Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Prometheus - Ridley Scott’s Prequel to Alien (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=20920)

GodsOtherMonkey 10-09-09 07:35 PM

Prometheus - Ridley Scott’s Prequel to Alien

http://application.denofgeek.com/ima...uction_art.jpg

SOURCE:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Ridley Scott returns to science fiction after more than 25 years and rescues Alien.
It’s been a couple of years since he first mentioned he had “a new science fiction script” in the works. Looks like this is it.

The prequel to Alien may indeed be concerned with the alien ship designed by Giger and the “Space Jockey” species of aliens. This means that there may be no human characters in this film. Wow.

How he will achieve this will be most interesting. Scott loves to bring the element of reality to his films; this is why Alien and Blade Runner were so visceral. Achieving realism in this new story setting will be a real challenge, but there is none better to take it on.

I have no doubt it will be beautifully shot.

“… what do you think about Alien Vs. Predator?” – reporter
“I have a good relationship with Fox, so … (grins) I think they know what I think” – Ridley Scott

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/imag...1199392744.jpg

http://application.denofgeek.com/ima...n/derelict.jpg

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

TheMastermind 10-09-09 08:09 PM

This is exciting! :D Now I jizzed in my pants :rotfl:

jrs 10-09-09 08:45 PM

I could have sworn I made a seperate thread, but I couldn't find it. Anyways....

Originally Posted by Jrs Sequel Buzz Thread

Ridley Scott Alien prequel has official title and first teaser posters?

Be mindful of the questionmark...

Den of Geek received these and were advised that they are 'week 42' teasers for the Ridley Scott Alien prequel scheduled for 2011. The prequel story to the 1979 blockbuster has been touted around the net as Alien: Origins and Alien Origins, but the latter seems to have won out if you can believe these.

Note that one of the alleged teasers employs both the headline fonts used in the original movie and in James Cameron's 1986 sequel Aliens.

It was a sparse communication, so take it with a pinch of salt - could be the backdrop to a current round of Fox meetings or just a bit of fan-art...

Source: Den of Geek
Other related posts:

It's Official - Ridley Scott is Directing the Alien Prequel!

honeykid 10-09-09 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheMastermind (Post 573316)
This is exciting! :D Now I jizzed in my pants :rotfl:
In space, no one can hear you cream? :D

GodsOtherMonkey 10-09-09 09:35 PM

Re: Ridley Scott’s Prequel to Alien

Ridley often likes to change the name of his movie right before it is released. This movie has no title, although it may have a working title.

Also, there is no way on Earth that Ridley Scott approved these posters. I don’t know if they are Fox official or what, but Sir Ridley’s eye did not okay these. No way.

jrs 10-09-09 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by GodsOtherMonkey (Post 573333)
Ridley often likes to change the name of his movie right before it is released. This movie has no title, although it may have a working title.
Also, there is no way on Earth that Ridley Scott approved these posters. I don’t know if they are Fox official or what, but Sir Ridley’s eye did not okay these. No way.
Yes. That's why I placed it has "Untitled Alien Prequel" in my list months ago. And that's why these posters are referred to as "week 42" posters. Alleged pre- production artwork.

7thson 10-10-09 01:18 AM

Those "posters" remind me of Tommyknockers, heh, Ridley will wastem em away.

Lennon 10-10-09 01:20 AM

Seriously? They just reminded me of crap...

michaelcorleone 10-10-09 03:58 PM

What are the sources for this? I don't know if I believe this.

jrs 10-10-09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by michaelcorleone (Post 573493)
What are the sources for this? I don't know if I believe this.
I can make a list for you if you like, but here's my source I used for my thread when the news broke out 4 months ago.

honeykid 10-10-09 06:04 PM

And I posted the rumours of an Alien prequel before that. It's all above board.

GodsOtherMonkey 10-10-09 06:42 PM

Here is the source.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Whether or not you believe Variety is your prerogative, but they have been reporting industry news for many decades.

PS I would like this to be an ongoing discussion thread on the films production. I will post what I find out as the film is made. I will have my eye on this one.

"of course the word gets out ... nothing is a secret in Hollywood, so of course the word gets around" - Ridley Scott (not said about the prequel, but it applies).

TheMastermind 10-10-09 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 573324)
In space, no one can hear you cream? :D
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:great sense of humor man! Incredible what people can come up with hehe

GodsOtherMonkey 10-10-09 07:35 PM

The Art Of Alien

The artists who started it and some who might work on the new one.

As some of you most likely know, this story originated with Dan O'Bannon, a writer/actor/fx engineer. He hooked with Ronald Shusett (Total Recall Exec.P) and together they pitched it to Fox. Walter Hill and David Giler took over (as Producers) from there.

Dan O’Bannon, Ron Shusett, and H.R. Giger all worked on the design of the “Face Hugger” alien. Giger, of course, was the sculptor.

As I am sure everyone knows, Giger’s design for the alien was based on previous work released just a couple of years prior to Alien in one of his Necronomicon works. He went on to design the “Space Jockey”, the eggs, and the production design for the “Space Jockey” ship.

Ron Cobb did much of the “human” ship design.

Roger Christian designed interiors for the Nostromo.

Leslie Dilley worked on planet design (and later did design work for Legend).

Master model makers Brian Johnson and Martin Bower oversaw "space scene" FXs.

Syd Mead did not work on Alien but did work on Blade Runner and later worked on Aliens. (Syd Mead designed the incredibly realistic spacecraft used in Mission To Mars).

The most important designer for a prequel would then be Giger, as he is the artist of the Space Jockey and the “alien” species. Giger also did design work for Alien 3 (in my opinion a better film than either Aliens or Alien 4, which was total crap). I would expect him to be very much a part of a prequel.

Additionally, Wesley Sewell has worked with Scott many times with CG.
“… what we wanted to do is take the existing technologies and refine them and push them into to a place where they are invisible” – Wesley Sewell (on Kingdom Of Heaven).
&
Richard Stammers is doing visuals (supervisor) for Robin Hood.

fadijan 10-19-09 02:53 PM

sorry guys
but with out ripley (of course only Sigourney Weaver can do this role) the movie will be doooooooomed

Sedai 10-19-09 03:22 PM

So a movie about a time period before Ripley came into the picture is doomed without Ripley?

Yeah, right.

Ok so, using the above axiom for film quality, Alien Resurrection is a good film? That had multiple Ripleys, and it seemed pretty doomed to me...

I have always been interesting in the mysterious, giant alien race that we only catch glimpses of in the original Alien. I would be interested in seeing a film that covered the events leading up to the scuttling of the alien ship on LV-426.

GodsOtherMonkey 10-19-09 11:04 PM

Alien Resurrection was horrible. eehh gads, horrible.

Scotts got so much stuff lined up he can't possibly do it all. Not in two years (something like five movies on his plate). We'll be lucky if he puts out three movies in the next three years.

Who knows if this will ever get made or if it will die in the developement phase.

honeykid 10-20-09 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 575836)
So a movie about a time period before Ripley came into the picture is doomed without Ripley?

Yeah, right.

Ok so, using the above axiom for film quality, Alien Resurrection is a good film? That had multiple Ripleys, and it seemed pretty doomed to me...
True, but it also had Winona Ryder and, therefore, was better than the first two. :randy: Though I have to admit I liked the third one best.

Hattori_Hanzo 10-20-09 04:47 PM

I agree, as a hardcore alien fanboy, getting into the backstory of what put that ship there and what actually happened would be awesome.

I can't make many apoligies for Resurrection, but 1-3 I did enjoy (definitely the first 2 moreso) so I'm down with anything that's associated with this lore. Don't mind that Ripley's not there considering the story's got nothing to do with her. The return of Scott is a great sign and one that gives me a ton of confidence.

jrs 10-29-09 06:31 PM

Ridley Scott Describes Alien Prequel

Empire was talking with director Ridley Scott recently about his return to Alien, the sci-fi plus horror film that first catapulted him to fame. Earlier this year, the news broke that Scott would be coming back for a prequel chapter to Alien, which would be set long before the mess-yourself-terror of the 1979 original.

Ever since that news was confirmed, Alien fans have all been wondering what “Sir Ridley” had in mind for the prequel. Thanks to Empire, we now have at least some idea of what we can expect.

Said Scott:

“It’s a brand new box of tricks…We know what the road map is, and the screenplay is now being put on paper. The prequel will be a while ago. It’s very difficult to put a year on Alien, but [for example] if Alien was towards the end of this century, then the prequel story will take place thirty years prior.”

“I never thought I’d look forward to a sequel…But a prequel is kind of interesting. I’m looking forward to doing that.”
Many people have also been wondering if this prequel was going to explain the mysterious scene in the original Alien where the crew members found a non-human pilot crash landed on planet LV-426 with his chest burst out. According to Scott, the prequel will have a “human focus,” though what that means exactly is anyone’s guess at this point.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Alien-Ash.jpg
Ian Holm's Ash set the stage for an Alien Prequel

In Alien, Ash (the android character played by Ian Holm), was missioned by the Mega-corporation Weyland-Yutani to bring the alien back alive. It was (semi) explained in the film that the corporation had made prior (unsuccessful) attempts to capture the alien; between that reference, and the logical deduction that a human exploration party must’ve made first contact with the aliens at some point for the mega corp to even know of their existence, let’s just say there is a lot of fertile ground on which to build this prequel.

Last word we heard, Ridley Scott (at the insistance of 2oth Century Fox) will be back to helm the film, working off a screenplay by Jon Spaihts. I feel confident in saying that there are a LOT of us out here eagerly anticipating seeing this particular prequel.

No word on when Alien 0 will be terrifying us in theaters. As stated by Scott, it’s currently in development.

Source: Screenrant