Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog Star Man's Film Collection (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24380)

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 04:37 AM

Dog Star Man's Film Collection

I'm going to start off by introducing my Criterions. More to come later I promise you.

I do have a "By Brakhage: An Anthology", (Volume 1), but I rented it out to a family member. I'll post the non-criterions probably later in the morning. Though for now, cheers good mates!

wintertriangles 12-08-10 10:54 AM

Re: Dog Star Man's Film Collection

/bows

I do have a lot of those but needless to say you're better than I.

I found it funny that I have Hard Boiled and you have The Killer, I've never seen anyone with both.

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 10:55 AM

This is the (sorted) "Standard Collection":

Then I have my educational documentaries, (copied discs), History, Philosophy and Film:

And then "Films That Can't Quite Fit In The Shelves":

That's all folks! Enjoy, and feel free to make comments!

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 700485)
/bows

I do have a lot of those but needless to say you're better than I.

I found it funny that I have Hard Boiled and you have The Killer, I've never seen anyone with both.
I once tried to buy Hard Boiled, but I was sent an illegit copy and sent it back to the person who tried to pass it off to me. Suffice to say after a little rough talk I got my money back. But thanks for the comment my good chum!

linespalsy 12-08-10 11:13 AM

I like how you have the Keaton box set as well as all of Dragonball. A man after my own heart. :up:

I've read the manga of Golden Boy, but I can't say it made me want to check out the anime.

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 700492)
I like how you have the Keaton box set as well as all of Dragonball. A man after my own heart.

I've read the manga of Golden Boy, but I can't say it made me want to check out the anime.
Yeah, "Dragonball" was entertaining at least the first half... then came "Z"... that was also entertaining... but in a very, very, bad way. Notice I also have "Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and "The Legend of Zelda" cartoons. I put those on as precursor to "Bad Movie Nights". It's an endurance test, because it tortures us so. Sometimes we can lampoon it... other times we succumb. My friends and myself are masochists in that regard.

As for the anime to Golden Boy. I would highly recommend it. Especially the English dub. The VO for Kintaro Oe in that version makes that show.

linespalsy 12-08-10 11:38 AM

Yeah, DBZ is an endurance test in more ways than one. Entire episodes of "must. do. one. more. push-up." and "only 5 more minutes until the destruction of planet Namek." Still, Can't knock the Ginyu Force or "Mr. Satan"

http://tnation.t-nation.com/forum_im...nyu_force4.jpghttp://www.myfavoritegames.com/drago.../H/Hercule.gif

Very impressive collection. :yup: I also like how many silents you have.

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 700504)
Yeah, DBZ is an endurance test in more ways than one. Entire episodes of "must. do. one. more. push-up." and "only 5 more minutes until the destruction of planet Namek." Still, Can't knock the Ginyu Force or "Mr. Satan"

http://tnation.t-nation.com/forum_im...nyu_force4.jpghttp://www.myfavoritegames.com/drago.../H/Hercule.gif

Very impressive collection. :yup: I also like how many silents you have.
I clocked the namek disaster. Freeza says "five minutes"... TEN FRIGGEN EPISODES LATER FROM INITIAL COUNTDOWN DOES THAT FRIGGEN THING END. Ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for the input my good man!

Fiscal 12-08-10 12:04 PM

Nice! What do you use for storage, and where did you get it? I like it!

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fiscal (Post 700509)
Nice! What do you use for storage, and where did you get it? I like it!
Just some standard DVD/CD cases. I found them at Fry's Electronics.

wintertriangles 12-08-10 12:07 PM

All those box sets and you only have a single Eraserhead dvd case UNBELIEVABLE.

Questions:

Do you want more Argento or are you satisfied with Suspiria alone?

Why isn't The Killing with the other Kubricks?

Why don't you have the 1st and 3rd films of the Vengeance trilogy?
Just some standard DVD/CD cases. I found them at Fry's Electronics.
I'm in desperate need of some cases so thanks for a heads up.

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 700511)
All those box sets and you only have a single Eraserhead dvd case UNBELIEVABLE.
I've been meaning to update to the Lynch collection. I know, it's pretty stupid on my behalf.

Do you want more Argento or are you satisfied with Suspiria alone?
Look carefully, grasshopper, and you shall see I have a set of five films by Dario Argento. ;)

Why isn't The Killing with the other Kubricks?
Mostly because it wasn't part of the box set. I have The Departed as the same shin-dig. Two Scorsese box sets with The Departed located elsewhere.

Why don't you have the 1st and 3rd films of the Vengeance trilogy?
I haven't seen the other two yet myself. I'm ashamed to admit. But I do love Oldboy

I'm in desperate need of some cases so thanks for a heads up.
No problemo my cinematic compadre!

wintertriangles 12-08-10 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dog Star Man (Post 700521)
I haven't seen the other two yet myself. I'm ashamed to admit. But I do love Oldboy
All 3 are equally mesmerizing, I strongly strongly strongly strongly suggest finding the others, or follow your own suite and get the boxset of all 3 with 5 discs of bonus features

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 700522)
All 3 are equally mesmerizing, I strongly strongly strongly strongly suggest finding the others, or follow your own suite and get the boxset of all 3 with 5 discs of bonus features
That does sound very tempting. I think I'll give them a queue on netflix, then go from there. I'm curious as to your Criterion Collection now?

wintertriangles 12-08-10 01:44 PM

I almost want to go the route of pictures just because of this...we'll see.

I have a thread of my collection but haven't updated it in a couple months. I can tell you I own a mere 61 criterions, with 374 others on my wishlist (especially By Brakhage now). I'll probably get pics added to my list soon.

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 700524)
I almost want to go the route of pictures just because of this...we'll see.

I have a thread of my collection but haven't updated it in a couple months. I can tell you I own a mere 61 criterions, with 374 others on my wishlist (especially By Brackage now). I'll probably get pics added to my list soon.
Either way you update/show is fine by me. :D

I have a total of 277 Criterions, 3 (All) of Janus Children's Classics, and 15 Eclipse Series DVD's. But yes, Brakhage is good... very good... great... very great... and watching his films on the Blu-Ray set they have now just makes it so much better. It was my first Criterion Blu-Ray purchase. Have you ever been exposed to Brakhage before? I did a review of his Dog Star Man on my reviews page?

wintertriangles 12-08-10 01:55 PM

I'll check out the review, no I haven't seen his work. I don't even know when I'll find the time to get around to the Eclipse Series, though Eric Rohmer's box looks wonderful. Never even heard of Children's Classics...where did you get the money for 277 sir???

Also, surprised there's no Cronos, I got mine in the mail yesterday

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 700526)
I'll check out the review, no I haven't seen his work. I don't even know when I'll find the time to get around to the Eclipse Series, though Eric Rohmer's box looks wonderful. Never even heard of Children's Classics...where did you get the money for 277 sir???

Also, surprised there's no Cronos, I got mine in the mail yesterday
Brakhage is an acquired taste forewarned. But yes, the Rohmer set is indeed wonderful. They even include the Moral Tales Book which he himself wrote to go along with it. The Janus Children's Classics were released a few years ago. Films like White Mane, The Red Balloon, and Paddle to the Sea. All great films themselves because if they aren't silent films, they play out like silent films. As for the moo-la question. I've been building my collection for many, many, years. I even have the White-Ring, Nimbus, Salo. All the money I obtain divvies three ways; food, films, film equipment (for my own films). As for Chronos, it's in my sights. :D

Harry Lime 12-08-10 02:29 PM

Excellent collection. Am I seeing this right, you have three versions of The 400 Blows?

Dog Star Man 12-08-10 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 700531)
Excellent collection. Am I seeing this right, you have three versions of The 400 Blows?
You would be seeing right, sir! :)