Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who Deserves A Comeback? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=19918)

TheUsualSuspect 06-23-09 04:52 PM

Who Deserves A Comeback?

We all know the Mickey Rourke story and now we get to pick who we want to come back. Pick as many people as you want, they can be actors, directors, screen-writers....whoever.

My top 5 are:

5. Jean Claude Van Damme
He had a chance with JCVD, but skipped out on The Expendables...what gives?

4. Cuba Gooding Jr.
What has his career turned into? A big steam pile...that's what.

3. Micheal Keaton
Batman himself is playing second fiddle to everyone. Playing a father character in tons of roles, or doing straight to dvd. Come back Batman.

2. Wesley Snipes
Other then the Blade films, this guy is another Straight to DVD actor as of late. After his tax problems get out of the way I hope to see him as James Brown in the Spike Lee Joint, everyone apparently wants him to do it and that could be his comeback role.

1. Val Kilmer
Another Batman??? One of the most underrated actors, imo. He stole the show in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, yet it was the other guy who gets the comeback. Come on Val.

Used Future 06-23-09 05:01 PM

I'd love to see Rutger Hauer make a comeback, he's been slumming it in direct to dvd rubbish for far too long. Perhaps Tarrantino or Fincher can help him out, I could really see him in one of their movies.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FR87g-YIx2...tger+hauer.JPG

I also strongly second Michael Keaton (even though he's already done the Tarantino bit) the man should do more comedy; he used to be hilarious.

Brother Blue 06-23-09 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 543184)
4. Cuba Gooding Jr.
What has his career turned into? A big steam pile...that's what.

3. Micheal Keaton
Batman himself is playing second fiddle to everyone. Playing a father character in tons of roles, or doing straight to dvd. Come back Batman.

1. Val Kilmer
Another Batman??? One of the most underrated actors, imo. He stole the show in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, yet it was the other guy who gets the comeback. Come on Val.
Originally Posted by Used Future (Post 543189)
I'd love to see Rutger Hauer make a comeback, he's been slumming it in direct to dvd rubbish for far too long. Perhaps Tarrantino or Fincher can help him out, I could really see him in one of their movies.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FR87g-YIx2...tger+hauer.JPG

I also strongly second Michael Keaton (even though he's already done the Tarantino bit) the man should do more comedy; he used to be hilarious.
Definitely agree with these choices. They're all promising actors who have made pretty bad choices after "making it big" but deserve another chance to prove themselves as actors.

I've never really been a fan of Van Damme or Snipes. Although I have heard great things about JCVD so maybe my opinion will change after I see that.

FILMFREAK087 06-23-09 05:38 PM

Re: Who Deserves A Comeback.

Anna Chlumsky

http://www.sugarslam.com/wp-content/...achlumsky1.jpg

regnif 06-23-09 06:04 PM

SEAN CONNERY all the way, and MICHAEL KEATON...i would go as far as saying RALPH MACCHIO as well..even though he has made a couple of movies the last few years but he really needs a major hollywood role offer. I would love to see what kind of an actor he is nowdays..Really underrated as an actor

MovieMan8877445 06-23-09 06:07 PM

Sean Connery has retired.

regnif 06-23-09 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMan8877445 (Post 543215)
Sean Connery has retired.

I thought i had read that somewhere, but i refused to believe that it was true...sure he is close to 80 but i think he still has stuff to offer...:(:bawling:

honeykid 06-23-09 09:07 PM

Indeed he does... A left and a right mostly. :mad:

Pyro Tramp 06-23-09 09:16 PM

Michael Biehn.

TONGO 06-23-09 10:01 PM

Great thread idea! The first actor that came to my miond was Patrick Swayze, but I just hope he bounces back and lives.

Laurence Fishburn. CSI my ass! He should have been in alot more mainstream stuff especially after Matrix. Hes a black shakespearian actor FFS what are they looking for?!

Gary Sinise - Another CSI my ass! I see no reason whatsoever why he wasnt getting steady work.

Harrison Ford - I know he's older but his career took a nosedive. He has what it takes to be in the upper tier of hollywood similar to Connerys successful golden years or Eastwood.

Sally Field - The most underrated actress even though shes taken gold. Always incredible.

Burt Reynolds - LOL! Why not!? Burt was the man! Id love to see him in a great swan song film.

Stevan Seagal - Hey if he unjerked himself, and got in shape Id see one of his flicks. One of the deadliest martial artists ever in movies. One of them.

SoulInside 06-24-09 06:14 AM

First of all: Most of these Actors are still the biz, earning more money than the rest of us. Second: I fullquote Usual Suspects Top Five (except Val Kilmer) - but add some of my own thoughts:

5. Jean Claude Van Damme

"JCVD" was outstanding, this underestimated guy can really act.
Hope he will overcome his drug addiction.

4. Cuba Gooding Jr.

"Shadowboxer" show me that he has reached his personal limits as an actor - but maybe he prove me wrong some day.

3. Micheal Keaton

His performance in "Desperate Measures" kicks ass. Good actor.

2. Wesley Snipes

It seems, like he earn a lot money with the direct-to-DVD stuff.
But I want to see him on the big screen again - in storydriven movies like "Nippon Connection".

My personal suggestions:

Edward Furlong - Little John Connor deserves much better than playing small parts in irrelevant B-Movies.

MacCaulay Culkin - Little Kevin, too.

Lindsay Lohan - Uhm, I like her as an actress. She don`t even have to take her clothes off.

Alison Doodey - Cause she`s hot.

Leslie Mann - Actually she get her roles - but I like to see her as the main protagonist.

no1mccoy 06-24-09 10:15 AM

I have missed Tom Cruise!

Iroquois 06-24-09 11:09 AM

Chow Yun-Fat.

The guy was in the frickin' Dragonball movie. I think he and John Woo should try teaming up for one last film together - I'd like to see the two explore the whole idea of getting old and irrelevant in a heroic bloodshed film.

jokerboy1991 06-27-09 04:09 AM

Wesley Snipes (leading)
Tom Cruise (return)
MacCaulay Culkin (return & leading)
Jamie Lee Curtis (return & leading)
Kevin Bacon (leading, maybe return)
Bill Murray (return, mostly leading)
Tommy Lee Jones (leading)
Jack Black (lead more, something like a zoolander but with jack black)
Michael Caine (leading)
Brandon Routh (return)
Daniel Craig (return, do more films - i FEEL like he has only done like 2 movies a year :shrug:)
Channing Tatum (leading)
Chris Tucker (leading)
Kal Penn (leading)
John Cho (leading)
Danny McBride (leading)
John Goodman (definitely return, definitely some leading roles)
Jackie Earle Haley (leading)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan (leading)
Billy Crudup (leading)
Malin Akerman (leading)
Matthew Goode (leading)
Patrick Wilson (leading)
Ewan McGregor (sorta returning, definitely definitely definitely leading)

Iroquois 06-27-09 02:23 PM

Jokerboy- getting a leading role does not necessarily mean the same thing as making a comeback. A lot of the choices you've named have reasonably solid acting careers behind them - just because they haven't been in a leading role (or rather, been in a noticeable leading role) doesn't mean they "deserve a comeback".

Plus, the comment about Daniel Craig doing "only" 2 films a year? Somehow this doesn't strike me as a bad thing. Look at Daniel Day-Lewis, for instance. It's quality, not quantity.

Also, interesting that there are a couple of choices that you don't want to be "leading" - Tom Cruise, for example.

I'll leave it at that for now.

rufnek 07-02-09 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by no1mccoy (Post 543388)
I have missed Tom Cruise!
The only time I'd ever say, "Damn, I missed Tom Cruise" would be just before firing a second round. I cannot stand the guy! :)

Fiscal 06-29-10 05:33 PM

Val Kilmer and Harrison Ford would be on the top of my list.

yaya#2 06-29-10 05:43 PM

Re: Who Deserves A Comeback?

Haley Joel Osment was great in Pay It Forward. He is my vote for a comeback.

yaya#2 06-29-10 10:48 PM

Re: Who Deserves A Comeback?

Another actor who made a huge name for himself and recently kinda fell of the cinema screen is Elijah Wood(Mr. Frodo).

timetravelfan 06-29-10 11:16 PM

As of today, I think Cybill Shepherd, Ryan O'Neal, Jim Caviezel and Patrick Stewart deserve comebacks.