Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   where do movies originate from? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=24408)

salaam123 12-11-10 01:46 PM

where do movies originate from?

Does the writer give his text to the producers or does the producer get an idea and then calls a writer to write a text? And where does the production company come to the picture?

thank you

Yoda 12-11-10 01:48 PM

Re: where do movies originate from?

I'm pretty sure it can go either way. A studio or producer or director can have an idea or hire a writer, or a writer can pitch an idea.

planet news 12-11-10 04:49 PM

Storks fly them to us.

wintertriangles 12-11-10 07:04 PM

The Illuminati

earlsmoviepicks 12-11-10 10:35 PM

There is a slot in the "H" in the Hollywood sign. Writers drop their screenplays in it and a movie comes out. That's what I heard anyways....

MovieMad16 12-12-10 01:08 PM

ive seen the inside of the H....not a pretty sight.

salaam123 12-12-10 03:02 PM

ok, What about who hires the actors, directors and writers?

will.15 12-12-10 03:10 PM

Producer does that sometimes with consulting the director.

wintertriangles 12-12-10 07:18 PM

Casting directors hires most of the actors but the producer and director can make choices themselves, the director can pick the work he films but can be given work by the studio he works for, people in the studio hire writers off a vague idea and make them flesh it out.

OR an upcoming writer can submit a spec script, and if it's really good he can sell it to the studio.

OR some random independent director can submit his film into a film festival and if it gets noticed he can get paid by a studio to produce a full length, and from there he can choose to write the film or have someone else write it.

Blink 02-09-11 11:44 AM

It seems to me that most movies are director driven - ie powered by the directors ego and own artistic creativity - examples - James Cameron, Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan etc., or by well established directors searching out screenwriting talent - such as Clint Eastwood and Unforgiven, which, I believe, was optioned for ten years or so.
Then you,ve got experienced Producers - Tom Hanks, Spielberg, Bruckheimer etc. who have their own ideas, as well as probably being inundated with qualified, creative pitches and ideas from the top echelon of screenwriters and agents.
I may be wrong, but I've yet to spot a blockbuster written by an unknown spec screenwriter that has sent their screenplay to a screenplay competition etc, done well, and then had their screenplay turned into a big movie.( Please tell me if you know of one!)
Shane Black was a breakthrough screenwriter, although none of his work has impressed me, it did impress Hollywood, and for a time he was the highest paid screenwriter in Hollywood, although ironically, most of his finished movies were extensively rewritten by the studios.
Many times the studio will chase the work of a well known writer - ie Jurassic Park, Disclosure, or John Grishams work etc.
I believe Michael Crichton was paid $5 million for a screenplay (or the rights?) of Prey before the book was even finished, but I haven't seen the movie come out?

will.15 02-09-11 12:37 PM

They also come these days from comic books, TV shows, and games and toys.

I can think of one studio movie that had a screenplay that won one of those contests, but it flopped.

kurtyaeger 04-06-11 04:18 AM

Yeah, it goes both ways.

Sedai 04-08-11 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blink (Post 713854)
Shane Black was a breakthrough screenwriter, although none of his work has impressed me, it did impress Hollywood, and for a time he was the highest paid screenwriter in Hollywood, although ironically, most of his finished movies were extensively rewritten by the studios.
How is that irony? Almost all scripts are tightened by another writer before they are produced (and then more while in actual production).

TheUsualSuspect 04-10-11 02:47 AM

First a tree is cut down, then it is turned into paper. Then a squid is killed for it's ink. People put this ink inside this thing called a pen. Then we have these weirdos who think they have stories in their heads and they need to tell it to others. So they take said pen and then paper and begin to write letters, which form words, which form sentences and soon paragraphs. A story is shaped.

Or they do it on a computer.

Powdered Water 04-10-11 02:53 AM

Check out TUS, telling us how it is. Putting his thing down is what he's doin'.

mark f 04-10-11 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 722263)

Or they do it on a computer.
The finished product still involves paper and ink, although probably not that much squid or octopus.

Justin 04-10-11 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 701106)
I'm pretty sure it can go either way. A studio or producer or director can have an idea or hire a writer, or a writer can pitch an idea.
This.

nebbit 04-10-11 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by planet news (Post 701134)
Storks fly them to us.
:laugh:

Terry15 04-15-11 03:22 PM

Well the movies themselves originate from ideas. Many times movies are actually made by books. The place that the movie is made can be in different places but not everyone has a specific place that the movie begins. The whole process of getting a idea into a movie is a very long and tough process. Many movies are made, but do not actually make it to your local theater.

Terry15 04-15-11 03:23 PM

Where do movies originate from if it is not from an idea?