Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MoFo Forum Upgrade (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18341)

Yoda 01-06-09 11:25 AM

MoFo Forum Upgrade

Hey MoFos.

Some of you might remember me talking about upgrading to the latest forum software when the next stable release came out. Well, vBulletin 3.8 Gold will be released this Thursday, January 8th.

As it so happens, I have some work-related things to do Thursday night, so the upgrade will likely take place sometime between Friday and Tuesday, depending on a variety of factors. Mainly, I'll be waiting for the free time necessary to debug a few things post-upgrade, and I'll be waiting for some diminished forum activity (IE: probably fairly late at night).

I'll update this thread when I have a better idea of when the upgrade might take place, though it's entirely possible I'll just up and do it if I have the time and the conditions are right.

Just wanted to let ya'll know.

n3wt 01-06-09 11:38 AM

Re: MoFo Forum Upgrade

Awesome mate look forward to see the upgrade.

mikeython1 01-06-09 06:04 PM

Will anything change from this upgrade? Or does it just make it run faster and smoother?

TheDOMINATOR 01-06-09 06:07 PM

I'm looking forward to the upgrade, Yoda. :cool:

Austruck 01-06-09 06:18 PM

Hey, TheDOMINATOR, I see Empire Records in your sig. A childhood friend of mine was involved with the music for that movie/soundtrack. Something like Music Producer or something.... I have to get out my CD and check, but I've always thought it cool that she worked on that movie's music. :)

Austruck 01-06-09 06:19 PM

Oops, sorry, O.T. there.

Yods, how long offline when it happens? Can you put up a placeholder announcement that we'd see at that point, if it's going to be a long time? Or won't that be necessary?

Austruck 01-06-09 06:28 PM

But you'll...what??? :)

Yoda 01-06-09 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikeython1 (Post 490168)
Will anything change from this upgrade? Or does it just make it run faster and smoother?
There will be a number of new features. I've also been working on a new forum home page, which I'll make public around (or at) the same time as the upgrade.

In addition to the new standard features, running the latest version will allow me to install some of the newer modifications available, as well, so expect plenty of new stuff in the weeks that follow the upgrade, too. :)

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 490181)
Yods, how long offline when it happens? Can you put up a placeholder announcement that we'd see at that point, if it's going to be a long time? Or won't that be necessary?
There'll be a message letting people know that we're upgrading the forum while it's happening.

Re: how long. The actual upgrade probably won't take more than 30 minutes or so (probably significantly less). But I'll probably have to spend a fair bit of time afterwards re-applying customizations I've made and making sure most of the new stuff works. That could be an hour or two, just to make sure most of the important stuff works.

It'll be ongoing, though; I fully expect to spend several days squashing smaller bugs.

TheDOMINATOR 01-06-09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Austruck (Post 490180)
Hey, TheDOMINATOR, I see Empire Records in your sig. A childhood friend of mine was involved with the music for that movie/soundtrack. Something like Music Producer or something.... I have to get out my CD and check, but I've always thought it cool that she worked on that movie's music. :)
That's pretty awesome, Austruck. I wish I knew someone who was involved in a theatrical film, but I don't. I have an uncle who guarded top-security government establishments at one point in his career, so that's something. :D

mikeython1 01-08-09 07:04 PM

Are you still doing the upgrade tonoight?

Yoda 01-08-09 07:11 PM

No -- wasn't ever planning to, though. I have some work-related stuff to do tonight, so it'll have to wait a bit. I might have a go at it tomorrow, but more likely it'll happen sometime over the weekend, or early next week.

martian leader 01-08-09 11:46 PM

We wont loose anything right? I mean what we post wont be lost correct? Are avatars, favorite movies, pictures, etc. they wont get deleted during the upgrade will they? Just making sure. ;)

Ðèstîñy 01-09-09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by martian leader (Post 491055)
We wont loose anything right? I mean what we post wont be lost correct? Are avatars, favorite movies, pictures, etc. they wont get deleted during the upgrade will they? Just making sure. ;)
Yep, but only if your first name is Martian. If that's the case, then you can just kiss all your things goodbye!

MovieMan8877445 01-09-09 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 491070)
Yep, but only if your first name is Martian. If that's the case, then you can just kiss all your things goodbye!
LOL

martian leader 01-09-09 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 491070)
You're joking right? :(:p

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 491072)
LOL
:D

Yoda 01-09-09 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by martian leader (Post 491055)
Pfft. Of course. ;) Unless something goes horribly wrong, yes, everything will be saved. We're not switching servers or anything -- just upgrading software.

r3port3r66 01-09-09 01:37 AM

goodbye old movie forums software. Hello vBulletin upgrade!

Look here: Movie Forums Circa 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/200112141...vieforums.net/

Most users ever was 17!!! :rotfl:

Swedish Chef 01-09-09 02:34 AM

Wow, I'm glad you swapped out Wild Wild West with Pluto Nash in that subtitle for the Box Office forum.

I kinda like Wild Wild West. Is there something wrong with me?

Yoda 01-09-09 02:46 AM

Oh, we've got older archived versions of the site than that...

But yeah, never ceases to freak me out. A lot's changed.

martian leader 01-09-09 09:52 AM

Remember the good ol days? LOL :rotfl::yup: