Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stars Who Hated Each Other On-Set (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=25778)

jordan17 06-06-11 08:08 AM

Stars Who Hated Each Other On-Set

Just spotted this interesting article on Yahoo!

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/arti...er-on-set.html

Do any of you know of any other on-set feuds?? If so, please share!!!

Deadite 06-06-11 08:24 AM

Re: Stars Who Hated Each Other On-Set

Good stuff!

The Prestige 06-06-11 09:56 AM

That was a nice read. I could have sworn that Robert DeNiro and Ray Liotta didn't get on during Goodfellas?

TONGO 06-06-11 10:58 AM

While making JAWS Richard Dreyfuss was terrorized by Robert Shaw when he got to drinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0zzOuR5wE

ash_is_the_gal 06-06-11 11:17 AM

Lily Tomlin and director David O. Russell on the set of I Heart Huckabees were at each others throats. here's some entertaining footage of said drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Qls1rAfYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EDIT: did i do that right?
i'm on my phone. =/

Holden Pike 06-06-11 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1307372387
I Love Trouble

Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts still hate each other, seventeen years after co-starring as would-be romantic reporters in the dud I Love Trouble.

jordan17 06-06-11 12:12 PM

Have been doing some research into the spats mentioned in the article. Lucy Liu v Bill Murray is said to have gone like this:

Murray stopped a scene mid-point, pointed to Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and Liu, and said in order, "I get why you're here. And you've got talent. But what in the hell are you doing here? You can't act." Lucy then completely flipped and began showering Murray with punches until crew members separated them.

WOW!!!

And as for Lilly Tomlin & David O Russell...well, i wouldn't believe it if I hadn't watched it with my own eyes!!! Talking of Russell, I'm sure I heard he got into a fight with George Clooney on Three Kings...or am I just imagining it???

Holden Pike 06-06-11 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1307373443
Guys & Dolls

Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando disliked each other during the shooting of Guys & Dolls - mostly stemming from Sinatra resenting that the non-singing Brando got the lead role he coveted - and continued to speak ill of each other for the rest of their lives.

jordan17 06-06-11 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 733647)
Lily Tomlin and director David O. Russell on the set of I Heart Huckabees were at each others throats. here's some entertaining footage of said drama.

i'm on my phone. =/
Lily Tomlin v David O. Russell Round 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4uTGvTFzyQ

will.15 06-06-11 12:45 PM

It wasn't just Bette Davis feuding with Joan Crawford, she also hated and feuded with Miriam Hopkins and Errol Flynn.

William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy got along on Star Trek and were friends. The rest of the cast hated Shatner.

Tony Curtis for years expressed his contempt for Marilyn Monroe and said kissing her was like kissing Hitler in Some Like it Hot, but in his very late years suddently talked nice and even claimed to have slept with her.

I don't remember the movie, but Edward G. Robinson and George Raft almost came to blows because they were both sleeping with their co-star, Marlene Dietrich. They both got along with her. Robinson also hated Miriam Hopkins who he worked with on another movie.

Joan Crawford hated Norma Thalberg on The Women.

Lucille Ball hated Madeline Kahn on Mame and got her fired over the director's objection.

Lawrence Olvier hated Marilyn Monroe who he co-starred with and directed in The Prince and the Showgirl

Terry Thomas hated the American comics in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, probably Milton Berle the most as most of his scenes were with him.

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were not on speaking terms during the shooting of their last movie together.

TONGO 06-06-11 12:45 PM

i'm on my phone. =/
^^^^^^^^^ WHOA! Russell is a straight up imbecile! I read an interview with George Clooney in Playboy and he described going after Russell, and had to be pulled off or he would have killed him. I can see why.

Godoggo 06-06-11 03:02 PM

I don't think they were ever on set together but I gotta mention Olivia de Havilland & Joan Fontaine. Sisters and hated each other since they were little.

I love old Hollywood feuds and scandals. :D

The Prestige 06-06-11 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jordan17 (Post 733659)
Have been doing some research into the spats mentioned in the article. Lucy Liu v Bill Murray is said to have gone like this:

Murray stopped a scene mid-point, pointed to Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and Liu, and said in order, "I get why you're here. And you've got talent. But what in the hell are you doing here? You can't act." Lucy then completely flipped and began showering Murray with punches until crew members separated them.

WOW!!!

And as for Lilly Tomlin & David O Russell...well, i wouldn't believe it if I hadn't watched it with my own eyes!!! Talking of Russell, I'm sure I heard he got into a fight with George Clooney on Three Kings...or am I just imagining it???

That's ****ing funny, lmao. Just the thought of Lucy going mental and trying to knock out funny man Murray is making my eyes water :D

Re O'Russell: Yeah, this geezer has a bit of a rep for not getting along with his cast, doesn't he? Apparently he and George Clooney didn't get along. I also read that he put Christopher Nolan in a headlock..doubt it's true though...

Godoggo 06-06-11 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 733670)
^^^^^^^^^ WHOA! Russell is a straight up imbecile! I read an interview with George Clooney in Playboy and he described going after Russell, and had to be pulled off or he would have killed him. I can see why.
I liked the very childish tantrum he was throwing while screaming at Tomlin to grow up.:D Tomlin handled it well I gotta say. I probably would have went more the Clooney route.

Golgot 06-06-11 03:32 PM

A slight spin on this... Brian Blessed claims to have 'tamed' Oliver Reed on the set of Prisoner of Honour, via the threat of extreme bearded violence. He reckons Ollie was sober, very English, and as good as gold after that ;)

Hear his reminiscences and rambles here. Starts at 16 mins, but the specifics are around 17.30 mins.

will.15 06-06-11 03:52 PM

Off-screen feuds include Tom Neal beating up Franchot Tone over Barbara Payton.

filmgirlinterrupted 06-06-11 04:30 PM

Gary Oldman vs. Winona Ryder on the set of "Bram Stoker's Dracula"

MadMikeyD 06-06-11 04:59 PM

Does Claudette Colbert's dislike of Frank Capra fit here? (This is how I've heard the story) Capra directed Colbert in For the Love of Mike. She said it was the worst experience of her life. When he asked her to do It Happened One Night she demanded twice her normal salary and said the picture had to be completed in 4 weeks (Capra originally wanted to shoot in 8) so she wouldn't miss a scheduled vacation. She constantly complained on-set to the point where Clark Gable, who loved his experience on the film, verbally reprimanded her. When the filming was finally over she told people she just finished the worst picture she had ever made.

Deadite 06-06-11 05:09 PM

I recall reading/hearing about some kind of feud between Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey on the set of Batman Forever. Apparently, Jones was a smug prick to Carrey during the shoot and belittled Carrey's acting. Or something like that.

will.15 06-06-11 05:11 PM

Mel Brooks and Zero Mostel didn't get along during The Producers

Does anybody here remember Robert Cummings? He was in a sitcom with Julie Newmar called My Living Doll (he was a scientist who built a sexy robot) and quit before the season was over because he hated her. The show lasted one season. He was replaced by another actor already in the series.

Deadite 06-06-11 05:21 PM

i'm on my phone. =/
Hot damn. Russell deserved to get his ass kicked for that one. :D

TheUsualSuspect 06-06-11 07:33 PM

Val Kilmer vs everyone pretty much.

honeykid 06-06-11 08:01 PM

Greta Garbo and Fredric March on the set of Anna Karenina. She wanted John Gilbert, but Louis B. Mayer hated him* and refused to hire him. Apparently she'd eat a whole clove of garlic before their love scenes.

*At a party, Gilbert punched him in a bathroom, after Mayer called him an idiot about his impending marriage to Garbo (which didn't happen) and said "You don't buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free." After this Mayer set out to ruin Gilbert's career.

Alec Guinness and Star Wars. :D

rufnek 06-06-11 08:18 PM

Vivian Vance and William Fawley who played the Mertzs on the long-running I Love Lucy dispised each other. But Vance and Ball became good friends and Fawley and Arnez were buddies, although Arnez told Fawley--a boozer--early on that if he ever showed up on the set drunk he would be fired.

Although successful on the screen together, Mae West and W.C. Fields couldn't stand each other. In a scene in My Little Chickadee, they're supposedly sitting in a railway car facing each other--the camera cuts to Fields for his lines and then to West for her lines: actually they weren't even on the same set together, each having filmed their parts separately and then were edited to appear they were talking.

Marlon Brando did the same thing with Dennis Hopper in Appocalypse Now--wouldn't let Hopper on the set in a scene where the two characters were supposed to be talking to each other. They had to shoot the two separately and then edit it together.

W.C. Fields took his work very seriously and was extremely touchy about anyone interfering with him while he was working. He and comedian Ed Wynn both were employed at one time in the Ziegfield Follies. One night while Fields was doing his famous bit about playing billards, Wynn came out on stage behind him and started mugging. Fields noticed that the audience was laughing at the wrong times, looks behind him, sees Wynn, and breaks a pool cue over Wynn's head knocking him unconcious on the stage. Fields then proceeded with his act, and no one dared go out and get Wynn until after Fields finished his act. As I recall, Wynn was badly injured and had to be taken to the hospital.

Someone already mentioned that Bette Davis didn't think Errol Flynn was a real actor. There's a scene in one film about Queen Elizabeth and Essex, with the two playing the respective leading roles in which Davis slaps Flynn and, whether on purpose or accidentally, she really wollops him. If you ever see that scene, watch Flynn's reaction--that's real hate in his eyes and he tenses up like he'd really like to pop her back. I understand that years later after Flynn's death, Davis was watching that film and commented, "You know, he really wasn't a bad actor after all."

rufnek 06-06-11 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 733669)
Terry Thomas hated the American comics in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, probably Milton Berle the most as most of his scenes were with him.
Lots of people hated Berle, including folks who didn't even work with him. When they were shutting down the famous Shamrock Hotel here in Houston years ago, there were lots of stories in the newspapers and on TV about the celebrities and famous events there (the hotel's grand opening was recreated in Jett Rink's make-believe hotel in the film Giant.) Anyway, I remember an article in which they interviewed this elderly black man who had worked as a waiter for years in the hotels big showroom, and he was talking about all the great performers he had seen and what they were like. And he said at the time that Berle was the only one who was just plain rude and mean to all the staff, plus his language apparently would have made a streetwalker blush.

mark f 06-06-11 08:33 PM

Humphrey Bogart and William Holden could barely stand each other on the set of Sabrina (1954), so when you see their scenes together as brothers, I'd say that's some fine acting. Bogart also didn't think much of Audrey Hepburn. Some of this was apparently due to the fact that Bogie wanted his wife Lauren Bacall to play Sabrina, and then Holden and Hepburn fell in love on the set.

rufnek 06-06-11 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 733719)
Off-screen feuds include Tom Neal beating up Franchot Tone over Barbara Payton.
There was an old Western Swing musician named Spade Cooley who was a successful band leader and competitor of Bob Wills. Cooley worked primarily California and also worked at one time as a stand-in for Roy Rogers in his Westerns since they did very much resemble each other. Well, Rogers' success as a Saturday matinee cowboy star and Cooley's inability to break into movies (as the more famous Wills and his band had done) really started to prey on his mind to the point that he was accusing his wife of having affairs with Rogers. He finally flipped out one night and beat and kicked his wife to death in front of their young daughter.

There was a character actor named Paul Kelly who used to turn up in films like John Wayne's Flying Tigers or as gangster opponents of Cagney and Bogart. He also had a bad jealous streak and beat to death some guy in Hollywood over some woman (maybe Kelly's wife). Don't recall the dead guy's name or if he also was an actor, but anyway Kelly did some years in prison before coming back and working in the movies again.

rufnek 06-06-11 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 733793)
. . . apparently due to the fact that Bogie wanted his wife Lauren Bacall to play Sabrina, and then Holden and Hepburn fell in love on the set.
Yeah, nothing will ruin a film job quicker than your two co-stars getting it on while you're taking cold showers! :) Reminds me of that old joke about the difference between a slut and a bitch.

mark f 06-06-11 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 733800)
Reminds me of that old joke about the difference between a slut and a bitch.
We all know there's only ONE of those.

Monkeypunch 06-06-11 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 733743)
Mel Brooks and Zero Mostel didn't get along during The Producers
Mel Brooks was terrified by Zero Mostel, and often sent others (including Gene Wilder) to ask him to do another take when necessary.

rufnek 06-07-11 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 733802)
We all know there's only ONE of those.
One joke, one slut, or one bitch?

rauldc14 06-07-11 07:26 PM

Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis didn't get along well either. I can't remember the exact analogy but Curtis said that kissing Monroe was like kissing (insert random non-good thing here).

will.15 06-07-11 10:31 PM

...Hitler.

Going back some, Ben Turpin, (the anti-Marty Feldman, crossed-eye instead of cock-eyed) who appered in a couple Charlie Chaplin shorts, didn't like Chaplin.

planet news 06-08-11 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by rufnek (Post 734013)
One joke, one slut, or one bitch?
None of the above. One reminder.

will.15 06-08-11 03:53 AM

Although Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff made a number of movies together they were definitely not friends. Lugosi resented Karloff became a bigger star and hated the tea breaks he was forced to participate in during the filming of their movies (a lot of British stars insisted tea being served on the set). Karloff in interviews always talked sneeringly about Lugosi. There are contradictory reports about what happened during Black Friday. Originally they had co-starring roles, Lugosi playing the scientist, Karloff the Professor Lugosi experimented on. Either Karloff after seeing the rushes insisted on taking Lugosi's part (he was struggling with an American accent in his dual role) because Lugosi was giving a better performance, or the producers bumped him into the Lugosi part because of the inadequate performance. Lugosi with his thick Hungarian accent couldn't do the Karloff role so he was delegated to a minor role playing a gangster that he was not right for and Stanley Ridges, also British but much better doing an American accent, played the Professor.

Loner 06-08-11 06:40 AM

Klaus Kinski vs Werner Herzog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uE5F0WXic

From My Best Fiend.

The Prestige 06-08-11 12:22 PM

Andrew Shim and Ben Marshall, the two lads from A Room For Romeo Brass didn't get all according to Paddy Considine. Apparently they were fighting in every scene they took. But then, I think they were about 15/16 so you sort of expect that from kids.

jordan17 06-09-11 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 733661)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1307373443
Guys & Dolls

Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando disliked each other during the shooting of Guys & Dolls - mostly stemming from Sinatra resenting that the non-singing Brando got the lead role he coveted - and continued to speak ill of each other for the rest of their lives.

Here's a bit more information on the feud between these two "Guys":

Sinatra was actually signed to do "On the Waterfront" after Brando initially turned it down. When he changed his mind Sinatra was expensively dumped (leading to him filing a lawsuit for breach of contract against producer Sam Spiegal). Sinatra blamed Brando for this and publicly told him so. During "Guys and Dolls', Brando got his revenge by taking umpteen takes for his scenes with 'one take' Sinatra. A prime example of this is where 'Sky' & 'Nathan' first meet and 'Nathan' has to eat a piece of cheesecake. Brando, knowing how much Sinatra hated cheesecake, purposely flunked take after take. The following day, however, the scene was shot in just a single take!

Dannii 10-22-17 01:48 PM

Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze didn't get along while filming Dirty Dancing, also Cagney and Lacey didn't see eye to eye during filming.

Joel 10-22-17 01:54 PM

Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray had a clash of egos on the set of What About Bob?.

Seems fitting, though. Both are arrogant in real life, so not exactly a shock. Still though, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for some of the shoot.

cat_sidhe 10-22-17 02:49 PM

Did the leads X-Files originally not get along, or was that just legend?

Gideon58 10-24-17 06:59 PM

This is not the first thread we've had on this subject, but some that I know about that haven't been mentioned yet:

Barbra Streisand and Walter Matthau did not get along at all at all while filming Hello Dolly!

Richard Dreyfuss and Bill Murray did not get along during the filming of What About Bob?

Murray also had problems with Lucy Liu during the filming of Charlie's Angels, which is why Bernie Mac played Bosley in the sequel

Susan Hayward and Bette Davis did not get along during the filming of Where Love Has Gone.

Speaking of Davis, she hated working with Erroll Flynn on The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex. that she decided not to audition for Scarlett O'Hara when she heard Flynn was being considered for Rhett Butler.

Apparently, Bill Murray also had problems with Chevy Chase on the set of Caddyshack

Stirchley 10-25-17 05:02 PM

Joan Fontaine had a miserable time on the set of Rebecca. Olivier made her life miserable because he wanted his wife, Vivien Leigh, to play the part. Fontaine also felt excluded from the British cliques on the set, which included Judith Anderson & Hitchcock himself. She felt they looked down on her. Hitchcock encouraged this behavior on the set & Fontaine’s insecurities transferred well to the screen.

Ange1e4e5 10-25-17 08:17 PM

Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder in Dracula is an interesting case. They were nice to each other during the first part of filming, then they returned from a break in filming and hated each other.

Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister) and Jerome Flynn (Bronn) for Game of Thrones. Presumably there's a breakup that went badly wrong, from what I've heard.

Dani8 10-25-17 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ange1e4e5 (Post 1809596)
Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder in Dracula is an interesting case. They were nice to each other during the first part of filming, then they returned from a break in filming and hated each other.

Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister) and Jerome Flynn (Bronn) for Game of Thrones. Presumably there's a breakup that went badly wrong, from what I've heard.
Oh that's interesting. Makes me feel batter about poor Dracula losing his mind over such a wet blanket.