Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Fantasy Football - Draft Day and Settings (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=23246)

Yoda 07-28-10 01:18 PM

MoFo Fantasy Football - Draft Day and Settings

Howdy.

Okay, so, seeing as how the owner recruiting thread has gotten pretty busy, and we seem to be just about full, I thought it wise to create a thread to discuss draft time, scoring, settings, and other league mechanics.

Owners (Username - Team Name)
  • Adam; no username (GWOW)
  • 7thson (Flash)
  • DexterRiley (Dextruction)
  • Fiscal (IDrinkYourMilkshake)
  • Juno MacGuff (Teen Terrors)
  • LTIZZY (Sookie's Suckers)
  • Piledriver (Beantown Champs)
  • Powdered Water (PW's Odd Squad)
  • rauldc14 (The No Name Gang)
  • Sedai (The Replicants)
  • TONGO (The Tongo Express)
  • upStomp (His Own Ego)
  • WBadger (Hired Goons)
  • Yoda (11 Angry Men)
I suppose we have two things to go over: finding the best time to draft, and deciding whether or not we want to tweak any settings.

Draft
We've gone the draft in late August each of the last two years, and I think it works pretty well. Gives us all time to plan our schedules around it a bit, gives us a bit more information on players and injuries than leagues that draft earlier, etc.

I'd like to propose Saturday, August 28th, at some time in the afternoon. Say, 2:00 PM EST, which would still be 11:00 AM for those of you on the west coast. What does everyone think?

Scoring and Settings
I think we all like the basic roster setup; 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R slot, a K, a team defense, and 6 bench spots. I'll assume we're all cool with either of those unless someone says otherwise.

I should note, for the new users, that we've been awarding 6 pts for passing TDs instead of the somewhat more common 4. We also deducted 2 points instead of 1 for QB interceptions, which matches the 2 points gained by team defenses for INTs. Seemed appropriate and it worked well to balance things last season.

The other wrinkle, and probably the only one we'll want to look at much, is PPR. Our first season, we had 0.5 PPR. Last year, we moved to a full point per reception. I thought it was okay, but it did seem extreme at times. I'd be fine with either, ultimately, though I guess if I had to pick I'd go with 0.5. But, again, fine with either.

Schedule
The nice thing about 14 teams, besides the competitive balance for players and the fact that it forces us to dig deeper for sleepers and the like, is that we have 13 regular season games, which means every time plays every other team once. I assume we all still like this and want to keep it?

If we do keep this, then our playoff schedule would probably stay the same: 6 of the 14 teams make the playoffs, with the top 2 teams getting byes. MoFo Bowl is still 1 week. I'd love to make it 2, but to do that we'd have to ditch the bye week and/or screw with the playoff teams and the lovely schedule symmetry, so I'm thinking it's just not quite worth it. But, of course, it's all up for discussion.

So, what's everyone think about a) the proposed draft time, b) the PPR issue, and c) the rest of the smaller issues?

Fiscal 07-28-10 01:39 PM

Re: MoFo Fantasy Football - Draft Day and Settings

You just made me really happy, I didn't think you had enough room for me. Good stuff, now I'm really excited!

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...=1164671049000

A) The proposed time works great for me!

B) What you layed out is how I played the last several years (.5 PPR - I would be fine with 1 PPR as well - so whatever everyone else decides I will go with), so once again - good to go.

C) I'm just happy to be playing, I am easy to please...

Yoda 07-28-10 01:41 PM

Well, if we held a spot for almost everyone who returned last year we probably wouldn't, but a few of the owners were either fairly absent last year and/or not around the site very much, so it hardly seemed fair to hold those spots in place of people who are here regularly and anxious to play. Besides, the league's a great way to get to know some of the newer users, in my experience. :)

Anyway, glad you're on board! We have an unreasonably large amount of fun with this thing.

upStomp 07-28-10 02:04 PM

Did we forget to mention the most important rule?

If you fail to show up for live chat 2 weeks in a row, we take your highest scoring player and sacrifice him to The Tongo. :D

Yoda 07-28-10 02:15 PM

Hehe. Yeah, a good half-dozen of us pop in almost every week on Yahoo's little StatTracker chat thing, and sometimes we'll get 8 or 10 in there. It's a little cramped, but a lot of fun.

DexterRiley 07-28-10 02:18 PM

In the Mofo set up, how many waiver moves can be made?

- The draft time works for me, plenty of time to make arrangements

- I like the idea of a full point for PPR, only as it rewards a possession receiver for moving the chains, often he's used in the red zone as a decoy and another WR vultures the TD.(yes thats Randy Moss territory), but as a noob, it doesnt really matter, so long as the decision can be finalized a few days prior to draft.

Yoda 07-28-10 02:20 PM

I don't believe we had any limit to the number of waiver moves, though there is a 2-day waiver period for dropped players, and a rolling priority list. I think those were/are all Yahoo! defaults.

Sedai 07-28-10 02:25 PM

Yes! The live chat is always going strong on Sunday at game time, and I highly recommend joining in on the fun.

Also - if my girlfriend wins this again this year, I will NEVER hear the end of it. Ever.

I am fine with the settings, with my only concern being that full point PPR does minimize a lot of the RBs a bit - it also makes Johnson the clear #1, as Peterson doesn't catch a ton of balls.

It also makes Reggie Bush look like her can play. ;)

DexterRiley 07-28-10 02:32 PM

1st time playing with yahoo, so this may be silly, but do punt/kick returns count for yards/td's?

Yoda 07-28-10 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 648152)
Also - if my girlfriend wins this again this year, I will NEVER hear the end of it. Ever.
Tell her she got lucky last year. :up:

*is still bitter*

I am fine with the settings, with my only concern being that full point PPR does minimize a lot of the RBs a bit - it also makes Johnson the clear #1, as Peterson doesn't catch a ton of balls.
Yeah, it makes a few RBs ridiculous monsters, too. I think 0.5 PPR does a really nice job of splitting the difference (which is appropriate, since it's a literal split). But we'll see how most owners feel. I'm fine going with the crowd, if there's any kind of consensus.

It also makes Reggie Bush look like her can play. ;)
Oh, what a Freudian slip.

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 648159)
1st time playing with yahoo, so this may be silly, but do punt/kick returns count for yards/td's?
Not silly at all: no on yards, yes on TDs. Any WR, RB, etc. that happens to return a kick or punt for a TD gets the 6 points for it.

Juno MacGuff 07-28-10 04:19 PM

I am in. All sounds good for me. :)

rauldc14 07-28-10 04:28 PM

I'm in for sure. Should be exciting since I have another draft the day after! Pumped for fantasy this year!

Sedai 07-28-10 04:40 PM

Excellent - glad to have the new folks on board! :)

rauldc14 07-28-10 04:46 PM

I love the chat on Stattracker as well. It can get quite fun on there sometimes.

Powdered Water 07-28-10 08:50 PM

Awesome. I like the full point, but I can live with .5 too. I'm such a big help.

Juno MacGuff 07-28-10 08:53 PM

Is there a league password coming in the future?

Powdered Water 07-28-10 08:56 PM

Yeppers. As soon as we get our last owner he'll probably hook us up with some linkage. Or, he may hit us sooner. Depends on how many changes get discussed first I reckon.

Patience, grasshopper. :)

Juno MacGuff 07-28-10 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 648415)
Yeppers. As soon as we get our last owner he'll probably hook us up with some linkage. Or, he may hit us sooner. Depends on how many changes get discussed first I reckon.

Patience, grasshopper. :)
I am hopping frantically.

rauldc14 07-28-10 09:09 PM

I can't wait either. Love football season!

Juno MacGuff 07-28-10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 648423)
I can't wait either. Love football season!
I watch the Ravens games all the time, but since I will be in this to beat everyone I will pay attention to the whole league.