Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movie explanations,sybolism, deeper meanings (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=8037)

BrandnewCorporate 07-25-04 04:11 AM

Movie explanations,sybolism, deeper meanings

i couldn't find a thread on anything like this...movies that make you think..and your like 'hey what does that mean?'...i have a few random wondering from a few movies.
american beauty...what was with the red in the movie..i mean why was the door such vibrant red while the rest of the house was like blue and white?
..and the roses everywhere..i didn't get that much either.

this is also random..and maybe i just overlook into thing in movies. but in the Virgin suicides the numbers on their house is liek 2307 i think..the 7 is like halfway falling off..any significant meaning to that?
...ha probablynot.

ya these movies are pretty old..but just curious.
feel free to post your questions as well, about a movie you don't get or something.

Maniac 07-25-04 07:07 AM

I can most definately say that in my opinion Kubrick uses the most out of everything you've just mentioned.

(I have never seen american beauty so I can't say.)

Example:

Clockwork Orange there is a scene where alex enter's a lady's house and there is alot of sexual-toned art. And A white model penis. Now this whole situation is rather funny, until he kills the woman.

In my opinion Kubrick wanted the audience to be envolved with that scene in a way that the audience was taking part as a "sociopathic experience". For example make the audience laugh and have fun and make jokes, but end it with someone dead in the process.

Argue with me if you want but this is what i feel.

Great thread by the way, I was getting tired of these "who's your favorite" threads.

BrandnewCorporate 07-25-04 12:31 PM

haha thanks.
ya clockwork orange is another movie i need to see. and also reqiuem for a dream...i've heard lots about those movies.
i love movies where you have to look deeper into things, and everything like symbolizes something...i.e donnie darko.
i'll watch requiem for a dream today , i rented it last night.
American beauty i thought was a good movie..really random at times...although those parts proably symbolize stuff as well.

AboveTheClouds 07-25-04 12:55 PM

Clockwork I agree with. Even though the book is better then the film.And I agree with the fact that Kubrick uses symbolism alot.For instance in FMJ, we have private joker's helmet with the peace pin and "Born to Kill" in big black letters.This is suggesting the duality of man.

undercoverlover 07-25-04 03:11 PM

nice pick up on the full metal jacket point Animal Mother.

BrandnewCorporate, not quite clear on what you want explained, what the issue in this thread is. Do you mean things directors have put into movies to 'suggest' things about the characters or plot to us, like the duality in FMJ?

BrandnewCorporate 07-25-04 03:59 PM

^ ya basically.
like things that mean deeper things. that you have to look into more, not just on the surface.
movies that your kind of confused in because things don't make sense..but once you analyze it, it makes somuch sense. like what was the point of that character..? (i.e that 'asian' girl in donnie darko)..then when you find out your like oh.
movies like that are cool..

undercoverlover 07-25-04 04:08 PM

like the unicorn thing at the end of blade runner, i wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it by giving it away

no really deep meanings because i think they're pretty obvious but all the pointers in the first matrix film, like neo being an anagram for 'one' and all the biblical references

Koohoos 07-25-04 04:13 PM

Well what about U.S. Leland ? I think it was pretty odd.. Why he murdered that poor kid remained unclear to me and I can only make my own guesses.

jrs 07-25-04 04:51 PM

Ending of Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes

While the Planet of the Apes 2001 movie requires a certain science fiction like leap of faith throughout to swallow, the ending presents an even more peculiar situation to explain. Astronaut Leo crash lands on a planet other than Earth in which Apes dominate human kind due to the crashlanding of his spacestation and its crew of humans and primates. But at the movie's end Leo travels through an electromagnetic storm that leads him back in time to what appears to be his home planet of Earth in the past. While landing he is directed to land and crashes in what resembles Washington, DC the capital of the United States. He then looks up to see the Lincoln Monument is now a monument of a chimpanzee, General Thad whom the statue is dedicated to. If this planet is Earth that Leo landed on then just how did Apes become dominant and assume human culture, while humans appear to have been eradicated. There are a few possibilities, and lots of people are trying to make sense of this ending, which appears to be thrown in just to give a twist inspite of the lack of logic the ending has.
The possibilities for explaining the ending are numerous, but include:

1. Astronaut Leo does not land on Planet Earth even though he thinks he does. Instead he lands on the planet he just left from only arriving farther into its future.

This may seem unlikely, but if Astronaut Leo traversed the electromagnetic void and arrived back at his original Ape planet in the future it is possible that during that time Thade escaped and gained control of the Semos problem and galavanized his kind to destroy humanity. After humanity is wiped out Thade sets about to mimic the great civilization that he could have viewed via the computers of the Oberon that captured all of Earth's electromagnetic broadcasts according to its crew.

2. Astronaut Leo arrives on a Planet other than the Earth or the Ape world he left from.

If Astronaut Leo travels to the coordinates in his former chimps pod, then the coordinates would probably be stored onboard the crashed Oberon space station. Shortly after Leo leaves for what he thinks is the Earth, Thade travels to this location as well. Because of the way the film portrays time travel he arrives on the planet before Leo does and perhaps with a small group populates the planet or brings civilization to any native ape creatures on the planet. From that point Thade recreates the culture of man he could have viewed during his time trapped onboard the Oberon via the computer situated in the corner of his cell.

3. General Thad escapes his captivity and leads a group of Apes in a pursuit to conquer the Earth before humanity was strong via timetravel. Astronaut Leo then arrives on Earth to see the results of this conquest.

This is how many people believe the ending will be explained in a sequel. As the film ends, General Thad is trapped in a small room onboard the former space station Oberon he can not escape from with the gun he has. In the corner of the room one can see a computer. During the space station Oberon's travels near the electromagnetic disturbance in space all of the television broadcasts of the Earth were being intercepted according to its crew. If these incoming transmissions from Earth's past were strored onboard a computer network of the space station then in theory Thade could retrieve them and learn all about humanity's history from the computer in the corner of his cell. With this knowledge its only a small leap of faith to assume that Thade somehow escapes his cell with the coordinates to Earth. From there he could have either retrieved the crashed space veseel that Astronaut Leo used to reach the Ape world, or fly the entire crashed spash station via some unknown onboard power supply to Earth's past. Since on this planet the Lincoln Memorial is of Thade, one could presume that Thade traveled to some period of time during the US Civil War. With the knowledge of modern laser weapons and flying vehicles, Thade and a small force could in theory have overwhelmed human beings fighting with breech loading weapons and conquer the Earth with time. Thade could have also just traveled 10,000 years back or so and created his own civilization which would have vanquished the then slowly emerging human one. Then with the knowlege of human history Thade would recreate via mimicry what he saw via Earth's electromagnetic broadcasts.

4. The ending (or entire movie after Leo leaves the spacestation) is a dream, story, or some other contraption which will have no validity in future sequels.

It might seem silly to assume that ending or much of the film is in fact a dream or story. But if one looks at the original novel that the movie is based on then this is indeed possible. In the original Planet of the Apes novel by Pierre Boulle the entire tale is about a bottle found with a story inside which is discovered by a couple who are enjoying time in space. The story tells them of a group of space explorers who land on an alien world to explore it with a smaller craft. They left their giant home space vessel orbiting the planet they explored (much as Astronaut Leo thought his space station was orbiting the planet he landed on at one point.) By the end of the story only one man survives who travels to Earth which should be several hundred years into the future because of the science of spacetravel. Upon arriving on Earth, Apes rule it. The couple who discovered the story in a bottle conclude "A likely story. It just shows there are poets everywhere in every corner of the cosmos, and practical jokers too." Of course it is doubtful this will be used as an explanation for the bizarre ending of the movie, but its possible if one looks at the novel the original Apes saga sprung forth from.

All that has to be true in regards to the movie for this scenario to come into play is for Leo to have become unconcious during his time in the electromagnetic storm. He could have dreamed arriving on the Ape world, and dreamed his crash landing. Then for a new movie he would awake in space and the story could continue anyway desired.

Taken from www.movieprop.com

LordSlaytan 07-25-04 05:20 PM

Natural Born Killers shows that killing people is a hoot.

AboveTheClouds 07-25-04 07:49 PM

In Fight Club. Where he meets his alter ego on the plane.. And they both have the same briefcase...You have to watch the WHOLE movie to pick this up(if it's your first time)This suggests that whatshisface(name escapes me) and Tyler are the same person.....

BrandnewCorporate 07-26-04 12:48 AM

just finished watching requiem for a dream...a bit confused.
what does everyone think of that movie...thought it was good..kinda messed up though

Tazz 07-26-04 12:49 AM

i gotta rent that movie

undercoverlover 07-26-04 10:40 AM

whoah jrs you musta really given it some thought!

Its just an idea but i think in American Beauty, the roses thing comes from Annette Benning's character clipping roses at the beginning. Then as Kevin Spacey slips further into his 'midlife crisis' he brings something from reality into his fantasies. And the fact that Mena Suarvi's character is young and fresh to him perhaps she represented a rose to him.

Sedai 07-26-04 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by BrandnewCorporate
just finished watching requiem for a dream...a bit confused.
what does everyone think of that movie...thought it was good..kinda messed up though
Technically brilliant, and emotionally visceral film. I think it is a masterpiece. That said, it is quite difficult to watch at times. The complate degredation of hope seen through the eyes of these characters is so poignant and the cinematography and editing are so engrossing, that one can't help but be affected by the film for hours, days, or weeks after viewing....

Sedai 07-26-04 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
whoah jrs you musta really given it some thought!

I think he pasted those explainations from the site he credited in at the bottom of his post.....

undercoverlover 07-26-04 11:38 AM

ah thanx, i didnt see that bit

KenkamaniaV1 07-26-04 04:03 PM

I love all of the little things like these in "Fight Club" i.e. Subliminaly introducing Tyler, hinting on the movies final twist especialy with the things that marla does and how Tyler makes Jack promise him that he will not talk about him to Marla (Because this would give him away to her), The list goes on.

BEST MOVIE EVER WITHOUT A DOUBT!

SamsoniteDelilah 07-26-04 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BrandnewCorporate
...american beauty...what was with the red in the movie..i mean why was the door such vibrant red while the rest of the house was like blue and white?
The house in american beauty was red, white and blue...

..and the roses everywhere..i didn't get that much either.
American Beauty is a kind of rose, and roses symbolize beauty.

I dunno about the Virgin Suicides house number...

Good thread idea, I love figuring out the deeper meanings in things. Have you ever looked into the symbolism in Magnolia? There's a truckload.

Another with a lot of good symbolism is The Ring. I think that's why that movie got to me the way it did, was the connections of the symbols.

BrandnewCorporate 07-27-04 12:15 AM

one of the next movies on my list is magnolia...and definetly fight club.
what's dogma about..i've heard good stuff about it..