Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My List of Things that MAY (or MAY NOT) Be Movie-Related (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=45010)

Captain Steel 03-18-16 09:50 PM

My List of Things that MAY (or MAY NOT) Be Movie-Related

Hello and welcome to my first ever list (except for the others I made that no one ever read)!
We'll count down starting with...

#100.

THE UNIVERSE!

https://tribesofcreation.files.wordp...ifan_real1.jpg

This is the first item because most of the things I'll list (some of them being movies) will fall within the realms of The Universe. Some of my favorite things (including some movies) exist within the universe. There's a few things that may not fall within the universe like other dimensions, other universes, tongue piercings, etc., but most things will be within this universe, our universe, the one we share with each other!

Mr Minio 03-18-16 09:54 PM

Re: My List of Things that MAY (or MAY NOT) Be Movie-Related

Oh, just knock it off with them boring lists and post some pics of cute Asian girls!

Captain Steel 03-18-16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1479645)
Oh, just knock it off with them boring lists and post some pics of cute Asian girls!
Heh! What do you THINK is going to be on this list? ;)

Citizen Rules 03-18-16 10:17 PM

Cool thread! The Universe great start! but isn't your list going to go down from there?!:)

I swear just the other day when I typed in a bunch of random letters into google image search and up popped a hot Asian babe in a pink bikini. But can I find that pic again, nope.

Captain Steel 03-18-16 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1479670)
Cool thread! The Universe great start! but isn't your list going to go down from there?!:)

I swear I thought of Captain and Minio, just the other day when I typed in a bunch of random letters into google image search and up popped a hot Asian babe in a pink bikini. But can I find that pic again, nope.
If you find it, Rules, I'll definitely give it a spot somewhere down in the 70's when I get there!

Citizen Rules 03-18-16 10:28 PM

I tried I really did. It was an impressive photo too. I actually thought I should post it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

...Eagerly awaiting #99:D

gbgoodies 03-18-16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1479686)
I tried I really did. It was an impressive photo too. I actually thought I should post it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

...Eagerly awaiting #99:D

Try checking your browser's history. You might be able to find it in there.

Citizen Rules 03-18-16 10:32 PM

Good idea but nope, I delete everything when I shut down the browser. I'm practically CIA, when it comes to computer security.

Captain Steel 03-18-16 10:41 PM

#99.

FRIED CALAMARI

http://bakerbynature.com/wp-content/...1/IMG_4837.jpg

This was just on my mind so I'm putting it at 99. I almost got some tonight, but alas. Unfortunately, it hasn't appeared in many movies (but kudos to any MoFo who can name a movie it has appeared in!)
It's one of the most unique and greatest things in the universe. I almost feel bad about it because we are now learning that creatures in the cephalopod class may be some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, yet they are so delicious when sauteed or deep fried & dipped in a tangy, spicy Thai chili sauce!

gbgoodies 03-18-16 10:45 PM

Sorry, but I can't rep "FRIED CALAMARI". I hate seafood. :sick:

Citizen Rules 03-18-16 10:50 PM

Not to make you feel bad Captain, but you mentioned "creatures in the cephalopod class may be some of the most intelligent animals on the planet". One time when I was snorkeling in the tropics, I seen a pair of Cuddle fish guarding their eggs. I watched them for awhile and I really got a sense that they were intelligent as they were aware of me and not just in a reactionary way. Their intelligence seemed more on par with cats than with fish. Of course you know they are not fish but a member of the cephalopods. It was really cool to see them, they can change their colors instantly and so brilliantly too.

Captain Steel 03-18-16 10:51 PM

#98.

AYAKA MIYOSHI

http://stroyalcupcake.weebly.com/upl...87956_orig.jpg

http://img.ifcdn.com/images/5bac94db...45aeba49_1.jpg

Hey, you've got to start somewhere with Asian girls.
(That category alone will probably require multiple sub-categories!)

Captain Steel 03-18-16 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1479713)
Not to make you feel bad Captain, but you mentioned "creatures in the cephalopod class may be some of the most intelligent animals on the planet". One time when I was snorkeling in the tropics, I seen a pair of Cuddle fish guarding their eggs. I watched them for awhile and I really got a sense that they were intelligent and much different than the fish that swam around. It was really cool to see them as they can change their colors instantly.
Too true, Rules! (See, this is the point of this thread - to start some good discussions).
Unfortunately, the smarter the animal, the better they taste.
Makes me wonder what human tastes like? I hear they're not very good because... the SMARTER the animal, the BETTER they taste! ;)

Ðèstîñy 03-18-16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1479711)
Sorry, but I can't rep "FRIED CALAMARI". I hate seafood. :sick:
I've never tried that before, but seafood is my big meal to make for Saint Patrick's day . . . weekend. I deep fry fish, chicken, shrimp, muscles, hush puppies, fries, and I make crab cakes from scratch. They be bitchin'. I think that's everything I make. I've done crab legs before, but not this year. They weren't that big a deal.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1479715)
Makes me wonder what humans taste like?
Chicken!

gbgoodies 03-18-16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 1479717)
I've never tried that before, but seafood is my big meal to make for Saint Patrick's day . . . weekend. I deep fry fish, chicken, shrimp, muscles, hush puppies, fries, and I make crab cakes from scratch. They be bitchin'. I think that's everything I make. I've done crab legs before, but not this year. They weren't that big a deal.

The only things on that list that I like are chicken and fries. (What are hush puppies?)

Ðèstîñy 03-18-16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1479722)
The only things on that list that I like are chicken and fries. (What are hush puppies?)
I batter up a bunch of these . . .

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...-105079211.jpg

:D

OK, they are actually these guys . . .

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ppies_s4x3.jpg

It's a cornmeal and flour mixture, that you deep fry. I'm sure you'd like them, as long as you have nothing against cornmeal.

gbgoodies 03-18-16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 1479727)
I batter up a bunch of these . . .

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...-105079211.jpg

:D

OK, they are actually these guys . . .

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ppies_s4x3.jpg

It's a cornmeal and flour mixture, that you deep fry. I'm sure you'd like them, as long as you have nothing against cornmeal.

Yeah, the deep-fried cornmeal thing sounds good. :)

I always thought hush puppies were shoes. :shrug:

Ðèstîñy 03-18-16 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1479729)
I always thought hush puppies were shoes. :shrug:
Yeah, but even with the batter, they are too tough to chew. :p

Captain Steel 03-18-16 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 1479717)
Ðèstîñy, if you ever try your hand at frying up some calamari, pop some in an envelope and send 'em my way! ;)

Captain Steel 03-19-16 02:14 AM

#97.

COMIC BOOKS

http://www.unwinnable.com/wp-content.../12/Comics.jpg

Comic Books are very related to movies in that almost all movies start out as a comic of sorts (called a storyboard).
And we are now in the age of comic book movies!
I've loved comics since I was 10 and I still love them (just not the current ones - had enough of everything being a concurrent alternate-universe ultimate other-dimensional counter-continuity splinter reality where every issue is part of a "major crossover event" that can't be followed unless you buy every other title the company puts out.... that and all the flagrant political correctness - give me some Bronze Age action any day!)

gbgoodies 03-19-16 02:28 AM

When I was a kid, I read comic books, but they were books like "Archie", "Richie Rich", "Casper", etc. However Hubby grew up reading all the superhero comics, so over time, I've heard a lot about most of the characters.

It if wasn't for comic books, we wouldn't have so many cool toys and movies. :)

Captain Steel 03-19-16 11:01 PM

#96.

THE UNIVERSE

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/...c1VNz59lB6.jpg

Not to be confused with the #100 on this list... this is the TV show "The Universe."
I like any shows that have to do with space. Although, I think I like "How the Universe Works" a little better, especially the episodes narrated by Mike Rowe. I think he's become my favorite narrator for science shows.

Mr Minio 03-19-16 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1479714)
AYAKA MIYOSHI
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Captain Steel 03-19-16 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1480177)
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Isn't she stunning?
And that's only #98. And we're going to call Ayaka #98-Z and then count backwards through the alphabet!

Captain Steel 03-20-16 02:10 AM

#95.

SCIENCE FICTION

https://peterlangoxford.files.wordpr...pg?w=640&h=360

Next to science itself, one of my favorite man-made creations is Science Fiction - including literature, short stories, books, art, comics, magazines, movies, TV shows, conventions, etc.

Captain Steel 03-20-16 03:26 PM

#98 - Y.

MAIMI YAJIMA

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...ima_Maimi7.jpg

(#98's are mostly dedicated to Mr. Minio!)

gbgoodies 03-20-16 10:00 PM

I like Science Fiction when it doesn't cross over into horror. Once it starts to cross the "horror line", it loses me pretty fast.

I used to love Science Fiction conventions when I was younger. I still like them, but now that so many people have jumped on the bandwagon, they're too crowded. I miss the days when they were held in smaller venues, with guests who would actually walk around the convention, browse the dealers' room, and talk to their fans.

And autographs used to be included in the price of admission. For less than $10, you could spend the weekend at a great convention, and get a few autographs at no extra charge. Nowadays, they charge so much money for autographs that nobody has any money left to buy the stuff they want in the dealers' room. :(

Citizen Rules 03-20-16 10:07 PM

Sci Fi #95...way too low. Love that photo BTW. It looks like it's from one of the moons of Saturn. I think about exploring the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. Astrologers have said that many of the moons are planet like. I doubt mankind will ever venture their. I doubt we will ever step on Mars:(

gbgoodies 03-20-16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1480787)
Sci Fi #95...way too low. Love that photo BTW. It looks like it's from one of the moons of Saturn. I think about exploring the moons of Saturn and Jupiter. Astrologers have said that many of the moons are planet like. I doubt mankind will ever venture their. I doubt we will ever step on Mars:(

That sounds more like future science fact, rather than science fiction.

Captain Steel 03-20-16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1480787)
Really? I think we'll definitely get to Mars. There are so many people working toward it right now.

On a related topic I just watched a documentary called "A Year in Space" (not sure what channel I saw it on).
It was the story of Scott Kelly spending almost a year on the Int'l Space Station. Scott is the twin brother of astronaut Mark Kelly (Gabby Gifford's husband). Since the two are identical twins, NASA is studying both brothers after the mission, using Mark as the ground control subject. The documentary was probably a snoozefest for people who are not science-oriented, but I found it intensely interesting. This all, of course, is said to be research that will contribute to an upcoming Mars mission.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 12:10 AM

Perfect segue for

#94.

SPACE TRAVEL

http://a2.img.talkingpointsmemo.com/...9-nov-2013.jpg

Not sure how to title this item: "NASA History, Astronautics, Pioneering Beyond Earth's Atmosphere, Venturing Into the Void, Exploring Other Worlds, Touching Our Solar System, etc." I've always been interested in the topic & history of Space Travel, from mankind's earliest fantasies about it to the projected future of it. Such an exciting topic and a venture that has yielded so much to modern life and a thousand different fields of study (including more than a few movies)!

Captain Steel 03-21-16 12:32 AM

98 - X.

TAMLYN TOMITA

http://jpninfo.com/wp-content/upload...lyn-tomita.jpg

You may remember her from such films as Karate Kid II (1986), Come See the Paradise (1990), and The Joy Luck Club (1993).
Born in Okinawa, Japan in 1966. Tamlyn is of Filipino & Okinawan decent. Chosen by People Magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world.
- Man! I had such a crush on her when Karate Kid II came out! ;)

honeykid 03-21-16 10:29 AM

Sci-fi, Asian girls, science? What are you, 12? :p:D

honeykid 03-21-16 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1479715)
Too true, Rules! (See, this is the point of this thread - to start some good discussions).
Unfortunately, the smarter the animal, the better they taste.
Makes me wonder what human tastes like? I hear they're not very good because... the SMARTER the animal, the BETTER they taste! ;)
Some cannibals called us "longpigs".

Captain Steel 03-21-16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481035)
You forgot to mention comic books!

Yes, these things are all for children. Anyone interested in science is inherently immature - it's a fact. I think that's the message behind The Big Bang series - that in order to like things like sci-fi and comics you must also have a very immature and uneducated intellect. ;)

honeykid 03-21-16 03:35 PM

I did mean to include comic books, obviously. All the men in TBBT are immature.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481219)
I did mean to include comic books, obviously. All the men in TBBT are immature.
It's the Asian girl thing that got to you, isn't it?
I know, I know. It's politically incorrect, it's sexist, it's racist. Yeah, yeah.
For people who don't dig the Asian girl phenomenon, it's very contentious and ruffles a lot of feathers. Mr. Minio knows what I'm talking about (plus... blame him, he started it!) ;)

honeykid 03-21-16 05:36 PM

No, not at all. It's just something I've found is a bigger thing (if you'll pardon the pun) when younger. That's why I included it. I can't see why anyone would think/call it sexist or politically incorrect, let alone racist.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481272)
No, not at all. It's just something I've found is a bigger thing (if you'll pardon the pun) when younger. That's why I included it. I can't see why anyone would think/call it sexist or politically incorrect, let alone racist.
Of course it's racist. Singling people out by race because you think their race attributes to them being attractive is the same as singling people out by race because you think their race attributes to them being ugly.

We don't identify racism as such when it's directed toward the positive, but we always do when the same type of discriminatory selection is used toward the negative.

honeykid 03-21-16 05:47 PM

No it doesn't. You're not a mysoginist because you're a gay man any more than you're a misanthrope because you're asexual. Finding a race/type/gender/etc attractive or not isn't close to hating/loving them.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481280)
No it doesn't. You're not a mysoginist because you're a gay man any more than you're a misanthrope because you're asexual. Finding a race/type/gender/etc attractive or not isn't close to hating/loving them.
Your differentiation quite astutely touches on the difference between rational thought and the essence of political correctness.

Racism can have many different definitions. Simply being able to identify race is not the same as hating someone you don't know because of their race (as you just pointed out).

This is what political correctness cannot understand - under the PC philosophy, any mention of race means that you must be a race-hating racist UNLESS (and this is important) the race you are both identifying and hating happens to be the majority (then you're just an offended and oppressed person seeking justice against the tyrannical powers who abuse their authority by subjugating minorities).

Listen to this man: regarded as a well-respected public figure, highly-paid commentator and learned luminary explain how it's acceptable to be offended and to lash out at others because of their jobs (police) or their race ("crackers" - referring to the white majority)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpZ0RwtvZmk

Ðèstîñy 03-21-16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1479744)
Ðèstîñy, if you ever try your hand at frying up some calamari, pop some in an envelope and send 'em my way! ;)
OK, but when you die of food poisoning, I don't want to here about it. ;)

Honestly, seafood is one of the worst experiences, when it comes to food poisoning. A restaurant once gave me bad crab meat, in my crab salad. I thought I was going to die. It took quite a few days to feel half human again.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 06:37 PM

#93.

POLITICAL INCORRECTNESS

http://static.politifact.com.s3.amaz...son_debate.png

Since, apparently, this list contains too many immature items, maybe we up it to some more serious subjects. ;)
Why is there a picture of Dr. Ben Carson here? Because of all the recent candidates, I believe he mentioned the scourge of Political Correctness the most times and made countering it a hallmark of his campaign. I could write volumes on why Political Correctness is one of the leading philosophical evils of our time, but for now, I will just sing the praises of any and all who counter it with Political INcorrectness (not the kind that attacks others just to offend, but the kind that exposes the double standards and all that is wrong with PC thought and movements).

Captain Steel 03-21-16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ðèstîñy (Post 1481286)
OK, but when you die of food poisoning, I don't want to here about it. ;)

Honestly, seafood is one of the worst experiences, when it comes to food poisoning. A restaurant once gave me bad crab meat, in my crab salad. I thought I was going to die. It took quite a few days to feel half human again.
I had a similar experience decades ago. It was a shrimp salad sandwich that I ate at the restaurant I worked in.
The food poisoning that resulted was one of the few conditions that made me pray for death as an option.

I remember watching The Shining (1980) on TV while curled up in my bed in a delirium of fever, cold sweats and in between bouts of vomiting! (Note: movie reference!) It probably wasn't the best thing to watch in that state, but it was on & I was too sick to get up to change the channel = pre-remote days.

honeykid 03-21-16 07:16 PM

Does Al Sharpton have any truck with political correctness, though? I'm not well versed with him beyond his obvious publicity hungry posturing (much like in that video) but if he himself doesn't hold himself to those standards, you can't have a go at him for not abiding by those standards, can you? Now, whether the media (who most certainly do use and take into consideration PC at every turn) should use him is another argument.

Also, has he been a bit of a joke since the 90's? That's not rhetorical, I honestly don't know. But that's how it's seemed to me.

Over here, I think even most of the people who can remember Rodney King, OJ or the Michael Jackson trials probably have no idea who he is. Other than that, I don't think he has a profile over here at all.

Gatsby 03-21-16 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481035)
That's why Captain is awesome, he likes the cool stuff.

Captain Steel 03-21-16 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1481359)
Does Al Sharpton have any truck with political correctness, though? I'm not well versed with him beyond his obvious publicity hungry posturing (much like in that video) but if he himself doesn't hold himself to those standards, you can't have a go at him for not abiding by those standards, can you? Now, whether the media (who most certainly do use and take into consideration PC at every turn) should use him is another argument.

Also, has he been a bit of a joke since the 90's? That's not rhetorical, I honestly don't know. But that's how it's seemed to me.

Over here, I think even most of the people who can remember Rodney King, OJ or the Michael Jackson trials probably have no idea who he is. Other than that, I don't think he has a profile over here at all.
I understand what you're saying. And Sharpton is far more used as a tool of PC by the media and others, but is far from practicing it himself (although he engages in looking-to-be-offended as an excuse to cause division & disruption, and the racial double standards aspect of it constantly, so I guess he is somewhat of a PC practitioner, among other things).

In the last decade or so he's been turned into a huge celebrity, filled with "legitimacy" and regarded (as I said) as a respected and learned luminary on equal rights. He's been given TV series, acts as a guest and "consultant" on various news shows, and even hosts his own news talk show.

The reality is Sharpton is a former criminal & drug dealer who plea-bargained with authorities to become a snitch to avoid prosecution. This used to be common knowledge, but it's all be scrubbed from the Internet. He is not a "Reverend" as that was just a nickname given to him when he was a kid and he's never attended a seminary school or been ordained by any theocratic body, school or council. In fact, being a drop out from Brooklyn College is the extent of his education.

He's a race-baiter who has incited multiple incidents of vandalism, violence, and murders. He's represented people making false accusations about serious crimes (which he knew were false) and has committed tax fraud. Yet he's been invited into the White House on many occasions to serve as an adviser to our Commander In Chief!

Here is a case where the PC movement has taken a monster and tried to turn him into a sophisticated man-about-town, but they can't fool some of us when they place him on stage and try to do Puttin' On the Ritz! (Note: another movie reference!) ;)

Captain Steel 04-01-16 08:19 PM

Thread resurrection...

#92.

ART

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/med...onediadamo.jpg

Do I like art? Probably as much as the next guy.
See, the thing is I went to art school for 4 and a half years and got a degree in it.
What does that mean? I still don't know. (I do know that, career-wise, it was a huge mistake! A lesson for you kids out there.)
When I was in college (a university which had an art school), I was referred to in the school paper as an "irreverent cartoonist" and I was known as something of an anti-artist because I exposed and mocked all the B.S. of the art world - and there is a whole lot of B.S. (especially when it comes to the professors who can't seem to marry logic with words that end up resembling the English language, their toady students, the upper-class speculators, and the "avant-garde" B.S. artists who think they are somehow better than others, when what they're really better at is trying to fool the public with another version of the Emperor's New Clothes). So, unlike some, I'm not going to try to tell you what art is or what it isn't, just that if you like it and think it's cool, then that means YOU like and think it's cool!

Citizen Rules 04-01-16 09:30 PM

I exposed and mocked all the B.S. of the art world - and there is a whole lot of B.S
You piqued my interest...how about some examples of what you consider to be B.S. art.?

Captain Steel 04-01-16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1487683)
You piqued my interest...how about some examples of what you consider to be B.S. art.?
Well, for instance - the story of Mark Kostabi (I hope I've got the name right) - a guy who sold his name more than his art. He ended up having other people do the art work for him and he only signed his name to the works. So collectors & speculators paid high prices for "Kostabis" - they paid for the name, not realizing the artist's hands never created the works. Kostabi got rich - I don't know what he paid the people who actually created the art. A docu-film was made about him in 2009 called Con Artist (I haven't seen it).

In a sense, he was also exposing what B.S. the art world is (while getting rich off of the cult of celebrity and "brand recognition" that speculators fall for).

Citizen Rules 04-01-16 10:12 PM

Ahh...I didn't know about that. Have you heard about alleged scandal involving the artist who did the big eyed children and pets art in the 50s?
A drama about the awakening of the painter Margaret Keane, her phenomenal success in the 1950s, and the subsequent legal difficulties she had with her husband, who claimed credit for her works in the 1960s.
I only learned about it from the movie Big Eyes (2014).

Gatsby 04-01-16 10:20 PM

For me, the B.S in the art world is the pretentiousness. Modern art is responsible, but there are still works I admire.

Captain Steel 04-01-16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1487702)
Ahh...I didn't know about that. Have you heard about alleged scandal involving the artist who did the big eyed children and pets art in the 50s?

I only learned about it from the movie Big Eyes (2014).
Big Eyes is on my watch list.

Captain Steel 04-01-16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1487705)
For me, the B.S in the art world is the pretentiousness. Modern art is responsible, but there are still works I admire.
Indeed. Most of the B.S. does revolves around modern art. That's why I put up a painting by Michelangelo as an example of true art. (Oops! I promised I would not try to define what art is for people.)

Citizen Rules 04-01-16 11:55 PM

Let me know what you think of it. Much of the film deals with art vs hype vs salesmanship. I thought it was a pretty cool film and the best film I've seen from Tim Burton...When I was a little kid, I had one of those Big Eye prints on my bedroom wall. I remember that it kind of crept me out.

Captain Steel 04-02-16 12:02 AM

And speaking of films about art - I watched Tim's Vermeer (2013) a while back.
I loved it. Just fascinating & mind blowing. I'm always astounded at how people in ancient times were so innovative and developed such "technologies" without the benefit of anything that we consider "technology". We (people of today) are supposed to have the accumulated knowledge of the ages, but very few of us could come up with a lot of the things our ancestors did.

Captain Steel 04-02-16 12:20 AM

Another interesting documentary about art is My Kid Could Paint That (2007) - about an alleged toddler prodigy and the whirlwind odyssey of sudden riches, controversy and rumors of scandal that turned one formerly average family inside out.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/a89bca955...ggx1s6q3ny.jpg

honeykid 04-02-16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1487696)
Well, for instance - the story of Mark Kostabi (I hope I've got the name right) - a guy who sold his name more than his art. He ended up having other people do the art work for him and he only signed his name to the works. So collectors & speculators paid high prices for "Kostabis" - they paid for the name, not realizing the artist's hands never created the works. Kostabi got rich - I don't know what he paid the people who actually created the art. A docu-film was made about him in 2009 called Con Artist (I haven't seen it).

In a sense, he was also exposing what B.S. the art world is (while getting rich off of the cult of celebrity and "brand recognition" that speculators fall for).
Warhol did the same, especially after the 60's. The man was a genius and a visionary. I feel that was his art more than his art.

There's a guy in China doing the same thing on a huge scale, atm. I can't remember his name for the life of me, though. He's just done a supermarket filled with empty (but 'unopened') packaging.

Captain Steel 04-02-16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1487996)
Warhol did the same, especially after the 60's. The man was a genius and a visionary. I feel that was his art more than his art.

There's a guy in China doing the same thing on a huge scale, atm. I can't remember his name for the life of me, though. He's just done a supermarket filled with empty (but 'unopened') packaging.
And it may have been DuChamp who started it all by hanging urinals upside down and calling it Le Fountain!

Hopefully, Honeykid, you are happy with the more "mature" trend this thread has taken?

(But don't worry, folks... there are more Asian chicks, comic boos and sci-fi on their way... and maybe even some sci-fi comic book Asian chicks!) ;)

honeykid 04-02-16 05:38 PM

Oh, Duchamp definitely started it, though his point was more that it was art rather than just signing something for profit.

I'm not happier with it, but at least it interests me. Though I'm always happy to look at good looking women, Asian or otherwise.

nebbit 04-03-16 09:16 PM

umm interesting :goof:

Captain Steel 04-04-16 08:55 PM

#91.

BIGFOOT

https://futuretom.files.wordpress.co...ot-classic.jpg

I'm not sure why, but I've always been interested in this subject.
I think it's due to the slim chance that there may be some things that are quite astounding and unbelievable in the natural world (and not just in the most remote regions of the planet, but perhaps in our own relative backyard) that we haven't yet discovered.

I'm not saying I believe it's real, just that I believe in the possibility, remote though it may be. There is far more evidence for this one subject than for virtually any other cryptozoological entity. And yet the utter lack of specific types of evidence provide a fairly good refutation for the theory of the creature's existence.

Whether it's legend or hoax or real, it's just a fun topic and I'm a bit sad at how TV's treatment of it in recent years has relegated it to "Reality-TV" status as opposed to documentary or research status.

Citizen Rules 04-04-16 09:29 PM

ahhh...I remember that old video clip. It always cracked me that the alleged Big Foot looked right at the camera. Didn't the camera man finally admit he hoaxed it?

Captain Steel 04-04-16 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1489546)
ahhh...I remember that old video clip. It always cracked me that the alleged Big Foot looked right at the camera. Didn't the camera man finally admit he hoaxed it?
Not at all, Rules. The Patterson / Gimlin film is still regarded as one of the best pieces of evidence (and the best Bigfoot video). It has actually had an increase in credibility as it's been examined under increasingly advanced technology and several scientists & film analysts who previously wrote it off as a guy in a gorilla suit have reversed their opinion upon closer examination. Roger Patterson died in 1972, but Bob Gimlin is still alive and still ascertains that the film is an authentic record of a non-human, bipedal animal.

Other people have come forward to say the film is a hoax or that they took part in it, but many of those claims have been invalidated or have so many holes in them that make them dubious at best.

Citizen Rules 04-04-16 09:57 PM

Thanks...I stand corrected:) I'm not sure what I'm thinking of then?

Captain Steel 04-04-16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1489571)
Thanks...I stand corrected:) I'm not sure what I'm thinking of then?
A little research - Gimlin still maintains it was authentic as far as he knows, but stated in an interview that it is "possible" that it was an extremely elaborate hoax and he wasn't in on it.

As a hoax that did not include Gimlin, it would've been dangerous as I believe both men were armed, so if Gimlin wasn't in on it and Patterson had set a guy up in a costume, there was no way he could've assured that Gimlin would not have opened fire.

You may also be thinking of the many people who've claimed that they occupied the suit - but several web sites say all of those claims have been disproved.

honeykid 04-05-16 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1489530)
I think it's due to the slim chance that there may be some things that are quite astounding and unbelievable in the natural world (and not just in the most remote regions of the planet, but perhaps in our own relative backyard) that we haven't yet discovered.
You can virtually guarantee that if you dig up a square metre of your garden you'll find some kind of life which was previously unknown. New species are found all the time.

Captain Steel 04-07-16 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1489925)
You can virtually guarantee that if you dig up a square metre of your garden you'll find some kind of life which was previously unknown. New species are found all the time.
This is part of the reason I maintain the idea that Bigfoot is at least a possibility.

When we look at the discovery of the mountain Gorilla in the 19th century it serves as a good example of a formerly legendary, giant man-like creature being discovered (but then they also didn't have electronic trail cams in the 19th century).

For me, the three great pieces of Bigfoot video are (and you can look them up on YouTube):
1. The Patterson-Gimlin film
2. The Freeman footage
3. The Harley Hoffman film

But then there's this one... fairly recent... what gets me about this is the sound of the bark being ripped off the tree by the subject. It just sounds like it's done with such force that only some kind of great ape could do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8MQnuWS7Y

P.S. I think Todd Standing (the guy who appeared on Survivor Man and who made the "Sylvanic Bigfoot" documentary) is most likely a fraud - his filmed Bigfoot faces look like Ewoks.

Captain Steel 04-12-16 03:48 AM

98 - W.

RINKO KIKUCHI

- starred in Pacific Rim (2013) & Babel (2006)

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/ima...ori-519631.jpg

Bubblerune 04-12-16 03:51 PM

I don't know her but she looks super tough! Maybe should start watching Pacific Rim =P.

Captain Steel 04-14-16 12:14 AM

#90.

JOHN ADAMS

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/df1.../s-john-adams1

I'm putting this guy up here as one of the most unsung founding fathers who probably did more for the cause of American independence than any other individual, and yet has no monuments dedicated to him in the capital, no major statues, and he's not featured on any U.S. currency (unlike several other founding fathers and Presidents).

An interesting fact is that this man who became a leader in the revolution against the British served as the defense council for the British soldiers involved in the "Boston Massacre" and got all but two of them acquitted! (The two who were found guilty of manslaughter had their thumbs branded).

To Adams' credit he was:

·An elected delegate for Massachusetts to both the First and Second Continental Congresses;

·A major driving force behind the American Revolution;

·One of the five members to serve on the Declaration of Independence Committee;

·A staunch Abolitionist for his entire life (while Ben Franklin, another well-known Abolitionist, actually owned slaves at one time. And while Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration, owned slaves his whole life!);

·One of the newly founded United States' first delegates to Holland, France & England;

·The first U.S. Vice President under George Washington;

·The second President of the United States;

·The "father" of the United States Navy;

·The first President to occupy the White House in Washington D.C.;

·In office when he averted war with France;

·The first President to be the father of another President.

gbgoodies 04-14-16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1495488)
#90.

JOHN ADAMS

http://static.theglobeandmail.ca/df1.../s-john-adams1

I'm putting this guy up here as one of the most unsung founding fathers who probably did more for the cause of American independence than any other individual, and yet has no monuments dedicated to him in the capital, no major statues, and he's not featured on any U.S. currency (unlike several other founding fathers and Presidents).

An interesting fact is that this man who became a leader in the revolution against the British served as the defense council for the British soldiers involved in the "Boston Massacre" and got all but two of them acquitted! (The two who were found guilty of manslaughter had their thumbs branded).

To Adams' credit he was:

·An elected delegate for Massachusetts to both the First and Second Continental Congresses;

·A major driving force behind the American Revolution;

·One of the five members to serve on the Declaration of Independence Committee;

·A staunch Abolitionist for his entire life (while Ben Franklin, another well-known Abolitionist, actually owned slaves at one time. And while Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration, owned slaves his whole life!);

·One of the newly founded United States' first delegates to Holland, France & England;

·The first U.S. Vice President under George Washington;

·The second President of the United States;

·The "father" of the United States Navy;

·The first President to occupy the White House in Washington D.C.;

·In office when he averted war with France;

·The first President to be the father of another President.

I also loved him as the voice of KITT in "Knight Rider". :)

Captain Steel 04-14-16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1495494)
I also loved him as the voice of KITT in "Knight Rider". :)
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/images/4812e.jpg

(I'm hoping this level of sophistication can compete with the fart threads!)

TONGO 04-14-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1489530)
#91.

BIGFOOT

https://futuretom.files.wordpress.co...ot-classic.jpg

I'm not saying I believe it's real, just that I believe in the possibility, remote though it may be. There is far more evidence for this one subject than for virtually any other cryptozoological entity. And yet the utter lack of specific types of evidence provide a fairly good refutation for the theory of the creature's existence.

Whether it's legend or hoax or real, it's just a fun topic and I'm a bit sad at how TV's treatment of it in recent years has relegated it to "Reality-TV" status as opposed to documentary or research status.
THERE IS NO BIGFOOT, and ill tell you why. Bloodhounds.

Im warning everyone, this is a heavy story has a bad ending Im using as an example, but its such an obvious solution I feel its necessary.

I saw a news special on about a little girl who was taken from her home, right out of her bed, and the police couldnt come up with anything. They brought in someone that owned what really looked like a Basset Hound, 3 days later. 3 days. That dog was brought into her room and got whiff of her scent then went to the window, thats where the p.o.s. came in from and left with her from.

The dog goes outside, and goes from the window and starts going down the street. They followed in cars. For miles this dog went, but with purpose, until they got to a highway, and the dog started going up the turn lane to get onto it. So they grabbed the dog, and drove to the next exit and let him out. GET THIS! The dog doesnt go down the exit, but keeps wanting to go forward on the highway. They snatch him up, and go to the next exit, and continued this process until eventually the dog went down an exit.

They followed him, and then after it went down a long stretch of road it went from the road and straight into the woods. At that point the dogs owner made them stop as he said "the dog would keep going till it died of exhaustion". They brought a search team in and found her body. Besides that story there are stories of a bloodhound that can smell a dead body from a boat at the bottom of a pond! Fact!

So there is no way on earth some 300 lbs 12 foot tall cavemanthingy is running around AT ALL! Any damn dog would be able to track that stankassed mess if it ever existed. THE END. Bigfoot is like Pro-Wrestling, there are some people that are entertained in a fictional belief, and they just would rather believe there is one. Finding Bigfoot my balls. That show is a 100% sham, less honest than pro-wrestling even.

http://www.nrlceo.com/wp-content/upl...37d1ae826c.jpg

Captain Steel 04-14-16 12:54 AM

Those are some good points, Tongo. And they will invite more debate. As someone who's in the middle of the road, I'm not going to try to refute everything on one side and support everything on the other.

A couple things I will say that I've read or heard about Bigfoot & dogs... Some reports say Bigfoots will kill dogs. Others say that Bigfoots are one animal that dogs are afraid of and even if they have a scent, will abandon it rather than face the big fella (whereas they have no problem going up against a bear or mountain lion). This might be along the line of what many humans say - that they feel a preternatural fear in the presence of Bigfoot (which is often the excuse of why they always shut off their camera and run right when they are about to get a clear picture of a blob-squatch).

TONGO 04-14-16 01:02 AM

Theres no 19 foot tall 400 pound anything thats gives off a supernatural fear to where in todays age and technology you cant get indisputable proof. DNA, done! That big assed critter doesnt shed?! Hell yes itd shed!

I saw a Finding Bigfoot scene where they say they found a big pool of sasquatch urine. Now.unless they see squatch taking a whizz, what makes this urine bigfoots?! Does it give off a supernatural aura OH HELL NAW there is no bigfoot! :nope:

TONGO 04-14-16 01:06 AM

Btw Im not really upset or raging, just tongue and cheek kidding around. ;)

Captain Steel 04-14-16 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1495511)
Theres no 19 foot tall 400 pound anything thats gives off a supernatural fear to where in todays age and technology you cant get indisputable proof. DNA, done! That big assed critter doesnt shed?! Hell yes itd shed!

I saw a Finding Bigfoot scene where they say they found a big pool of sasquatch urine. Now.unless they see squatch taking a whizz, what makes this urine bigfoots?! Does it give off a supernatural aura OH HELL NAW there is no bigfoot! :nope:
This brings up something I've long wondered about. I've heard the statement on several documentaries that scientists have studied the DNA of hair samples that they say belong to no known indigenous species and no "known" primates, but is from an "unidentified" primate that inhabits the Pacific northwest. (And the only known primates that inhabit the area are humans, who's hair is easily verified.)

I've heard Professor Jeff Meldrum make this statement. Les Stroud made this statement on his show. Yet, I can't find any solid evidence of what these statements are based on, where the samples are located, who has them, or who the scientists are that supposedly made them.

Captain Steel 04-14-16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1487683)
I have to go back to talking about art because I just viewed the new documentary: Mapplethorpe: Look at the Pictures (2016).

This gentleman's "body of work" and the fame & unbelievable wealth that came with it illustrates some of the things I was talking about with the art world.

One of the most telling things in the film is how Mapplethorpe hooked up with a very rich, older, gay man with a lot of connections who became Mapplethorpe's "sugar daddy." Someone in the documentary says how if this rich dude hadn't bought Mapplethorpe's way into the art world, then no one would have ever heard of Mapplethorpe.

That pretty much sums it up.

If you have enough money to buy your way into the right galleries, wrap it up in expensive mats & frames, and have the connections to get some illustrious art snobs to show up, then you can convince the ridiculous speculators who make up the "art world" that a bunch of gay porn photos are "art" that's worth millions of dollars.

Congratulations to Robert Mapplethorpe for capitalizing on the utter ignorance, greed & lemming mentality of humanity.

I'd do the same with my artwork, but my ethics preclude me from trying to fraud people into thinking something that isn't all that special (or is just porn) is actually "art" that has nonsensical monetary value.

Citizen Rules 04-14-16 03:44 PM

Very interesting Capt. I never knew, that you knew so much about art. Question about your artwork: I know you've mentioned working as a cartoonist (illustrator) in the past. Can you tell me more about that and also do you work in other mediums. I have my own little art story that relates to BS in art. I'll post about it, in awhile.

Captain Steel 04-14-16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1495880)
Very interesting Capt. I never knew, that you knew so much about art. Question about your artwork: I know you've mentioned working as a cartoonist (illustrator) in the past. Can you tell me more about that and also do you work in other mediums. I have my own little art story that relates to BS in art. I'll post about it, in awhile.
Hi Rules. For the most part I've dropped out of visual arts pursuits (for now).

For me, art as a way to give a visual narrative to my creative expression as I was always coming up with characters & stories as a kid - but I was not a natural when it came to drawing. I was naturally creative, but not gifted with talent like some of the other artists I met. Whatever skills I developed came through practice.

I wanted to be a comic book artist, but just didn't have the skill, patience or persistence to get to that level. Without the skill to render realistically without hours of painstaking effort, I fell into cartooning.

My art school education took place just before the computer age took off, so I was only educated in pre-computer art. I had a comic strip in a school newspaper & I've dabbled in various mediums since.

I tried at different points to get into syndicated cartooning, but no leads ever took off.

I did quite a few freelance commissions, but never enough to make a living off of - and for me, it was always laborious & emotionally fatiguing, taking far longer than it was worth.

It took me a while to admit that I just didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation because it took more effort and time than I wanted to commit (and then there were the mistakes - after 3 weeks of work, spilling ink on it, or finding I spelled something in the piece wrong, or smearing a face on a finished portion with the side of my hand, etc.).

gbgoodies 04-14-16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1495947)
Hi Rules. For the most part I've dropped out of visual arts pursuits (for now).

For me, art as a way to give a visual narrative to my creative expression as I was always coming up with characters & stories as a kid - but I was not a natural when it came to drawing. I was naturally creative, but not gifted with talent like some of the other artists I met. Whatever skills I developed came through practice.

I wanted to be a comic book artist, but just didn't have the skill, patience or persistence to get to that level. Without the skill to render realistically without hours of painstaking effort, I fell into cartooning.

My art school education took place just before the computer age took off, so I was only educated in pre-computer art. I had a comic strip in a school newspaper & I've dabbled in various mediums since.

I tried at different points to get into syndicated cartooning, but no leads ever took off.

I did quite a few freelance commissions, but never enough to make a living off of - and for me, it was always laborious & emotionally fatiguing, taking far longer than it was worth.

It took me a while to admit that I just didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation because it took more effort and time than I wanted to commit (and then there were the mistakes - after 3 weeks of work, spilling ink on it, or finding I spelled something in the piece wrong, or smearing a face on a finished portion with the side of my hand, etc.).

It's interesting that you said that you "didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation". One of my college friends was an amazing artist, and he was even offered a job by Marvel. He turned it down because he said that he enjoyed drawing, but if he had to do it for a living, he was afraid that it wouldn't be enjoyable for him anymore.

Captain Steel 04-14-16 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1495951)
It's interesting that you said that you "didn't enjoy illustrating as an occupation". One of my college friends was an amazing artist, and he was even offered a job by Marvel. He turned it down because he said that he enjoyed drawing, but if he had to do it for a living, he was afraid that it wouldn't be enjoyable for him anymore.
I think that's a common problem, GBG. And it could probably be applied to most creative outlets - as soon as it becomes a "job" (with all the inherent pressures, deadlines, and required compromises & conformities) the love of the craft can soon drift away.

I got involved in some art-related jobs, and while being around other creative people was a great inspiration & motivation, the jobs themselves turned me off to some art aspects. I was a picture framer for a while which kept me close to artists & the art world. I also got a job as a color-separator for a company that supplied services to DC Comics (and to Marvel occasionally & a couple other companies). During that time, even my love for comics began to wane.

Captain Steel 04-17-16 10:04 PM

#89.

BUMPS

http://mumsgrapevine.com.au/site/wp-...2/01/newb9.jpg

Bump!

TONGO 04-17-16 10:13 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/53438064.jpg

Citizen Rules 04-17-16 10:22 PM

Speed bumps? or Goose bumps? or the dance known as The Bump?

Captain Steel 04-17-16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1497768)
Speed bumps? or Goose bumps? or the dance known as The Bump?
It's whatever kind of bumps you want! (I'm going with Sexy Celebrity's new attitude of no pressure here!)

Citizen Rules 04-17-16 11:52 PM

Most speed bumps are, ahhh, OK. But there is this one parking lot that has monster sized speed bumps. I hate those things. They're tall and steep.

honeykid 04-18-16 09:13 AM

I think this is the best bump

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...r_bump.gif&f=1

Captain Steel 04-23-16 10:51 PM

#88.

COUNTDOWN LISTS!

http://www.greatamericancountry.com/...-countdown.jpg

Why do we love them? What are they counting down to? Would the world be better without them? What are your top 20 favorite countdown lists? Can you name them in descending numerical order?
Feel free to quote, question, comment, criticize, complain or discuss.

Citizen Rules 04-23-16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1500959)
#88.

COUNTDOWN LISTS!

http://www.greatamericancountry.com/...-countdown.jpg

Why do we love them? What are they counting down to? Would the world be better without them? What are your top 20 favorite countdown lists?
Feel free to quote, question, comment, criticize, complain or discuss.
Whoops sorry!

On a serious note I had some thoughts on Bigfoot, but I don't have the time right now. Pizza's about done and I'm turning into a pumpkin in 15mins.

Captain Steel 04-23-16 11:00 PM

Way to interrupt my flow, Rules!!! :mad:

But seriously, I'm always up for hearing about or discussing the large pedaled one!
So ya'll come back now, y'hear?

Citizen Rules 04-23-16 11:03 PM

Ha! I'm not completely gone, I still have 10 minutes:D

Captain Steel 04-23-16 11:06 PM

Yes, the search continues. I have certain ones in mind, but have trouble finding photos that I feel do them justice.

Citizen Rules 04-23-16 11:09 PM

That was a short 15....see ya!
https://media4.giphy.com/media/xbP2PXO9nCXZK/200_s.gif

Captain Steel 04-23-16 11:22 PM

From here on in, I'm just going to list Asian Chicks as "Asian Chicks" (you can just assume they are all part of item #98). Despite our love of Countdown Lists, who wants a countdown list within a countdown list?

ASIAN CHICKS:

So here is Sooyoung Choi of South Korea...

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/poll...61064_full.jpg

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/poll...95900_full.jpg

http://orig03.deviantart.net/871a/f/...il-d5t8dmx.jpg\

https://myfiction370.files.wordpress...ctober-6-3.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...12-450-450.jpg

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...0-1600-900.jpg

(I know Mr. Minio doesn't like this one... Sooyoung is just too perfect... she does have some nice teeth!)

honeykid 04-24-16 01:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twoO3xYRsz0

Captain Steel 07-17-16 10:41 PM

#87.

BUMPING OLD THREADS AFTER YOUR COMPUTER DIED AND YOU HAD TO GET A NEW ONE (BUT YOU HAD TO GET A NEW ONE ANYWAY SINCE "VISTA" IS "NO LONGER SUPPORTED")

https://yeldaba.files.wordpress.com/...n-computer.jpg

Okay, this item is kind of a subset of #89. (BUMPS), but then, everything on this list will be a subset of #100. (THE UNIVERSE).
Hopefully there will just be more cute Asian chicks soon!

Citizen Rules 07-17-16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1547353)
Hopefully there will just be more cute Asian chicks soon!
You know I like the old classics, so how about Hideko Takamine! I've only seen her in one movie Twenty Four Eyes (1954)...no it's not a Japanese b-budget monster flick about a multi-eyed creature created by atomic waste. It's about a school teacher and her 12 students.

Captain Steel 07-18-16 12:20 AM

Thanks Rules.
I remember your review of that movie (at least I hope it's the same one I remember) and it piqued my interest. So it's on my list of films to obtain!
P.S. Pics look great!