Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Alfred Hitchcock'S favorite to least Favorite (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=1513)

L .B . Jeffries 12-28-01 03:22 AM

Alfred Hitchcock'S favorite to least Favorite

It scares me sometimes that people won't give the guy a chance or would rather watch the newest blockbuster. The best book on the man is "ALFRED HITCHCOCK by FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT A must have I've read it 4 times you guys should definitely pick it up it's just one big interview, reviewing everything he's done.

Here's my list and a little bit about why I love them. It's all the Hitchcock's I've watched.

Rear Window (1954)
-The editing is so awesome it goes unnoticed. It feels like your in his apartment and how can you go wrong with Jimmy Stewart in the main lead and Grace Kelly as his love interest.

Rebecca(1940)
-Classic at it's best with the usual Hitchcock character's the only Hitchcock film to win an Oscar for best picture.

Psycho (1960)
-His best shot B&W Hitchcock film and the pinnacle horror movie for horror movies

Vertigo (1958)
-beautifully shot,beautifully edited,beautifully acted,beautifully directed, just a beautifully film IMO

Notorious (1946)
-One of the more lesser known Hitchcock's before his color stuff that's just fantastic from Cary Grant's hilarious performance to the back projection car scenes to the magical "KEY" right down to the MACGUFFIN wine bottle.

North by Northwest (1959)
-I think this one has the most Hitchcock camera tricks out of all of his films.Often copied never duplicated.

To Catch a Thief (1955)
-lots of memorable moment, A light comedy of sorts.
with some nice friction between the two main leads

Wrong Man, The (1956)
-The best acting performance of all Hitchcock films.
Henry Fonda's the man in my book

39 Steps, The (1935)
-My favorite Hitchcock before he went to Hollywood

Stage Fright (1950)
A fun movie that cheats a bit here and there with Marlene Dietrich looking great.The best bit is Hitchcock's Daughter shes really good she should have done more stuff.

Trouble with Harry, The (1955)
-His Darkest comedy also the first collaboration with Bernard Herrmann.

Suspicion (1941)
-It's got everything you want in a film - love,suspense,comedy and a touch of spookiness

Lady Vanishes, The (1938)
-You got to love the stuff he did in this movie the beginning miniature shot was very creative. it's probably the best train movie ever made.

Saboteur (1942)
-I don't know about you guys but the last scene on the statue of liberty had me on the edge of my seat.

Dial M for Murder (1954)
-The whole movie practically takes place in one room and Ray Milland is incridable his only movie to venture into 3-D. Why they ever tried to remake this(A Perfect Murder) I'll never know.

Strangers on a Train (1951)
-The films editing it so clean, almost unnoticeable.
I should just say flawless well at least in my book

Marnie (1964)
-It's so un-appreciated.

Under Capricorn (1949)
-Great costume Drama with some good suspense.Color cinematography by Jack Cardiff is so Thick & Rich just like so many other's of his i.e. (The Red Shoes, Black Narcissus,The African Queen)

Rope (1948)
Technical brilliance his first color film and his first as a producer.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
He's stated that it's his favorite out of all of his films so that in it's self is enough said about how good it is.

Foreign Correspondent (1940)
-There's no problem with the directing and style of the film but the acting is not the best compared to some of his others

Birds, The (1963)
-Not my fav but beats most thrillers hands down I would recommend this after watch some of his others.

Lifeboat (1944)
-Another film of his which only has one set. All the characters are so well develop in such a little time I have no idea how he did it.

Man Who Knew Too Much, The (1956)
-The remaking of his own film which I think is better than the first one. But a lot don't think so.

I Confess (1953)
-The only movie to be made in Canada of his. Where the acting is so good it overtakes the story

Frenzy (1972)
-I think this is Hitch's most disturbing film of all the stuff when the killer's choking the lady with his tie in the office and he keeps on saying lovely,lovely,lovely that was creepy and the shot were he takes the lady up to his room and the camera goes backwards down the steps and across the street and you know the whole time what's happening up in that room.

(also if you get the chance to watch the trailer it my favorite trailer of all time, very funny stuff)

Family Plot (1976)
-It made me laugh (I think it was meant to be a light comedy) Plus the last scene was very very suspenseful also great to see that Hitchcock still had it in him.

Spellbound (1945)
-It fell flat in some scens and drag a bit but the dream sequences are well worth it. He work with the famous surreal painter SALVADOR DALI interesting for many reasons.

Man Who Knew Too Much, The (1934)
-The story is what's most interesting. The film all in all has some good moments and PETER LORRE has always been able to make me laugh even under the harshest condition I.E. the serial killer in "M"

Torn Curtain (1966)
-It's famous for having one of the best death scenes ever filmed but personally I think it got much more. Great matte paintings, nice editing,top quality acting and some black comedy

Topaz (1969)
-Okay, Not the greatest but still has more than most.

Young and Innocent (1937)
-what had me wanting to watch this one was one single shot. that takes place at the very end. Hitch said it took two day to set-up and when you see it you'll know why.

Number Seventeen (1932)
-His most outragous movie. comes with a very good pace which wasn't seen to often in those days.

Sabotage (1936)
-It's pretty slow,the story wasn't outstanding the acting is ok. Mostly good for Hitchcock's visual imprint and editing of scenes.not great but good.

Murder! (1930)
-One of the first movies to ever deal with Transvestite & Homosexuality plus not that bad of a murder mystery.

Holden Pike 12-28-01 03:51 AM

I'd rank 'em...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CAXRcebhcY...25_640x352.jpg
1. North by Northwest
"That wasn't very sporting, using real bullets." Ernie Lehman set out to write 'the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcock pictures', and I think he succeeded. For me this is Hitch's magnum opus, the work that encompasses the best of what he had done in film to that point (same reason King Lear is my favorite Shakespeare), all wrapped up into one glorious, perfect movie. Suspenseful, funny, self-conscious, unpretentious, witty, exciting, beautiful, intelligent and always a heaping load o' fun, all at the same time.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...rious_ver3.jpg http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...97%2fMPW-48693 http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn..._doubt_xlg.jpg http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...-b-rebecca.jpg http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...indow_ver2.jpg

2. Notorious
3. Psycho
4. Shadow of a Doubt
5. Rebecca
6. Rear Window
7. Strangers on a Train
8. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
9. Saboteur
10. The 39 Steps

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...n_ver3_xlg.jpg http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...-much-1934.jpg http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...2fsaboteur.jpg http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...epsposter1.jpg http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...itchcock-2.jpg

I think Vertigo and the re-make of The Man Who Knew Too Much are his most overrated films and do nothing for me, The Wrong Man, Family Plot and Frenzy are terribly underrated, and Suspicion COULD have been a great movie if the Studio hadn't forced Hitch to change the ending - which just about completely spoils the flick for me as is.

And my favorite trailer is the long one for The Birds, where Hitchcock discusses the wonderful relationship man has had with his fine feathered friends over the years - great Hitch, like the very best of his intros and commercial lead outs for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjaVdJt59U

L .B . Jeffries 12-28-01 04:04 AM

The Wrong Man is like you said terribly underrated to the point were it makes me feel sick.

People don't give it it's due credit and that's a shame because Fonda is so powerful and it's based on a True Story.

I might be wrong but I read some where that Scorsese used it as a template or to help him out with one of his movies. but I can't remember have you heard that before Holden if so could you refresh my memory thanks.

Holden Pike 12-28-01 04:15 AM

Scorsese said, among many other inspirations, he looked at The Wrong Man for Taxi Driver, specifically the scene the first time Fonda's character goes to the insurance office that fateful day, the shifting points of view and camera moves to create a sense of paranoia.

I think The Wrong Man is underrated and often even plain forgotten in Hitch's filmography because it is just about completely humorless. It works absolutely brilliantly for that film, but it makes it unlike any of his other films of that period - or any he ever made, really. The darkness of it, without being undercut by humor or a wink to the audience in some way, just turns so many people off. I think you'd have a much easier time selling the movie to people if you took Hitchcock's name off the opening credits completely. It's a very effective and efficient movie, but decidely lacking many of Hitch's trademarks.

Knowing his obsessive fear of the police, it's no wonder Hitchcock was drawn to this story and truned it into a movie. In many regards, at least thematically, it's probably his most personal picture.

L .B . Jeffries 12-28-01 04:24 AM

Yeah I thought I was right but I didn't want ot say a certain movie a be wrong also I think Scorsese says something about when he first gets pick-up and the point of view shots he used there as well.

In Hitchcock's interviews with TRUFFAUT he wasn't really happy with the movie as a whole. Only a few things really appealed to him which I thought was amazing cause I enjoyed it so much.

spudracer 12-28-01 10:21 AM

Haven't seen all of Hitchcock's movies, but have seen Rear Window and Pshyco. I like both of them.

Yoda 12-28-01 10:36 AM

You all know how I feel about "Dial 'M' For Murder;" I'm still trying to figure out how Holden could completely his little Hitchcock list without including it, and by choosing "North by Northwest" as his first choice. Call me crazy, but I found that movie to be less than great. I got a little tired of some of the plot twists...saw some of them coming. To be honest, the first third of the movie or so, I loved it...I was getting very curious about what it was all leading to, but the payoff couldn't live up to that, so I ended up filing it away under "quite good and worth watching" rather than "great."

spudracer 12-28-01 12:54 PM

Some people like different movies. I thought by now you would realize that one TWT. I mean I like some movies that others consider crap. So everyone has their own favorites. I realize that this is more a list of Hitchcock's best to worst, but still.

Ok, I'm done.

Holden Pike 12-28-01 01:00 PM

Hmmmm, and I feel similarly about Dial 'M' for Murder, which I find a pretty average thriller, especially from Hitch (finally saw it on the big screen last year in 3-D...still didn't do much for me, though it is far and away better than the re-make with Michael Douglas). I like looking at Grace of course, but of the three flicks she did with Sir Alfred, for me only Rear Window is superior. Both Dial 'M' and To Catch a Thief are middle-of-the-road Hitches in my book: not horrible, just nothing all that special.

And Hitchcock's suspense was very rarely predicated on "twists" anyway. It was generally generated by letting the audience in on exactly what was happening, then the wonderful torture of watching the unaware characters on-screen go through it.

You can keep Dial 'M' for Murder, I'll keep North by Northwest, thanks, and we'll both be happy.
:yup:

Yoda 12-28-01 02:45 PM

Originally posted by spudracer
Some people like different movies. I thought by now you would realize that one TWT. I mean I like some movies that others consider crap. So everyone has their own favorites. I realize that this is more a list of Hitchcock's best to worst, but still.
I'm not shocked or anything. Of course I realize that we have our own tastes. Just expressing disagreement, and mild disbelief. After all, it IS an amazing movie...I think so; so why don't you? :D Some movies, for me, are at the point where, while I realize not everyone likes them, it's hard for me to understand why. I think it's that way for a lot of us. We can hear why, and respect it and all, but in the end, it's very hard to relate to.

WARNING: "Dial M For Murder" spoilers below
It's so very difficult to imagine someone NOT enjoying Tony Wendice as he walks around the room, being perfectly polite, yet all the time explaining to Swann how he's blackmailing him, and why.

I can live with it, naturally. We're all in agreement, I'm sure, that these are all very good movies...I'm thankful that our only disagreement here lies in what is great, and what is merely good.

L .B . Jeffries 12-28-01 10:36 PM

I thought "Dial M for Murder" was great but after watching it from repeated viewings I think it lost a bit of it's umff or jolt that I love when it was fresh for the first time. This one of the few Hitchcock's were I have to be in a certain mood to watch it or it doesn't click for me or in other words I don't enjoy it as much.

patti 01-11-02 10:20 PM

Somehow i missed this thread until tonight. There isn't a Hitchcock movie i don't like- i adore so many of them, but there are a couple i don't crave watching over and over like North By Northwest, and Spellbound. i think they are superb movies, but the tension gets to me.

i never tire of Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, Rebecca, Vertigo, Rope, Dial M For Murder, Suspicion, Strangers on a Train, and Shadow of a Doubt.

henry hill 01-14-02 07:36 AM

when I saw vertigo, I didn't even know it was meant to be good, never knew it was overrated, it was something on one of the channels as I was flicking through and it grabbed me from the start so I watched it and I was genuinely surprised :) It was only later on that I found it was loved by so many people, so for me I wouldn't say it was overrated...

Notorious was also good, especially as I had gotten used to seeing cary grant in slapstick comedies.

The Silver Bullet 07-07-02 09:23 AM

When it comes to Hitchcock, of the two I've seen, North by Northwest is the better [and I actually can't see myself enjoying any of them much more than I enjoyed this] and Vertigo which I liked-ish, but sure as Hell didn't love, to be the runner-up.

Of course, I should see more, but of the two I have...
While I could appreciate what was good about Vertigo [the first half of the film, the look of the film and Jimmy Stewart], the film just didn't do it for me as a whole, whereas I don't recall a moment of North by Northwest that I wasn't really enjoying myself.

I haven't seen Dial 'M' for Murder -- or Psycho for that matter, films I know I should see [they're just not that high on my list when I've got films like The Treasure of Sierra Madre and Brazil in my ear, 'Watch me! Watch me!'] but films I don't think will do what North by Northwest did and does for me each time I see it.

By the way, I specifically hunted for this thread.
I knew it was here. Knew it!

Herod 07-08-02 01:25 AM

I'm way too lazy, and it is far too late at night for me to post my top ten favorite hitchcocks, so I'm just going with my number 1. Rope. Jimmy Stewart was great in it, and it was the first concept film I had ever seen. I think it was Rope that first inspired me to try my hand at making films, and every time I watch it, I mist up a little.
O.K. maybe I dont cry, but it's still a great movie.

sisboombah 07-08-02 12:26 PM

ok i dont realy see the point in me even posting in here but i like north by northwest, physco and vetigo....tehy are the only ones ive seen but i love them all. im renting out a few of his films each month so i should have seen them all before too long.

rauldc14 11-29-10 11:25 PM

Re: Alfred Hitchcock'S favorite to least Favorite

Just because I love this thread.....
1. Rear Window- a movie that truly keeps you connected to the characters and the story throughout the movie. James Stewart and Grace Kelly are a great 1-2 punch.
2. North by Northwest- There is just some sort of charm with this film. The dialogue throughout it is a big reason why it is a great movie.
3. Dial M for Murder- one of those movies that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout it.
4. Psycho- just a simple classic. A black and white movie that made me realize black and white isn't always that bad after all.
5. Vertigo- not my favorite, but still a great film. The plot of the movie was very well done in my opinion.

6. To Catch a Thief
7. Notorious
8. Strangers on a Train
9. Rebecca
10. Rope

Classicqueen13 11-30-10 05:55 PM

Re: Alfred Hitchcock'S favorite to least Favorite

Notorious
So romantic and the suspense seemed to grow and grow

North by Northwest
Best overall, exciting and excellently written

To Catch a Thief
Intriguing and has such a dazzling script to match the leads. ;)

Dial M for Murder
Best directing, impressive performances, and fascinating.

Psycho (most of it)
Simply scary.

Spellbound
Intriguing story and enjoyable romance

Foreign Correspondent
Lighter piece with a lot to offer

Vertigo
Fascinating direction and acting but a story that seemed to escape me

Torn Curtain
Sketchy feel but good performances

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
Felt overlonged but still interesting

Suspicion
Don't like Joan Fontaine, but interesting and has Cary of course

Strangers on a Train
Flat out bored me in all honesty. Couldn't hold my attention.

will.15 11-30-10 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 29237)
I'd rank 'em...

1. North by Northwest
"That wasn't very sporting, using real bullets." Ernie Lehman set out to write 'the Hitchcock picture to end all Hitchcok pictures', and I think he succeeded. For me this is Hitch's magnum opus, the work that encompasses the best of what he had done in film to that point (same reason King Lear is my favorite Shakespeare), all wrapped up into one glorious, perfect movie. Suspenseful, funny, self-conscious, unpretentious, witty, exciting, beautiful, intelligent and always a heaping load o' fun, all at the same time.
2. Notorious
3. Psycho
4. Shadow of a Doubt
5. Rebecca
6. Rear Window
7. Strangers on a Train
8. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
9. Saboteur
10. The 39 Steps

I think Vertigo and the re-make of The Man Who Knew Too Much are his most overrated films and do nothing for me, The Wrong Man, Family Plot and Frenzy are terribly underrated, and Suspicion COULD have been a great movie if the Studio hadn't forced Hitch to change the ending - which completely spoils the flick for me as is.

And my favorite trailer is the long one for The Birds, where Hitchcock discusses the wonderful relationship man has had with his fine feathered friends over the years - great Hitch, like the very best of his intros and commercial lead outs for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".
Vertigo is one of his very best. Man Who Knew Too Much remake, can't say it is overrated because many say it is inferior to first film. Both versions have different flaws. Family Plot is okay, but somewhat lazy. And Frenzy if anything overrated.

His weakest is his non genre films, which there are not many of, some in the early thirties, and the painfully unfunny Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

mark f 11-30-10 09:49 PM

No big deal, but I like Hitch's Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941) well enough, maybe because I love Carole Lombard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0oJNP1d680&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzOa7hW4Wy0&NR=1

Maybe I'll come back later and make a list.