Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What is Michael Bay's Best Movie? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=26772)

Saully 09-16-11 06:25 PM

What is Michael Bay's Best Movie?

For me, it's The Island. With The Rock coming in second.

MrPink 09-16-11 06:30 PM

Re: What is Michael Bay's Best Movie?

The Rock

Sandman 09-16-11 06:34 PM

I loved Transformers.
It was great!
The other two... bah.

TylerDurden99 09-16-11 07:06 PM

I voted for The Rock, mainly because I grew up with that movie and I've seen more times than the rest of Bay's filmography. I do like the other films in that poll, except The Island, which I could not get into, and Bad Boys, which I haven't seen yet.

jillwashburn 09-16-11 07:21 PM

YOU can be a part of this feature film! YOU get rewards if you make a pledge! Net proceeds also go toward helping the homeless! Please see me in Facebook. Thanks.

HitchFan97 09-16-11 07:24 PM

Michael Bay has no "best movie", because he doesn't make films. He creates garbage.

Deadite 09-16-11 07:49 PM

The Rock. Then Transformers.

Yoda 09-16-11 07:55 PM

What Deadite said, with the addendum that The Rock wins by a significant margin. Genuinely good, fun, funny movie. It's one of the best examples of how a broad, over-the-top action film can genuinely work. It makes me think that Bay's style of making movies is actually not without value, but that he's only managed to realize the ideal of that style once so far.

Of course, when it fails it fails a bit more gauchely than other styles, too.

honeykid 09-16-11 09:42 PM

I like Bad Boys most, but The Rock maybe his best film.

Plainview 09-16-11 10:53 PM

The Rock

rufnek 09-16-11 11:41 PM

Had to do a search online to find out who's Michael Bay and what movies has he made. Found out I've actually seen two of them--"The Rock" and "Armageddon." Best thing I can say for "The Rock" is that "Armageddon" is even worse. I've seen better film on bad teeth.

Iroquois 09-17-11 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 765266)
Michael Bay has no "best movie", because he doesn't make films. He creates garbage.
But The Rock is good garbage.

Nausicaä 09-17-11 06:12 PM

Most definitely The Rock but I enjoyed The Island, it was a step in the right direction somewhat back to The Rock quality.

Pyro Tramp 09-17-11 06:23 PM

I actually like Bad Boys quite a lot, heck, i like BOTH of them which is saying something as they star Martin Lawrence.

The Rock used to be one of my favourite films, not seen in a long time so don't know how it would hold up but was a lot of fun there for sure and before Bay's name ended in 'hem'.

Transformers, the first at least, was decent action fare and exactly what it said on the tin... 'bayhem' and 'baysplosions'

Basically, he may be a soulless Hollywood capitalist etc etc but looking at his output, he ain't Uwe Boll, Pearl Harbour, Transformers 2 aside

bouncingbrick 09-17-11 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 765373)
But The Rock is good garbage.
No it isn't. It has a scene where Sean Connery has to roll through a furnace dodging random fire and gears like something from a bad 1960's TV series. It's just as stupid as all of his stuff.

Voting on this thread is like trying to vote on which was my favorite wisdom tooth to have pulled. No thanks.

Saully 09-17-11 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick (Post 765534)
No it isn't. It has a scene where Sean Connery has to roll through a furnace dodging random fire and gears like something from a bad 1960's TV series. It's just as stupid as all of his stuff.

Voting on this thread is like trying to vote on which was my favorite wisdom tooth to have pulled. No thanks.
Not even close.

Iroquois 09-17-11 09:59 PM

I also like the fact that the second and third Transformers weren't made options by the OP.

nebbit 09-17-11 10:01 PM

Just watched Bad Boys for the first time :eek: didn't like it that much :nope: some of the acting was dreadful :yup:
Have to go with The Rock :)

mark f 09-18-11 12:33 AM

Michael Bay is underrated around here. I certainly understand it because he's a gazillionaire. I don't think I've seen his last four flix and BBII, but I don't see what's so bad about his crap. It's more entertaining than many other similar pieces of crap and even some "great" indie faves. I don't especially want to support obscene expenditures of money for recycled crap as an homage to much better Hollywood flix of the past, and I certainly support filmmakers with a more-humanistic vision, but I understand that my sniping won't "fix anything". Maybe I need to watch all this Transformers crap to get more indignant, but maybe I've already "voted" with my wallet and I'm not really interested in watching him or trashing him. I'll probably watch them for "free" at some point if I ever care.

Harry Lime 09-18-11 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 765559)
I don't think I've seen his last four flix and BBII...
"You ain't seen Bad Boys II?"

mark f 09-18-11 01:36 AM

Bad Boys I watched on video and found amusing, but II, no. The only Bay film I've even seen at the theatre is The Rock.

wintertriangles 09-18-11 10:18 AM

The Rock, even though I hated the first act and the score. It's his only film, but I actually did enjoy myself I hate to admit.

gandalf26 09-18-11 10:27 AM

Transformers just pips the Rock for me.

HitchFan97 09-18-11 11:47 AM

I think I'll start a new thread, "Ed Wood's Best Movie".

Monkeypunch 09-18-11 12:08 PM

Ed Wood's best movie was Plan 9! And it was about on a par with any Michael Bay flick, he just didn't have access to big stars or special effects.

Iroquois 09-19-11 01:02 AM

I'd watch a Michael Bay remake of Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Tripod 09-19-11 01:06 AM

I can see Plan 9 being remade in my head already. Explosions, spaceships, a popular rap song playing, explosions, spaceship, then more explosions.

:D

filmgirlinterrupted 09-19-11 01:44 AM

The Rock, with Bad Boys II coming in at a close second...

IRuleSoHard 09-27-11 10:35 PM

Not only is Sean Connery great but I can actually stomach Nicholas Cage in The Rock, which is a rarity.

honeykid 09-27-11 11:24 PM

The first part of that sentence is all wrong, but the second I agree with.

sreenathpktr 09-28-11 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by HitchFan97 (Post 765266)
True....I don't like any of his films...Rock is just watchable...

HitchFan97 09-28-11 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 765787)
I'd watch a Michael Bay remake of Plan 9 From Outer Space.
It would probably be worse than Ed Wood's version.

Iroquois 09-28-11 09:02 AM

Let's see...Plan 9 From Outer Space featured a ridiculous premise built around implausible science that served as a vehicle for laughable performances and conspicuous use of special effects. Sounds like your average Michael Bay movie anyway.

voneil7 09-29-11 01:52 PM

Since this apparently isn't a trick question, I would have to pick The Rock.

bouncingbrick 10-02-11 10:35 AM

Alright, I'm man enough to admit when I was wrong. However, I'll say in my defense that when I said he hasn't made a good film I hadn't seen Transformers: Dark of the Moon yet.

That said, Transformers 3 isn't even an option in the poll! Crap!

I watched Transformers 3 last night with my kids expecting more of the same extremely stupid crap like the first two films. Instead I got a slightly toned down and tamer version of Michael Bay than I have ever seen, a plot that, while simple, actually made sense, and a two and a half hour action film that never felt boring or padded! What the hell?!? Where did this film come from?

Transformers: Dark of the Moon is not only his best film, but it's the only Bay film that I actually want to watch again! It played like a live action version of the Transformers cartoon, which is what I've always wanted from the films. The story was slim enough that it never got convoluted like the second one, but it still had enough of a story to keep me interested (of course that story was paper thin, but it was still there). The action was pretty good, but it should be since that's the only thing Bay has ever done well.

Anyway, I was wrong, he has made at least one decent film. The rest are all crap.

lundy1026 10-02-11 11:10 AM

I voted Pearl Harbor. I quite love that movie. It stays accurate to History and really pulls you into the story of it all. :)

bouncingbrick 10-02-11 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by lundy1026 (Post 769340)
I voted Pearl Harbor. I quite love that movie. It stays accurate to History and really pulls you into the story of it all. :)
Well, I wouldn't call it "accurate"... See here. My favorite is the quote from the man who was actually there: "a piece of trash... over-sensationalized and distorted".

Plus there's the fact that it doesn't quite capture the horror of combat the way better war films do.

lundy1026 10-02-11 11:56 AM

Well........ I loved the movie anyways. It touched me emotionally and as I recall it kept me on the edge of my seat. True there are better war movies, I just think this is Michael Bay's best to me.:)

lundy1026 10-02-11 11:56 AM

transformers in 2nd LOL

bouncingbrick 10-02-11 01:48 PM

I just hate that Bay turned the most damaging attack on US soil by outside forces prior to 9-11 into flag-waving melodrama on par with daytime soap opera's and high school theater.

Compare it to Saving Private Ryan, a fictional tale set within the very real invasion of Normandy. The story itself is made up, but the human elements feel real and the recreation of the war was so accurate that WWII Vets cried when they watched the film, not blatantly insult it.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't like it, what I'm saying is Bay should never, ever attempt to recreate history again.

Jer1cko 10-05-11 09:09 PM

Michael Bay doesn't have ANY good movies...

BUT, they sure do make a SH** load of money man, lol.

If there is one thing he knows how to do right its THAT.