Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Those Lame Movie Slogans!! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=646)

OG- 05-16-01 08:14 PM

Anyone else freggin hate those movie slogans on the posters and on the covers of the DVD's and VHS'?!? They are so lame! I've only read one remotely good one.
for example:
American Pie:"There's something about your first piece!"
The Frighteners:"No Rest For the Wicked."(that ones ok)
Army of Darkness:"Trapped in time. Surrounded by Evil. Low on gas"
Duece Bigalow Male Gigilo:"He charges 10 dollars, but he's willing to negotiate."
Mortal Kombat:"Nothing in this world has prepared you for this"
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels:"Bringing shame to criminals everywhere"

How crappy are those?!? They bring shame to good movies. Anyone else hate these things?

OG- 05-16-01 10:09 PM

Oh and Final Destination's:"Death doesn't take no for an answer."

Yoda 05-16-01 10:49 PM

I like most of the ones you listed.

But yeah, even cool movies like X-Men have dumb slogans.

- Protecting Those Who Fear Them.
- We're Not What You Think
- The future is here.

Not terrible, but not the kind of quality you'd expect from a picture with a $70+ million budget! Ironically, X-Men had some good ones as well:

- Join the Evolution.
- The time is coming when all that we are afraid of will be all that can save us.

A lot of movies seem to have this happening -- 10 taglines, 2 or 3 of which are good, 2 of 3 of which suck, and the rest in the middle.

ryanpaige 05-16-01 10:52 PM

My favorite is the one for Sphere.

"Terror Can Fill Any Space" (which sound like an Earl Scheib commercial: "Terror Can Fill Any Space for only $19.99")

OG- 05-16-01 10:58 PM

I like Deuce Bigalow, and teh Frighteners and Army of Darkness, but the rest I dislike. I mean comeon! Lock, Stock deserves something better than that!!

OllieO 05-17-01 05:09 AM

Cobra: Crime is a disease. He's the cure.

Rambo III: The first time was for himself. The second time was for his country. This time it's for his friend.

But you can't deny Highlander's: There can be only one.

bigvalbowski 05-17-01 11:33 AM

Aliens: The Bitch is Back

The Fly: Be Afraid Be Very Afraid

Independence Day: Earth. It was nice knowing you.

Godzilla: Size does matter.

Kingpin: From the guys what brung you dumb & dumber

OllieO 05-18-01 04:46 AM

Watched Copland last night: No-one is above the law.

Yoda 05-19-01 02:22 PM

Where do they all come from anyway? Seems like each movie has 10 of them now -- are these various slogans they pickup and dump along the brainstorming process?

OG- 05-19-01 03:22 PM

I don't know. I was wondering that myself.

Agarash 05-25-01 07:23 AM

These Slogans are Supposed to ADVERTISE the movie...tell the public what it is about. i say away with the total thing. Dont you just hate it when stuff like that give away the entire movie???
[Edited by TWTCommish on 05-25-2001]

rascaal 05-25-01 11:38 AM

Not sure about the worst one that i've seen, but one really good one was Alien
'In space no-one can hear you scream'
I also like the one for the Charlies Angels movie which was
'Get some action'

mightymose 06-11-01 07:38 PM

I'm sorry... but the Army of Darkness slogan is one of my all time favs, but then again I watch the trilogy constantly :-)

Yoda 06-13-01 09:12 PM

Yeah, that one isn't too bad.

mightymose 06-13-01 10:02 PM

If you think about it, "Trapped in time, surrounded by evil, low on gas" is corny as hell... but that's what makes the movie so much fun! Bruce Campbell is the greatest B movie actor of all time :)

Wart 06-13-01 10:29 PM

Isnt Bruce Campbell the King of Thieves in Hercules/Xena and I think he had a TV series where he was some kind of Zorro with a brainy female sidekick set in colonial times. If thats Bruce Campbell---then absolutely he is the funniest actor!

mightymose 06-13-01 11:49 PM

I think he was in Xena, but I don't watch and can't say for sure. I know that he did have a tv series named Brisco County Jr. that I thought was hilarious.

OG- 06-14-01 10:34 PM

He was in Jack of All Trades!!! Great show!

MFalkawein 06-27-01 04:22 PM

Probably the worst movie slogan I have ever heard would have to be The Matrix - "Nobody can be told what the matrix is.. you have to see it for yourself". How stupid is that?

Yoda 06-27-01 04:39 PM

Stupid? It's an incredibly clever marketing tactic. They're basically planting a seed inside you that wants to know what The Matrix is -- it wants to see the movie to find out. They are, in a VERY subtle way, saying that you can't understand the secret behind the movie without seeing the movie.