Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RoboCop (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=22030)

GodsOtherMonkey 02-23-10 08:46 PM

RoboCop

Somebody help me out here -

Darren Aronofsky makes four movies;

Pi (1998)
Requiem for a Dream (2000) (watch this movie if you want the sensation of being gut punch by a giant)
The Fountain (2006)
The Wrestler (2008)

and for his next trick, RoboCop (2011). I'm so confused.

How is Robocop going to be a deep work of spiritualism and the human condition? Or has Aronofsky decided to go pop?

I see a whole new Robocop on the horizon.

mark f 02-23-10 08:52 PM

Re: RoboCop (2011)

Besides being a violent social satire, RoboCop tried to discuss what it is to be human and the ethical ways (if any) where society can somehow turn that humanity into a "product" supposedly for society's own good. It most effectively did that through the eyes of Murphy (RoboCop) and his remembering his former life after he's turned into a cyborg and allegedly had his memories erased. Verhoeven was more into the violence and satire so there is plenty of room to get more into this metaphysical question.

GodsOtherMonkey 02-23-10 09:45 PM

That's right. It's been so many years since I have seen it, but from reading your paragraph - yeah, all that comes back. So, it would appear this is really right up Darren's alley. I wonder if this is something he has wanted to redue?

After seeing The Fountain I have been curious to see what Aronofsky can do with sci-fi. This should be an interesting film.

honeykid 02-24-10 06:58 AM

The problem with this remake isn't the remake itself, it's the fact that it's already been delayed twice. Hopefully that's not a sign of a poor/mess of a film, but we all know that it often is. :(

GodsOtherMonkey 02-24-10 03:30 PM

Ive seen four films by Darren Aronofsky, I don't see how a "mess of a film" could possibly could from him. I consider him the most emotionally powerful filmmaker out there. But then, we all screw up at some point.

FemIdeal 02-24-10 04:48 PM

If he's going into remake territory, I'd like to see his version of Metropolis. Then again, John Favreau seems to really have his thumb on that project, and I really can't argue.

Saully 09-24-11 07:47 AM

Michael Fassbender wanted for RoboCop remake

2011-09-23

"Michael Fassbender is having one hell of a 2011. In addition to being largely considered the best part of X-Men: First Class, one of the best summer blockbusters this year, he is also gaining tons of Oscar buzz for his performance in Steve McQueen's Shame and has David Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method coming out in November. As though he wasn't popular enough, Fassbender is going to start having every role in the known universe thrown at him and apparently it begins with Robocop.

Director Jose Padilha was recently interviewed on the Brazilian television show GloboNews (via Omelete) where he revealed that Fassbender is his top choice to play the android formally known as Officer Alex J. Murphy. When asked who he is looking at for the part, Padilha said in Portuguese (roughly translated), "I can not speak yet, it is too early to talk about, but it has some actors I like. I like much of Fassbender. I'll talk to him now, is a possibility. There are great actors who could do the RoboCop."

Padilha has been talking about the project quite a bit recently, having earlier this week revealed his plans for the movie. According to Padilha, the remake will not just be a carbon copy of Paul Verhoven's movie and, instead, will explore questions that weren't asked before. In the new story, the filmmaker says that he's been working on the script for the last two weeks with Josh Zetumer and hopes to start filming early next year.

Fassbender would be a perfect Robocop, but the question is whether or not he would be interested in tackling multiple franchises. While X-Men: First Class didn't kill at the box office, it made enough money to make a sequel possible and producer Lauren Schuler Donner recently told me that all of the actors are locked in for multiple films. Do you like the idea of Michael Fassbender as Robocop? If not, who would you rather see?"

akatemple 11-08-11 12:38 PM

Robocop remake goes into detail about origin

Nov 7, 2011

http://www.killerfilm.com/wp-content...p1-300x164.jpg

Fans are no doubt angry that Jose Padilha will be remaking Robocop, one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made, and are expecting nothing more than a rehash of the same stuff. Well, Coming Soon was able to interview Director Padilha about his plans for the film, and revealed his remake will go into more detail about Alex Murphy becoming Robocop:
“And I can tell you this: In the first ‘RoboCop’ when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?”
As much as I am usually against remakes, this sounds really cool, something that would definitely interest me.

earlsmoviepicks 11-09-11 10:31 AM

If he does it well, I'll buy that for a dollar!

Sedai 11-09-11 10:41 AM

Terrible. That last paragraph a couple posts above about the aim of the film is just absurd. The best sci-fi puts the technology in the background and focuses on the human story. Focusing on the technology/robotic construction of the character is an AWFUL idea, and I can see why this thing has now changed directors.

Robocop works as an over-the-top satire, which this guy seems to want to ditch completely.

DexterRiley 11-09-11 10:56 AM

the good news is, they can film on location in Detroit, blow crap up, and nobody will notice.

The Prestige 11-10-11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 777355)
if he does it well, i'll buy that for a dollar!
:d

The Prestige 11-10-11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 777358)
Robocop works as an over-the-top satire, which this guy seems to want to ditch completely.
My thoughts exactly. These kid's just don't have a ****in' clue, man.

Yoda 11-10-11 08:36 PM

It's probably a commentary on something-or-other that you can remake a satire the same way and it will not longer feel like a satire. Cue complaint about the downfall of culture.

honeykid 11-10-11 08:55 PM

I'll take up that bait, Yoda.

I think that the current culture is now become satire proof, but being more ridiculous than the satirists can be.

tharussian45 11-11-11 04:50 PM

hahaha, no way is he really going to do this....

akatemple 02-02-12 07:10 PM

Robocop remake gets a new writer

Feb 1, 2012

Many fans are still not keen on the idea of remaking Robocop given the love of the original film. However, MGM is still adamant about bringing the cyborg back to the big screen. The studio has now hired Nick Schenk rework the script for Jose Padilha to direct. The studio is wanting to begin production this Summer, but no cast members have been added yet. But we should hear something soon if the studio plans to begin on time.

Movie Rainy 02-03-12 04:45 PM

I am a fan of Robocop. Even though I'm sure this remake will be a disaster, I'm always open to the possibility of any movie being good. Unless it has Mariah Carey in it. So I'm cautiously optimistic for this film.

But it is true that all the delays might be a bad sign.

Masterman 02-22-12 01:37 PM

ime ashamed to say this but i have never seen the original robocop.

akatemple 02-22-12 03:38 PM

I have only seen the first one I never felt the need to watch the sequels but I did enjoy the first one.