1. Amelie (Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain)
2001. Director: Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Starring: Audrey Tautou.
“This movie makes me smile so much that my cheeks hurt after viewing it. Tautou is adorable, charming, and sweeter than sugar. I love this film.”

2. City of God (Cidade de Deus)
2002. Directors: Kátia Lund and Fernando Meirelles. Starring: Alexandre Rodrigues and Leandro Firmino da Hora.
“I can’t believe how realistic this film is. It’s like watching a documentary. The acting is top-notch and its style is superb.”

3. Cool Hand Luke
1967. Director: Stuart Rosenberg. Starring: Paul Newman and George Kennedy.
“Paul Newman is one of the most likable actors who has ever lived. In this film, he is the underdog who never stops fighting and he plays the part perfectly.”

4. The Blair Witch Project

1999. Directors: Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez. Starring: Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, and Michael, Williams.
“This is the only movie that genuinely creeped me out. There is no other film like this and I believe it will go down in history as being a one of a kind forever.”

5. The Wizard of Oz
1939. Director: Victor Fleming. Starring: Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Margaret Hamilton, and Billie Burke.
“There is no other film that can still instill in me the wonderment of childhood like this one can.”

6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
1981. Director: Steven Spielberg. Starring: Harrison Ford and Karen Allen.
“The greatest swashbuckling adventure movie of all time, forever giving me the opinion that Steven Speilberg deserves to be called one of the greatest director’s of our time.”

7. The Godfather
1972. Director: Francis Ford Coppola. Starring: Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, James Caan, and Sofia Coppola.
“The Godfather of all gangster flicks. Easily on of the greatest films of all time.”

8. Metropolis
1927. Director: Fritz Lang. Starring: Alfred Abel, Gustav Frohlich, Brigitte Helm, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Fritz Rasp, Theodor Loos, Heinrich George.
“This movie breaks my heart, because there is over an hours worth of footage that is lost forever. It’s astonishing the vision that Lang had back in the day.”

9. Papillon
1973. Director: Franklin J. Schaffner. Starring: Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.
“McQueen and Hoffman give performances that resonate with despair and pain. My favorite McQueen movie of them all.”

10. How Green Was My Valley
1941. Director: John Ford. Starring: Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, Donald Crisp, Anna Lee, and Roddy McDowall.
“This movie has a sad beauty to it that I have never seen anywhere else. It is also Roddy McDowall’s first movie.”

11. Blade Runner
1982. Director: Ridley Scott. Starring: Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer, and Darryl Hannah.
“One of the deepest sci-fi flicks ever made. It also broke the Han Solo type-cast that might have ruined Harrison Ford. Splendid visuals that can easily go head to head with the best of the CGI used today,”

12. Yojimbo
1961. Director: Akira Kurosawa. Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Eijiro Tono, Kamatari Fujiwara, and Takashi Shimura.
“If you like Fistfull of Dollars and Last Man Standing, then this movie will show you where the ideas of those films came from. Not only that, but it will prove that this one is the masterpiece of the three.”

13. A Fish Called Wanda
1988. Directors: Charles Crichton and John Cleese. Starring: John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, and Michael Palin.
“Kevin Kline is a comedic God! This is one of the best comedies ever made.”

14. Ben-Hur

1959. Director: William Wyler. Starring: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, Stephen Boyd, Haya Harareet, and Hugh Griffith.
“A sweeping epic that still takes my breath away, even though I’ve seen it over a dozen times.”

15. Unforgiven
1992. Director: Clint Eastwood. Starring: Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, and Richard Harris.
“This is easily the best western ever made. That says a lot since I’m such a big fan of Leone.”

16. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

1964. Director: Stanley Kubrick. Starring: Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Keenan Wynn, and Slim Pickens.
“Sellers and Scott give virtuoso performances in this Kubrick classic that is just as prevalent today as it was the day it was released.”

17. Goodfellas
1990. Director: Martin Scorsese. Starring: Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, Ray Liotta, Paul Sorvino, and Lorraine Bracco.
“Joe Pesci steals the show in this Scorsese classic.”

18. Singin' in the Rain
1952. Director: Stanley Donen. Starring: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Conner, and Debbie Reynolds.
“I saw this for the first time when I was just a child and it mesmerized me. I’ll always be in love with Debbie Reynolds.”

19. Amadeus
1984. Director: Milos Forman. Starring: Tom Hulce, F. Murray Abraham, and Jeffrey Jones.
“A powerfully sad and equally comedic portrayal by Hulce and Abraham deserved the Oscar.”

20. Schindler's List
1993. Director: Steven Spielberg. Starring: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, and Ralph Fiennes.
“After finishing this on tape for the first time, I rewound it, and watched again. Powerful and compelling.”

21. Glory

1989. Director: Edward Zwick. Starring: Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes, Morgan Freeman, and Andre Braugher.
“This movie is, in my opinion, Broderick’s best movie. It makes me feel a fierce pride for all five of the central characters.”

22. Once Upon A Time In The West (C'era una volta il West)
1968. Director: Sergio Leone. Starring: Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, and Gabriele Ferzetti.
“I love Fonda playing the villainous Frank. I also love how all four of the main character’s have their own theme music when they’re on the screen. Truly a one of a kind western.”

23. Raising Arizona
1987. Directors: Joel & Ethan Coen. Starring: Nicolas Cage, Holly HunterJohn Goodman, and William Forsythe.
“This is the first Coen movie I had ever seen. It will always remain one of my favorite comedies of all time.”

24. Dancer in the Dark
2000. Director: Lars von Trier. Starring: Björk, Catherine Deneuve, David Morse, and Peter Stormare.
“Tragic, frustrating, sad, depressing, and absolutely wonderful. Too bad for us that Björk promised to never act again in a movie.”

25. JFK
1991. Director: Oliver Stone. Starring: Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Joe Pesci, Kevin Bacon, Laurie Metcalf, and Gary Oldman.
“This is my favorite Stone movie. Chock full of amazing actors and an intense story line that never rests.”

26. The Bridge on the River Kwai
1957. Director: David Lean. Starring: Alec Guinness, William Holden, Jack Hawkins, and Sessue Hayakawa.
“One of the best examples of generating the emotion of futility in an audience. One of Guinness’ best movies, and ranks as my 2nd favorite Lean movie.”

27. Brazil
1985. Director: Terry Gilliam. Starring: Johathan Pryce, Kim Greist, Robert De Niro, Katherine Helmond, Ian Holm, Bob Hoskins, and Michael Palin.
“Not many movies can capture the imagination as this one can. One of a kind.”

28. Forrest Gump
1994. Director: Robert Zemeckis. Starring: Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise, Sally Field, and Robin Wright.
“One of my favorite feel good movies ever. It also made me a Hanks fan for life.”

29. Mulholland Drive
2001. Director: David Lynch. Starring: Naomi Watts, Laura Herring, and Justin Theroux.
“This movie made my head explode upon first viewing in many different ways. Confusion, fear, repulsion, and anxiety. Lynch’s finest work.”

30. Chicago
2002. Director: Rob Marshall. Starring: Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, and John C. Reilly.
“I had an overwhelming desire to tap my feet while watching this. It also had some of the best music of any musical from this generation.”

31. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2003. Director: Peter Jackson. Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Ian Holm, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, John Rhys-Davies, Cate Blanchett, Miranda Otto, Bernard Hill, Liv Tyler, David Wenham, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis.
“I don’t really need to say anything, do I?”

32. The Lion King
1994. Directors: Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff. Starring: Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons, Nathan Lane, Ernie Sabella, James Earl Jones, and Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
“The most powerful and entertaining Disney movie ever made.”

33. Shane
1953. Director: George Stevens. Starring: Alan Ladd, Van Heflin, Jean Arthur, Brandon De Wilde, Jack Palance, and Ben Johnson.
“A very quiet intensity in this film, also arguably Ladd’s best performance of his career.”

34. Duck Soup
1933. Director: Leo McCarey. Starring: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Zeppo Marx.
“The Marx Brothers are still unparalleled when it comes to mixing sharp wit with physical comedy. No other comedy troupe has ever been so successful.”

35. Alien

1979. Director: Ridley Scott. Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Veronica Cartwright, Harry Dean Stanton, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Yaphet Kotto, Bolaji Badejo, and Helen Horton.
“I was a little kid when I saw this in the theater, there are still claw marks on the arms of the seat I used.”

36. The Killing Fields
1984. Director: Roland Joffre. Starring: Sam Waterston, Haing S. Ngro, and John Malkovich.
“A humbling view of hardship. More humbling because a man who lived through it also starred in it. I’m still furious at the punk who murdered him.”

37. Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo cinema Paradiso)
1989. Director: Guiseppe Tornatore. Starring: Antonella Attili, Enzo Cannavale, Isa Danieli, Leo Gullotta, Marco Leonardi, and Pupella Maggio.
“Two versions exist. The original a lovely story of a boy who befriends a fatherly figure and the Director’s cut which makes it a bittersweet love story. Both versions are wonderful.”

38. The Godfather: Part II
1974. Director: Francis Ford Coppola. Starring: Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Diane Keaton, John Cazale, Robert Duvall, and Talia Shire.
“Arguably the best sequel ever made, just as powerful as its predecessor.”

39. Lawrence of Arabia

1962. Director: David Lean. Starring: Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Alec Guinness, Anthony Quinn, Jack Hawkins, and Jose Ferrer.
“The greatest epic ever made. Visuals’ so stunning in their simplicity and a musical score that is breathtaking. O’Toole and Sharif give powerhouse performances that will live on in memory forever.”

40. The Great Escape
1963. Director: John Sturges. Starring: Steve McQueen, James Garner, James Coburn, Richard Attenborough, James Donald, Charles Bronson, and Donald Pleasence.
“The greatest escape movie ever made with an ensemble that is a dream. McQueen gives his most memorable performance as The Cooler King.”

41. Braveheart

1995. Director: Mel Gibson. Starring: Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau, Catherine McCormack, and Patrick McGoohan.
“Gibson made one of the greatest epic stories of a nations quest for freedom ever filmed. McGoohan also rates as one of the most evil villains ever devised for the big screen.”

42. Midnight Cowboy
1969. Director: John Schlesinger. Starring: Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight.
“The first ‘X’ rated film to ever be nominated in any category in Oscar history. It also proves Hoffman is one of the greatest actors of his, or any, generation.”

43. 2001: A Space Odyssey
1968. Director: Stanley Kubrick. Starring: Keir Dullea, Gary Lockwood, William Sylvester, Daniel Richter, and Leonard Rossiter.
“When I was a kid and watched this, it made me become a dreamer. From then on, I knew that mankind was capable of anything.”

44. The Empire Strikes Back
1980. Director: Irvin Kershner. Starring: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Alec Guinness, and Billy Dee Williams.
“The most epic of any of the Star Wars movies, and has, perhaps, the most memorable score of any movie ever made.”

45. Triplets of Belleville (Les Triplettes de Belleville)
2003. Director: Sylvain Chomet. Starring: Michèle Caucheteux, Jean-Claude Donda, Michel Robin, and Monica Viegas.
“A brand new and completely original animated movie that still lingers in my mind today. It should join the annuals of one of a kind filmmaking.”

46. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
1975. Director: Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones. Starring: Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, John Cleese, Terry Jones, and Graham Chapman.
“Proves that Monty Python was absolutely one of a kind. No one will ever be able to accomplish such creative humor like they did.”

47. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
1975. Director: Milos Forman. Starring: Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher.
“Nicholson provides another of his long succession of pitch-perfect performances. Its ending is one of the most poignant of all time”

48. An Officer and a Gentleman
1982. Director: Taylor Hackford. Starring: Richard Gere, Debra Winger, Lou Gossett, Jr., and David Keith.
“The first love story that I ever loved. Where is Winger nowadays anyway? She was one of my favorites.”

49. Touch of Evil

1958. Director: Orson Welles. Starring: Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Orson Welles, and Marlene Dietrich.
“Orson Welles gives his greatest performance ever, catapulting this movie into my top 100.”

50. Moulin Rouge!
2001. Director: Baz Luhrmann. Starring: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, and Richard Roxburgh.
“A visual smorgasbord unlike any other. A real classic.”

51. The Odd Couple
1968. Director: Gene Saks. Starring: Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau.
“Has some of the most memorable quotes of any comedy I have ever seen. I also adore Lemmon and Matthau, that makes it easy for me to choose this one.”

52. A Clockwork Orange

1971. Director: Stanley Kubrick. Starring: Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates, Warren Clarke, and John Clive.
“McDowell delivers the most original dialect of any movie I’ve ever seen.”

53. Donnie Darko
2002. Director: Richard Kelly. Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Katherine Ross, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osbourne, Drew Berrymore, Noah Wyle, Maggie Gyllenhall, Patrick Swayze, James Duval, Arthur Taxier, Beth Grant, and Daveigh Chase.
“Not really a four star movie, but it hit me right between the eyes. Smart, moody, and with a score that crawls into your head, this movie is one of my favorites.”

54. The Professional (Léon)
1994. Director: Luc Besson. Starring: Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman, Danny Aiello.
“Portman took my heart and still hasn’t given it back. Oldman takes over Hoffman’s role as best movie villain with this movie.”

55. Jaws
1975. Director: Steven Speilberg. Starring: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss.
“The first summer blockbuster blew my mind when I saw it opening day with my Aunt. I’ll never forget all the gasps and screams in the theater.”

56. The Bicycle Thief (Ladri di biciclette)
1948. Director: Vittorio De Sica. Starring: Lamberto Maggiori, Enzo Staiola, Lianella Carella.
“A documentary style film that shows us that our lives really aren’t all that bad. The message will stick with you forever…if you let it.”

57. Bringing Out the Dead
1999. Director: Martin Scorsese. Starring: Nicolas Cage, John Goodman, Marc Anthony, Patricia Arquette, Tom Sizemore, and Ving Rhames.
“Another Scorsese tour de force that resonates with style and artistic vision. Mix that with perfect performances by its stars and you have a new classic.”

58. The Royal Tenenbaums
2001. Director: Wes Anderson. Starring: Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Gwyneth Paltrow, Owen Wilson, Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller, Bill Murray, and Danny Glover.
“A great and quirky cast with a wonderful and quirky story. Music that is unforgetable and perfectly used.”

59. The Silence of the Lambs
1991. Director: Jonathan Demme. Starring: Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott Glenn, Ted Levine, Diane Baker, and Brooke Smith.
“The first thriller to win the Oscar for best picture and also made legends out of Foster and Hopkins.”

60. The General
1927. Director: Buster Keaton. Starring: Buster Keaton.
“Buster Keaton proved that, regardless of Chaplin, he was one of a kind.”

61. The Outsiders
1983. Director: Francis Ford Coppola. Starring: C. Thomas Howell, Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Leif Garrett, and Diane Lane.
“This film has so many budding stars with absolutely no ego in the way. I love it because of Dillon’s performance most of all.”

62. Pulp Fiction
1994. Director: Quentin Tarantino. Starring: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames, Bruce Willis, Eric Stoltz, and Rosanna Arquette.
“A first in movie history. It made superstars out of virtually everyone involved.”

63. The Thing

1982. Director: John Carpenter. Starring: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, T.K. Carter, David Clennon, Keith David, Richard Masur, Donald Moffat, and Richard A. Dysart.
“Never before this had I felt such suspense. It probably helped that I was stoned out of my gourd.”

64. The Crying Game
1992. Director: Neil Jordan. Starring: Stephen Rea, Miranda Richardson, Jaye Davidson, and Forest Whitaker.
“Whitaker, Rea, and Richardson make up an ensemble that still blows my mind, with their collective talent to this day.”

65. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1977. Director: Steven Spielberg. Starring: Richard Dreyfuss, Francois Truffaut, Teri Garr, Melinda Dillon, and Bob Balaban.
“A classic example of a great sci-fi, and also one of the first that made ‘them’ good guys.”

66. The Ten Commandments

1956. Director: Cecil B. Demille. Starring: Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter, Edward G. Robinson, Yvonne De Carlo, Debra Paget, John Derek, Sir Cedric Hardwicke, Nina Foch.
“An Easter tradition that I still try to never miss. The greatest biblical story ever put to film.”

67. Dead End
1937. Director: William Wyler. Starring: Joel McCrea, Sylvia Sidney, and Humphrey Bogart.
“My favorite Bogart role, and McCrea has a charisma that many actors today can only dream about.”

68. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo)
1967. Director: Sergio Leone. Starring: Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef.
“A wonderful film of greed, revenge, and despair. Eastwood was the coolest man alive back in the day of this films popularity.”

69. Star Wars
1977. Director: George Lucas. Starring: Alec Guinness, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Mark Hamill, and Peter Cushing.
“My first true cinematic experience where I fell in love with a movie. Eight years old, opening day, hundreds in line waiting. I’ll always consider it one of my fondest memories.”

70. Sling Blade
1996. Director: Billy Bob Thornton. Starring: Billy Bob Thornton, Dwight Yoakam, Natalie Canerday, Lucas Black, John Ritter, J.T. Walsh, and Robert Duvall.
“Thornton is a truly gifted performer in all aspects. This film is quiet and powerful and will always be among my favorites.”

71. Journey to the Center of the Earth
1959. Director: Henry Levin. Starring: Pat Boone, James Mason, Arlene Dahl, Diane Baker, Thayer David, Peter Ronson, Robert Adler, Alan Napier.
“My first favorite movie. Totally dated compared to films today, but it will always have a spot in my heart.”

72. Days of Wine and Roses
1962. Director: Blake Edwards. Starring: Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick.
“The best of all addiction movies, only barely edging out Requiem for a Dream and Clean and Sober.”

73. The Princess Bride

1987. Director: Rob Reiner. Starring: Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Christopher Guest, Wallace Shawn, Chris Sarandon, Robin Wright Penn, Peter Falk, Fred Savage, and Andre the Giant.
“A one of a kind fantasy mixed with comedy that will forever have memorable quotes.”

74. Being John Malkovich
1999. Director: Spike Jonze. Starring: John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener, John Malkovich, and orson Bean.
“Another one of a kind film that propelled Kaufman as a premier screenwriter.”

75. Ed Wood
1994. Director: Tim Burton. Starring: Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, G.D. Spradlin, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Bill Murray.
“My favorite Depp movie as well as my favorite Burton movie. It doesn’t hurt that I’ve always been fond of Landau, and this film was the one that generated the recognition that he’s always deserved.”

76. Monty Python's Life of Brian
1979. Director: Terry Jones. Starring: Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin.
“My favorite Python film. Every time I watch it I mourn a little for Chapman.”

77. Saving Private Ryan
1998. Director: Steven Spielberg. Starring: Tom Hanks, Edward Burns, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Ted Danson, Dennis Farina, Barry Pepper, Jeremy Davies, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Paul Giamatti, Dylan Bruno, Leland Orser, and Adam Goldberg.
“The greatest opening sequence of any war film in history. Also so many heart wrenching losses, no other war film has made me relate so well with so many characters.”

78. In The Name of the Father
1993. Director: Jim Sheridan. Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Emma Thompson, and Pete Postlethwaite.
“A perfect film for a son. It made me cry.”

79. Gosford Park
2001. Director: Robert Altman. Starring: Kristin Scott Thomas, Stephen Fry, Emily Watson, Ryan Phillippe, Maggie Smith, Jeremy Northam, Alan Bates, Helen Mirren, Richard E. Grant, Tom Hollander, and Michael Gambon.
“The first Altman film I have seen since I made it past thirty years old. It has made me want to revisit all of his works, because when I was younger, I didn’t appreciate them enough. Now I feel he’s a movie God!”

80. Rear Window
1954. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. Starring: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, Wendell Corey, and Raymond Burr.
“The first Hitchcock movie I had ever seen. I have loved every film he has ever made because of it.”

81. Taxi Driver
1976. Director: Martin Scorsese. Starring: Robert DeNiro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Peter Boyle, Harvey Keitel, and Albert Brooks.
“De Niro proves in this film that he is a Titan in the movie industry. One of the most compelling anti-heroes of all modern film.”

82. Raging Bull
1980. Director: Martin Scorsese. Starring: Robert DeNiro, Cathy Moriarty, and Joe Pesci.
“Another De Niro powerhouse performance. He seemed so real he was terrifying. Thank God he wasn’t my brother,”

83. Young Frankenstein

1974. Director: Mel Brooks. Starring: Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman, and Teri Garr.
“The greatest of all Brooks films. So many funny moments that my side hurts even though I’ve seen it a dozen times.”

84. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
1971. Director: Robert Altman. Starring Warren Beatty and Julie Christie.
“My favorite Beatty film and Christie is a wonder. It also has one of the most realistic looks of any film supposed to be portraying the old west. A miserable atmosphere and a tragic story.”

85. Blow Out
1981. Director: Brian De Palma. Starring: John Travolta, Nancy Allen, John Lithgow, and Dennis Franz.
“De Palma’s best work to date as far as I’m concerned. Travolta proved back then that he was a star, too bad he made so many poor choices though.”

86. Chinatown
1974. Director: Roman Polanski. Starring: Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, John Hillerman, Perry Lopez, Burt Young, John Huston, Darrell Zwerling, and Diane Ladd.
“Arguably the greatest script ever written and perhaps the best noir ever made. Nicholson and Young deliver ultra-powerful performances.”

87. North by Northwest
1959. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. Starring: Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, and James Mason.
“After seeing all of Hitchcock’s films, this one stands out as his greatest and fastest paced. Legendary filmmaking.”

88. Pink Floyd The Wall

1982. Director: Alan Parker. Starring: Bob Geldof, Bob Hoskins, and Christine Hargreaves.
“The greatest album to film ever told. Music that haunts, stories that repulse, and artistry that overwhelms.”

89. Rocky
1976. Director: John G. Avildsen. Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Talia Shire, Burt Young, Burgess Meredith, and Carl Weathers.
“My favorite underdog film of all. Great respect for Stallone’s vision and acting ability. Maybe if he hadn’t gone for the easy buck so often, he’d be more of a legend.”

90. Caddyshack
1980. Director: Harold Ramis. Starring: Michael O'Keefe, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Murray, and Ted Knight.
“One of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. Comedy delivered perfectly by all concerned. A true comedy classic.”

91. The Gold Rush
1925. Director: Charles Chaplin. Starring: Charles Chaplin, Mack Swain, Tom Murray, Henry Bergman, Malcolm Waite, and Georgia Hale.
“Chaplin’s personal favorite of all his films, and my favorite as well. Chaplin will always be my favorite of his generation and genre.”

92. Breaking the Waves
1996. Director: Lars von Trier. Starring: Emily Watson, Stellan Skarsgård, Katrin Cartlidge, and Adrian Rawlins.
"A brutal yet uplifting story. Movies rarely make me sob, but this one did."

93. L.A. Confidential
1997. Director: Curtis Hanson. Starring: Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, David Strathairn, Kim Basinger, and Danny DeVito.
“My favorite noir made in my generation. Awesome performances by all the leading cast, a script that was exceptional, and a look that made it perfection.”

94. Aguirre: The Wrath of God (Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes)
1973. Director: Werner Herzog. Starring: Klaus Kinski.
“A story of madness like none other. Herzog and Kinski made a difficult that will always be in a class of its own.”

95. To Live (Huozhe)
1994. Director: Zhang Yimou. Starring: Ge You and Gong Li.
“My favorite of all Chinese movies that I’ve seen. Epic in scale and truly, deeply, sad. Yet, there is a hope in that sadness that is uplifting.”

96. Gandhi
1982. Director: Richard Attenborough. Starring: Ben Kingsley, Candice Bergen, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, John Mills, Martin Sheen.
“Kingsley establishes himself as one of the best actors of his generation in a movie that doesn’t beleaguer us with cheap sentimentality.”

97. Bonnie and Clyde
1967. Director: Arthur Penn. Starring: Warren Beaty, Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Pollard, Gene Hackman, Estelle Parsons
“Ultra violent, sweetly loving, and oddly sentimental. The best renegade gangster flick ever made.”

98. The Untouchables
1987. Director: Brian De Palma. Starring: Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Charles Martin Smith, Andy Garcia, and Robert De Niro.
“Not the greatest flick, but it has always stuck with me because of its unique style and sound.”

99. Dogville
2003. Director: Lars von Trier. Starring: Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, Ben Gazzara, Philip Baker Hall, Lauren Bacall, Blair Brown, Harriet Andersson, Patricia Clarkson, Jeremy Davies, Chloë Sevigny, James Caan, and John Hurt.
“A new favorite to my list. It’s there because I love originality. After seeing this movie, I’m sure you will agree that there is no other film quite like this one. Top-notch narration, directing, and acting all around, and it made me a Trier fan.”

100. Excalibur

1981. Director: John Boorman. Starring: Nicol Williamson, Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Cherie Lunghi, Nicholas Clay, Liam Neeson, and Patrick Stewart.
“Another film that is best appreciated if seen when it was current. As far as I’m concerned, no other movie about Arthur will ever compare.”
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."