Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Kevin Costner movies (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=306)

Zephyrus 01-04-01 09:42 AM

I was writing a post and happened to think of Kevin Costner, which of course gave me the idea for this thread :) Well, everyone says that every single Costner movie since Dances With Wolves has failed at the box office, that the general public hates them and that they keep on paying him big money to star in new movies in hope that it will be the one in which he will make his big come back like John Travolta...

I mean seriously, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with movies like Water World, The Post Man, The Body Guard, Tin Cup etc. They were all very enjoyable for me, even moreso than some of the movies which DID make it big time in the box office (like MI-2 for example).

Anyone know what's going on??

Yoda 01-04-01 10:45 AM

I'm sorry, but my hatred for Kevin Costner knows no bounds. The man cannot act. Plain and simple! He doesn't look terribly intelligent (I don't care much either way though), and he doesn't choose his movies wisely.

I cannot honestly remember a movie in which he did a good job as an actor - Field of Dreams was the only one where he didn't totally stink up the place.

OllieO 01-04-01 12:09 PM

I agree with Chris there Zeph. He's done nothing really of merit - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was almost adequate, apart from (Pro-Briton rant coming) his American accent being used for a British person... :furious:

ryanpaige 01-04-01 12:46 PM

I like Costner in the sports movies (Bull Durham, Tin Cup, FIeld of Dreams, even For Love of the Game) and thought he did a good job in JFK (even though the story was ridiculous) and other movies like No Way Out.

I haven't seen Dances With Wolves or The Bodyguard or Waterworld, so I can't comment on those.

crash 01-04-01 04:00 PM

I, too, hate Kevin Costner with a fiery rage. He's a terrible, terrible actor with no sense of scene or dialogue. He just can't act.

OG- 01-04-01 04:12 PM

Waterworld was an entertaining movie. And Field of Dreams was a good movie. And I loved Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. But Costner is only ok in my book.

OllieO 01-04-01 05:03 PM

It's not just that he's a terrible actor - he genuinely thinks that he's a god! His stuff his pretentious arrogant trite. :furious:

Rodney 01-04-01 06:34 PM

I don't like Kevin Cosner much either. I think that he is a bad actor for the most part. The only movie that I liked him in was Field of Dreams and even then he didn't do that good of a job.

jamesglewisf 01-05-01 12:46 AM

I thought he was really good in The Big Chill.

PooPooMaster 01-05-01 01:14 AM

There are plenty worse actors/actresses out there...and plenty worse movies then his.

Dances With Wolves was a MASTERPIECE. Anyone who says it sucks has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Zephyrus 01-05-01 04:33 AM

I can't believe I'm reading this, it just has to be a forum-wide conspiracy against me and Kevin Costner! The cruelty, the horror! ;D

I think he's a great actor, I think all those descriptions you guys (and gals) wrote would fit someone like Leonardo DiCaprio, especially what crash wrote! :)

Oh well, I think it's all just a matter of taste...

OllieO 01-05-01 07:05 AM

Don't even get me started on Leonardo DeCappuccino! :furious: That little maggot!

Zephyrus 01-05-01 07:44 AM

At least we agree on Leonardo DiCappucino, who's got about as much acting talent as a fly on drugs (mind you, a fly ondrugs would be an interesting thing to see :D )!!

crash 01-05-01 08:17 AM

DiCaprio was good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape -- I haven't seen a good performance since.

Zephyrus 01-05-01 08:22 AM

I haven't seen that one, is it the movie about some mentally retarded patient or someting like that?? I think I heard that it was a good movie, but I probably won't watch it because of my prejudices against him ;)

jamesglewisf 01-05-01 11:30 PM

C'mon. I throw a great post out there about The Big Chill, and nobody get's it?

I'm watching Silverado right now. Costner is good in that one.

thmilin 01-05-01 11:48 PM

never saw the Big Chill, though i've heard about it, sorry ...

crash, you're right, Leo DiCappuccino was good in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and otherwise he pretty much seems to be himself in every movie ...

as for Mr. Costner, damn, y'all are cold! He's not the greatest actor ever and has definitely made serious mistakes. But, the one film i have to say was GREAT (not necessarily because of HIM but ... as an amalgam of the parts that make a great film, which included him among its cast) was Dances with Wolves.

I've never seen Bull Durham but I've heard a lot about how that sparked his career in comedy, along with No Way Out (not for comedy, just for conspiracy dramas with a touch of romance). And Field of Dreams was kind of a first, of the decade and stuff. Touched something in America's heart. There's practically no one who hasn't seen it or heard of it now. You know, baseball, a good old American family past-time, and James Earl Jones ... it just covered all the bases (pun intended ;).

For the fluff it was and that America occasionally likes, Robin Hood was alright and did its job. But the man was just a fool to make Waterworld ... and The Postman ...

he's about to make another JFK type movie ... he looks like a badass in it (inasmuch as he can be one). heheh, are y'all gonna wipe your feet on that one, too? ;)

Zephyrus 01-06-01 02:02 AM

That's what I mean, I especially liked Waterworld and The Postman, allegedly his worst movies ever!

You people are all just cranky critics! :D

Laurie L 01-06-01 02:08 AM

That was pretty good about The Big Chill, James...since Costner's scenes were cut from the film...lol. I loved everything Costner did until Waterworld came out. It's still the worst film I've ever seen. Then he cheated on his wife of 13 years, left his 3 kids, and made another crap-fest with The Postman. Then came Tin Cup which was decent, but he didn't win me back. I'm still waiting for a redemption film and I think 13 Days may be it, but I'm not holding my breath.

jamesglewisf 01-06-01 07:12 PM

Costner was in the Big Chill. He was the dead guy they were dressing for the funeral in the opening credits. The rest of his scenes were cut though.