Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Removing watermarks from videos, best methods? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=70189)

Citizen Rules 04-19-24 07:25 PM

Removing watermarks from videos, best methods?

I hate watermarks on videos. I was watching an old film noir that I downloaded from Youtube but it had a watermark on it from some TV station that originally aired it. I've seen movies where it looks like they placed a blur tool over where a watermark was and it hides it by blurring it, which looks better.

Does anyone do video editing here? Know of any free programs that can remove or obscure a watermark? And no I'm not trying to upload the video as my own. I just hate watching a classic movie with a station ID or watermark in the corner.

Yoda 04-19-24 07:34 PM

Re: Removing watermarks from videos, best methods?

You're probably not realistically going to get a way to just straight-up remove it, particularly with free software. The best you can probably do is just to blur that tiny bit of the screen, but I wonder if that's necessarily better. Your call, I suppose.

For something that simple, even a built-in editor like Windows MovieMaker might do the trick. If not, DaVinci Resolve has a free version. But it'll involve a little bit of a learning curve, so you'll have to care about this a fair bit for it to be worthwhile, I think.

Citizen Rules 04-19-24 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2455853)
You're probably not realistically going to get a way to just straight-up remove it, particularly with free software. The best you can probably do is just to blur that tiny bit of the screen, but I wonder if that's necessarily better. Your call, I suppose.

For something that simple, even a built-in editor like Windows MovieMaker might do the trick. If not, DaVinci Resolve has a free version. But it'll involve a little bit of a learning curve, so you'll have to care about this a fair bit for it to be worthwhile, I think.
Thanks...I seen one old movie that someone had used the blur over the watermark and I preferred that over the watermark itself. I should mention I need a cross platform as I use Linux. DaVinci Resolve free version will work on Linux but the learning curve might be an issue for me. Any others?

Little Ash 05-19-24 02:08 AM

OpenShot, which is free, is reportedly available on Linux. I can't recall if there's a blur filter in there or not. There will probably be a learning curve. I only periodically open one of these types of apps for little personal projects, so my knowledge of them isn't great.

Citizen Rules 05-19-24 02:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Little Ash (Post 2461789)
OpenShot, which is free, is reportedly available on Linux. I can't recall if there's a blur filter in there or not. There will probably be a learning curve. I only periodically open one of these types of apps for little personal projects, so my knowledge of them isn't great.
Thanks for the reply. I have OpenShot as an app image but haven't really used it. I did find a brief mention of using Avidemux so I downloaded that as an app image and it did the trick, it blurred the watermark and matched the surrounding pixels to mask it, leaving a slight blur. These screenshots are from the noir Strange Fascination (1952)