Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RoboCop (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=22030)

GodsOtherMonkey 02-23-10 08:46 PM

RoboCop

Somebody help me out here -

Darren Aronofsky makes four movies;

Pi (1998)
Requiem for a Dream (2000) (watch this movie if you want the sensation of being gut punch by a giant)
The Fountain (2006)
The Wrestler (2008)

and for his next trick, RoboCop (2011). I'm so confused.

How is Robocop going to be a deep work of spiritualism and the human condition? Or has Aronofsky decided to go pop?

I see a whole new Robocop on the horizon.

mark f 02-23-10 08:52 PM

Re: RoboCop (2011)

Besides being a violent social satire, RoboCop tried to discuss what it is to be human and the ethical ways (if any) where society can somehow turn that humanity into a "product" supposedly for society's own good. It most effectively did that through the eyes of Murphy (RoboCop) and his remembering his former life after he's turned into a cyborg and allegedly had his memories erased. Verhoeven was more into the violence and satire so there is plenty of room to get more into this metaphysical question.

GodsOtherMonkey 02-23-10 09:45 PM

That's right. It's been so many years since I have seen it, but from reading your paragraph - yeah, all that comes back. So, it would appear this is really right up Darren's alley. I wonder if this is something he has wanted to redue?

After seeing The Fountain I have been curious to see what Aronofsky can do with sci-fi. This should be an interesting film.

honeykid 02-24-10 06:58 AM

The problem with this remake isn't the remake itself, it's the fact that it's already been delayed twice. Hopefully that's not a sign of a poor/mess of a film, but we all know that it often is. :(

GodsOtherMonkey 02-24-10 03:30 PM

Ive seen four films by Darren Aronofsky, I don't see how a "mess of a film" could possibly could from him. I consider him the most emotionally powerful filmmaker out there. But then, we all screw up at some point.

FemIdeal 02-24-10 04:48 PM

If he's going into remake territory, I'd like to see his version of Metropolis. Then again, John Favreau seems to really have his thumb on that project, and I really can't argue.

Saully 09-24-11 07:47 AM

Michael Fassbender wanted for RoboCop remake

2011-09-23

"Michael Fassbender is having one hell of a 2011. In addition to being largely considered the best part of X-Men: First Class, one of the best summer blockbusters this year, he is also gaining tons of Oscar buzz for his performance in Steve McQueen's Shame and has David Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method coming out in November. As though he wasn't popular enough, Fassbender is going to start having every role in the known universe thrown at him and apparently it begins with Robocop.

Director Jose Padilha was recently interviewed on the Brazilian television show GloboNews (via Omelete) where he revealed that Fassbender is his top choice to play the android formally known as Officer Alex J. Murphy. When asked who he is looking at for the part, Padilha said in Portuguese (roughly translated), "I can not speak yet, it is too early to talk about, but it has some actors I like. I like much of Fassbender. I'll talk to him now, is a possibility. There are great actors who could do the RoboCop."

Padilha has been talking about the project quite a bit recently, having earlier this week revealed his plans for the movie. According to Padilha, the remake will not just be a carbon copy of Paul Verhoven's movie and, instead, will explore questions that weren't asked before. In the new story, the filmmaker says that he's been working on the script for the last two weeks with Josh Zetumer and hopes to start filming early next year.

Fassbender would be a perfect Robocop, but the question is whether or not he would be interested in tackling multiple franchises. While X-Men: First Class didn't kill at the box office, it made enough money to make a sequel possible and producer Lauren Schuler Donner recently told me that all of the actors are locked in for multiple films. Do you like the idea of Michael Fassbender as Robocop? If not, who would you rather see?"

akatemple 11-08-11 12:38 PM

Robocop remake goes into detail about origin

Nov 7, 2011

http://www.killerfilm.com/wp-content...p1-300x164.jpg

Fans are no doubt angry that Jose Padilha will be remaking Robocop, one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made, and are expecting nothing more than a rehash of the same stuff. Well, Coming Soon was able to interview Director Padilha about his plans for the film, and revealed his remake will go into more detail about Alex Murphy becoming Robocop:
“And I can tell you this: In the first ‘RoboCop’ when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?”
As much as I am usually against remakes, this sounds really cool, something that would definitely interest me.

earlsmoviepicks 11-09-11 10:31 AM

If he does it well, I'll buy that for a dollar!

Sedai 11-09-11 10:41 AM

Terrible. That last paragraph a couple posts above about the aim of the film is just absurd. The best sci-fi puts the technology in the background and focuses on the human story. Focusing on the technology/robotic construction of the character is an AWFUL idea, and I can see why this thing has now changed directors.

Robocop works as an over-the-top satire, which this guy seems to want to ditch completely.

DexterRiley 11-09-11 10:56 AM

the good news is, they can film on location in Detroit, blow crap up, and nobody will notice.

The Prestige 11-10-11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 777355)
if he does it well, i'll buy that for a dollar!
:d

The Prestige 11-10-11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 777358)
Robocop works as an over-the-top satire, which this guy seems to want to ditch completely.
My thoughts exactly. These kid's just don't have a ****in' clue, man.

Yoda 11-10-11 08:36 PM

It's probably a commentary on something-or-other that you can remake a satire the same way and it will not longer feel like a satire. Cue complaint about the downfall of culture.

honeykid 11-10-11 08:55 PM

I'll take up that bait, Yoda.

I think that the current culture is now become satire proof, but being more ridiculous than the satirists can be.

tharussian45 11-11-11 04:50 PM

hahaha, no way is he really going to do this....

akatemple 02-02-12 07:10 PM

Robocop remake gets a new writer

Feb 1, 2012

Many fans are still not keen on the idea of remaking Robocop given the love of the original film. However, MGM is still adamant about bringing the cyborg back to the big screen. The studio has now hired Nick Schenk rework the script for Jose Padilha to direct. The studio is wanting to begin production this Summer, but no cast members have been added yet. But we should hear something soon if the studio plans to begin on time.

Movie Rainy 02-03-12 04:45 PM

I am a fan of Robocop. Even though I'm sure this remake will be a disaster, I'm always open to the possibility of any movie being good. Unless it has Mariah Carey in it. So I'm cautiously optimistic for this film.

But it is true that all the delays might be a bad sign.

Masterman 02-22-12 01:37 PM

ime ashamed to say this but i have never seen the original robocop.

akatemple 02-22-12 03:38 PM

I have only seen the first one I never felt the need to watch the sequels but I did enjoy the first one.

will.15 02-22-12 04:11 PM

I saw the first two. They were okay, but it is one of those concepts that was original at the time, but has been so imitated since rebooting it is a gigantic yawn.

By the way, I don't think the orignal was a satire. It had satirical elemnts which is not the same thing.

akatemple 02-25-12 04:53 PM

Joel Kinnaman could be the next Robocop

Feb 24, 2012

http://smhttp.13422.nexcesscdn.net/8...d4-300x200.png

The idea of remaking Robocop isn’t a popular one amongst fans, even more so the idea of recasting Peter Weller as Alex Murphy/Robocop. However, both seem to be happening, and it looks as though the next Robocop has been found. Deadline is reporting that Joel Kinnaman has been offered the role of Robocop in Jose Padilha’s remake. No word if he’s accepted the role or not.

Justified123 03-05-12 02:03 PM

I haven't seen any Robo cop yet, is that bad? :eek::D

ElmoLovesYou 03-05-12 04:37 PM

All I have to say about this is ....

honeykid 03-05-12 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Justified123 (Post 795887)
I haven't seen any Robo cop yet, is that bad? :eek::D
I'd definately recommend RoboCop. Great film. :yup:

Justified123 03-05-12 06:26 PM

Just watched half an hour of it, it's going great :)

Nausicaä 03-06-12 07:47 PM

It's official, that Joel Kinnaman above is going to play the lead in Robocop.

ElmoLovesYou 03-06-12 08:28 PM

I'm going to be skipping this. Peter Weller is Robocop. Nobody else.

genesis_pig 03-07-12 06:16 AM

I usually hate remakes.. But if they're done by good directors, I don't mind checking them out.

the Fright Night remake wasn't half bad, not even close to the original.. but not bad at all.
& besides this remake is directed by the guy who directed Tropa de Elite.
I'll give it a shot.

Nausicaä 03-07-12 06:35 AM

^ I prefered the remake of Fright Night, not a fan of the original at all.

genyav 03-07-12 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 793478)
I saw the first two.
third part not so serious(for family) and rating not big but anyway liked too! :)

jack carter 03-07-12 02:17 PM

It can only work in the 80s it will look to campy now but i will see it anyway

akatemple 03-10-12 06:03 PM

From Killerfilm.com

Robocop comes online August 2013
Mar 10, 2012

Good news for those who are anxious to see Jose Padhila’s Robocop reboot, but bad news for those who believe the film is a bad idea. MGM has now set the film to open on August 9th, 2013. Joel Kinnaman was just recently attached to star in the lead role of Alex Murphy/Robocop. We should be hearing more casting news soon.

gar19rett 03-20-12 10:51 AM

I'll reserve judgement until i see the movie..excited to see the trailer though..have been a fan since i was a little kid

genesis_pig 03-27-12 02:37 PM

The New ROBOCOP Will Be "More Human" - We Will See His Eyes This Time

Joel Kinnaman, who will play Murphy/Robocop in the upcoming reboot, revealed a few details to MTV that may upset some fans. It won't be just "jaw action" this time around, Robocop's peepers will be on display..

"'RoboCop' is going to be a lot more human. The first movie is one of my favorite movies. I love it. Of course, Verhoeven has that very special tone, and it’s not going to have that tone. It’s a re-imagination of it. There’s a lot of stuff from the original. There are some details and throwbacks, but this version is a much better acting piece... it's not going to be jaw action. They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through. You’re going to see his eyes."

Nausicaä 04-13-12 02:10 PM

I could live with this cast.

Edward Norton (Fight Club, American History X), Sean Penn (Milk), Gael Garcia Bernal (Babel) and Rebecca Hall (The Prestige) are all being lined up to co-star in MGM’s blockbuster that will act as an origin movie for the man in the metallic suit.

It’s being suggested that Edward Norton is circling the role of ‘Bob Morton’ who runs the team that design and build Robocop. Rebecca Hall would play Murphy’s wife, Bernal would be Murphy’s partner ‘Jack Lewis’ and Sean Penn would take the role of Novack, a right wing news reporter.

After the revelation last month that Robocop will have a redesigned suit that will now include a see-through helmet, the news that the film will have a cast of credible actors may go someway to reassure the nervous fan base.

Though we should say that none of these names are confirmed just yet and are probably just a wishlist.

Nausicaä 05-24-12 06:33 PM

Gary Oldman is confirmed for the remake.

honeykid 05-25-12 12:34 AM

I'm guessing he'll be playing Dick Jones or Clarence. It is Gary Oldman in a Hollywood film, after all. :p

Used Future 05-25-12 09:37 AM

'' this version is a much better acting piece''

That's a very bold statement from Kinnaman considering how outstanding Peter Weller is in the original. He certainly manages to convey Murphy's humanity before and after the transformation - and especially when the helmet comes off later in the movie. Offset that against his portrayal of Robocop as a dilligent yet ruthless deliverer of justice, and I'd say Kinnaman is going to have to move heaven and earth to top Weller.

Nothing wrong with the support in Verhoeven's film either. Nancy Allen, Miguel Ferrer, Ronny Cox, and especially Kurtwood Smith are all memorable. They might not be unimaginatively safe big names, but they were all superbly cast. Especially considering Ronny Cox had never played a villain before. I mean, how nasty is Dick Jones in that flick?

Is Kinnaman saying this is going to be less of an ultra-violent comic book satire, and more of an arty brooding spiritual exploration of humanity versus technology? I hope not because that's a sure fire way to unwhet my appetite.

honeykid 05-25-12 09:53 AM

Your appetite for this is whetted?

Used Future 05-25-12 09:56 AM

No. That was entirely my point.

But thanks for correcting my spelling.

The Prestige 05-26-12 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Used Future (Post 814269)
[i]
Is Kinnaman saying this is going to be less of an ultra-violent comic book satire, and more of an arty brooding spiritual exploration of humanity versus technology? I hope not because that's a sure fire way to unwhet my appetite.
I actually want them to go that route. The satire thing was done and done exceptionally well before, why do it again? I'm always open to reinterpretations of interesting stories. The best remakes don't just retread everything their originals do, they reinvent.

This Jose Padilha sounds like a promising filmmaker, too. I'm going to check out his other works at some point.

I say Bryan Cranston for Clarence.

Used Future 05-26-12 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 814594)
The best remakes don't just retread everything their originals do, they reinvent.
That's certainly a valid point, but my comments were more a reflection of personal taste. I wasn't saying the Robocop remake/reinvention shouldn't be different from the original. But to change the entire vibe, focus and style of the story seems foolish to me.

I still think the new version should be an ultra-violent satire, though it doesn't necessarily have to satirize the same things. After all the world has changed quite a lot since 1987; in such a way technologically, politically and economically that Robocop seems ripe for a killer satire more than ever. With an intelligent script it could be an absolute riot.

But hey, if the public wants more of a talky sombre art film approach then what do I know?

honeykid 05-26-12 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Used Future (Post 814611)
But hey, if the public wants more of a talky sombre art film approach then what do I know?
lol... UF, you crack me up. :laugh:

BTW, I meant you're up for a Robocop remake, not just that take on it.

Septimus79 06-02-12 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by akatemple (Post 793468)
I have only seen the first one I never felt the need to watch the sequels but I did enjoy the first one.
Robocop 2 isn't too bad, worth a watch, but I wouldn't bother with number 3, it's a bit of a joke.

dmovieman 06-02-12 10:19 PM

It has been so long since I saw the originals, I am very interested in seeing how this could be rethought with today's technology taken into account.

Nausicaä 06-07-12 06:19 PM

Samuel L. Jackson added to the cast:

Samuel L. Jackson has joined the cast of MGM’s upcoming “RoboCop” remake.
He will play Pat Novak, a powerful media mogul and character that was not in the original so little is known about him at this stage.

Nausicaä 06-10-12 07:32 PM

Oo another interesting casting:

Abbie Cornish looks to be the latest to join the cast of the Jose Padilha directed remake of RoboCop, the actress now in negotiations.
Hope she gets the part.

Powderfinger 06-11-12 05:05 AM

Abbie Cornish...the Aussies are taken over Hollywood :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Asv9L_YEW0...-hot-pics1.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5bc2bb0to1qaol32.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5059/...2a3da55b3c.jpg

honeykid 06-12-12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 817866)
Samuel L. Jackson added to the cast:
And the final nail is banged into the coffin for me. :(

gandalf26 06-12-12 06:37 PM

Hard to beat the original Robocop. So badass when he's out in his patrol car with the theme tune playing.

Nausicaä 06-13-12 05:54 PM

Hugh Laurie has been cast as a villain.

mojofilter 06-18-12 11:34 PM

Why are they remaking this classic 80's movie? It's not like the movie is forgotten!!

I would understand if those Hollywood basterds would remake movies that didn't do well the first time, but when they mess around with the classics...that is just unacceptable.

Same can be said about The Karate Kid, and the upcoming Total Recall.

What are they going to remake next? Rambo? Rocky? Commando?

Enough is enough!

genesis_pig 06-19-12 01:45 AM

BTW I don't know if it was a rumor or officially announced, but this will not be a remake.
So I am guessing it is somewhat on the lines of the Star Trek reboot.

Either way this movie had bad & corny sequels & a terrible TV Show (& I enjoyed all of them), so honestly I am damn excited to see this. I have seen Kinnaman act, he is not bad.
The director is quite good too. Atleast it's not Michael Bay who is set to direct it, we can atleast expect some substance in the film.

I am so excited to see RoboCop on the silver screen, I might hate it or like it. But it's good that finally another generation gets to talk about this guy, you hardly hear anyone of the youngsters talking about RoboCop.

Monkeypunch 06-19-12 04:49 AM

The original Robocop is a classic, and remains one of my favorite films ever. I think I saw it at just the right time in my life, as a young teenager, and it was like forbidden fruit, a violent, over the top, hilariously effed up film that I shouldn't have been watching, full of endlessly quotable lines...It loomed large in my imagination then, and it still kind of does now.

This said, I am willing to give the new one a go, cause it has a good cast and a director who seems to want to do right by the original, but it won't take the place of the original. How are they ever going to be as memorable as "Bitches, Leave!" or Ed 209?

Nausicaä 06-19-12 08:10 AM

Enough is enough!
Don't pay to see it. You still have the original that doesn't change.

akatemple 07-11-12 11:54 PM

This is just going to suck, at least that is my prediction.

New teaser poster.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...emple/robo.jpg

Reitweeven 07-13-12 03:32 PM

Still doubtful about this film ! I was shocked when i've heard "Hey they want to make a remake of Robocop.." WHAT ??!!! No way, for me the real and only one is the original.

Anyway, i'm willing to give this movie a chance and i will go to see it even if i'm still afraid after seeing the first "teaser", i have the feeling that i will be deceived. The casting seems really great though (even if for me Peter Weller will stay the real Robocop^^).

But why Hollywood want to make a remake of all the good old movies, no inspiration anymore ?

FILMFREAK087 08-27-12 12:02 AM

I really hate that they're doing this. From what I've seen, it looks like the dark humor of the original will be completely gone, or poorly done. Don't even get me started on the concept art. . . yeesh.

Nausicaä 08-27-12 02:39 PM

^ That's very very early concept art if you are going by the almost 'Iron Man' type designs. They have moved on from that design apparently.

The Rodent 08-27-12 03:43 PM

Hugh Laurie is apparently attached as the main antagonist now...

... wonder if he'll be sporting his awful American accent like the one he had in Stuart Little and House...

Nausicaä 08-27-12 06:11 PM

Really? I didn't watch House but all I saw was praise for his American accent in it.

Nausicaä 09-16-12 12:44 PM

Oh dear, lots of complaints that it looks too much like a Batman type suit:

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims...RoboCop_1.jpeg

Skepsis93 09-16-12 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 839419)
Hugh Laurie is apparently attached as the main antagonist now...

... wonder if he'll be sporting his awful American accent like the one he had in Stuart Little and House...
:facepalm:

flipmodes 09-16-12 03:58 PM

The best thing that I can do is stay optimistic about this. I dont think the Robocop suit looks half bad though. If they can do something along the lines of Judge Dredd it might be awesome.

The Rodent 09-17-12 07:50 AM

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35212

Quick link to the new and apparently improved Robocop.

Looks like complete tosh to me, if ever there was a movie that didn't need it...

Seriously not impressed.

Nausicaä 09-17-12 07:59 AM

^ Um, is the same image I put up above not showing then...

The Rodent 09-17-12 08:01 AM

Yes it's showing, just thought I'd stick a link in. The link has an extra pic in there as well too.

Nausicaä 09-18-12 12:42 PM

^ That suit might not be the main one, apparently there are going to be four different versions in the film, so it might just be an earlier in the film version? Or as it's only a set photo they might add all sorts of effects and so on in post production to make it look more cyborg like.

Equilibrium 09-18-12 11:21 PM

I think it looks modern and all, but its hard to uproot the iconic figure of the older robocop. But then again they did it with batman so we'll see...

Nausicaä 10-14-12 07:39 PM

http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-p...=1349712969444

http://geektyrant.com/storage/0999-p...=1349713017872

honeykid 10-14-12 09:12 PM

That's horrible.

Jim Garten 10-15-12 08:25 AM

Hmmmm...

The expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" does come to mind... not to mention "if it ain't broke, DON'T BREAK IT!"

I shall reserve judgement, but if they screw this one up, I may just have to go Ed-209 on their ass

Nausicaä 10-15-12 09:08 AM

Yep, I'm waiting to see it in the film with all the post production effects put onto it.

TheUsualSuspect 10-16-12 01:21 AM

Looks like the film was pushed back till 2014.

genesis_pig 10-16-12 05:07 PM

Judging by the suit, I am guessing he'd able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.. Move faster than the speed of light and stuff of that sort.

This is more like the usual anime versions of popular american characters.

The Rodent 10-16-12 05:13 PM

Looks like a cross between Batman, Judge Dredd and Gort.

RoboJudgeBatDreddGortManCop...

The Rodent 10-16-12 05:20 PM

http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-conten...rt-Header.jpeg

vv Looks too much like a Cain/ED209/Transformers/Prawn cross for me vv

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/blog/w...emake_pic1.jpg

vv JudgeBatDreddMan anyone? vv

http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-conte...cycle-suit.jpg

genesis_pig 10-16-12 05:41 PM

There's a bike too? :sick:

I don't hate the fact that they changed the look, but cause they made it look ridiculous.

The Rodent 10-24-12 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have to now defend it... nicked this directly from Wiki...

Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, a police officer who is gunned down and transformed into the cyborg RoboCop.

Gary Oldman as Dr. Robert Norton, the scientist who creates RoboCop.

Michael Keaton as Raymond Sellars, the villanous CEO of OmniCorp.

Samuel L. Jackson as Pat Novak, a charismatic media mogul.

Jay Baruchel as Pope, the head of marketing for Omnicorp.

Abbie Cornish as Ellen Murphy, Alex's wife.

Jackie Earle Haley as Maddox, a military tactician responsible for training RoboCop.

Jennifer Ehle as Liz Kline.

Marianne Jean-Baptiste as Karen Dean, Detroit chief of police.

Michael Kenneth Williams as Jack Lewis, Alex's former partner.

Douglas Urbanski as the mayor of Detroit.

Aimee Garcia as a scientist who works with Dr. Robert Norton.

---

So... we have a completely rewritten character line up... no Old Man, instead we have a renamed and rewritten Dick Jones.

No Clarence Boddicker, not even a rewritten Boddicker and no official crime gang or even genuine physical antagonist as I can see, it seems the only antagoist is the rewritten Dick Jones.

Sgt Warren Reed has been rewritten as a woman called Chief Karen Dean.

Lewis is now a dude and is listed near the bottom of the pile, which kinda sh*ts on the concept of the Lewis/Robo character development in the first place.

Bob Morton is now Dr Robert Norton... and played by a guy who's three times older.

Even the situation on how Murphy is turned into Robocop has been summed up as "injured in the line of duty and OmniCorp save his life".
So he's not murdered, he's simply injured and has his life saved by a rewritten Omni Consumer Products.

In summary, it sounds ripped off and seriously childlike in concept.
I could have (re)written this.

Cheap.
Very very cheap.

Attached is my reaction so far.

JimJoker 12-08-12 07:37 AM

The original was good.I haven't seen the sequels, but as I heard,those are bad.This reboot looks awful.

The Rodent 12-29-12 09:55 PM

OMG... just done a bit of digging around... how cruddy does this look?

Sexy Celebrity 12-29-12 09:59 PM

The RoboCop costume is HORRIBLE.

I haven't seen RoboCop since I was a little kid, so I basically have not REALLY seen it since I can't bring the story to memory. I need to watch it on Blu-ray sometime.

Guaporense 01-01-13 02:51 PM

The costume makes him look like someone dressed in a suit and not like an actual cyborg.

The Rodent 01-09-13 08:14 AM

According to Director Jose Padilha...

“I love the sharpness and political tone of Verhoeven's ‘RoboCop’, and I think that such a film is now urgently needed. But I will not repeat what Verhoeven has done so clearly and strongly. Instead I try to make a film that will address topics that Verhoeven left untreated. If you are a man that changes into a robot, how do you do that? What is the difference between how humans and robots are developed? What is free will? What does it mean to lose your free will? Those are the interesting issues that I think.”
The things he says are missing from the original which will apparently play a part in the remake are actually a fundamental part of the original film's storyline.
Murphy's heartbreak and confusion over his past life and how to deal with what he has become, and losing free will are a massive turning point and even bigger plot devices throughout the entire film.

So, did Padilha actually watch the original or did he just read the synopsis on Wikipedia?
Idiot.

ManOf1000Faces 01-09-13 04:22 PM

No.

The Rodent 01-24-13 12:22 PM

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/2422...robocop-remake

New pic revealed. Apparently this is a prototype RoboCop... which is weird because RoboCop himself was initially a prototype anyway.

Looking at this pic, it also looks like, along with all the other stolen ideas and badly rewritten characters from the original and dodgy original ideas in terms of vehicals seen in my last post, they've now been dipping into the creative department for Halo.

Still not looking forward to this.

McConnaughay 01-24-13 06:56 PM

I'm not excited for the movie, I haven't even seen the original, although, it's on my "To Watch:" list, I just have to get around to it. Nonetheless, I am not raging regarding the look of the new RoboCop, does he look stupid, it's iffy, but he doesn't look any stupider than what he did from the very beginning.

earlsmoviepicks 01-24-13 09:39 PM

The original was so good and campy. Hope they don't get all slick with the new one. Judging by the photos it doesn't seem the case.....:nope:

The Rodent 04-09-13 09:41 AM

Abbie Cornish has said that the new Robocop "kicks ass"... she also says it's going to be a "classic"...

... seeing as she's actually in the film, I won't take that as a guarantee.

Masterman 04-09-13 10:01 AM

I hope this ends up with the same tone as the new Dredd.

The Rodent 04-09-13 10:10 AM

I just hope they don't mess up trying to emulate what Verhoeven and Neumeier did on the original.

But by the look of the rewritten characters and dodgy looking rip-offs of various other franchises, including Halo and Total Recall, Jose Padhilha already has.

It's still a remake that isn't needed. The original RoboCop is just as significant today as it was 25 years ago.

Masterman 04-09-13 10:12 AM

Do any of these films ever need a re-make.

Powdered Water 04-09-13 10:14 AM

Citizen Kane could definitely go for a remake. Or, better yet, they could just melt that thing down completely.

The Rodent 04-09-13 10:17 AM

Some do... some films warrant a remake, especially if the original has such a promising design that wasn't utilised very well... but any Verhoeven film should be left well alone.

Look at Total Recall and Basic Instinct...

They remade Recall, and made a carbon copy of Instinct and marketed it as a sequel. Both films are absolutely abysmal.

Verhoeven is not only original, but he's genuinely talented... and cannot be bettered at what he does best.

Masterman 04-09-13 10:23 AM

Errrmmm what does he do best?.

Hollowman, starship Troopers, basic instinct, Totall recall.... There not exactly classics. Don't get me wrong I enjoy some of his films, but they are not by all means great.

The Rodent 04-09-13 11:32 AM

Soldier Of Orange, Turkish Delight, Spetters, The Fourth Man and Flesh And Blood...

Yeah and the ones you mentioned but ok, they aren't classics in the exact sense of the word but they're better films than anything you could compare them to.

Remaking Verhoeven's work is a fruitless and pointless waste of time, it's impossible to better him.

Cobpyth 04-09-13 11:41 AM

Verhoeven is a god in the Netherlands. I can say that much.

The Rodent 04-09-13 11:42 AM

He's my favourite director. Got 5 of his films in my Top 100... Robocop at #1 as well.

Excellent film maker.

His only slip for me was Showgirls... not keen on that.

Nausicaä 04-09-13 01:05 PM

They remade Recall, and made a carbon copy of Instinct and marketed it as a sequel. Both films are absolutely abysmal.
I enjoyed the new version of Total Recall(extended edition of the film that is better than the original cinema release), I even prefer it to the original Arnie film. I think it's far from abysmal.