Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Similarities in Disney movies (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=19455)

n3wt 05-07-09 08:39 PM

Similarities in Disney movies

I have just stumbled upon this video and cannot believe the simaliraties in Disney Movies but I find it quite cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIkUgG3h6c

mark f 05-07-09 09:38 PM

Re: Simaliraties in Disney movies

Disney animation went through a really rough period during the 1960s and 1970s. Those were definitely the weakest flicks they ever made, probably everything after The Jungle Book (1967) through The Rescuers (1977), and many of those flicks (The Aristocats, Robin Hood too) were just rehashes with little creativity (Disney died in 1966). You can't really call it rotoscoping, but it's a lot more than similarities because it IS exactly the same choreography undoubtedly aided and abetted by non-human hand. It's a bit troubling to see Beauty and the Beast lift the dancing from Sleeping Beauty, but Sleeping Beauty lifted from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, so I can accept that easier, I guess.

WSSlover 05-07-09 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 528631)
I have just stumbled upon this video and cannot believe the simaliraties in Disney Movies but I find it quite cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIkUgG3h6c
I don't know about the newer, more up-to-date Disney movies, since I haven't watched any of them, but I do agree that there's a definite similarity in most, if not all of the older Disney movies, particularly the animated ones.

mark f 05-07-09 09:47 PM

Did you watch the video?

TheUsualSuspect 05-07-09 09:47 PM

Watch Kimba the White Lion.

WSSlover 05-07-09 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 528657)
Did you watch the video?
Yup. I did watch the video, and I formed my opinion from having watched a number of the older Walt Disney movies.

TheUsualSuspect 05-07-09 10:08 PM

Similarities....it's the same animation cells pretty much drawn over with different characters.

MovieCookie 05-08-09 09:26 AM

Freaky. Probably had the same animators working on several of the movies, though I know "snow white" is quite old and some are a lot more recent. Fun to watch though, thanks for posting!

spudracer 05-08-09 09:36 AM

I'll need to take a look at this video when I get home tonight. Reading through some of these posts, my interest is peaked.

n3wt 05-08-09 10:59 AM

I thought it was very cool I have known for a long time about the dance at the end of Cinderella and Beauty and the beast were similar I didnt really know how similar they were.

Yoda 05-08-09 11:34 AM

Re: Similarities in Disney movies

I saw this video a few weeks ago, and yeah, pretty freaky...and, as TUS implied, it's definitely a lot more than a simple similarity. It's a direct, wholesale lift in some cases.

meatwadsprite 05-08-09 11:57 AM

How many of their animated movies are musicals ?

Iroquois 05-08-09 11:59 AM

All of them?

mark f 05-08-09 12:11 PM

The Rescuers Down Under and The Black Cauldron aren't musicals. Fantasia is wall-to-wall classical music but the only song is "Ave Maria" which an off-screen voice sings.

meatwadsprite 05-08-09 12:16 PM

Yeah Rescuers came to mind , never seen The Black Cauldron.

n3wt 05-08-09 01:18 PM

There is a new 2d Disney movie coming out called The Princess And The Frog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s

Maybe I should put this in the Upcoming movie section, but I havent checked if there is a thread on the movie yet.

WSSlover 05-08-09 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 528818)
I thought it was very cool I have known for a long time about the dance at the end of Cinderella and Beauty and the beast were similar I didnt really know how similar they were.
True, but regarding similarities between Disney movies, I'm inclined to believe that Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have some even more striking similarities between them, not only regarding the dancing in the end, but the very story behind both of these particular Disney movies runs along the same lines: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, both beautiful princesses, born to beautiful queens, and jealous, evil hags casting spells on the princesses, causing them to fall into a deep sleep, from which they're both awakened by handsome princes who're attracted to their beauty even in sleep, and marrying them.

n3wt 05-08-09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by WSSlover (Post 528913)
True, but regarding similarities between Disney movies, I'm inclined to believe that Sleeping Beauty and Snow White have some even more striking similarities between them, not only regarding the dancing in the end, but the very story behind both of these particular Disney movies runs along the same lines: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, both beautiful princesses, born to beautiful queens, and jealous, evil hags casting spells on the princesses, causing them to fall into a deep sleep, from which they're both awakened by handsome princes who're attracted to their beauty even in sleep, and marrying them.
Yes I know what you are saying but what my point was that I have always noticed a very similar dance routine at the end of Cinderella and Beauty and the beast, and if you look in the video I posted you can see that they are infact the same dance, just like everything else in the video has be re-used.

My point was that I spotted the similarity a few years back when I saw both movies again.

honeykid 05-08-09 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by WSSlover (Post 528913)
Can't really blame Disney for that though can you? That's the story. It's not a Disney original y'know.