Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Forums Site Stuff (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The MoFo Glossary (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=6078)

Yoda 12-10-03 02:16 PM

The MoFo Glossary

It's baaaaaack.

Sir Toose 12-10-03 02:21 PM

I forgot about T2.

I'll have to poke around on that thing... I bet we have some terms to add.

Caitlyn 12-10-03 02:44 PM

Thanks Yoda... :D

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
I bet we have some terms to add.

Especially under D ... ;)

Golgot 12-10-03 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Thanks Yoda... :D

Especially under D ... ;)
I was amazed there was nothing there :)

Sexy Celebrity 12-10-03 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
I'll have to poke around on that thing...
Oh my, I hope the MoFo Glossary gave you consent. :eek:

Sedai 12-10-03 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
Oh my, I hope the MoFo Glossary gave you consent. :eek:
How about for A:

AFK - away from keyboard

ciao

Yoda 12-10-03 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai
How about for A:

AFK - away from keyboard
Generally, I would agree with you, but "AFK" isn't very applicable for a forum. Nobody posts just to let others know that they're stepping away for a moment. It'd make more sense in the context of a chat room or an IM, in my opinion.

Keep the suggestions coming, though. The more esoteric and MoFo-specific, the better.

Caitlyn 01-09-05 11:47 AM

I love the 'Random Glossary Term' feature... but would love to see some new ones…

Any ideas?

I still think we need a new one in the D's… ;)

r3port3r66 01-09-05 12:33 PM

How about (no indication to you Cait'--just a suggestion;)):

DOTM = Diarreah Of The Mouth. Yes I know the "O" & "T" shouldn't be included, but it looks better than just DM...

blibblobblib 01-09-05 05:12 PM

How about "Holy Helmet" Its an exclamation of suprise or bewilderment i use on a daily basis, and i think more people shoulduse, it rolls off the tongue nicely i feel. My nan is very fond of it indeed.

EXAMPLES:

"What in the Holy Helmet are you doing in that cucumber field Sister Mary Joseph?"

or

"Holy Helmet i think i'm touching cloth."

MovieMaker5087 01-09-05 06:17 PM

What about anywho, Chris? It has the same meaning as anyways, only a different prononciation and I often use it.

Just a suggestion.

Yoda 01-09-05 07:20 PM

The glossary is more for listing inside jokes and phrases used often on MoFo; kind of a way to document the various gags and fads that have come and gone, as well as get newbies up to speed on just what the heck we're talking about. ;) Most of the entries, you'll notice, wouldn't work offline, or even on another site. That is -- albeit loosely -- the criteria that I try to use.

MovieMaker5087 01-09-05 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
The glossary is more for listing inside jokes and phrases used often on MoFo
I do use anywho often on MoFo.

OG- 01-09-05 10:06 PM

I'm pretty sure anywho isn't some word incapable of being decyphered by your average MoFo reader, but that's just me....

I require a section dedicated to me...

blibblobblib 01-09-05 10:13 PM

I often use the word 'flagellum' and 'the'. If 'anywho' is going in they sure are.

Nitzer 01-09-05 11:58 PM

"Nitzer, The" - Someone everyone should love, respect, and hail, for the world would be a dull place without him.

MovieMaker5087 01-11-05 08:03 PM

How about:

TPM- An acronym for The Phantom Menace
ROTS- An acronym for Revenge of the Sith
SW- An acronym for Star Wars
OR
ANH- An acronym for A New Hope
ESB- An acronym for The Empire Strikes Back
ROTJ- An acronym for Return of the Jedi

Just a couple of suggestions.

SamsoniteDelilah 01-11-05 09:11 PM

frogging - gerund form of "to frog" a form of free-associative posting which tends to leave people scratching their heads, but smiling. See also: A_L-ing, Gustavoing.

peppering the newbs - a form of warm welcome which doubles as prep for a Barbara Walters interview. Reigning Grand Champion of Newb Peppering: Aniko

blib - v. blibbed, blibbing; to laugh to the point of mild incontinence. Poor Caitlyn blibbed so hard at Sedai's joke, she had to go change her socks.

shizzification - n. the act of modifying one's speech in a ghetto-tastic manner.

nebbitize - v. a thread has been nebbitized when at least 5% of the posts are happy little pictures.

more as they occur...

SamsoniteDelilah 01-11-05 09:14 PM

pike - v. piked, piking To post in a movie game in such a way that even Roger Ebert would be stumped for an answer. Ironically, the one person who is never piked: Holden Pike.

Mose 01-12-05 09:40 AM

Not sure if anyone else uses it, but it seems to be needed as of late...

Reputation Whore - Members who beg for positive reputation points... See Uncle Rico :)