Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Donald Trump for President? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24857)

MadMikeyD 01-28-11 03:28 PM

Donald Trump for President?

Trump was on Jimmy Fallon last night. He is apparently thinking of seriously running for president. He said people asked him if he was going on the show to announce that he will run. His response was simply, "I'm not making that announcement tonight." I can see him running, the question would be, would he really have a chance?

will.15 01-28-11 03:32 PM

Re: Donald Trump for President?

This isn't the first time he said he was thinking of running and he didn't run and he won't do it this time. He has no chance. If he runs he probably will do so as an independent (that's what he said last time). I'd bet money he is not going to run. He is just shooting off his mouth.

Sexy Celebrity 01-28-11 03:35 PM

I won't vote for him because I would want Ivana Trump for First Lady and that won't happen.

MadMikeyD 01-28-11 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 711568)
I won't vote for him because I would want Ivana Trump for First Lady and that won't happen.
That wouldn't be an issue, since Trump's married to Melania now.

Yoda 01-28-11 03:43 PM

Not running, wouldn't win.

Plainview 03-04-11 12:32 AM

He would be the best golfer to hold the position of Prez ever.

will.15 03-04-11 01:07 AM

How aboit this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88AsArwYsTc

mark f 03-04-11 01:16 AM

Great way to perk up the thread...

will.15 03-04-11 01:29 AM

What is hilarious is he says he will only run if he gets campaign contributions. He went to jail a few years back because he illegally spent campaign contributions on himself. Send him that money so he can spend it on himself and go to jail again.

rufnek 03-04-11 07:05 PM

Think how easy it would be for the Secret Service to guard President Trump--just slap a decent hairpiece on him that doesn't look like it was swept off the floor by a dog-groomer and no one would ever know him. :)

will.15 03-04-11 07:21 PM

Charlie Sheen for President.

Powdered Water 03-05-11 12:47 PM

Is Donald Trump on Charlie Sheen? I'd vote for that.

DexterRiley 03-05-11 12:49 PM

Jack Abramoff is pooling the prison gang funds for Trump.

I'm kidding, but wouldnt be surprised either
:D

ashdoc 03-02-16 12:06 AM

should the US military obey Trump if he becomes President ?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/51217662.cms

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 711568)
I won't vote for him
I voted for him today..........

And I don't care what you think. I've been a fan of his long before this whole president thing even happened.

Captain Steel 03-02-16 12:21 AM

Conspiracy theory: Trump has been positioned into place to insure a Clinton Presidency.
What say you?

Swan 03-02-16 12:24 AM

America is funny.

Gatsby 03-02-16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1469384)
Conspiracy theory: Trump has been positioned into place to insure a Clinton Presidency.
What say you?
I don't think so. Who knew Trump would become such a huge threat?

ashdoc 03-02-16 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1469386)
but why has he become popular ??

can anyone tell me the reasons ??

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ashdoc (Post 1469389)

He's a bad mutherfuker.

Swan 03-02-16 12:44 AM

I'm voting for Abraham Lincoln.

AboveTheClouds 03-02-16 12:54 AM

Xenophobia.

AboveTheClouds 03-02-16 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469394)
http://img03.deviantart.net/fd03/i/2...er-d33u2nl.png

He is NOT ******* around.

TONGO 03-02-16 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469394)
In todays world - Too tall, lanky, longwinded, and weird looking. Plus his wifes a nut. Tabloid fodder and he'd truly never be considered.

Disgust in the establishment. Americans arent happy with how things have been in the White House since the Gore/Dubaya election. Trump is the wrong guy at the right time.

Ross Perot had a real serious chance of winning, but he pulled out of the election. Then he went back in. He never recovered his prior #'s in the polls.

Naisy 03-02-16 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 711571)
Not running, wouldn't win.
Obviously a typo that should read "Shouldn't run, shouldn't win"

John Oliver's segment on Trump was only released on Monday (Sunday for you other side of the worlder's) and already has reached over 49 Million views, 988 thousand shares and 623 thousand likes. I enjoyed it. As an outsider I am unsure of what Trump's appeal is. Sure he offers solutions to problems but they are often illegal, inhumane or just weird. Sure he has been successful with making millions but it's not like he built his empire from the ground, a multi million dollar loan from Dad is a wonderful head start (I assume).

#makedonalddrumpfagain has been trending high for three days straight. I guess he can be entertaining but I am yet to see one idea of his I think is actually feasible.

Yoda 03-02-16 01:42 AM

I posted that in 2011, just in case anyone didn't notice. I would've been less convinced he wasn't running last year.

Naisy 03-02-16 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1469410)
I posted that in 2011, just in case anyone didn't notice. I would've been less convinced he wasn't running last year.
Some Yoda you are, not foreseeing the events of the future. :mad:

The Gunslinger45 03-02-16 01:51 AM

People are so sick of career politicians, people will vote for anyone who is not an establishment candidate.

Goofy Dude 03-02-16 01:54 AM

I'll say this for him. At least he's not boring. You never know what's going to come out of his mouth.

He is sure making the Republican Party establishment sweat bullets.

Look what he did to poor Jeb Bush who started last year with a hundred million bankroll.

Psychic Isaac 03-02-16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Naisy (Post 1469411)
Some Yoda you are, not foreseeing the events of the future. :mad:
That's my job.

Captain Steel 03-02-16 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1469386)
The Clintons knew.
Vince Foster knew. Vince Foster knew a lot of things.

Mandwa Mona Rudao 03-02-16 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds (Post 1469397)
Xenophobia.
Political Correctness. When it comes to the schools and workplaces people react and the pendulum swings into an another direction. Hopefully thing normalise after a while.

seanc 03-02-16 07:56 AM

He's mean spirited is reason #1. If you want to know the kind of debating Americans like take a look at Facebook. You say something I fundamentally disagree with and my big comeback is to get louder than you and call you sophisticated names such as idiot. We are essentially a bunch of 7 year olds snd Trump exemplifies that.

Then there is the fact that he is scared of everything that is different than him. Mexican and Muslims are the target right now. He is going to rid the country of these nast viruses.

Sad time for me politically. I am almost completely punched out. I have no more energy for politics.

matt72582 03-02-16 08:37 AM

Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have the most support - but the DNC and RNC isn't going to let it happen.. Debbie Schultz is corrupt. Even the vice-chair dropped out so she could endorse Sanders knowing it wouldn't help, but I appreciate someone who believes in something willing to lose their position.

I'm tired of a stockbroker mentality for human values.

rauldc14 03-02-16 09:22 AM

Bill Pullman gets my vote. He already served back in the nineties and was one of the best presidents we ever had.

Swan 03-02-16 09:25 AM

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U...e-hands-up.gif

WHY DON'T WE JUST CONSIDER GARY BUSEY NEXT FOR PETES SAKE

Goofy Dude 03-02-16 09:38 AM

How about Robert Blake?

Even that bird on Baretta was scared of him.

seanc 03-02-16 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1469580)
Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have the most support - but the DNC and RNC isn't going to let it happen.. Debbie Schultz is corrupt. Even the vice-chair dropped out so she could endorse Sanders knowing it wouldn't help, but I appreciate someone who believes in something willing to lose their position.

I'm tired of a stockbroker mentality for human values.
Sanders got trounced last night. He made it respectable and that's...respectable. He is far from having the most support though.

Why do we see boogey men everywhere?

honeykid 03-02-16 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1469383)
I voted for him today..........

And I don't care what you think. I've been a fan of his long before this whole president thing even happened.
I know this will probably look and sound like a personal attack, but that's honestly not what I'm intending.

Having said that, this is everything that's wrong with this whole thing.

No one's supposed to be seen as the most 'pure' fan. This isn't a band you're were into before they even had a recording contract. You aren't meant to be a fan of someone and follow them blindly and, being a fan of someone and then blindly following them in a completely different arena is, frankly, ridiculous and, when it comes to things as serious as this, potentially dangerous.

I'm not saying this because I disagree with Trump's policies. If you agree with them, then you should vote for him. However, as he doesn't have any yet, I can't disagree with them and people can't vote for them.

As someone who rarely agrees with (and even more rarely believes) what a lot of politicians say, Trump has an attraction to me. Nothing I've heard thus far is going to get anywhere near done and, as Trump has no idea how to do anything other than promote himself, nothing really will get done. By him, anyway. And that's where I feel the real problem lies. If he's not there making decisions or leading policy for four years, who will be? Trump will jump on any idea which can be sold to him as promoting him and making him look good, which is worrying to say the least.

I was listening to someone a couple of weeks ago who had a theory I'd love to think was true.

He thinks that all Trump's talk of running for President was just another branding strategy (which I can completely believe is how it started) and is something which snowballed. Once it became clear that people were doing more than just attending and listening, Trump turned it up a notch. Saying things which should've damaged his run enough to put him out.

He could then do the whole 'they can't bear to hear the truth/of course the Establishment is running scared and that's why they're after me. etc' kind of thing. But this didn't happen. People still kept cheering. He was still winning. So he upped it more. Mexicans, Muslims, walls and all the rest of it. Definitely political death, right? Nope. He got bigger. He's even leading the polls with the very people he's denigrating. This guy said that Trump has done all he can to lose and he keeps winning and now he's panicking and hopes that Hilary will finally help him out. :D

Sadly I worry that Hilary is so toxic that there are people happy to vote against her, regardless of who they have to vote for.

Even the Pope has said things about him which put him in a poor light for such a Christian country (maybe not the 'right' Christians, I don't know) and his reply is that when ISIL attack Vatican City the Pope would have wished Trump had been elected. What kind of answer is that? Doesn't matter. He's kicked on again and is more popular. Believe me when I say that every politician in the world is looking at Trump and his campaign and is trying to work out why it's working. The answer, of course, is that he's not one of them and they can't fight that.

The US isn't the only place in the Western world where this is happening. It's been happening in other countries for a few years now. But it's possible that he is the worst candidate and the one with the best chance of taking charge.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1469611)
I'm not saying this because I disagree with Trump's policies. If you agree with them, then you should vote for him. However, as he doesn't have any yet, I can't disagree with them and people can't vote for them.
this!

i don't understand... are people rallying for him because he just says what he wants and hates political correctness? other than making Mexico build a wall and registering Muslims to some database, what has he said his policies are? those are just broad statements about groups of people...

Swan 03-02-16 10:11 AM

I'm curious why people are so against Hillary? Genuine question, I don't know.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 10:16 AM

^it's weird, for a nation that is "so against" Hilary, she's still winning

same goes for Trump. he gets so much hate everywhere you look... but he's a front runner

this whole thing is confusing

Goofy Dude 03-02-16 10:35 AM

Look who they're running against.

Bernie Sanders looks like he's a hundred.

It's Trump versus the two Cubans. Cruz is as likable as a rattlesnake and Rubio looks like he's wearing his father's suit.

honeykid 03-02-16 10:36 AM

I don't really know why people are against Hilary over there. However, I am baffled by how much esteem she's held in (politically) considering how unremarkable her career has been thus far. Maybe that feeds into the extreme dislike of her with some people over there?

Other than that, I'd guess it's because she's a Clinton and she's a woman.

seanc 03-02-16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469613)
I'm curious why people are so against Hillary? Genuine question, I don't know.
Obviously this comes from a place of being a conservative guy so take it for what it's worth. I refuse to vote for anyone pro abortion. Unfortunately that has become an issue that many politicians have become indifferent towards. Not Hillary though. Her and Bill basically spearheaded the march towards partial birth when he was president. Which takes an issue I am already passionate about and makes it ten times worse.

The other reason I have never voted Democrat is they have no concept of trickle down economics. It frustrates me endlessly that they talk about the 1% as if that segment of society will go away with their policies. The consumer will always pay for any taxes that are put on the rich. They devalue the dollar with their policies.

On a personality note, I think she believes the voter is stupid and her job is to save us from ourselves. The e-mails and Benghazi situation are perfect examples of this. I'm not going to argue she made us less safe but she dropped the ball on both counts and has been so disingenuous about both situations. Deflecting and straight up lying, and she thinks we are too dumb to notice. That is how I have always felt about her. She is far from the only politician I feel that way about but we are talking about her specifically.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid
No one's supposed to be seen as the most 'pure' fan. This isn't a band you're were into before they even had a recording contract. You aren't meant to be a fan of someone and follow them blindly and, being a fan of someone and then blindly following them in a completely different arena is, frankly, ridiculous and, when it comes to things as serious as this, potentially dangerous.
This is exactly why I voted for Donald Trump....... here we have a liberal, yet again, telling me how I'm supposed to be behave. How I'm supposed to think and feel.

Goofy Dude 03-02-16 12:15 PM

How do you feel about supply side economics, which hasn't worked too well for Kansas and Louisiana?

Swan 03-02-16 12:16 PM

Thanks Sean. Insight is definitely appreciated. However, I'm more curious why Democrats/liberals seem to really dislike her, too? Like, it makes sense why a conservative who disagrees with her policies won't like her. But what about the people who do agree with her policies and ideas?

I've heard some people who I'm pretty sure are more liberal say they want Bernie to win, but if he doesn't and it's Hillary vs. Trump, they'll vote for Trump. I am so utterly confused by that sentiment.

I really have to wonder if it's at least partly due to the fact that she's a woman. Like, thought experiment here, if she was a male would people be giving her as much sh*t over stuff?

I think that meme where Bernie says something smart and she says something dumb is the most annoying thing. If she was a man I don't believe that meme would exist. That meme should be Bernie and Trump, not Bernie and Hillary.

And remember, I'm not even a Hillary supporter necessarily. I haven't been following the race at all up until now, though I have watched some stuff. Just not enough. Maybe I feel the Bern as well, I genuinely don't know. I have a lot to get caught up on, and maybe I'll find that she says a lot of really dumb stuff as I look into it.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:17 PM

Goofy Dude, please get an avatar. I love your username, but no avatar is really ruining your whole non-image.

seanc 03-02-16 12:20 PM

@Swan I don't think that is unfair to bring up. Especially considering she is pretty much the equivalent of Bill, and that guy could do no wrong in the site of Democrats.

Daniel M 03-02-16 12:20 PM

I don't dislike Hilary, but from what I've seen from here I think there's something condescending about the way she comes across, as if she's entitled to you support because she could be the first female president. I'd rather vote for Bernie Sanders who seems like more a real, relatable person, and from what I have seen has always been consistent, open and actually out their supporting social causes he believes in.

I find it very interesting the religion seems to play such a huge part in US politics. I've tried to pay more attention to this election, and that's probably the main thing I've noticed.

edit: I don't understand why someone would vote Trump over her though if she was the democrat candidate. I think people just make hyperbolic statements about her because they want her voters to come over to Bernie too. After the nomination race is over I would assume that the democrats would be a lot more united.

Swan 03-02-16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1469650)
I don't dislike Hilary, but from what I've seen from here I think there's something condescending about the way she comes across, as if she's entitled to you support because she could be the first female president. I'd rather vote for Bernie Sanders who seems like more a real, relatable person, and from what I have seen has always been consistent, open and actually out their supporting social causes he believes in.

I find it very interesting the religion seems to play such a huge part in US politics. I've tried to pay more attention to this election, and that's probably the main thing I've noticed.
Thanks Daniel. I can appreciate that kind of sentiment, if it's true.

I don't see that point coming across through that meme, though.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1469650)
I don't dislike Hilary, but from what I've seen from here I think there's something condescending about the way she comes across, as if she's entitled to you support because she could be the first female president.
It's the only reason why she's winning, basically. They want her as president so America can look even more progressive. We had the black president.... now we have to have the female president. Next, there will be a gay president, or a transgender president, etc.

I don't support her. I voted for her in the 2008 primary. No more of that.

Originally Posted by Daniel M
I'd rather vote for Bernie Sanders who seems like more a real, relatable person, and from what I have seen has always been consistent, open and actually out their supporting social causes he believes in.
I like Bernie Sanders. I strongly considered voting for him yesterday. Kinda glad I didn't because I don't see him going anywhere now. I like Trump and I wanted to have the chance to vote for him.

From my perspective, right now, the whole country's religious people vs. anti-religion people. Especially anti-Christianity.

Daniel M 03-02-16 12:28 PM

Also I watched the 2011 Donald Trump roast last night as it was on Comedy Central over here. WTF? They joke about him running for president, they all act like his friends, they make jokes about people like Sarah Palin who is now part of his campaign, it's weird how so much has changed in a few years. I'd like to see all those people back on another roast now. That would be interesting.

Swan 03-02-16 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1469659)
Also I watched the 2011 Donald Trump roast last night as it was on Comedy Central over here. WTF? They joke about him running for president, they all act like his friends, they make jokes about people like Sarah Palin who is now part of his campaign, it's weird how so much has changed in a few years. I'd like to see all those people back on another roast now. That would be interesting.
It's surreal, isn't it?

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:32 PM

I saw that roast. Where Marlee Matlin and Gilbert Gottfried roasted him together, right?

Daniel M 03-02-16 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1469662)
I saw that roast. Where Marlee Matlin and Gilbert Gottfried roasted him together, right?
Yes, that one.

Yoda 03-02-16 12:39 PM

I heard that the comedians who participated had to promise not to make jokes about him not being as rich as he is.

Lots of reasons to think he's nowhere near as rich as he claims.

CiCi 03-02-16 12:42 PM

Thank God I'm British is the main thing I've learnt from this, although we have our share of idiots too, though.

I don't like Hillary, and I can't even take Trump seriously. I quite like Sanders though. I agree that Hillary seems condescending, and Trump makes Farage look plausible by comparison, and that xenophobe is anything but.

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but how can people be so vehemently anti-abortion? Surely, a woman should have rights over her own body, someone else telling her what to do with it always seemed bizarre, archaic, and a bit creepy to me. Even before I kind of abandoned Catholicism etc. That was something I always believed in.
That being said, I support the most liberal party in the UK :lol:

AboveTheClouds 03-02-16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1469649)
@Swan I don't think that is unfair to bring up. Especially considering she is pretty much the equivalent of Bill, and that guy could do no wrong in the site of Democrats.
He was also a hell of a lot more appealing to the youth of the 90's. The dude smoked pot and plays a mean saxophone. But it's kind of funny to think how many people actually get elected into office simply because their supporters think their "cool" or "popular"

That was the case with our latest leadership race in Canada. I don't vote and don't believe in politics because I think it's mostly a sham, and even when people have good intentions it usually ends up that they're now broken promises. Our new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is doing a fantastic job of making my country more "hip" and "equal" for everyone who's just moved here, but doesn't care about the people born here. He pandered to the immigrant vote and the young and dumb vote and was able to achieve victory.

Now I'm not one for a mostly right wing, christian government we did have, but I did appreciate the PM's somewhat frugal spending and his want to push Canada as a major power in the resources game. Now I'm afraid we have a fop for a PM who's more concerned with public appearance than public policy and will ultimately smell of the same mistakes his father did when his father ran my country.

I know this is not American politics, but I'm just illustrating how "cool" candidates are basically worth sweet **** all. Clinton was a mouth piece, a cool mouth piece, but still a mouth piece.

Also I'm not entirely sure about your system in the states, but if it's anything like up here, even if the PM makes a motion it has to pass through and be approved by Parliament. So is it the same in the states? even if Trump won, he would have to pass all his outlandish policy through congress, and if they want nothing to do with it, he's technically powerless isn't he? If that's incorrect, could someone please enlighten me about that?

seanc 03-02-16 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1469670)
Thank God I'm British is the main thing I've learnt from this, although we have our share of idiots too, though.

I don't like Hillary, and I can't even take Trump seriously. I quite like Sanders though. I agree that Hillary seems condescending, and Trump makes Farage look plausible by comparison, and that xenophobe is anything but.

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but how can people be so vehemently anti-abortion? Surely, a woman should have rights over her own body, someone else telling her what to do with it always seemed bizarre, archaic, and a bit creepy to me. Even before I kind of abandoned Catholicism etc. That was something I always believed in.
It is bizarre to think another human has the right to push their will on someone who can't speak for themselves. Maybe that's our middle ground, I don't know.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:51 PM

Swan, is that a new murder weapon of yours?

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goofy Dude (Post 1469622)
Look who they're running against.

Bernie Sanders looks like he's a hundred.

It's Trump versus the two Cubans. Cruz is as likable as a rattlesnake and Rubio looks like he's wearing his father's suit.
so you think Bernie is losing mainly cause he looks old af?

Swan 03-02-16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1469677)
Swan, is that a new murder weapon of yours?
You're the one with an avatar of a dude wielding a knife.

Yoda 03-02-16 12:53 PM

Re: Hillary. Obviously, I'm a conservative, so I'm not the best guy to ask. As ash points out, she's winning anyway, but you can be disliked by huge parts of the country even if you're liked by Democratic primary voters.

That said, I've heard from a number of Democrats--honestly, far more than I'd have expected--who don't like her. They tend to cite the reasons you'd expect: they don't trust her. Caught lying too often. Heavily calculated. Always cutting some corner and ending up in some easily-avoided scandal. And as Daniel alluded to, the reasons for her candidacy are a bit patronizing. Like when she said she was an "outsider" simply because she's a woman, despite being a career politician.

Anyway, the main thing about Hillary is that everyone already has a strong opinion of her: she has weak favorability ratings, but they're never going to crater. You're not going to move them dramatically either way without a major revelation. Which means she's a very beatable candidate with a normal Republican nominee, but probably has enough structural support to win against someone like Trump.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1469639)
Obviously this comes from a place of being a conservative guy so take it for what it's worth. I refuse to vote for anyone pro abortion. Unfortunately that has become an issue that many politicians have become indifferent towards. Not Hillary though. Her and Bill basically spearheaded the march towards partial birth when he was president. Which takes an issue I am already passionate about and makes it ten times worse.

The other reason I have never voted Democrat is they have no concept of trickle down economics. It frustrates me endlessly that they talk about the 1% as if that segment of society will go away with their policies. The consumer will always pay for any taxes that are put on the rich. They devalue the dollar with their policies.

On a personality note, I think she believes the voter is stupid and her job is to save us from ourselves. The e-mails and Benghazi situation are perfect examples of this. I'm not going to argue she made us less safe but she dropped the ball on both counts and has been so disingenuous about both situations. Deflecting and straight up lying, and she thinks we are too dumb to notice. That is how I have always felt about her. She is far from the only politician I feel that way about but we are talking about her specifically.
most of your argument is more about why you wouldn't vote for a Democrat, not Hilary per se. (most Democrats are pro choice). but I think your last paragraph sums up nicely why most people don't like her.

CiCi 03-02-16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1469674)

It is bizarre to think another human has the right to push their will on someone who can't speak for themselves. Maybe that's our middle ground, I don't know.
I think so, I always found China's forced abortions heartbreaking, even though they had no other choice.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 1469678)
so you think Bernie is losing mainly cause he looks old af?
I think so. It's even deterred me away from him. Trump looks big and healthy, and so does Chris Christie, who I suspect is going to be his VP. Even though I won't be surprised if one or both of them drop dead from heart attacks in a few years. But still. Sanders looks kinda like a feeble old granny.

Yoda 03-02-16 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AboveTheClouds (Post 1469671)
Also I'm not entirely sure about your system in the states, but if it's anything like up here, even if the PM makes a motion it has to pass through and be approved by Parliament. So is it the same in the states? even if Trump won, he would have to pass all his outlandish policy through congress, and if they want nothing to do with it, he's technically powerless isn't he? If that's incorrect, could someone please enlighten me about that?
Yep, pretty much. The President is Commander-in-Chief, so he could still do lots of dangerous things, militarily. And President Obama has taken a very wide view of what kinds of things the President can unilaterally declare via Executive Order (there's been a lot of fighting about it), which would constrain him even less. But there are still checks and balances, if we stop eroding them all the time, that would force him to be more realistic about his goals. I see little indication his supporters care, though. It's not about what he'd literally get done, it's about what he represents.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469680)
You're the one with an avatar of a dude wielding a knife.
Well, you and I belong to the knife club.

Swan 03-02-16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1469681)
Re: Hillary. Obviously, I'm a conservative, so I'm not the best guy to ask. As ash points out, she's winning anyway, but you can be disliked by huge parts of the country even if you're liked by Democratic primary voters.

That said, I've heard from a number of Democrats--honestly, far more than I'd have expected--who don't like her. They tend to cite the reasons you'd expect: they don't trust her. Caught lying too often. Heavily calculated. Always cutting some corner and ending up in some easily-avoided scandal. And as Daniel alluded to, the reasons for her candidacy are a bit patronizing. Like when she said she was an "outsider" simply because she's a woman, despite being a career politician.

Anyway, the main thing about Hillary is that everyone already has a strong opinion of her: she has weak favorability ratings, but they're never going to crater. You're not going to move them dramatically either way without a major revelation. Which means she's a very beatable candidate with a normal Republican nominee, but probably has enough structural support to win against someone like Trump.
Yeah, I mean, like I said I'm not necessarily a Hillary supporter. I might be completely wrong anyway, but it's worth wondering about. Like, what if she was a guy? Do you think she might be more easily forgiven for that stuff? I don't know.

I think the main reason I even brought it up is because of that meme.

Yoda 03-02-16 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1469687)
Well, you and I belong to the knife club.
The first rule of Knife Club is that you talk about Knife Club.

Swan 03-02-16 12:59 PM

I am definitely the Edward Norton of Knife Club.

Sexy, you can be Meat Loaf.

Yoda 03-02-16 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469688)
Yeah, I mean, like I said I'm not necessarily a Hillary supporter. I might be completely wrong anyway, but it's worth wondering about. Like, what if she was a guy? Do you think she might be more easily forgiven for that stuff? I don't know.
I guess we'll never know, but plenty of male politicians are seen as overly calculating. Ted Cruz comes to mind.

Imagining her as a man is pretty instructive, though, because if you do, it becomes obvious how relatively unexciting she is. I think that's the main issue: she's a big step down, enthusiasm-wise, after first Obama and then Sanders. A lot of people will be "settling" for her even on the Democratic side. Maybe that's enough. But there's definitely going to be an enthusiasm gap.

CiCi 03-02-16 01:01 PM

Sexy, Trump does not look healthy. I dread to think what his BMI is, and his skin tone is like a terracotta kind of colour. That being said, I totally agree about Bernie!

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469691)
Sexy, you can be Meat Loaf.
............... There's about to be another knife fight.

Daniel M 03-02-16 01:02 PM

I think this kind of thing puts people off Hilary too - http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...illary-clinton

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1469694)
Sexy, Trump does not look healthy. I dread to think what his BMI is, and his skin tone is like a terracotta kind of colour. That being said, I totally agree about Bernie!
I think he looks healthier than Bernie. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- people respond more favorably to fat people than they do old looking people. Fat signifies wealth and abundance. Old and skinny and wrinkled looks like death personified.

CiCi 03-02-16 01:14 PM

Thats a good point, Sexy. I'm sure I read somewhere that being fat used to be fashionable hundreds of years ago for those reasons.

Bernie does look like death warmed up a bit though, and it is off putting, even though I know it shouldn't be :D

Swan 03-02-16 01:15 PM

Maybe when Bernie supporters say "feel the Bern," they're actually telling Bernie to go get some exercise and maybe he'll have a better chance. :D

Yoda 03-02-16 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1469697)
I think this kind of thing puts people off Hilary too - http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...illary-clinton
There was something else similar about Madeleine Albright saying there was a "special place in Hell" for women who don't support other women. That's a quote she's used for awhile, but used in the context of a campaign, it sounded like she was suggesting women had some kind of ethical obligation to support female candidates.

Swan 03-02-16 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1469707)
There was something else similar about Madeleine Albright saying there was a "special place in Hell" for women who don't support other women. That's a quote she's used for awhile, but used in the context of a campaign, it sounded like she was suggesting women had some kind of ethical obligation to support female candidates.
Yeesh. She sounds like fun.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1469702)
Thats a good point, Sexy. I'm sure I read somewhere that being fat used to be fashionable hundreds of years ago for those reasons.

Bernie does look like death warmed up a bit though, and it is off putting, even though I know it shouldn't be :D
He's too old. I think if he was younger -- 40's, 50's -- he'd have a great shot at beating Hillary. A great shot. But he's pushing 80. If he was younger, he'd be more hip and cool and DEPENDABLE. It would be like Hillary vs. Bill Clinton back in the '90s. But now, Hillary is the younger of the two.

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469703)
Maybe when Bernie supporters say "feel the Bern," they're actually telling Bernie to go get some exercise and maybe he'll have a better chance. :D
I don't think exercise would help him. If anything, it might make him look worse. Those old bones exercising? He could hurt himself.

Yes, being fat can help you. I honestly think most of the fat shaming out there is coming from jealousy. Michelle Obama preaching healthy food choices and anti-fat propaganda -- that's a jealous, insecure woman.

Swan 03-02-16 01:25 PM

Sexy, you fat-shame me more than anyone I know.

matt72582 03-02-16 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by CiCi (Post 1469670)

I think people forget the "idea" of America.

I can't imagine Thomas Jefferson thinking "We sacrificed our lives for this?" Both parties are almost the same. I guess the best question to ask is whether the American people deserve the government they get. People have a responsibility to at least know what kind of system we have.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1469712)
Sexy, you fat-shame me more than anyone I know.
Fat jokes are love. Comedy is love. That's what's wrong with America -- that's why I voted for Donald Trump -- too many liberals/Democrats now see comedy as hate. Comedy is dying a grueling death right now in America thanks to too many people who are super sensitive and think every joke is full of hate. Comedy is not hate. Comedy is love. Fat jokes are dealing with the fat in a way that's actually supportive and inclusive. I love fat jokes and I love fat people. I love offensive jokes and the people being offended. People used to make gay jokes about me a lot around here and I've noticed there's been a decline. People are worried that someone like Iroquois is gonna come around and shush them and tell them to call everyone "cisgender" or "cishet."

Donald Trump is a funny guy. Hysterical, even. I'd rather have a fat, funny guy in the White House than those two other old bats in the belfry, Hillary and Bernie.

Yoda 03-02-16 01:38 PM

I like that Trump says what's on his mind. I just wish there were better things on his mind to begin with.

Swan 03-02-16 01:39 PM

Love you too, Sexy.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1469655)
They want her as president so America can look even more progressive. We had the black president.... now we have to have the female president.
yeah! kinda like we just haaad to have an old white guy for president, for, like, every other time before that

Citizen Rules 03-02-16 01:53 PM

I just read through the last couple pages and many of you said what I already knew, most people vote a candidate based on how they personally feel about them.

It's the old litmus test: 'which candidate would you want to have as a neighbor?' Frankly I think that's silly. I don't care if someone seems cool or the other person seems stuffy or whatever tag words you apply to them.

I personal consider the issues, especially the ones I care about and secondly the party affiliation. Sadly Dems and Repubs are two sides of the same coin, and most politicians are self serving. If they weren't they wouldn't be able to achieve the ability to run for President.

Yoda 03-02-16 02:06 PM

Yes, plenty of women are qualified to be President. But not because they're women.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 02:10 PM

I don't really like Hilary either. but holy crap, who cares about negative rep? Sexy, you're warped. please seek help. that is all.

Citizen Rules 03-02-16 02:21 PM

SC, you like Donald Trump because you see yourself in him...someone who would say or do most anything to garner attention, regardless of the consequences. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1469744)
SC, you like Donald Trump because you see yourself in him...someone who would say or do most anything to garner attention, regardless of the consequences. Tell me I'm wrong.
I don't think you're necessarily wrong. I hate that everyone thinks I'm such an attention seeker, though. I don't think that's true. I like Trump's energy and charisma and the fact that he wants things done right. I starting liking all of that about him before he started his run for presidency. I found him appealing and inspiring back then. Loud, obnoxious people are sometimes trying to be heard, maybe even trying to speak the truth. Easygoing people are sometimes more easily accepted, but they may also be wrong about things. I think it's dangerous to always want to listen to people who appear sweet and nice.

Citizen Rules 03-02-16 02:38 PM

Fair enough.

SC, so which issues that Trump supports, do you like?

Sexy Celebrity 03-02-16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1469747)
SC, so which issues that Trump supports, do you like?
I confess that not everything Trump has said has really intrigued me. That big wall he wants to make at the border of Mexico or wherever it is -- I'm kinda sick hearing about the big wall. But whatever. I do, however, like his aggressive feelings about stopping things like possible terrorist acts in the country. I think we need to be concerned about ISIS and things like that.

CiCi 03-02-16 03:01 PM

I have to admit, I don't think it's coincidence, for example, that in the history of our monarchy, the ones who probably accomplished the most were Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, who themselves didn't believe in women's rights.

And then you have the likes of Isabella of Castile, who was responsible for the discovery of America, and Maria Theresa Habsburg, who as a woman in her twenties, managed to get her empire out of the immense debt her father left her in in addition to implementing education and military reforms.

And that's not even detailing any of the modern female rulers. Women are innately capable of ruling effectively and efficiently, just as men are. Yoda's earlier post was so spot on.

matt72582 03-02-16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1469697)
I keep saying I'll stop talking about politics, but if people are going to bring it up.... A big problem is when people shield their party. Why trade your individuality for a group in the first place? Instead of being honest with both sides, even-handed to make them better, we do the opposite. So they take their supporters for granted. If you notice throughout modern American history, a Republican President can get away with "liberal" stuff and vice-versa.

Sanders and Trump are getting the most support on the ground, but both the DNC and RNC are trying to make sure they aren't the nominee. I think it's a slap in the face to voters in New Hampshire when Bernie Sanders wins by 22% but loses because of delegates. Superdelegates suck too. The first thing people say to defend them is that they can change their mind. So go wherever the wind blows. Why not reflect the voters? That's true indirect democracy. They both put rules in place to get the outcome they want. I don't blame people for not voting. I wouldn't vote for the evil of two lessers anyway. The Democratic Party was dead until Bernie arrived, and now that we have a modern-day FDR, all the people (even some conservative friends of mine) will say, "But what are his chances?" What about our chances? The GOP want a brokered convention and will probably get it (unless they're convinced it's better for them) so that the House can vote for President. I rather have a candidate I don't like, but one that the people want. So you have the death of the Republican Party as well - a stockbroker mentality for values. Speaking of Republicans, that's exactly what you'll get with the current Goldwater Girl Hillary Clinton, who has voted with the right-wing on EVERY major issue, so there really isn't choice. And people think Trump isn't a Republican either. Now EVERY candidate wants to be an "outsider" - which is good symbolically, but it's simple opportunism. They're all scripted, buzz words, tough talk, fear tactics. This has become an election centered around ratings and an all-out circus.

Gloria Steinem - another fraud. A woman who used men to climb up the social ladder. Mike Nichols, Mort Sahl, etc etc.. She was (maybe still is) CIA - we know that she took down the names of all the leftists at the Vienna Youth Festival and had the financing for her Ms. Magazine, embezzled by Warner Brothers... Feminist... What's wrong with being a humanist? Why divide us against each other? It's alright, she'll liberate women.

Beware of false profits.

ash_is_the_gal 03-02-16 03:51 PM

yeah, they might be capable, but who knows? it's hard to say. i mean, it's not like a woman has ever ran a country before. there's really no way of knowing what they'll do. like what if they'll all get their periods and blow us all up? or what if they have kids? i mean, personally, i don't see how a women with children could possibly run a country unless she doesn't give a crap about her children. talk about bad parenting, am i right? haha. and even if she has kids but it's ok because they're all grown, well, then we have to worry about whether or not she ends up having grand kids. you know how crazy grandmothers be! they can't concentrate on anything but their grand kids.

you guys, i just don't think it's gonna work. there's too much at stake. soz, Hills.

Goofy Dude 03-02-16 03:52 PM

Every time I see Sanders I think of Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett Show, that frail old man who could barely move.

Trump needs to get someone he'll listen to give him media advice. Not to turn him into a wind-up doll like Rubio, but to get some breaks on him.

Is Hillary beatable? Of course. But actually it is the non traditional Republican candidate in this race, Trump, who has the best chance to do that if he wasn't so wild. Sometimes Trump is brilliant. Calling Jeb low energy, brilliant. The way he first questioned Cruz's eligibility, saying he wasn't going to challenge him, but the Democrats would. Smart. Then he started to more directly challenge his citizenship and threatened to sue him himself. That was dumb. He always goes too far. He is his own worse enemy.

Cruz is not an appealing candidate in a general election. He is not going to do well in the purple states. He's got to take the states Romney lost. How can he do that?

Rubio has a chance to beat her, but he's looks less impressive lately, with the botched debate where Christie unnerved him and cost him momentum in New Hampshire, and the poorly done personal attacks against Trump. It also doesn't help on foreign policy he is a hard core neocon who wants the United States to directly engage in every hot spot in the world, including the Ukraine.. The United States has to realize it's limitations and carefully pick its fights.