Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Did Forrest Gump and his son both have AIDS?? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=19928)

Black Rawkus 06-24-09 06:27 PM

Did Forrest Gump and his son both have AIDS??

As if the ending wasn't sad enough..

It seems like Jenny died from AIDS, because she had a lot of sex and shared needles with people all throughout the 70's (when HIV/AIDS was spreading and no one knew). And when she was diagnosed, the doctors didnt know what it was. She was just slowly decaying.. so it seems like all signs point to AIDS.

She came back had sex with Forest after her wild partying days and its entirely possible that she passed it onto him. If not, she could have picked it up after she left him and ran away again (during which time she had the kid and got the waitressing job), but that means that the KID still got the AIDS from her blood during pregnancy. I doubt she picked up the virus after she had the kid, because it seemed like she got her act together and was a responsible parent and not a whore anymore.

So because she was so reckless and loose in her younger days, that poor little kid got AIDS?? And probably Forest too, since I assume they boned after she came back for the last time and got married??

I know this whole theory is based on the assumption that Jenny did, in fact, die from AIDS. But I really think thats what the story implied.

My favorite movie of all time and I'll never be able to look at the same way. This is some messed up sh*t

Holden Pike 06-24-09 06:41 PM

Yes, the implication is that it was AIDS that killed Jenny. However, even an undiagnosed woman who carried the baby to term would not necessarily transmit HIV to the child, or to a lover in one sexual coupling. It's a bit of Russian Roulette, of course, but not an automatic thing. Even though an HIV-positive woman can transmit the virus to her baby during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and through breastfeeding, even if she takes no preventive drugs and breastfeeds the chance of her baby becoming infected is around 20-45%. Not good odds, obviously, but also not a certainty.

So when dealing with a piece of fiction, as Forrest Gump is, it still leaves plenty of room for a happy if unlikely ending. I haven't read the novel on which the film was based, so I don't know if it is covered any more explicitly in the book, but I think the clear implication in the flick is that neither Gump is infected. Not that they know of, anyway. Even if they were, it would be with HIV first and not AIDS, so it may not present itself for many years, if ever, and when it did it may be treatable at the HIV stage in the way that say Magic Johnson has dealt with his diagnosis for nearly twenty years now.

But...you do know it's just a movie, yes? ;)

Mig 06-24-09 07:50 PM

Re: Did Forrest Gump and his son both have AIDS??

I never thought of AIDS. It is my assuption that once Forrest stops telling his story, the events are supposed to be set in the time it was made (the 90's), and I think they would have diagnosed with AIDS then if that was in fact her disease, but I suppose I could be wrong.

mark f 06-24-09 08:21 PM

Haley Joel Osment who plays Junior at the end of the film was five when it was being filmed. Based on the events depicted, the film's "present day" has to be the early 1980s which coincides with the idea which the virus Jenny mentions is HIV. However, I never considered that the male characters had HIV, but that doesn't mean anything except that I didn't. Now, I like Forrest Gump a lot as entertainment, but my wife hates it because of the way she feels it trashes the Jenny character.

TONGO 06-24-09 08:30 PM

Forrest Gumps gumpness would deflect any HIV or AIDs. Im sure his son has his gumpness too. Seriously how else could someone go thru all that he did as well as he did. One of the greatest movies ever made, and Im glad you reminded me of this gem as I replace Caddyshack with it in my top ten list.

wolfie39 06-24-09 08:44 PM

I hope just the retard had AIDS!!! I hated that movie! "Die Forrest die"!!! LOL.

Lennon 06-24-09 08:51 PM

Oh yes! He called the guy retard! He's sooo awesome!

Holden Pike 06-24-09 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by mark f (Post 543556)
Haley Joel Osment who plays Junior at the end of the film was five when it was being filmed. Based on the events depicted, the film's "present day" has to be the early 1980s which coincides with the idea which the virus Jenny mentions is HIV. However, I never considered that the male characters had HIV, but that doesn't mean anything except that I didn't. Now, I like Forrest Gump a lot as entertainment, but my wife hates it because of the way she feels it trashes the Jenny character.
Yeah, Jenny really isn't much of a character to like. Other than her "Run, Forrest! Run!" when they're kids and the natural sympathy you have for her with the implication of her Hellish childhood in her home, afterwards when she is grown she really is a bit of a ditz who unintentionally but also unfeelingly treats Forrest like *****, that is until she hits the end of her road and finally realizes what a swell fella he is and oh by the way has no more options left.

But my biggest problem with Forrest Gump isn't really the Jenny character, though she is poorly written. No, it's the betrayal of the central message of the film at the end there when he actually meets Forrest Jr. The throughline of the movie is, "Stupid is as stupid does" and his Momma's dogged and sometimes fierce defense of Forrest as no worse than anybody else on the planet just because his I.Q. is lower than normal. There's more to the story, of course, but in regards to Forrest's character and what it is able to get away with the central point is that a "slow" boy or man is no less human and in this case a damn sight less cruel and judgmental than so many of the "normal" people he encounters. But then comes the moment when he goes back to Jenny's apartment and she makes him realize that her son is their son. What is Forrest's reaction, and a move that is supposed to illicit tears for the audience? He gets all choked up and asks...

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1392075108

FORREST
He's the most beautiful thing I've
ever seen. But...is, is he smart,
or is he

JENNY
He's very smart. He's one of the
smartest in his class.

Yippee! A happy ending after all! Seems even Forrest himself hasn't learned that it doesn't matter a lick if that boy is dumb as a bag of hammers or a genius, that it is his humanity that matters most and for always. I hate the way that moment is played. Well thank goodness the boy ain't a 'tard too, we know what a horrible burden that is. Oh, wait, the whole film has just been telling us it was a blessing for Forrest Sr., why should we treat Jr. any different?

I don't hate Forrest Gump, though I do despise that cheap and contradictory sentiment that's thrown in there at the end. I don't think it's one of the best movies ever made, or of the 1990s, or an especially worthy Best Picture winner. But as an entertainment it has some nice comedy layered in, some dark edges, good performances, Bob Zemeckis is a terrific cinematic craftsman, and for being 142 minutes long it breezes through most of them.

Pyro Tramp 06-24-09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by wolfie39 (Post 543568)
I hope just the retard had AIDS!!! I hated that movie! "Die Forrest die"!!! LOL.
Could this get more neg rep than the currently leading 'i hate gays' post?

Yoda 06-24-09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 543575)
Yippee! A happy ending after all! Seems even Forrest himself hasn't learned that it doesn't matter a lick if that boy is dumb as a bag of hammers or a genius, that it is his humanity that matters most and for always. I hate the way that moment is played. Well thank goodness the boy ain't a 'tard too, we know what a horrible burden that is. Oh, wait, the whole film has just been telling us it was a blessing for Forrest Sr., why should we treat Jr. any different?
I read that scene a bit differently. While the film was telling us that Forrest Sr. was fine just the way he was, the character himself didn't necessarily always think so; it caused plenty of difficulty for him, even if things turned out well. And his road is, of course, highly improbable (which is part of the joy of it).

Mostly, though, I think it's just the most natural reaction for a parent to have. The Greatest Generation is certainly proud of their time served in World War II, and most probably feel it's a big part of what made them who they are. I imagine many wouldn't trade it for anything...but they'd still wish an easier road for their children.

Anyway, it remains one of my favorite films. And for the record, the big tearjerker for me is always the hug in front of the Washington Monument.

honeykid 06-24-09 09:55 PM

Yeah, Jenny really isn't much of a character to like. Other than her "Run, Forrest! Run!" when they're kids and the natural sympathy you have for her with the implication of her Hellish childhood in her home, afterwards when she is grown she really is a bit of a ditz who unintentionally but also unfeelingly treats Forrest like *****, that is until she hits the end of her road and finally realizes what a swell fella he is and oh by the way has no more options left.
That's true, but that's not a character, that's just women in general when they hit their mid-late 30's. :yup: :D

I'm with Yoda in regards to the rest of your post.

Used Future 06-24-09 10:09 PM

Yeah I've gotta go with Yoda on this one too. That scene is one of the best in the movie for me.

TONGO 06-24-09 11:02 PM

-Troll sense tingling-

Black Rawkus 06-24-09 11:32 PM

Thanks for comments you guys.

Jenny lives with Forrest, they bang, she leaves, has a kid, contracts AIDS, then realizes Forrest is the only one who will have her, Jenny was a whore... and she treated Forrest like $hit. I hope AIDS was very uncomfortable for her before she died.

Mig 06-25-09 08:47 AM

But my biggest problem with Forrest Gump isn't really the Jenny character, though she is poorly written
I don't think she was poorly written at all.

She's confused and ends up hurting the one who cares about her the most, I don't see how that's poorly written, those things happen in real life.

In a way her journey is somewhat paralel to Forrest's, only she makes some poor choises and don't seem bless by the same fortune as him.

I think that scene where he asks about his son's mental condition is one of the most powerful in the film, by acknowledging his mental weakness he is actually showing his mental strength.

What indications are there that the final events take place in the 80's? Any references to TV shows or indications by fashion?

To me it looked like the 90's though I haven't thought much about it, and since it was made in the 90's, I just presumed that's when it took place.

If it was the 80's then I'm inclined to believe the AIDS theory.

Brother Blue 06-25-09 09:24 AM

First thing you do not contract AID's, you contract the HIV virus. AID's is the inevitable end to the HIV cycle if you will, with todays medicine that can be controlled to allow a person to live basically a full life. But as it has already been pointed out above that this was set sometime during the 80's when the treatment was not available like it is today, so once contracted the virus could morph into the deadly AID's virus within as little as 5 years maybe less.

So given the time and the lack of knowledge surrounding the subject it's very plausible that her son has the disease to and depending on whether she contract the disorder before or after she slept with Forest he could very well have it as well. But as it has also been said above it's not certain that they both have the disease, but given the time you could probably argue that it was likely.

Which puts a slightly depressive ending on the movie which was already quite depressing to start with.

I never did like that movie....

Thursday Next 06-25-09 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rawkus (Post 543610)
Jenny lives with Forrest, they bang, she leaves, has a kid, contracts AIDS, then realizes Forrest is the only one who will have her, Jenny was a whore... and she treated Forrest like $hit. I hope AIDS was very uncomfortable for her before she died.
That's a pretty horrible thing to say. I wouldn't wish AIDS on anyone, it's a horrible disease. Maybe if she was a serial killer or a child molester I could understand you saying that, but just because she messes Forrest around a bit? Jeez. :(

Johnny Chimpo 06-25-09 10:48 AM

I never really considered or even question Jenny's illness. Bringing up the possibility of AIDS is logical and very interesting. Thanks for bringing it up Black Rawkus.

+rep

Iroquois 06-25-09 10:51 AM

I feel a little sorry for people who haven't seen Forrest Gump and see this thread's title.

Holden Pike 06-25-09 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 543745)
I feel a little sorry for people who haven't seen Forrest Gump and see this thread's title.
Forrest Gump was released in 1994; fifteen years ago now. It won a bag full of Oscars, including Best Picture, was a huge world-wide hit and became a cultural touchstone. I think we can probably take off the spoiler warning kid gloves, donthcyathink?

See also THIS thread.

Holden Pike 06-25-09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 543592)
I read that scene a bit differently. While the film was telling us that Forrest Sr. was fine just the way he was, the character himself didn't necessarily always think so; it caused plenty of difficulty for him, even if things turned out well. And his road is, of course, highly improbable (which is part of the joy of it).
Forrest's low I.Q. didn't cause any problems for him, other than the way callous people treated him because of their own assumptions and bigotry. So after Gump's long and improbable journey the thing he's taken away from it is that the best way to get around the ugliness of the world is to be "smart"? This is the message of the film? Stupid isn't as stupid does, rather it is how you're made to feel by the worst people you encounter, so if you know what's good for you don't be something they can ridicule out of cruelty and ignorance: be "normal"...whatever in the fart THAT is.

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 543592)
Mostly, though, I think it's just the most natural reaction for a parent to have. The Greatest Generation is certainly proud of their time served in World War II, and most probably feel it's a big part of what made them who they are. I imagine many wouldn't trade it for anything...but they'd still wish an easier road for their children.
You're usually a much better arguer than that. So you are comparing military service and a World War to the way somebody is born and has zero control over from the instant they emerge from the womb? How do these things equate? It would be more like if Forrest Gump were an American Black man in the South asking with hopeful tears in his eyes if his son could pass for White, because hey, wouldn't it just be an easier road if he were caucasian? It's unrealistic to expect society and bigotry to change, so the best defense is to blend in with them so they don't see you coming and then maybe you'll get through life without being picked on? THAT is the sentiment I get from that scene at the end.

Forrest Gump treats every single person he encountered on his journey the same open and honest way, it didn't matter if they were poor or rich or famous or what race or creed they were or if he knew them his whole life or met them as strangers on a bench waiting for a bus. Because of this attitude the universe rewards him time and time again, no matter how stupid and cruel the other people around him are. But when it comes to his own son...oh, I hope he's not a retard. Terrific. Lesson learned.

spudracer 06-25-09 11:57 AM

I'm normally not one to read into movies past what is put in front of us. It is a possibility that she had HIV, but it's also quite possible she had fill in the blank with any possible disease.

Simply because a person is shown as having a "wild" lifestyle for a time, doesn't entirely mean they've contracted the HIV virus.

For Forrest Sr. to want his son to be smart was probably more him wanting him to succeed and do well rather than struggling the way he had to. That's purely speculation, I could be totally wrong. It has been about 5 years since I've watched the film.

Holden Pike 06-25-09 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by spudracer (Post 543752)
I'm normally not one to read into movies past what is put in front of us. It is a possibility that she had HIV, but it's also quite possible she had fill in the blank with any possible disease.

Simply because a person is shown as having a "wild" lifestyle for a time, doesn't entirely mean they've contracted the HIV virus.
This is the line about Jenny's terminal illness...

JENNY
I have some kind virus. And the
doctors don't, they don't know what
it is. And there isn't anything they
can do about it.

So it's not just "fill in the blank with any disease", we know it's a virus that in the early 1980s the doctors couldn't identify and could not stop from killing her. We know it's the early '80s at that point in the narrative because just before Forrest gets the letter from Jenny telling him to come see her he is watching the news of Hinkley's attempted assassination of President Reagan on the television (late March of 1981).

I think the clear implication is the insidious, deadly, difficult to identify virus of the early 1980s was HIV/AIDS, that Jenny who we know was promiscuous and shared drug needles, contracted it along her dark journey. That's how I understood it the first time I saw the flick in 1994, still makes the most sense today. And to place it more in actual history, the CDC recorded the first clusters of what would eventually be AIDS in June of 1981, which matches up almost perfectly with the fictional goings on in Gump. It wasn't until September of 1982 that the CDC started using the name AIDS. There's a good 1993 made-for-HBO docudrama about the discovery of AIDS called "And the Band Played On" starring Matthew Modine and an all-star cast if you want a fairly casual starting place to learn more about how the mysterious deadly virus and epidemic was identified.

But going back to the original question, again even if Jenny died of AIDS it does not automatically follow that Forrest Jr. or Sr. would also be infected with HIV or that it would lead to AIDS.

spudracer 06-25-09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 543759)
I think the clear implication is the insidious, deadly, difficult to identify virus of the early 1980s was HIV/AIDS, that Jenny who we know was promiscuous and shared drug needles picked up along her journey. That's how I understood it the first time I saw the flick in 1994, still makes the most sense today.
True, but again, it's been a while since I've seen it. As far as the disease transferring over, there is that possibility, as it can be passed via fluid transfer.

r3port3r66 06-25-09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 543747)
Forrest Gump I think we can probably take off the spoiler warning kid gloves, donthcyathink?

See also THIS thread.
Yeah! And in the movie Titanic, the boat sinks!

Oh, and yeah--it was AIDS. C'mon guys...if you have trouble figuring that out, consider the whole thing an 80's metaphor. If you don't know what a metaphor is see Transformers 2!

Holden Pike 06-25-09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by spudracer (Post 543761)
True, but again, it's been a while since I've seen it. As far as the disease transferring over, there is that possibility, as it can be passed via fluid transfer.
That's why I quoted this statistic in my original post: that a baby becoming infected in the womb or via breastfeeding from an infected mother is around 20-45%, according to one medical site I Googled. Another says that before treatment with AZT, about one in four or five babies born to HIV-infected women became infected. Not good odds that you'd ever want to play with in your own life, but also not automatic, and there's plenty of margin there for a fictional situation to result in a happy virus-free ending. Now if it was four out of every five babies that became infected, then perhaps you're pushing the bounds of credibility that Forrest Jr. would be the lucky one to make it and not in the 80% that don't. But since the facts seem to point to more likely than not he wouldn't have HIV, then for the sake of a fictional fantasy...why in the Hell not just go with the happy ending the film is clearly going for?

Yoda 06-25-09 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 543750)
Forrest's low I.Q. didn't cause any problems for him, other than the way callous people treated him because of their own assumptions and bigotry. So after Gump's long and improbable journey the thing he's taken away from it is that the best way to get around the ugliness of the world is to be "smart"? This is the message of the film? Stupid isn't as stupid does, rather it is how you're made to feel by the worst people you encounter, so if you know what's good for you don't be something they can ridicule out of cruelty and ignorance: be "normal"...whatever in the fart THAT is.
You said it yourself, didn't you? Some people treated him callously because they were bigoted and insensitive. And, let's be honest, he dodged a few bullets, figuratively and otherwise. The fact that he got past it all doesn't really change the fact that it caused him hardships. Isn't that reason enough to be happy for his son?

Neither the film nor the character suggests that being smart is the "best" way to live a good life, but I'd say it helps in a number of important ways. The fact that he overcame his own disability with honesty and (forgive me, please...) gumption is wonderful, but it doesn't change the natural reaction of a parent to want the best for their child in all things. Indifference or perfect contentment with a mental diability would be bizarre, to my mind.

Let's use another analogy: if an immigrant comes to America and pulls themself up by their own bootstraps, goes into business and becomes a success with no formal education...can they be proud of that fact and still want their children to get a degree? Happens all the time, and it strikes me as pretty reasonable. We're all okay with personal struggle when it's our own, or when it's in the rearview mirror and has helped us build a little character, but when thinking of a loved one's future, caution tends to prevail.

I also think there's perhaps a degree to which one must be a parent to fully "get" this scene. I'm not a parent, of course, though I am the oldest of seven children and am technically old enough to have fathered my youngest sibling, so I sometimes feel like I have a very tiny inkling of what it must be like. Presumptuous of me, maybe, but I think this is a discussion that would only take place very often among non-parents. I don't mean to suggest this in lieu of an argument, of course, or to undercut someone's opinion based on this alone, but I do think it factors in.

You're usually a much better arguer than that.
Thanks...I think? ;)

So you are comparing military service and a World War to the way somebody is born and has zero control over from the instant they emerge from the womb? How do these things equate?
They don't equate; it's simply an analogy for something a person can be glad happened, or even proud of, but still not wish on their loved ones. We've all been through some tough things and many of us would say that they made us who we are and are, in a way, glad they happened. But when faced with a choice for someone we care about, nearly all of us would choose the easiest existence for them.

Forrest Gump treats every single person he encountered on his journey the same open and honest way, it didn't matter if they were poor or rich or famous or what race or creed they were or if he knew them his whole life or met them as strangers on a bench waiting for a bus. Because of this attitude the universe rewards him time and time again, no matter how stupid and cruel the other people around him are. But when it comes to his own son...oh, I hope he's not a retard. Terrific. Lesson learned.
I think there's a difference between actively hoping he isn't mentally handicapped and simply being happy when he learns he isn't.

I think it's pretty clear that the movie's core message is not that Forrest treats people openly and honestly merely because he's simple, but because he's a good person. The movie isn't suggesting that lack of intelligence equates to goodness, or that intelligence equates to badness; just that there's more to life than how smart you are, and that you don't have to be smart to understand how to treat people. Intelligence is still a good thing, just not the only thing.

Looked at this way, Forrest's happiness near the end would seem to fit just fine. His son's intelligence doesn't undercut the film's message, because the film's message isn't lowering the value of intelligence as much as it's elevating basic decency.

r3port3r66 06-25-09 01:53 PM

Of course the book on which the movie is based, is different than the movie--dare I say alot different?

For instance:

"Jenny does die from unstated causes in the sequel—the book simply states that she and her husband got sick and both ended up dying..."

Also despite the sweet ending in the film, Forrest Jr does not have a wonderful relationship with his father, in fact his son resents him for not being there--but again that's in the book. Hollywood loves the happy closure ending though.

rufnek 06-27-09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rawkus (Post 543528)
I know this whole theory is based on the assumption that Jenny did, in fact, die from AIDS. But I really think thats what the story implied.
My favorite movie of all time and I'll never be able to look at the same way. This is some messed up sh*t
I don't think this is what the movie implied at all. Only what you inferred from what you choose to read into it. You could just as easily surmise that Jenny got aids from Forrest which Tom Hanks brought over from the set of Philadelphia. However, since Jenny never looked anything like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia, I don't believe she had aids at all. She mighta had diabetes. She mighta had bone cancer. Mighta had the same disease as Lisa Minelli's imaginary friend (Elsa?) that she sang about in Cabaret, the one who "rented by the hour" yet died young and left a beautiful corpse.
Personally, I think she was carried off by the infamous Hollywood heroine disease, where with each of her final breaths the dying woman takes on a beautiful glow, like in Love Story and Miracle of the Bells and hundreds of other films.

rufnek 06-27-09 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 543759)
This is the line about Jenny's terminal illness...

JENNY
I have some kind virus. And the
doctors don't, they don't know what
it is. And there isn't anything they
can do about it.

So it's not just "fill in the blank with any disease" . . .
I think that would be a more convincing argument if HIV were the only unknown virus around in the 1980s, rather than the "best known" at some point. Basically the cause of Jenny's death is just a plot hole that the director leaves for us to fill in--or ignore--at will. The only point important to the film is that she dies. Just like it doesn't really matter what caused Forrest's retardation, only that he's somewhat retarded. Doesn't matter either that the medical profession should have locked him away for analysis and study for the fastest recovery in history from polio or whatever crippling disease he supposedly had--one minute he's hobbling along in braces and the next minute he's running like a deer as the incredibly shoddy braces fall apart.

What's really funny about this discussion is that you guys usually pelt me for being picky about realism and historic accuracy!!! :laugh:

Slug 06-27-09 01:59 PM

Forrest Gump treats every single person he encountered on his journey the same open and honest way, it didn't matter if they were poor or rich or famous or what race or creed they were or if he knew them his whole life or met them as strangers on a bench waiting for a bus.
I find comfort and hope in the above statement.
I know life isn't that simple, and people need to be careful etc., but I wish it was like that.

I thought Forrest was cool.
I'm pretty sure I would have been his friend.
He didn't seem that slow to me.

Forrest has many of the same qualities as Gomer Pyle.
I would have been friends with Gomer too.

I don't think I would have been friends with Dan Fielding from Nightcourt. He was mean, and a buttface.

"Forrest Gump"

"Gomer Pyle"

"Dan Fielding"

honeykid 06-27-09 09:57 PM

I blame this film for Bush's election in 2000. It told voters that any idiot could succeed in America and, apparently, the voters decided to take that as a challenge. :D:p

gopalkr 06-29-09 02:00 AM

I too started wondering about the same thing after watching it recently. How coincidence it is?

But Jenny could have died after ten years. She can only die by committing suicide immediately, as she did not do so, it may be a different disease or an iniaccurate depiction in the movie.

Sir Toose 06-29-09 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 544460)
I blame this film for Bush's election in 2000. It told voters that any idiot could succeed in America and, apparently, the voters decided to take that as a challenge. :D:p
I know you're joking but it still irritates me. Particularly in light of the new president who claims to have been in 57 states. I would guess that perhaps his teleprompter wasn't working that day?

Bush scored a 1206 on the old SAT test which roughly equates to someone who might have a 130 or so IQ. That's most definitely above the norm.

That Bush was 'stupid' was a media contrivance based solely in his lack of eloquence at the microphone. I often wonder about people who will believe anything the media tells them as truth and where they might happen to be with regard to intelligence.

For the record, I'm not a Bush 'supporter' because he turned my party inside out but I don't think he earned the title of 'stupid' either.

[/hijack]

honeykid 06-29-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sir Toose (Post 544862)
I know you're joking but it still irritates me. Particularly in light of the new president who claims to have been in 57 states. I would guess that perhaps his teleprompter wasn't working that day?
57 States? Maybe he was including panic, confusion, etc. :D

will.15 08-01-12 07:19 AM

Being There has a much more uplifting message,

It is the next President of the United States could be a retard.

As long as he is white.

will.15 08-01-12 07:27 AM

I don't believe for a second that kid is really his. Just because Jenny said so when she knew she was dying and wanted Forrest to take care of him because he had money? She knew Forrest was too dumb to insist on a DNA test, which is what any other man would have insisted on. The kid looks nothing like him.

will.15 08-01-12 07:33 AM

Nobody cares about Forrest Gump anymore unless he turns evil and tries to kill Batman.

will.15 08-01-12 07:39 AM

I think there is actually a novel that is a sequel, but i don't care what happened to Forrest Gump when the movie ended. That cripple guy probably killed him if he didn't die from AIDS.

Or maybe he never was stupid. He was just play acting.

will.15 08-01-12 07:46 AM

Forrest Gump's real invention was himself.

Jenny didn't die from AIDS.

She found out Gump's secret, that his demeanor was really a facade and he was a brilliant ruthless conniving marketing genius.

She had to die to keep the illusion, the lie, of Forrest Gump alive.

honeykid 08-01-12 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 832562)
Being There has a much more uplifting message,

It is the next President of the United States could be a retard.
Surely you mean "last" and "was." :D

Powderfinger 08-01-12 02:39 PM

Actually, you shouldn't say retard no more....something like mentally challenged. :D

WinterSky 08-01-12 06:28 PM

But my biggest problem with Forrest Gump isn't really the Jenny character, though she is poorly written. No, it's the betrayal of the central message of the film at the end there when he actually meets Forrest Jr. The throughline of the movie is, "Stupid is as stupid does" and his Momma's dogged and sometimes fierce defense of Forrest as no worse than anybody else on the planet just because his I.Q. is lower than normal. There's more to the story, of course, but in regards to Forrest's character and what it is able to get away with the central point is that a "slow" boy or man is no less human and in this case a damn sight less cruel and judgmental than so many of the "normal" people he encounters. But then comes the moment when he goes back to Jenny's apartment and she makes him realize that her son is their son. What is Forrest's reaction, and a move that is supposed to illicit tears for the audience? He gets all choked up and asks...

FORREST
He's the most beautiful thing I've
ever seen. But...is, is he smart,
or is he

JENNY
He's very smart. He's one of the
smartest in his class.

I don't hate Forrest Gump, though I do despise that cheap and contradictory sentiment that's thrown in there at the end. I don't think it's one of the best movies ever made, or of the 1990s, or an especially worthy Best Picture winner. But as an entertainment it has some nice comedy layered in, some dark edges, good performances, Bob Zemeckis is a terrific cinematic craftsman, and for being 142 minutes long it breezes through most of them.
I think....the movie has just been ruined for me forever. Well, at least i can say i agree with your main point about the gnashing of the central point of the film. I don't think anyone really caught it though.

Watch_Tower 08-02-12 02:56 PM

I love this movie, it's one of the greats but I've always had trouble with the ending. jenny uses Forest and he may well have contracted HIV.....:(

will.15 08-02-12 03:05 PM

I don't take her word that is his son. They only had sex once and she was pretty loose.

How did he get in the army anyway? You don't have to be too bright, but they don't accept the mentally challenged.

Powderfinger 08-03-12 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 833074)
How did he get in the army anyway? You don't have to be too bright,
lol! :eek: :D

street sweeper 08-03-12 06:06 AM

i think its safe to say that it is a large assumption that forest jr is actually his son also one could argue that its an assumption that she died of aids. Personally i felt it was pretty much spelled out that she did contract hiv from her "disco days". this being true it is possible that neither forest or his son got it, but its not something i would like to try myself.

gandalf26 08-03-12 08:59 AM

EVERYONE HAS AIDS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es

Deadite 08-03-12 09:53 AM

^^Beat me to it.

Watcher545 08-03-12 11:33 AM

What an interesting discussion. Now I need to watch this great film again!

I think that if the boy was Forest's or not it does not matter. Forest would most likley give him unconditional love because he was Jenny's.

Given the amount of Luck Forest had in the film and the way he was able to fumble through life and have success after success, his luck would have continued and he would not have contracted AIDS.

To me he finally achieves one of his life goals in the end. To gain a piece of Jenny.

JetFan1983 09-09-12 06:46 AM

I'm watching Forrest Gump right now, searched this question and found this thread and website.

I apologize in advance if I use inappropriate language since I don't know what the kosher levels are here yet.

But here's my thinking on this. The highest probability is that the virus is HIV/AIDS. Let's assume that it is since the movie attempts to touch on the really seminal events of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

It's also the most likely that Jenny contracted HIV prior to her first return to Alabama when Forrest was a humble landscaper. It seems as if she had put her wild days behind her at that point, but still felt compelled to forge her own path and support herself, rather than living off Forrest's money.

Whether or not the kid is Forrest's, who really knows. Knowing Jenny, she could have struck up other relationships in this last chapter of her lost years. She finds out she's dying and realizes quickly that handing her son off to Forrest, his kindness and his wealth -- rather than child services or an orphanage for example --is a pretty good way to make sure her son is taken care of in her absence. But I'd still say there's a decent chance that it is his son.

In regards to the original AIDS question however, as others have said, mothers with HIV don't always pass the disease to their infants. I think that's what has happened here or else the kid would be living most of his life in a hospital. He looks healthy as a horse to me. So I can pretty confidently say the son does not have the disease.

As for Forrest, if anyone is going to get away with having sex with an HIV positive person, it's him. As was already established earlier in the movie, Forrest is a premature ejaculator and likely busted his nut after only a pump or two. That's a short enough time to keep the probability high that he did not contract the virus through repeated chafing, a cut or whatever else.

Call me an optimist, but I think both he and the kid (his son or not, who knows) lucked out and are HIV free at the conclusion of the movie.

Black Rawkus 03-21-13 11:10 PM

the she's even a more terrible person for taking advantage of a slow person

hapax_legomena 03-21-13 11:14 PM

relevant:

http://i.imgur.com/ClFN0f9.png

DeeVeeDee 03-21-13 11:25 PM

It's funny because I'm thinking about the AIDS thing all logically and true to life, and yet the question of the boy being his real son I think about in such a romantic unrealistic way.

I would say that, it's hard to say whether he or her son had HIV, Forrest less likely because it's really hard to pass from female to male. But her son very well may have had it. The boy was what, 5, when he met Forrest? That's plenty of time to live with HIV and not have it become AIDS where he would appear sick. I don't think Forrest had it though, if I were to guess.

But I find it obvious the boy would be his son, because it's meant to be because they are true loves!! Even if Jenny is all messed up emotionally and can't give her love to Forrest, they're still true loves, you could even say soulmates. So to me, a romantic, it would make sense that they make a baby after one night together. It's a movie!!

Black Rawkus 03-21-13 11:28 PM

Forrest Gump-Life is like a box of chocolates? Mutha****er there's a paper in the box that tells you what's in each piece.

Grimm35 03-21-13 11:28 PM

Oh yeah they got the AIDS

hapax_legomena 03-21-13 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rawkus (Post 888755)
Forrest Gump-Life is like a box of chocolates? Mutha****er there's a paper in the box that tells you what's in each piece.
forrest can't read he's retarded

DeeVeeDee 03-21-13 11:53 PM

Also, now reading early posts, I have to defend Jenny! True, she didn't neccesarily treat Forrest as good as she could've, but she didn't treat him that horribly, and she's not any worse than what can be expected. She was his friend when no one else was and defended him. So because he's a complete niave sweetheart she's supposed to be okay with his actions and faults? She's just that type of emotionally derranged girl/woman who is not attracted to, or sees a life working with, a guy like Forrest, a dumb but sweet and loyal person. And yes, when she's older and has delt with guys she's attracted to but are the worst kind of guys, she can appreciate him.

This is the way many many young women are for many years. I don't think she's a bad person. And I certainly don't think she intended on giving anyone AIDS and if she had known would not have done certain things. This was before even the concept of AIDS was thought about.

hapax_legomena 03-22-13 12:00 AM

Toys with a retarded person's heart/emotions.
Is a bitch to a retarded person.
Gives a retarded person HIV by selfishly having sex and then leaving.
Births a bastard AIDS Haley Joel Osment.
Leaves said AIDS bastard in the care of a retarded person.
Not fair for the retarded person or AIDS Haley Joel Osment.
But Jenny was a saint.

Yoda 07-31-13 12:54 PM

Wow, really? Is there any clue otherwise?

The "feel" of the movie is certainly that it's his, in that it's a clear emotional payoff with no music or editing or any beat that I can think of that would undermine the claim.

Yoda 07-31-13 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by hapax_legomena (Post 888765)
Toys with a retarded person's heart/emotions.
Is a bitch to a retarded person.
Gives a retarded person HIV by selfishly having sex and then leaving.
Births a bastard AIDS Haley Joel Osment.
Leaves said AIDS bastard in the care of a retarded person.
Not fair for the retarded person or AIDS Haley Joel Osment.
But Jenny was a saint.
I agree with the general point, though I certainly don't think she gave Forrest the disease. And it's pretty clear that she was one of the first to get it, and therefore didn't even realize what she had.

I think the best summary is that she treated him terribly for awhile and then got her act together, realized he'd always been there for her, and treated him well from that point on.

The Rodent 07-31-13 01:05 PM

Obi Wan Kenobi is a far worsererer person than Jenny.

The Gunslinger45 07-31-13 01:07 PM

To quote Showgirls,

Everybody got AIDS and *****!

Deadite 07-31-13 02:29 PM

Life is like a box of AIDS. :(

The Sci-Fi Slob 07-31-13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 931865)
I was never worried this because I was never convinced that the child was really Forrest's son.
Yeah, Jenny did sleep around didn't she.;)

mark f 07-31-13 02:39 PM

Well, her father screwed her up in more ways than one.

Deadite 07-31-13 03:03 PM

Jenny represented to me America's dark side, where Forrest represented its spirit. Maybe that isn't exact but both characters journey through mid to late 20th century American history and get caught up in its defining events. We mainly follow Forrest but their fates are intertwined.

I've always seen FG as a broader film than merely being about one character. He acts primarily as witness but also as catalyst, though the latter role usually appears amusingly unintentional since he's typically clueless about either the larger ramifications or context of his actions.

Xui Wan 02-05-14 06:51 PM

Maybe the movie was actually directed at what women should and shouldn't do. Like if you act a whore and you will die of the aids! or at least it was implied it was aids. However doesn't seem to me that there would be any reason to think the boy or Gump got the aids. I suppose there was the other underlying theme in the movie that if you are white and well it doesn't matter what your stature may be, you can make it in the US of A on anyone dreams. "That's all I have to say about that..."

Gideon58 02-10-14 07:19 PM

It seems pretty clear that Jenny died from AIDS and I was always under the impression that she and Forrest's sexual encounter happened long after she contracted the virus so I'm pretty sure it would have taken a long time for the symptoms to start appearing in him or his son...long after the movie ended. At this point, I also have to say that I have never been 100% convinced that the boy was REALLY Forrest's son.

Citizen Kane Hodder 02-10-14 07:36 PM

I never thought about that sort of dark ending, a whole family with AIDS. :(

But you don't have to get AIDS just because you slept with a woman who had it, nor do all kids get it from their infected mother.

mark f 02-10-14 08:05 PM

Infected mothers actually pass it to less than 1/4 of their children, but yeah, that's not what Gump is about.

Mesmerized 03-16-14 04:43 AM

Did Forrest Gump and his son both have AIDS??

No. Little Forrest wasn't even human.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/5b71xu.jpg

xkillamonjarox 05-27-14 04:30 AM

You're usually a much better arguer than that. So you are comparing military service and a World War to the way somebody is born and has zero control over from the instant they emerge from the womb? How do these things equate? It would be more like if Forrest Gump were an American Black man in the South asking with hopeful tears in his eyes if his son could pass for White, because hey, wouldn't it just be an easier road if he were caucasian? It's unrealistic to expect society and bigotry to change, so the best defense is to blend in with them so they don't see you coming and then maybe you'll get through life without being picked on? THAT is the sentiment I get from that scene at the end.

Originally i thought holden was just a ****in ******, but taking a closer look it would seem he was just arguing for the sake of arguing. :rolleyes:
forest being the man he is (simple, kind, unbiased) wouldn't want his son to be intelligent for any reason other than wanting the best for his son. 100 percent natural emotion for a father to a child. Especially remembering all the **** he had to go through as a child, not having a spot on the bus, being harassed by a group of boys from grade school to high school. those experiences may have had a role in shaping him into the man he was, but those experiences with out a doubt were hurtful in the moment. it's reasonable for him to wonder if his son was going to have to go through the same **** he had to deal with growing up. it would also be extremely unfair to say as much as forrest went through in the some odd 40, very eventful years, that he didn't understand that being "intelligent" didnt make you less of a person.

Friendly Mushroom! 08-01-16 09:15 PM

There is always a guest viewing this thread when I check the Who's Online section. Wonder why?

Camo 08-01-16 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Friendly Mushroom! (Post 1553837)
There is always a guest viewing this thread when I check the Who's Online section. Wonder why?
Every damn time, i've noticed that too.

TONGO 08-01-16 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1553840)
Philadelphia is actually a sequel to Forrest Gump.
Its true. Forrest got smart, decided to move to Philly, and be gay.

Topsy 08-01-16 09:33 PM

the comments in this thread though...
https://m.popkey.co/ffa55c/VWZ7G.gif

Topsy 08-01-16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Friendly Mushroom! (Post 1553837)
maybe someone died while lurking this page and has yet to be found

TONGO 08-01-16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1553844)
maybe someone died while lurking this page and has yet to be found
Deadite?! Did someone ever turn his computer off? :eek:

Friendly Mushroom! 08-01-16 09:47 PM

Maybe the Korean Spammers use this page to determine if they want to spam us or something.

cricket 08-01-16 09:47 PM

I think if Forrest knew Jenny had AIDS, he would have slept with her anyway. A smart guy would just take a BJ.

TONGO 08-01-16 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1553852)
I think if Forrest knew Jenny had AIDS, he would have slept with her anyway. A smart guy would just take a BJ.
I think David Niven said that once.

cricket 08-01-16 09:57 PM

He thought it meant more than one cup of kool aid.

Iroquois 08-01-16 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Topsy (Post 1553843)
the comments in this thread though...
https://m.popkey.co/ffa55c/VWZ7G.gif
This thread does feature the most neg-repped post on this entire site, after all.

TONGO 08-01-16 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1553881)
This thread does feature the most neg-repped post on this entire site, after all.
Really?! Im gonna go skim it now.

TONGO 08-01-16 11:10 PM

Ah! -21, betcha its this one. :yup:

Camo 08-01-16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 1553881)
Are you some sort of neg-rep historian? Is it this one because i can't be bothered going through the full thread - http://www.movieforums.com/community...568#post543568

Iroquois 08-01-16 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 1553885)
Ah! -21, betcha its this one. :yup:
Something I never noticed before: according to their profile, wolfie39 is currently 44 years old, which means that they would have been 37 when they made that post. 37 years old and posting like someone a third their age. Absurd.

Iroquois 08-01-16 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1553886)
Are you some sort of neg-rep historian? Is it this one because i can't be bothered going through the full thread - http://www.movieforums.com/community...568#post543568
Yeah, that's the one. We used to have a "post ratings" feature that compiled the most repped posts (both positive and negative) so it was either that one or one that quite simply read "I HATE GAYS" (though I think the edge goes to the Forrest Gump one).

Camo 08-01-16 11:19 PM

I know this is the most repped post (well i seriously doubt it has changed) - http://www.movieforums.com/community...22#post1125422

Maybe Rauls first 50's Countdown post will beat it. No pressure Raul ;)

Topsy 08-01-16 11:20 PM

the whole 2 first pages should have been up there :lol:

TrumpetsGo 08-02-16 05:19 AM

xD.... that rage though haha.... :D...

john1jacob 08-02-16 05:24 AM

In which case they (the retard and his son) should have both died or a hospital scene atleast. I guess, she didnt!

Iroquois 08-02-16 05:53 AM

Classy.

Gmork13 08-02-16 02:37 PM

It would have been the obvious but as the child was like five and Forrest or his son didn't have sign of AIDS, I would say they didn't get the virus. Of course the alternative was extremely depressing and I don't think the screenwriters or the director even considered the possibility.

Topsy 08-02-16 02:42 PM

you can live fine with the HIV virus without it breaking into aids,i think
but i agree that i dont think that was something that was even in the filmmakers mind.

Gideon58 08-02-16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rawkus (Post 543610)
Thanks for comments you guys.

Finally...someone who sees Jenny for exactly who she was...THANK YOU!!!!

TONGO 08-02-16 03:50 PM

Whoa! Thats judging Jenny way too harshly. She was used as a child and this screwed her up terribly in the head, on par with Forrests IQ in regards to debilitation. She grew up, got used further, got on drugs, almost killed herself, but yes she did break Forrests heart. She obviously cared deeply about him, but she never was "in love" with Forrest. Thats just the way it was, she like everyone cannot choose who you have those feelings for.

Yoda 08-02-16 04:10 PM

Jenny isn't a good person in the film, but yeah, saying she deserved it is a bit much. She was broken from a young age and didn't overcome it.

Camo 08-02-16 04:23 PM

I doubt Gideon was agreeing that she deserved aids. I think he was agreeing with this:

Jenny was a whore... and she treated Forrest like $hit.
I may be wrong but that's how i took it. Not that i agree with him, i actually completely agree with what TONGO said :eek: