8. All Dogs Go To Heaven
9. 101 Dalmatians
10. The Jungle Book
13. Lady and the Tramp
24. Bambi
25. Grace (one point movie)

46. Whisper of the Heart - Voting Stats

Total Points: 139
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Fantastic Planet.
9 Votes: 2nd Place (24 pts.), 3rd Place (23 pts.), 6th Place (20 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), 22nd Place (4 pts.)

45. Fantastic Planet - Voting Stats

Total Points: 139
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Whisper of the Heart but received more votes.
11 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts.), Three 14th Place (12 pts. each), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each)

I guess now's a good time to point everyone towards the Movie Club discussion on Fantastic Planet which we did earlier this year. As well as the podcast about the film featuring wintertriangles, rauldc14, and myself. It was good fun.

You can download the podcast here, or just listen to it via the embedded player below:

I thought both of these movies were terrific. Whisper of the Heart barely missed my list, and I had Fantastic Planet at #21.

My list-

7. Animal Farm
11. The Plague Dogs
16. The Wind Rises
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)

Whisper of the Heart was my #7. It's simply a masterpiece, beautiful, inventive, great music.

I also like Ghost in the Shell very cool, cold sci fi movie.

As for Dumbo, I didn't really care for it.

I hate Fantastic Planet, but mainly because I felt like going crazy and getting a headache watching it. The dark themes, the weird and creepy animation, and the unsettling eerie soundtrack...

I felt f*cking brainwashed watching it! But I do admire the unique animation and I understand the story behind it but don't see it as that well executed. I understand why one may like it though.

Haven't seen the other one.

Fantastic Planet was my #1.

Here's what I wrote about it back for the Movie Club discussion. It's not great and I ought to do a fine-tuned review for it some time, but yeah, I freaking love this flick.

I’m not great at explaining my thoughts on films but I’ll give it a try.

I first saw Fantastic Planet in my teens, I think. It’s possible I saw it when I was younger, but I consider my first viewing to be in my teens, because that’s when it was really cemented as one of my favorite films. I used to be kind of an artist, and Fantastic Planet inspired me like nothing else. I actually remember printing out screenshots and trying to learn crosshatching by tracing them. I absolutely adore its art style. It’s really a film where you could take just about any frame and put it up on the wall as a piece of art. People have called it stale, but I think the lack of fluid motion is part of the charm, really. It adds to the unique, alien feel of the film.

The score is my favorite score in film. I’ve listened to the soundtrack over and over again, and I’ve never gotten bored with it. I used to drive around and listen to it, trying to come up with story ideas, and again it inspired me to think up weird stories.

Lastly, I think this is the greatest portrayal of an alien world in cinematic history. I’ve never seen anything better. It’s surreal and weird, and it’s absolutely beautiful. Every viewing of Fantastic Planet has been a profound experience for me.

Here’s a painting my sister made for me for Christmas 2008.

Oh, and if anyone didn't know it, my avatar right now is Roland Topor, the lead artist for the film.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I STILL haven't seen Fantastic Planet, so I really need to get around to it at some point.

Whisper of the Heart was never going to make my list. Sure, it's sweet and all that, but there's just not a lot to it. There's a girl, there's a boy, they go through several periods of "meet cute", and there's also a gold cat. It's a standard Ghibli film which doesn't explore it's themes as well as Totoro or Spirited Away did. Basic.

Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
I had Ghost in the Shell at Number ONE. Pretty much my favorite animated film ever. Cliche these days, perhaps, but i was there right at release, and when it first hit, everyone was talking about it. Well, people that liked animation, anyway. I also really like A Scanner Darkly a whole lot, saw it multiple times in the theater, and still pop it in from time to time these days. I had A Scanner Darkly at number FIVE.