Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Columbia to remake 'Total Recall' (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18798)

n3wt 02-26-09 01:51 PM

Columbia to remake 'Total Recall'

http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/09/04...arzenegger.jpg

Columbia Pictures is in final negotiations to remake 1990 action movie Total Recall, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Neal H. Moritz and Original Films are developing the project, which would reprise the Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi hit.
The original Paul Verhoeven-directed film was based on Philip K. Dick's short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Schwarzenegger played Doug Quaid, an average Joe who suffered from recurring dreams about Mars. After having memories implanted by a company called Rekall Inc., Quaid believes he is a secret agent and ends up fighting a Martian colony lead by a tyrannical leader.
It grossed $261 million at the box office.

Yoda 02-26-09 01:56 PM

Re: Columbia to remake 'Total Recall'

Torn on this one. On one hand, I love Total Recall. I think its a fun, interesting, creative sci-fi film, and I think Ah-nuld was perfect for it. On the other hand, it still holds up reasonably well, so I don't know if a remake is entirely necessary. some of the special effects are a little dated, but not so much that they take away from the enjoyment of the film.

Either way, I'm sure I'd see it, if only to see if they kick things up a notch and go with four breasts instead of three for the Martian prostitute.

Sir Toose 02-26-09 01:58 PM

Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars...

Sedai 02-26-09 02:01 PM

Ah, another MoFo applying the breast-o-meter to remakes. This is the only reason I would even consider seeing the Friday the 13th remake. I hear they reach critical mass on the breast count.

mark f 02-26-09 02:01 PM

I'd just watch the original. I don't get the point at all of "remaking" it. Oh yeah... money.

Used Future 02-26-09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 504625)
I'd just watch the original. I don't get the point at all of "remaking" it. Oh yeah... money.
Hey give those guys at Columbia a break, they've all...got five kids to feed!

nebbit 02-26-09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 504625)
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif

spudracer 02-26-09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 504621)
Either way, I'm sure I'd see it, if only to see if they kick things up a notch and go with four breasts instead of three for the Martian prostitute.
Heck, I was getting ready to pose the question, "How many of you, when you saw the title of the thread, immediately thought of the 3-breasted prostitute?"

Don't really see a need for a remake, but ok.

mikeython1 02-26-09 06:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY

You cant beat this! Honestly! :cool:

n3wt 02-26-09 07:04 PM

I absoulutly love Total Recall its one of the films you grow up watching and you can watch it over and over again. I would like to see what they can pull out for the remake, hopefully it will wont ruin the original but it has happened before so many times.

Harry Lime 02-27-09 04:49 PM

Hollywood can really suck sometimes.

honeykid 01-12-11 12:41 AM

Colin Farrell has been confirmed for the role of Doug Quaid (the Arnie role) in the Total Recall remake. Neal Moritz is producing and has said that Colin will play the lead, with Len Wiseman directing. Shooting is set to begin on May 15th in Toronto for a 2012 release.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-2182328.html

genesis_pig 01-12-11 01:31 AM

Atleast I am glad it's not Will Smith or Dwayne Johnson.

Maybe this is more faithful to the original material.

Gunny 01-12-11 03:57 AM

I don't understand why you would want to remake Total Recall. The original was excellent and not outdated at all.

And I'm not a Collin Farrel fan.

Yoda 01-12-11 10:08 AM

I love the original, but it's definitely a little outdated. Anyway, I still think a remake would be unnecessary, unless it's more of a "reimagining." That, actually, could work very well. The world in Total Recall is/was rich enough to support other, similarly-themed stories. A shot-for-shot remake wouldn't be worthwhile given the progress of special effects alone, but an altered story? That's more promising.

Anyway, odds are I'm seeing this, whatever its merits.

spudracer 01-12-11 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 504621)
On the other hand, it still holds up reasonably well, so I don't know if a remake is entirely necessary. some of the special effects are a little dated, but not so much that they take away from the enjoyment of the film.
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 707689)
I love the original, but it's definitely a little outdated.
I sense some conflictions in your mind, yes. :)

I love the original, and don't see a need for a remake. However, this IS Sony we're talking about. They optioned for a reboot of Spider-Man just 3 years after the last film hit the screen. Clearly, they have no originality left in that studio.

Yoda 01-12-11 10:41 AM

Just a bit. In both I think the effects are outdated, I just don't think that hurts the film much at this point, which is why I still don't think prettying it up would be reason enough to remake it. The only worthwhile remake wouldn't, very strictly speaking, be a remake.

Not that I wouldn't be curious either way. I imagine a new version would/could be a sight to behold, if nothing else.

spudracer 01-12-11 11:57 AM

Well, obviously the reason to remake it, would be to make it flashy and IN 3-D. Because who wouldn't want to see eyes popping out of someone's head or a three-breasted prostitute in three dimensions?

This new notion to remake or reboot franchises was somewhat acceptable for films from, say 50 years ago, but there seems to be no end to movies being remade. It's getting out of hand.

chet seven 01-17-11 01:39 AM

is nothing sacred?

what next!? robocop remake?!...checks imdb :facepalm:

Plainview 01-17-11 01:43 AM

Give those people some air.