Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Saddest movie you have seen (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=10360)

Equilibrium 05-30-05 05:30 AM

Saddest movie you have seen

What is the saddest movie you have seen ever in your life?

At first I thought it was Requim for a Dream, but recently I have realized the saddest movie ever is the one which completes a story started in 1977.

Yes, thats right the saddest movie I think I have ever seen is Revenge of the Sith.

Equilibrium 05-30-05 09:29 AM

Oops I forgot to also mention that Braveheart comes at a very close second place.

Equilibrium 05-31-05 08:56 AM

wtf people, bump.

chicagofrog 05-31-05 10:05 AM

i dunno wtf, Equi.

i'd say Birth recently brought me to tears, or would have if i'd been alone at home and not with some friend who doesn't appreciate emotional effusions..., Nicole wow, the end is...
Donnie Darko did, three time at least, of 6 times seeing it, same thing, depending if i had company or not... that song makes me wanna die.
The Myth of Fingerprints didn't, but leaves an aftertaste of void, and why the ****** life has to be like that?
The Last Picture Show, and death IS a sad thing, and so is the memory of this particular movie with the woman of my life, lost in between somewhere, "a shame cuz i did like that dress", says Tori Amos... don't ask me.

all of them in my fave list (that must contain some 12 movies or so??), and probably because they're sad, so it's important for me a movie is.
The Man Who Wasn't There comes close
and so does Levity,
(both with Billy Bob Thornton)
and Ghost World is, at the same time is not, sad, it's just, life. but well, life is, so...

this last is among my faves, so i've been thinking of rewatching the two other ones, and may add them to my fave list then. (especially the first one mentioned)

United States of Leland is no fun party either. highly recommended.

undercoverlover 05-31-05 12:53 PM

Elephant man people, come on

chicagofrog 05-31-05 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
Elephant man people, come on
depends what and how deeply one identifies oneself with... :rolleyes:
me, it's the above mentioned movies more than that one...

Tacitus 05-31-05 02:09 PM

It used to be Watership Down but more recently it's:

Dolls (2002, Takeshi Kitano)

It opened up old wounds and while I think it's a great film, it's not gonna be watched again in a hurry. :)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/noel/dolls4.jpg

Urban Cowboy 05-31-05 02:53 PM

I'd have to say Mystic River. That whole movie was one big gut punch.

Equilibrium 05-31-05 03:33 PM

Crap, I forgot about some of these. Sometimes I never know whether or not to love a movie that opens up old wounds.

The Taxi Driver 05-31-05 04:01 PM

i wouldnt call it the saddest ever but Rain Man got to me the first time i saw it

FRAME 06-01-05 09:08 PM

A.I. or Dancer in the Dark...

Aniko 06-01-05 09:45 PM

There are alot of sad and tearjerkers for me...and a few threads already started on that topic...
....but I guess 'the' saddest movie for me was probaby Grave of the Fireflies (1988). The story of two kids who have no hope of survival really got to me. They were so sweet. :bawling:

Saddest scene for me (which I know you didn't ask for, but I'm in a posting mood)...is toss up between...

Sophies Choice...Her 'choice' haunted me and stayed with me for a few days.

Rain Man...towards the end when the fire alarm goes off and Charlie falls apart...that hits way too close to home for me...Dustin was right on target. Pierces my heart every time.

Tacitus ...I haven't seen Dolls...I'll have to look for it.

PimpDaShizzle V2.0 06-01-05 10:07 PM

Of Mice and Men (1992)
E.T.
An American Tail
Life is Beautiful

All of those movies are sad to me.

Strummer521 06-02-05 12:17 AM

The Hours would definitley be up there

liam5000 06-02-05 05:35 AM

Woody Allen's Interiors - that thing depressed the hell outta me... yet, I still love it.

chicagofrog 06-02-05 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by liam5000
Woody Allen's Interiors - that thing depressed the hell outta me... yet, I still love it.
why "yet"???????????????????????????????? :rolleyes: , it is actually
the BEST reason to love a movie.

liam5000 06-03-05 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
why "yet"???????????????????????????????? :rolleyes: , it is actually the BEST reason to love a movie.
While I do agree that a depressing film can be a great experience - I wouldn't say that it's the "best reason to love a movie". Still; different strokes for different folks ;)

chicagofrog 06-03-05 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by liam5000
different strokes for different folks
we're on the same wave.

Pyro Tramp 06-03-05 11:57 AM

Irreversible, strange choice, the end (or beginning) is really happy, but then you remember the beginning (or end) and it all crashes and tore my heart :'(

(Dolls any good Tac? Looked a bit arty for me)

Caitlyn 06-03-05 02:28 PM

The Yearling and Old Yeller are the saddest that come to mind right now...

Tacitus 06-03-05 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
(Dolls any good Tac? Looked a bit arty for me)
I dunno how you equate 'arty'. :D

It's evocative and beautifully shot but don't watch it with divorce papers in a nearby room...

Dolls is pretty unique for Kitano, though if you've seen A Scene At The Sea, it's in a similar style. :)

Darth Stujitzu 06-03-05 08:33 PM

The Champ with John Voigt, gets me every time; Champ, champ don't die!

:bawling:

Deckard 06-06-05 02:47 AM

SILENT RUNNING with Bruce Dern...............we are all doomed

undercoverlover 06-06-05 07:21 AM

City of Angels had me seriously crying

Lester Burnham 06-06-05 11:51 AM

Magnolia makes me cry, along with Bambi

CorruptFrame 06-06-05 12:19 PM

Lucky Fluke
American Beauty
Braveheart

Anonymous Last 06-06-05 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
City of Angels had me seriously crying
Going through these motions again?

Sedai 06-06-05 01:50 PM

Welcome to MoFo CorruptFrame...

American Beauty eh? For some reason I found the film to be quite uplifting. The concepts behind the film were very invigorating for me....

Some sad films:

Requiem for a Dream
Blade Runner
(weep for Batty)
Last of the Mohicans
Bleu
AI
(more depressing than sad)

voneil7 06-06-05 02:06 PM

I agree with Requiem for a Dream, but I think the saddest movie I've seen is Life is Beautiful (the one by Roberto Benigni).

liam5000 06-07-05 03:25 AM

In The Bedroom was quite sad, too.

Pink_Panther 07-09-05 11:21 AM

Philadelphia with Tom Hanks
City of Angels also made me cry...

EmuGOD 07-10-05 04:56 AM

1984 book and movie

christine 07-11-05 07:03 PM

Empire of the Sun. The young Christian Bale plays the gutsy lad Jim. Dunno if you've all seen it, so won't spoiler it - but the very end always has me in floods of tears. My eldest kid's called Jim too so I guess its an empathetic response more than the scene is sad (it still is tho)

I'm a terrible one for crying during films :blush:

DarkWrath 07-11-05 07:34 PM

Requiem for a Dream, hands down. After having had experiences resembling those on camera, it struck a chord with me.

adidasss 07-11-05 09:24 PM

i agree with empire of the sun, very sad....i would ad galipoly, philadelphia was a terribly sad movie too...

Sleezy 07-11-05 10:49 PM

Amistad

Uncle Rico 07-11-05 10:57 PM

In Terms of Depressing War of the Worlds.

susan 07-11-05 11:31 PM

schindler's list

koutasmonkey 07-12-05 12:03 PM

One of the movies that really hit my emotions was Remember the Titans, it was a very moving movie and was really sad at times.

Tacitus 07-12-05 12:08 PM

Watership Down (1978, Martin Rosen)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/bungroup.jpg

christine 07-12-05 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus

awwww {{}}

IDigCereal 07-12-05 02:53 PM

The last time I cried in a movie, I was 10 years old and the movie was My Dog Skip. I almost let some tears breach watching ET when I was 13, but they never fell. I believe Requiem for a Dream is one of the saddest films I've seen, and there are parts of Magnolia that really get to me too. Schindler's List and the 1998 documentary The Last Days (also about the Holocaust) made me downright depressed for a while.

Uncle Rico 07-12-05 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tacitus

This is one of my all time favorite movies. It was extremely sad though. The song by Simon and Garfunkel in it is the most beautiful song ive ever heard. The concept of this movie rules.

_fearandloathing_ 07-15-05 01:47 AM

The lion king makes me cry... stupid chick flicks always make me cry... and theyre not even necessarily good movies.

Strummer521 07-15-05 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by _fearandloathing_
stupid chick flicks always make me cry... and theyre not even necessarily good movies.
The Lion King is though. you're not saying it's not good are you?

_fearandloathing_ 07-15-05 02:20 PM

Of course the lion king is good! its one of my favourite movies!

pixdogg 07-16-05 07:05 PM

The Color Purple
Requiem For A Dream

jrs 07-16-05 07:14 PM

On Golden Pond

1donniedarko1 07-16-05 08:31 PM

donnie darko

what a film, could be the greatest film of all time. how do forums work?

1donniedarko1 07-16-05 08:32 PM

any one out there

1donniedarko1 07-16-05 08:33 PM

have u seen frank

Tacitus 07-16-05 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1donniedarko1
any one out there
This isn't a chat room with instant responses. You post and wait for replies.

Welcome to MoFo. :)

Son Of A Preacher Man 07-17-05 03:20 AM

Am I the only one who though the end of Armageddon was sad?

_fearandloathing_ 07-17-05 03:27 AM

Ive never seen Armageddon either:blush:, Another movie to add to my movies I haven't seen that everyone else on the planet has.

Son Of A Preacher Man 07-17-05 03:51 AM

I've never seen fear and loathing in las vegas so we're even.
Yay!

BullTaco 07-17-05 01:09 PM

Fox and the Hound...gets me every time!!

havehope 07-17-05 07:16 PM

has to be roots. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sad

havehope 07-17-05 07:18 PM

when jesus is crucified in jesus of nazareth thats is quite sad

Caitlyn 07-17-05 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by havehope
has to be roots. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sad
Originally Posted by havehope
when jesus is crucified in jesus of nazareth thats is quite sad

Stop double posting and stop posting SPAM ...

_fearandloathing_ 07-21-05 02:35 AM

Id have to say Schindlers list was the saddest movie, forest gump is also really sad and one of my all-time favourites.

Godsend 07-21-05 02:46 AM

I saw Schindlers List in 2003 or 2004, and I've forgotten it...sad...I know.

Saddest movie ever? 2 Fast 2 Furious. NO MORE ATTEMPTS!

Onto my true list....I think Memento is a sad film. A man who can't find the killer of his wife and can't remember anything anymore?

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest the movie hyped me up for freedom, but I was let down (never read the book)

Forrest Gump is quite sad. The ending just tears me into pieces. You wonder why sometimes.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Even though I disliked the movie, something so great that ends up ruined is bad. You should at least have the memories...

Uncle Rico 07-21-05 02:50 AM

In my mind, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was a wonderful and happy film. At the end When shes saying that shell get bored with him he just says ok and accepts the bad things becasue all he wants is to be with her.

Godsend 07-21-05 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
In my mind, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was a wonderful and happy film. At the end When shes saying that shell get bored with him he just says ok and accepts the bad things becasue all he wants is to be with her.
Which is

PATHETIC

Tacitus 07-21-05 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Godsend
Which is

PATHETIC
How so?

Thursday Next 07-22-05 11:41 AM

Moulin Rouge is really sad (makes me cry anyway). The Terminator is kind of sad.

_fearandloathing_ 07-22-05 01:26 PM

I don't understand why people like Moulin Rouge, definetly not my type of movie(therefore, I didnt think it was sad), I especially hate it when people sing the songs from that movie.

Thursday Next 07-23-05 04:56 AM

I don't understand why people like Moulin Rouge, definetly not my type of movie(therefore, I didnt think it was sad), I especially hate it when people sing the songs from that movie.
Moulin Rouge is just cool. :cool: I like all of BazLuhrmann's films, although some people find them too over the top I like all the flashiness. Most of the songs aren't 'from' the movie anyway, the movie uses other songs/bits of other songs, which is also cool. It has a classic (if you don't like the fil you might say 'melodramatic') story. And Ewan McGregor looking particularly tasty. I think if I watched it over and over again the novelty might wear off, though.

Lester Burnham 07-23-05 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BullTaco
Fox and the Hound...gets me every time!!
I forgot that movie, Disney movies get me everytime.

Pyro Tramp 07-23-05 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Godsend
Onto my true list....I think Memento is a sad film. A man who can't find the killer of his wife and can't remember anything anymore?
WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
He killed her

mrsjessica 07-23-05 03:26 PM

I thought The Notebook was sad:bawling:

Ash_Lee 07-23-05 04:31 PM

Dumbo. Anyone who doesn't at least get a lump in their throat when Dumbo's visiting his mum when she's locked up, is an inhuman monster.

bigcheese 07-23-05 05:47 PM

Dancer In The Dark
Salvador
Breaking The Waves

Godsend 07-25-05 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
WARNING: spoilers below
He killed her
Yes...nice spoilers.

How so?
Sounds very child like to me. He's been rejected, but he goes after it. A waste of your life if you ask me. Holden, on the other hand, gave me a rep saying "anyone in a deep, romantic love would go through it for the good parts again" (something along the lines). Baffles me when the hurt is usually worst than the good times.

Also, how would HP know? :p

Uncle Rico 07-26-05 03:18 AM

Well now the saddest and most depressing movie ive ever seen and, anyone whos seen it has to agree with me, is Requiem for a Dream. I would never watch that movie again for the pure fact that hte whole movie is about people going down the drain.

nebbit 07-26-05 07:43 AM

Celtic Warrior 07-26-05 10:32 AM

Magnolia
Requim For A Dream
Moulin Rouge

All three among my favourite movies.

Schindlers' List i don't remember as quit sad, the ending isn't anyway. then I would rather say The Pianist, also a pretty damn good movie.

nymphetamine84 07-26-05 02:49 PM

The Notebook, A Love Song For Bobby Long

gandozer 08-02-05 01:37 AM

Don't Laugh but Oh God (having God respond to you and seeing him for the last time is sad in my book), Ghost, BackDraft, Somewhere in time and even Phenomenon were sad movies from the past. Recently, Snow Walker really surprised me as a good movie, Jersey Girl had its tear scene but I can't remember the movie but it has Denzel Washington and the girl from pitch black he's a bodyguard protecting a little girl. It has a sad ending as well.

Tbj 08-04-05 10:15 AM

Heavenly Creatures is damn sad, if you consider that Pauline and Juliet will never meet again, sad sad sad.

Dancer In The Dark and Breaking The Waves are sad, too. Every movie about abused women is sad, Dogville isn't that sad because Grace took her revenge in the end (btw i don't know what's going to happen to her in Manderlay\Wasington, but Von Trier is probably going to kill her.. that's the way).

then requiem for a dream, full metal jacket, talk to her, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, chinatown, cries and whispers..

Y2Kcast 08-04-05 08:04 PM

Saddest Film

Fluke (1995). That was a really sad one.

Saw just the last 40 minutes of it on July 23, 2000.

got2envy 08-04-05 09:45 PM

E.T. that movie made me cry when I was little..I still get a lump in my throat when i watch the end.

SCdac 08-04-05 10:39 PM

Schindler's List

Jack the Bear (w/ Danny Devito)

Tbj 08-05-05 09:28 AM

E.T. was so scary, i turned the tv off and never watched it again °°

nebbit 08-05-05 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tbj
E.T. was so scary, i turned the tv off and never watched it again °°
Now that is sad ;D

feral cat 08-05-05 10:10 PM

I find the movie "White Dog", very sad ... People can be so cruel and inhuman

The_Butcher 08-05-05 10:24 PM

Heres my list, not in any order.

Beauty and the Beast
Titanic
A Beautiful Mind
Braveheart

-TheButcher

the3pointassassin 08-06-05 05:46 AM

pearl harbour is one of the only movies that i have ever realy felt sad, although that was like 3 years ago when i was 12

blibblobblib 08-06-05 10:13 AM

Million Dollar Baby

Antics 08-06-05 05:35 PM

The green mile

cutter 08-07-05 12:42 PM

Ive never seen Armageddon either:blush:, Another movie to add to my movies I haven't seen that everyone else on the planet has.
You didn't miss much

Cassidy Bogart 08-09-05 04:18 PM

Requiem for a Dream. They should've never started drugs! Everybody don't do drugs! At least not heroin........or speed.

P.S. Antics better learn how to spell Tarantino or there is gonna be trouble.

freek739 08-10-05 12:00 AM

Message in a bottle. Every freaking time, I thought I was done crying, something new hit me. My wife and I won't watch it anymore.

Dukefrukem 08-10-05 03:11 PM

Field of Dreams - gets me every time

Loner 08-11-05 05:38 AM

The saddest movie I've seen is The Bicycle Thief .

Films no one mentioned

The Wizard of Oz

The Pride of the Yankees

Shoe Shine

The Best Years of Our Lives

Forbidden Games

Umberto D.

La Strada

Nights of Cabiria

Paths of Glory

To Kill A Mockingbird

The Sand Pebbles

Brian's Song

The Killing Fields

Goodbye Children

My Life As A Dog

Bastard Out of Carolina

Thursday Next 08-11-05 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Loner

Films no one mentioned

The Wizard of Oz

Maybe cos this is the 'saddest films' thread? It's been a while since I've seen it, but what is sad about The Wizard of Oz?

ipickdaflick 08-11-05 02:27 PM

GREAT THREAD

BAMBI here also.

Misirlou 08-11-05 04:49 PM

Crash
The Fox and The Hound
It's A Wonderful Life

Loner 08-13-05 08:15 AM

The Burmese Harp

Caitlyn 08-13-05 01:49 PM

Million Dollar Baby
He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not

Eyes 08-13-05 02:02 PM

Phantom of the Opera, it is the last movie I have ever cried at.