The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think I've only seen the 2 Satoshi Kon movies and 5 CM per Seconds so far.

I had Yellow Submarine at #6.

Unfortunately I cannot find the video I wanna post on Youtube.

Hercules was my #11. We had been learning about Greek mythology in class, which was a much more enjoyable subject than whatever the hell else they were teaching us back then, so I was already interested in all the various gods and characters and monsters and whatnot. Plus I used to watch the TV show from time to time starring Kevin Sorbo, so the Disney movie came along at the perfect time. My initial viewing was at an after-school pizza party the school held for students who had made the honors list. One room was showing Air Bud, the other Hercules. I chose the latter, and it instantly became one of my favorite animated movies.

For me, James Woods's amazing vocal performance as Hades is right up there with Robin Williams as the Genie. He brings something completely unexpected to the character. In fact, I used to actively root for Hades, which might be worrisome, but he was just so damn entertaining and funny and wickedly cool in the film that I couldn't help it. I used to hate the songs in most Disney films, but Hercules and The Lion King were the exceptions. Even after all these years, I still have some of the lyrics to "Zero to Hero" stuck in my head. The movie was fun, fast-paced, funny, entertaining. Even as a kid, I had an interest in the macabre, so the creepier imagery and characters during the Underworld sequences appealed to the burgeoning weirdo/gothic side of me. The voices fit the characters perfectly, whether it was Danny DeVito as Phil, or outside-the-box choices like Bobcat Goldthwait as Hades's henchman or Paul Shaffer as Hermes.

I still own the movie on VHS. I watched it a few years ago and enjoyed it just as much as I did when I was a kid. I maintain that it's one of Disney's most underrated animated features.

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was my #17. Santa may bring the presents every Christmas Eve, but Rudolph's TV special ushers in the holiday season. I've been watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer since I was at least three years old, and I still watch it almost every year when Christmastime nears. I'm not a festive guy. I generally dread the holiday season. Yet Rudolph is so inherently cute and charming and magical that it continues to bring a smile to my face and conjure Christmas memories of old every time I watch it.

The stop-motion animation isn't as smooth as what we're used to nowadays, but considering that it's fifty years old, I think it holds up well for the most part. The story itself is highly imaginative and even somewhat surreal. The characters are iconic. Burl Ives's narration is total class. The songs are hokey yet enjoyable. The abominable snowman used to frighten me to death as a kid, so those particular scenes were quite effective. Plus the themes are important and timeless. Many times throughout my life I've felt like a Misfit Toy, so I think Rudolph is a vital early tool to teach children that it's okay to be different and to celebrate those differences instead of hiding who you are.

Beavis and Butt-head Do America was my #20. I never expected it to make the countdown, so its inclusion is a very pleasant surprise. I also voted for the show in the TV Countdown, so I'm a big fan. I can't count the number of times I've quoted these lovable idiots or imitated their iconic laughter and their voices. (For the record, I can do a much better Beavis impersonation than Butt-head.) Beavis and Butt-head are two of my favorite characters of all-time. Huhuhuhuh. Cool.

The only problem with the show is that the skits are so short, but Do America proved that Beavis and Butt-head could maintain their hilarity over an extended period of time without growing tiresome or repetitive. The film contains so many laugh-out-loud scenes, like when the boys start fighting in the hotel room over who is going to "do" the woman, or when they meet their fathers out in the desert, or when The Great Cornholio ("I need TP for my bunghole!") causes havoc at the White House. Beavis's hallucination sequence is a fantastic bit of animation, courtesy of Rob Zombie. I like Mike Judge a lot anyway (as of right now, it looks like my nomination of Hank Hill is going to win the TV Characters Tournament), and I think he excels at dumb, stupid, juvenile humor that actually originates from a smart place, if that makes any sense.

Kung Fu Panda was my #24. I don't have any strong passion about it and I've only seen it once, but I did enjoy it a lot and I thought it was worthy of making the countdown, so I threw it on the tail-end of my list. I'm not the biggest fan of Jack Black, but I think he's the perfect fit for the character's voice. The core of the story is very familiar stuff, but it's one that has always appealed to me. I love stories about unassuming people who realize they're destined for greatness. The whole idea of "the chosen one" always gets me pumped, whether it's Po in Kung Fu Panda or Neo in The Matrix or Harry Potter in the book series or Link in The Legend of Zelda video games. It's wish fulfillment, I guess, since it allows everyday people to temporarily break from the drab monotony of existence and fulfill that particular fantasy of being meant for something important. I thought the animation in Kung Fu Panda was very impressive. The sequence where Tai Lung escapes from the prison was a very thrilling and memorable sequence. Plus it's a movie about a panda learning kung fu, so that gets bonus points just for being simultaneously adorable and bad ass.

My List So Far:
#6) All Dogs Go to Heaven
#11) Hercules
#15) The Brave Little Toaster
#16) Frankenweenie
#17) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
#20) Beavis and Butt-head Do America
#24) Kung Fu Panda

Lord High Filmquisitor
I liked Despicable Me, even if I found it only to be average. I certainly underatand the appeal of it, though (and will be summarily dragged to see Minions next year, to be sure).

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I really liked Despicable Me. It almost made my list and it was one of the hardest cuts. I didn't even want to see it at first. I thought it looked overly cutesy and not very funny. It may be really cutesy but it's never irritatingly so. I love the kids and Carell does a great job with the voice acting. I can't believe I used to detest him.

Yellow Submarine is good, but not one of my favorites.

60. The Illusionist - Voting Stats

Total Points: 106
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
8 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.)

59. The Jungle Book - Voting Stats

Total Points: 109
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
10 Votes: 4th Place (22 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 13th Place (13 pts.), 14th Place (12 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each), 25th Place (1 pt.)

I watched The Illusionist for the list and really enjoyed it, but couldn't make room for it on my ballot. I was glad to see it make the top 100 without my help.

If I've seen The Jungle Book it hasn't been since I was little and I don't remember it pretty much at all.

I love Jungle Book. Looks like I put it the highest at my number 4
Me and my son were only talking about it this morning and he was saying how much he loved the songs in it. We used to watch it a lot when my boys were little

While've not seen the Jungle Book in some time, remember it well enough to place #21 on my list. Baloo's among my favorite animated characters, voiced by a guy i always liked in Phil Harris. grown to connect with the 'Bare Necessities' song over the years

list so far

7. the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie
8. the Adventures of Prince Achmed
9. Kung Fu Panda
15. Animal Farm
17. Mulan
21. the Jungle Book
23. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Both of these marvelous films were on my list! The Illusionist was my #19 and Jungle Book was my #14!

The Illusionist is simply a brilliant depiction and revival of Jacques Tati's style through animation (it's based on one of his screenplays). It looks fantastic and it touches on the viewer's emotions through subtle details. Sadness, beauty... This film has it all! I love the sheer experience of this film. It's so warm and touching. It's like eating a delicious piece of warm pie while listening to sad, but beautiful classical music in the dark by the fire, with occasionally a more cheerful and hopeful fragment throughout.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jungle Book has always been one of my favorite Disney films. I still consider it as a part of the classic Disney films, because I feel like it still has that vintage, old-fashioned vibe to it. The reason why I like this film so much is probably the environment it's set in. The jungle seems like such a rich, adventurous and sometimes idyllic place, even though it also has its obvious dangers. For a young kid and even for an adult, it's fun to imagine how it would be like to live as a bear in the jungle, drifting on a river and living the good life without any real worries.
That theme of escapism is also depicted in The Lion King (when Simba meets Timon and Pumba). In The Lion King Simba learns that a life like that doesn't hold up in the long run, because everyone has responsibilities to live up to at some point in their lives if they ever want to reach the full potential that lies within them and in Jungle Book the "bear necessities" way of living ultimately doesn't hold up because Mowgli discovers a bigger sensation in the end, the sensation of curiosity and human attraction that will probably lead to a "higher way of living" than he could ever achieve in the animal world. I love both Disney pictures for different reasons, but they do have that interesting theme in common (although it's resolved in a different manner).

Great pair!

I liked The Illusionist. Watched it after I submitted my list, it wouldn't have made it however.

For Chomet my favourite is The Old Lady and the Pigeons: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127710/

Doubt it will make the list, but still nice to see his two other animated films will likely make it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."