Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What in God's name happened to UMDs?! (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=13938)

YoungBloodChampion 08-19-07 07:52 PM

What in God's name happened to UMDs?!

I'm new here, so tell if this is in the wrong section, or not. Anywhere, I'm thinking 'bout buying the new PSP Slim n' Lite. But if they don't make enough good movies on UMD, what's the point? (Besides the other features.) PSP needs to do something to revive their rip-off mini-DVDs or I might take my money elsewhere! (Like on a.... or maybe a.... or even a..... never mind.)

John McClane 08-19-07 10:56 PM

Re: What in God's name happened to UMDs?!

Originally Posted by YoungBloodChampion (Post 379816)
I'm new here, so tell if this is in the wrong section, or not. Anywhere, I'm thinking 'bout buying the new PSP Slim n' Lite. But if they don't make enough good movies on UMD, what's the point? (Besides the other features.) PSP needs to do something to revive their rip-off mini-DVDs or I might take my money elsewhere! (Like on a.... or maybe a.... or even a..... never mind.)
Buy a PSP for games, not for movies. If you wanna watch movies on the go, get a portable DVD player.

And yes, you picked the correct section.

Sedai 08-20-07 11:24 AM

Yeah, I concur. I see no point in watching a film on that tiny thing...

Get the hand held gaming device that you like the most games on!

Urban Cowboy 01-27-08 08:09 PM

The PSP is good for games. The good games it has are great, but the librairy of games is not great. As for the UMDs, Sony has completly F'd this on up. The fact is that you get less content for as much, if not more cost, due to the fact that the disc are propritary. If you really want to watch movies on the PSP, rip them from DVDs and put them on your PSP.

aap 02-14-08 03:31 PM

The screen is just too small.

jrs 02-14-08 04:44 PM

UMDs just never appealed to me at all.

r3port3r66 02-14-08 05:52 PM

Yeah I never got that whole watch a movie on my PSP thing, and when I think about watching a movie on the iPod, I shudder.

PSP=games
iPod=music
Laptop=podcasts, viral videos
Flat Screen HDTV=DVD's or Blue Ray

Mr.Nobody 02-15-08 11:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

That is all.

Cygnus X-2112 03-30-08 12:29 AM

Watching a movie on a PSP is pointless, but much like with iPods, if you must, there are better ways to do it then paying for it :D

FILMFREAK087 04-12-08 08:37 PM

I couldn't imagine watching an entire movie on that thing, if you play too long it makes you're eyes sore as hell, or at least mine do.

witts 04-12-08 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody
David Lynch, telling it like it is.

jrs 04-12-08 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody (Post 414594)
:rotfl:

That is way too funny. And true.

n3wt 07-12-08 01:24 PM

UMDs have never made sense to me, I think they are pointless and a waste of time. If you want to watch a film on the go get a dvd player with a decent screen and just play games on the psp.If you are thinking of a handheld games console try the ds, it is allot of fun and it was a large selection of good games.

The psp also has exellent games but there are allot more games to choose from on the ds. Watching films on the psp, its not for everyone.

Umds are just a flash in the pan just like mini disks were, you were able to buy them in the shop with the album on it but they lasted all of 5 mins, so as someone as already stated psp is for gaming not watching films.