Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Columbia to remake 'Total Recall' (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18798)

n3wt 02-26-09 01:51 PM

Columbia to remake 'Total Recall'

http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/09/04...arzenegger.jpg

Columbia Pictures is in final negotiations to remake 1990 action movie Total Recall, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Neal H. Moritz and Original Films are developing the project, which would reprise the Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi hit.
The original Paul Verhoeven-directed film was based on Philip K. Dick's short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale. Schwarzenegger played Doug Quaid, an average Joe who suffered from recurring dreams about Mars. After having memories implanted by a company called Rekall Inc., Quaid believes he is a secret agent and ends up fighting a Martian colony lead by a tyrannical leader.
It grossed $261 million at the box office.

Yoda 02-26-09 01:56 PM

Re: Columbia to remake 'Total Recall'

Torn on this one. On one hand, I love Total Recall. I think its a fun, interesting, creative sci-fi film, and I think Ah-nuld was perfect for it. On the other hand, it still holds up reasonably well, so I don't know if a remake is entirely necessary. some of the special effects are a little dated, but not so much that they take away from the enjoyment of the film.

Either way, I'm sure I'd see it, if only to see if they kick things up a notch and go with four breasts instead of three for the Martian prostitute.

Sir Toose 02-26-09 01:58 PM

Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars... Get get your @ss to Mars...

Sedai 02-26-09 02:01 PM

Ah, another MoFo applying the breast-o-meter to remakes. This is the only reason I would even consider seeing the Friday the 13th remake. I hear they reach critical mass on the breast count.

mark f 02-26-09 02:01 PM

I'd just watch the original. I don't get the point at all of "remaking" it. Oh yeah... money.

Used Future 02-26-09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 504625)
I'd just watch the original. I don't get the point at all of "remaking" it. Oh yeah... money.
Hey give those guys at Columbia a break, they've all...got five kids to feed!

nebbit 02-26-09 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 504625)
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif

spudracer 02-26-09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 504621)
Either way, I'm sure I'd see it, if only to see if they kick things up a notch and go with four breasts instead of three for the Martian prostitute.
Heck, I was getting ready to pose the question, "How many of you, when you saw the title of the thread, immediately thought of the 3-breasted prostitute?"

Don't really see a need for a remake, but ok.

mikeython1 02-26-09 06:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY

You cant beat this! Honestly! :cool:

n3wt 02-26-09 07:04 PM

I absoulutly love Total Recall its one of the films you grow up watching and you can watch it over and over again. I would like to see what they can pull out for the remake, hopefully it will wont ruin the original but it has happened before so many times.

Harry Lime 02-27-09 04:49 PM

Hollywood can really suck sometimes.

honeykid 01-12-11 12:41 AM

Colin Farrell has been confirmed for the role of Doug Quaid (the Arnie role) in the Total Recall remake. Neal Moritz is producing and has said that Colin will play the lead, with Len Wiseman directing. Shooting is set to begin on May 15th in Toronto for a 2012 release.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-2182328.html

genesis_pig 01-12-11 01:31 AM

Atleast I am glad it's not Will Smith or Dwayne Johnson.

Maybe this is more faithful to the original material.

Gunny 01-12-11 03:57 AM

I don't understand why you would want to remake Total Recall. The original was excellent and not outdated at all.

And I'm not a Collin Farrel fan.

Yoda 01-12-11 10:08 AM

I love the original, but it's definitely a little outdated. Anyway, I still think a remake would be unnecessary, unless it's more of a "reimagining." That, actually, could work very well. The world in Total Recall is/was rich enough to support other, similarly-themed stories. A shot-for-shot remake wouldn't be worthwhile given the progress of special effects alone, but an altered story? That's more promising.

Anyway, odds are I'm seeing this, whatever its merits.

spudracer 01-12-11 10:31 AM

On the other hand, it still holds up reasonably well, so I don't know if a remake is entirely necessary. some of the special effects are a little dated, but not so much that they take away from the enjoyment of the film.
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 707689)
I love the original, but it's definitely a little outdated.
I sense some conflictions in your mind, yes. :)

I love the original, and don't see a need for a remake. However, this IS Sony we're talking about. They optioned for a reboot of Spider-Man just 3 years after the last film hit the screen. Clearly, they have no originality left in that studio.

Yoda 01-12-11 10:41 AM

Just a bit. In both I think the effects are outdated, I just don't think that hurts the film much at this point, which is why I still don't think prettying it up would be reason enough to remake it. The only worthwhile remake wouldn't, very strictly speaking, be a remake.

Not that I wouldn't be curious either way. I imagine a new version would/could be a sight to behold, if nothing else.

spudracer 01-12-11 11:57 AM

Well, obviously the reason to remake it, would be to make it flashy and IN 3-D. Because who wouldn't want to see eyes popping out of someone's head or a three-breasted prostitute in three dimensions?

This new notion to remake or reboot franchises was somewhat acceptable for films from, say 50 years ago, but there seems to be no end to movies being remade. It's getting out of hand.

chet seven 01-17-11 01:39 AM

is nothing sacred?

what next!? robocop remake?!...checks imdb :facepalm:

Plainview 01-17-11 01:43 AM

Give those people some air.

genesis_pig 01-17-11 08:36 AM

I am actually very eager for the RoboCop remake..
Aronofsky has been pitching for it for so long.. I hope he gets the opportunity.

Also, just read a while ago that Aronofsky had written a Batman screenplay before Batman Begins came out.. some of the ideas did get carried onto Batman Begins.
He is planning to release his screenplay as a comic now.

If they really have to do the remakes, they have to start getting some really talented directors/screenwriter who can deliver a good storyline & not just a good looking film.

Films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers & Star Trek are perfect examples how a remake can keep the original sacred & deliver a good movie for the newer generation.

honeykid 01-17-11 03:49 PM

I'm with GP on the Robocop remake, so long as someone like Aronofsky is behind, not just the camera, but the project. My worry with Robocop now is that it's been knocking around for so long, and that's not usually a good sign.

chet seven 01-17-11 07:44 PM

Oh I'd totally trust Aronofsky if he is indeed involved with the remake (? imdb says it is 'Followed by', whereas Total Recall falls under the 'Remade as'). I'd rather see him do an original idea, though him taking over The Wolverine is some of the best news I've heard in awhile....so these remakes could be cool i'm just shocked to hear it I guess.

Colin Farrel as Quaid? atleast it's not Adrien Brody...

Monkeypunch 01-18-11 12:57 AM

I'll stick to the Arnold Total Recall, thank you. It was so insane and over the top that there is NO WAY the new one can compete (Not even with a four breasted prostitute). Paul Verhoeven's directorial overkill just makes that movie memorable.

yogstar88 01-18-11 08:20 AM

Torn on this one. On one hand, I love Total Recall. I think its a fun, interesting, creative sci-fi film, and I think Ah-nuld was perfect for it. On the other hand, it still holds up reasonably well, so I don't know if a remake is entirely necessary. some of the special effects are a little dated, but not so much that they take away from the enjoyment of the film.

yeah, bring it on, I think they should make another one. With the availability of much much better technology today, I think it would be made differently and be a nice experience.
@Yoda: like the comment about 4 breasted martian prostitutes, meanin if nothing works for the new movie atleast this is taking things up a notch for sure :D:D:D

ElmoLovesYou 03-15-12 04:15 PM

Release Date: August 3, 2012
Director: Len Wiseman
Screenwriter: Kurt Wimmer, Mark Bomback
Starring: Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston, John Cho, Bill Nighy
Official Website: TotalRecall-movie.com
Teaser Trailer: Here

Nausicaä 03-15-12 04:19 PM

^ That short teaser trailer in that link doesn't make it look anything special.

ElmoLovesYou 03-15-12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 798172)
^ That short teaser trailer in that link doesn't make it look anything special.
That's the only footage available at the moment. It's a "teaser trailer", which was presented to people at ComicCon.

Deadite 03-15-12 10:28 PM

I'll watch it for sure but I suspect it will be pretty generic, especially compared to the weird and goofy yet fun style of the original.

honeykid 03-15-12 11:18 PM

A remake starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, and Bill Nighy? It really is going to have to be something to win me over.

ElmoLovesYou 03-16-12 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 798246)
A remake starring Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, and Bill Nighy...
I'm sold

TheUsualSuspect 03-27-12 03:08 PM

Another Inceptin horn themed trailer....err, teaser for a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4Z-E-Mxbo

genesis_pig 03-27-12 05:30 PM

There has been a lot of these teasers to trailers lately.

akatemple 03-27-12 06:10 PM

They have been doing Teasers for as long as I can remember, but when did they start the teasers for trailers, that is just weird.

ElmoLovesYou 03-27-12 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 800571)
There has been a lot of these teasers to trailers lately.
I know right, they're exciting as watching the advertisements before youtube videos. :sick:

Cenydd Ros 04-01-12 09:36 PM

The full trailer is now available here:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/s...s/totalrecall/

Looks very Blade Runner-esque.

TheUsualSuspect 04-02-12 02:04 AM

The end reminded me of A Scanner Darkly, which is another Philip K Dick adapted film.

ElmoLovesYou 04-02-12 02:49 AM

Nausicaä 04-02-12 07:21 AM

Where have I seen that before...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515lfBg8BvL.jpg

TylerDurden99 04-02-12 08:35 AM

Not excited for this. Some films should be left alone.

genesis_pig 04-02-12 11:06 AM

In a way, that wasn't all that bad as I was hoping it would be, still don't get the need for throwing in the stormtroopers, but they help for decent action cause of their sheer expendability.

The Prestige 04-02-12 12:17 PM

Doubt i'll be seeing this one. I like the original. Not a big fan or anything, but I can't see myself watching this unless it pops up on telly or something.

bouncingbrick 04-02-12 12:51 PM

This looks like the most generic, derivative piece of crap...

It doesn't even look like they changed anything from the original movie, except maybe he doesn't go to Mars. Or does he?

Color me uninterested.

TheUsualSuspect 04-02-12 02:22 PM

He doesn't, from what I've heard.

Nausicaä 04-02-12 02:30 PM

It's all set on Earth.

genesis_pig 04-02-12 02:45 PM

Maybe that's the twist ending, Mars is the New Earth & they need to undo what Arnie did in the previous movie, so they need to suck the atmosphere back in those cylinders & restore mars to its original state.

ElmoLovesYou 04-02-12 08:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-18LuLDEQ

akatemple 04-02-12 09:04 PM

It looks like it will be a great Sci-Fi movie but a SH*T remake of Total Recall.

Deadite 04-03-12 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by akatemple (Post 801966)
It looks like it will be a great Sci-Fi movie but a SH*T remake of Total Recall.
Yep.

This new version looks like it'll be a pretty decent action movie, well-polished but ultimately hollow. Based on the trailer it lacks the quirkiness and humor that gave the original TR so much personality.

I'll still catch it sooner or later, but I'm unimpressed.

ElmoLovesYou 04-03-12 04:28 AM

You're disliking it now. But when you catch it you're probably going to say to yourself, "Holy crap, that was awesome!"

Deadite 04-03-12 07:12 AM

Probably not. More likely, I'll say, "This is a pretty decent action movie, well-polished but ultimately hollow and lacking the quirkiness and humor that gave the original TR so much personality."

bouncingbrick 04-03-12 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ElmoLovesYou (Post 801990)
You're disliking it now. But when you catch it you're probably going to say to yourself, "Holy crap, that was awesome!"
I can almost assure you that I won't. To be honest, I cannot remember the last time a movie surprised me after having seen the trailer. If you've watched as many films and trailers as I have you know what to expect.

This film looks like utter trash. Especially since I'm a huge fan of science fiction novels. Try reading really great authors like Greg Bear or Dan Simmons then watching a science fiction film. It's like comparing Shakespeare to Spongebob Squarepants.

The Rodent 04-03-12 08:00 PM

What gets me is that they've taken a sci-fi movie with a dodgy actor with a dodgy accent and remade it with another dodgy actor with a dodgy accent.

ElmoLovesYou 04-04-12 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 802104)
What gets me is that they've taken a sci-fi movie with a dodgy actor with a dodgy accent and remade it with another dodgy actor with a dodgy accent.
Yet Colin Farrell can ditch his accent, and you can understand what he is saying whether or not he is using it.

ElmoLovesYou 04-04-12 03:56 PM

Watch Total Recall trailer with director's revealing commentary

The awesome trailer for Len Wiseman's upcoming Total Recall reboot already has us salivating, and now Wiseman has dished a few details in a nifty commentary clip breaking down some of the action.

The director sat down with MTV.com to talk about all the threads and scenes being showcased in the first trailer.

Wiseman said he wanted to keep one of the most iconic scenes from the 1990 original, the Rekall scene where Colin Farrell's Doug Quaid (the character portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the '90s version) has his memories mucked with.

"[We] set it up in a much more opium-den, slightly more sketchy version of this whole process," he said. "I wanted to have a little bit more danger. At its core, it's screwing with your brain chemistry. That cannot be a widely accepted thing."

As for that Jason Bourne-style fight scene against those generic-looking stormtroopers? Wiseman said he's wanted to shoot one of those for years, and Total Recall finally gave him the chance.

"I needed to have the audience feel what Quaid was feeling. I wanted to set up a moment where you aren't given a chance to take a breath until it's over, just like he would," he said. "It was a very complicated shoot where Colin had to do the fight 22 times, actually, to get the thing right with all of the cameras. The cameras would move at 35 miles an hour that were on computer systems. It took two days. It was immensely fun, but it is 100 percent practical."

You can watch the commentary trailer here.
Source: Blastr.com

genesis_pig 04-04-12 05:02 PM

First we get teasers for Trailers, now commentary with trailers..
what's next?

Man, will we have to pay to watch trailers soon?

bouncingbrick 04-04-12 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 802312)
First we get teasers for Trailers, now commentary with trailers..
what's next?

Man, will we have to pay to watch trailers soon?
Anger rising...rising...rising...:furious:

I hate you, Hollywood. You are slowly killing the only thing that distracts me from my doldrums.

honeykid 04-06-12 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick (Post 802315)
Anger rising...rising...rising...:furious:

I hate you, Hollywood. You are slowly killing the only thing that distracts me from my doldrums.
I love this post. I feel like the Emperor watching Vader come over to the dark side. :D

The Rodent 04-08-12 01:23 PM

Recently seen another trailer for this on a 10 minute short programme called Inside Hollywood.

To be honest, this looks to be as bad as Spielberg's take on remaking War Of The Worlds.

The Prestige 04-08-12 04:55 PM

I bet it won't even be that entertaining, either. Wiseman is a **** director. Michael Bay gets a lot of stick, but at least he has made a few entertaining mindless action films. Wiseman can't even get that right. The Underworld films are embarrassing, and Die Hard 4.0 is as weak an action film as they come. Theres no charm to his films AT ALL, just a director for hire is who he is. Colin Farrell and Beckinsale being the main protagonists don't help the film either.

Wish they'd got Duncan Jones or somebody who directs with soul to take it on.

akatemple 06-28-12 02:40 PM

Yay, three breasted girl in the new trailer. What is this girls name (top picture of course), I know her from other stuff but just can't think of it.

http://smhttp.13422.nexcesscdn.net/8...l_ls_62712.jpg
http://smhttp.13422.nexcesscdn.net/8...oobed-Lady.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJHOewHAbE

Nausicaä 06-28-12 02:49 PM

But PG-13 friendly bra covered three breast woman from the look of it.

Sedai 06-28-12 02:57 PM

Of course, it totally makes sense to still have the three-breasted girl in the movie! In the original, the girl was a mutant; one of the people the main plot of the film concerned on the red planet itself. Bad safety regulations and poor building materials caused some poor folks to become irradiated and they began to mutate.

In the remake, Mars isn't even in the frickin film! Nah, just yank all that silly stuff, right? F those mutants! Wiseman, the shite director they have helming this turd, decided in his clearly infinite wisdom (dude's a complete jack ass), that he would rather just have the film take place on Earth so he can rip off other, more-earth bound (and infinitely better) science fiction films, like Blade Runner and Minority Report.

So, of course the three breasted girl will be there! Let me guess: some evil corporation (but hey, what other kinds are there, eh Will15??) does some sort of nefarious experiments on prostitutes or Hooter's waitresses or....meh, who cares.

This may be a bit closer to Phil Dick's original story, and I love me some PKD, but the Verhoeven flick is just so fun and over-the-top....

"Consider that a divorce!"

The Rodent 06-28-12 03:04 PM

He should have given her four ****.

planet news 06-28-12 06:30 PM

Looks terrible.

Justin 06-28-12 07:33 PM

Nothing will ever beat this:

http://www.flickscribe.com/wp-conten...tal-recall.jpg

gandalf26 06-28-12 07:47 PM

Lol just watching this on ITV2 in the UK now.

What do you guys think? Is it all real? or is Quaid/Hauser really just getting a memory implant from Total Recall?

I know that this remake will totally suck ass.

Justin 06-28-12 07:58 PM

I think Christopher Nolan planted it inside your head so you would think that Quad/Hauser had a memory implant, when it's all actually one big cover-up.

INCEPTION.

The Rodent 06-28-12 08:20 PM

The movie doesn't actually exist. The government planted it in the populous' minds while we were all asleep, just to see if it can be done.

akatemple 06-29-12 12:51 AM

But what's the girls name in the top picture from the remake, I know that I know her from something but my brain is being a bastard and I can't think of it.

Nausicaä 06-29-12 01:03 PM

^ She is apparently called Kaitlyn Leeb. And boys, according to the director, the cinema release gets the covered breasts, and the dvd/blu-ray uncut/director's cut will get the full view, filmed a few versions of the scene apparently... :rolleyes:

akatemple 06-29-12 02:51 PM

I looked up Kaitlyn Leeb on IMDB and I have not seen any of her movies so I must recognize her from one of her modeling things, that's so weird cause I swear I just saw her in something.

Used Future 07-04-12 10:51 AM

Unlike some here I've rated and liked Colin Farrell since Intermission. Not a dodgy actor at all in my humble opinion. He's just taken a lot of underwhelming roles of late.

This looks like yet another toothless, bloodless re-make, and I'll be staying at home watching Arnold sever Michael Ironside's arms in an elevator shaft.

Nausicaä 08-04-12 01:04 PM

I liked this from one review of the remake:

Total Recall's a trifling mess, as superfluous as a third breast.

DexterRiley 08-04-12 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 833616)
I liked this from one review of the remake:

Total Recall's a trifling mess, as superfluous as a third breast.
Im a fan then.

:D

Kidding aside, the trailers make it looks like a fan-made mash-up of the original, the set design of the 5th Element and the visual style of Minority Report.

Its always a little weird to have dialogue lifted word for word, as was the case for me (to a lesser extent granted)with the recent Clash of the Titans reboot.

Especially because its Ahhnuld, so when Farrel utters the line, i find myself instantly rekalling (see what i did there :D ) Schwarzaneggers unique delivery.

The Rodent 08-04-12 03:24 PM

Big Arn: My neem is nut Qoowade!

Little Col: Moi neeyam iz not Queeyad sow it izzunt! Tappa tha marnunt-ya! Hiddly hur!

Deadite 08-04-12 07:45 PM

Two weeks. Twooooo weeeeeks......

The Rodent 08-07-12 05:10 PM

The Total Recall remake has been branded by numerous critics as humourless, lacking in originality and coherant plot, bland, embarrasing to watch, badly acted by Farrell, lacking in substance and lacking in imagination, completey witless and shouldn't be called Total Recall as it has nothing to do with the book or the original movie.
It's currently ranked at 30% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Well worth the hundreds of million of Dollars the Studios pumped into it then.

The Rodent 08-07-12 05:19 PM

Taken from newraleigh.com

Let’s talk about the good first, as the bad is plentiful. This is Wiseman’s most technically sound film to date, bringing to the screen a gorgeously dirty future that looks equal parts Blade Runner and Tron Legacy.
He stays far away from his usual Underworld gimmicks (the 3-D, the Matrix “bullet time” effects), and seems to realize that he is crafting something…special may be too strong a word, as is important; I suppose what I’m trying to say is, when Columbia Pictures gave him a $200 million dollar budget, he probably realized this wouldn’t be his own private little disposable playground, as the Underworld series has quickly devolved into.

The actors are almost all universally bad here. Sure, John Cho (the Harold & Kumar series) appears for a few minutes as the technician at Rekall, and Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) appears to be having fun as Cohaagen, the evil ruler of the UF. After that we are left with Biel, who hasn’t appeared in a starring role in a major release in years, playing a top notch freedom fighter that seemingly can’t untie a knot without screaming for Quaid’s help and suffering a concussion.

Beckinsale plays her usual role of “beautiful woman in leather who kicks everyone’s ass for 2 hours”, chewing the scenery while her director husband shouts words of encouragement from behind the camera.

The huge problem here is Farrell. Yes, he was great in In Bruges, but how much goodwill can you continue to give a guy for one role? What we are given here is the Farrell of SWAT, a star in desperate need of charismatic support around him at all times.
Say what you will for Schwarzenegger, but at least he was fun to watch in the original. Farrell is the definition of vanilla acting; he won’t put in a horrible performance, but at certain points you are begging him to breathe life into the material. Crack a smile, develop a facial tic, appear to actually be bothered by the events going on around you, anything!

The only thing memorable about this film is that they managed to include a 3-breasted alien nude scene in a PG-13 film, giving geeky teens without the internet something to develop puberty to once this hits DVD. Other than that, it is a truly forgettable experience.

Deadite 08-07-12 08:33 PM

They should've got Will Ferrell instead.

Nausicaä 08-08-12 03:29 PM

^ I'd watch that! :yup: