Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Comic book movies - can this really last? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=7924)

Agent 0 Zero 07-15-04 09:41 AM

Comic book movies can thid realy last?

Well i dont want to be ranting on but i need to know do you think comic book movies can last, I mean between the messed up story lines, and the hero always winning its starts to get boring like how everyone argues over who going to win the next versus flick its almost like the same movie hero fight bad guy hero wins. any ways i need to know so just vote thanks

Sedai 07-15-04 10:46 AM

Messed story lines? I'm not sure what you mean by that. As for always winning, In X2 there quite a few failures on the part of the team and prof X. Pyro defected, Jean got aced, Prof X failed to help Jason Stryker, which ultimately caused his demise and Gen. Strykers descent into megalomania. The X-men don't always win.

Peter Parker got his uncle killed, and I wouldn't call that a victory.

Please elaborate on "Messed story lines" so I can respond to that. :)

Agent 0 Zero 07-15-04 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai
Messed story lines? I'm not sure what you mean by that. As for always winning, In X2 there quite a few failures on the part of the team and prof X. Pyro defected, Jean got aced, Prof X failed to help Jason Stryker, which ultimately caused his demise and Gen. Strykers descent into megalomania. The X-men don't always win.

sorry typo at my brothers computer hand-me-downs suck anways the (messed up story line)

originaly in the spider-man comics gwen stacy was the women in peters life and they met in college and she was killed by the greengoblin im positive that if that had that happen in the first place i would have been more hooked on it you dont see that sort of thing in a movie now a days
Punishers story was a little messed up aswell and the hulks 2
the closet movie is x-men, blade, screw daredevil. what i mean is that in a comic book the vilian provails once in a while infact it a 50/50 chance that hero coould die and be replaced such when norman osburne came back after being replace by his son and many other as the role of greend goblin. But its always expected of , 1, hero has some tradegy or some great thing happen to every one is the catwoman,spiderman,x-men, blade,daredevil, the hulk,batman, . I just get tired of it a comic book collector my self

what ever happen to heros like captian america, super-man who had nothing bad happen he choose to do his line of work the avengers would make a grand movie if you ask me

Agent 0 Zero 07-15-04 11:40 AM

technicaly in the movie jean survives and is brought back as the phenix or what ever in the next movie do you see how they plan this there going to mess up the industry

Sedai 07-20-04 08:52 PM

Right, Singer has already stated he would like to do The Dark Phoenix Saga, and I am all for it, as I think it is one of the better X-men storylines out there. Jean has died and returned about 6 billion times through-out the history of the comics, so I guess I don't mind of they do it once in the films (OK twice, as Famke has it going on).

As for the whereabouts of Cap and Superman, they are on shelves every month in comic stores, where they have been for decades. There are already four Superman films, I would watch the first, and maybe the second, but that's it. There is another Superman film in the works and here is the latest news just two days old.

And another related piece from 3 days ago....

As to when the hero dies and Norman Osbourne came back after being replaced by his son and many others as the green goblin... Isn't that the villain being replaced? Spiderman is still Peter Parker, correct?

As for tragedies and great things happening to the hero...would you like to see them perhaps have to treat a rough case of athlete's foot or get diarrhea or something? If you mean they all have a tragedy in their life that inspires them to become a hero/villain, the X-men wouldn't fit into this group you have listed, as they are mutants, a product of the next step in the evolution of man.

One of the main underlying themes of the X-men has always been political in it's nature, addressing racism and inequity among humans. Giving the comic a heart so to speak, by addressing real, and relevant human issues. Perhaps I read to deeply into these storylines, but these are professional people creating these pieces of literature, and they have things to say about the state of the world today. That's what I look for in a comic if I am going pay for it. The cool characters and excellent artwork are also factors as well, but the writing is really what I tend to look for...

Anyway, if you are tired of the same 'ol stuff, check out some different books that have vastly different concepts in them. Check out The Watchmen, the deconstruction of the hero stereotype, written by Alan Moore, a sheer genius with mind bending writing ability that hits home.

Also check out Planetary by Warren Ellis, or Grant Morrison's run on New X-men

Agent 0 Zero 07-22-04 04:37 PM

Right, Singer has already stated he would like to do The Dark Phoenix Saga, and I am all for it, as I think it is one of the better X-men storylines out there. Jean has died and returned about 6 billion times through-out the history of the comics, so I guess I don't mind of they do it once in the films (OK twice, as Famke has it going on).

As for the whereabouts of Cap and Superman, they are on shelves every month in comic stores, where they have been for decades. There are already four Superman films, I would watch the first, and maybe the second, but that's it. There is another Superman film in the works and here is the latest news just two days old.

And another related piece from 3 days ago....

As to when the hero dies and Norman Osbourne came back after being replaced by his son and many others as the green goblin... Isn't that the villain being replaced? Spiderman is still Peter Parker, correct?

AOz
Sorry but in the clone saga, Mary jane became pregant and after peter fought off all the clones and ben reily was left, he asked him to take the role of spider-man, but ben was killed by the green goblin and peter had to once again regain the role of spider-man

As for tragedies and great things happening to the hero...would you like to see them perhaps have to treat a rough case of athlete's foot or get diarrhea or something? If you mean they all have a tragedy in their life that inspires them to become a hero/villain, the X-men wouldn't fit into this group you have listed, as they are mutants, a product of the next step in the evolution of man.

AOZ
Technically the x-men do count, but i was only looking at wolverine in the picture here. But now when you think about , rogue, cyclops, almost every one of them has a back story to some tradegy in there life , doesnt even have to be a tradegy , but it has to be something that has inspired them to fight evil. Realy though ranting on isnt going to do anything, and maybe they can last , but im not sure.

One of the main underlying themes of the X-men has always been political in it's nature, addressing racism and inequity among humans. Giving the comic a heart so to speak, by addressing real, and relevant human issues. Perhaps I read to deeply into these storylines, but these are professional people creating these pieces of literature, and they have things to say about the state of the world today. That's what I look for in a comic if I am going pay for it. The cool characters and excellent artwork are also factors as well, but the writing is really what I tend to look for...

Anyway, if you are tired of the same 'ol stuff, check out some different books that have vastly different concepts in them. Check out The Watchmen, the deconstruction of the hero stereotype, written by Alan Moore, a sheer genius with mind bending writing ability that hits home.
AOZ
thanks i will, my Uncle own a shop, ill be sure to look out for them.

Also check out Planetary by Warren Ellis, or Grant Morrison's run on New X-men
AOZ
thank sedai

Richard Hell 07-22-04 05:58 PM

Honestly i think they still can be good, even if the storylines are a little shaken doesnt mean that the movie wont be bad

Sleezy 07-22-04 06:12 PM

To those who have never read a comic book in your lives, read this one. Alan Moore's Watchmen is flawless.

Sinny McGuffins 07-22-04 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Agent 0 Zero
in the spider-man comics gwen stacy was the women in peters life and they met in college and she was killed by the greengoblin im positive that if that had that happen in the first place i would have been more hooked on it you dont see that sort of thing in a movie now a days
Wasn't it Mary Jane first, then Gwen Stacy? Peter met MJ in high school, before collage.

Mr. Blue 07-22-04 06:40 PM

well just like the popularity of super man, batman, and rocky movies died eventually so will the comic book movie thing but it might come back 10 or 15 years after its fall in popularity

When they can put out the special 10th aniversay addition with new scenes in it out in theatres agin

Sinny McGuffins 07-23-04 06:52 PM

Hollywood won't stop until there are no comic book heroe's left. And they'll probably make a hell of a lot of sequels.

Nicholas Cage is doing Ghost Rider, Tome Cruise is doing Ironman, Fantastic Four is in the works, and it won't suprise me if The Silver Surfer, Thor, The Green Lantern, The Flash, Wonder Woman etc. are all made.

Montrose 07-23-04 07:02 PM

I'm waiting for a Modesty Blaise movie to come out!

Sedai 07-24-04 12:57 PM

Excellent rebuttal A0Z...

Sleezy 07-24-04 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Parky
Hollywood won't stop until there are no comic book heroe's left. And they'll probably make a hell of a lot of sequels.
You're right, and it sucks that Hollywood is catching on to how marketable comic-to-film adaptations can be, but I honestly believe there is enough respect out there for the source material to ensure (at least, to some extent) that the really strong comic namesakes are done properly. The Punisher, for example, could translate into a VERY compelling, emotional, dynamic film (much more than the recent effort achieved); so I'm sure someone (probably a film-making fan) will come along and translate The Punisher well. Just because someone else already made it doesn't mean it's off-limits. Same thing with Batman - it's great that someone is taking that name and trying to reinvent it for the cinema, but if Batman Begins fails to impress, someone new will come along and try again.

Holden Pike 07-27-04 02:25 AM

I saw about five minutes of footage from Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino), and it was amazing stuff. Can't hardly wait.

Sedai 07-27-04 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I saw about five minutes of footage from Sin City (Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino), and it was amazing stuff. Can't hardly wait.

Did they give you any idea of a timetable on Sin City?

Holden Pike 07-27-04 11:24 AM

Spring 2005. Sometime between March and May. No firm date yet. They haven't even completely finished filming, as Frank said they still have a few pick-ups and inserts and such to shoot. Then they have to assemble it. It's going to be a great movie, and an even greater DVD. To get three Sin City stories into Sin City the movie, obviously they each had to be cut down a little. But they've shot the entire story for each three, and all that footage will be on the eventual DVD, and you will be able to watch them as three completely seperate 50 or 55-minute movies.

Cool, huh? Wait to you see the still basically raw footage. Mickey Rourke is rising like a phoenix! Damn, did he look amazing!

Sleezy 07-27-04 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Spring 2005. Sometime between March and May. No firm date yet. They haven't even completely finished filming, as Frank said they still have a few pick-ups and inserts and such to shoot. Then they have to assemble it. It's going to be a great movie, and an even grerater DVD. To get three Sin City stories into Sin City the movie, obviously they each had to be cut down a little. But they've shot the entire story for each three, and all that footage will be on the eventual DVD, and you will be able to watch them as three completely seperate 50 or 55-minute movies.

Cool, huh? Wait to you see the still basically raw footage. Mickey Rourke is rising like a phoenix! Damn, did he look amazing!
I can't believe it. I'm actually aroused. :p

surreal 07-27-04 12:31 PM

Comic book movies....they have a LOT in common so far.I often get bored of watching the good guys beat the bad guys-who doesn't.But still...I like X-men :) I can't say the same about Spiderman or Batman.Anyway comic book wrighters are getting out of ideas that's for sure.

V for Vendetta 08-03-04 12:05 AM

read better comics then V

FigNewton 08-05-04 11:51 AM

Im tired of the comicbook movies the hulk shouldn't have been made (or it should have been made a hell of alot beter) along with daredevil. They should just stop the batmans they already screwed tht up enough with there crap story lines!

Sedai 08-05-04 11:57 AM

I thought it was the direction that messed up the Batman films (3 and 4). I agree with you on Hulk and DD but I say keep them coming, just make sure the right crew is on them. Can't wait for X3 (If Singer stays aboard that is).

DexterRiley 01-19-11 07:00 AM

Re: Comic book movies - can this really last?

I'm bumping this older thread, because i came across this image, and felt the mofos that are into the comic books would apprecciate it.

If this isnt the right thread, dear Mods, by all means move it to where it is best suited.

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/xmenfamilytree.jpg

LuDiNaToR 01-19-11 07:19 AM

the image of the family tree..

genesis_pig 01-19-11 07:26 AM

It wasn't loading for me earlier..

I am not much familiar with X-men comics to understand that.

DexterRiley 01-19-11 07:29 AM

I thought i had a pretty good handle on the X-men Universe till i saw this family tree.

it will only get worse now that Angel is being portrayed by a chick in the First Class prequel.

( Ben Foster ..get ready to be ribbed by your friends :D )

genesis_pig 01-19-11 07:51 AM

I will reserve my thoughts for this until I see the trailer...

I am not familiar with most of the characters, Had no idea Nightcrawler had a red skinned father.

icemn 01-19-11 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Agent 0 Zero (Post 171485)
Well i dont want to be ranting on but i need to know do you think comic book movies can last, I mean between the messed up story lines, and the hero always winning its starts to get boring like how everyone argues over who going to win the next versus flick its almost like the same movie hero fight bad guy hero wins. any ways i need to know so just vote thanks
nope its getting tedious now!!!
Superman and Spiderman and maybe Xmen - but its getting out of hand now!!!

i didn't even know about ironman and what the hell is up with the fantastic 4 :O my word that it cr@p!!!!

can someone please make a proper He-man please - that movie in the 90s called The Masters Of the Universe was not too bad (but then i was 10 :D cant really remember) but they can do better that plus that movie didn't only feature He-man etc

Yoda 01-19-11 11:17 AM

So, they should only make movies about superheros you've already heard of?

I'm not sure I've ever purchased a comic book, and I still knew who Iron Man and the Fantastic Four were.

will.15 01-19-11 11:31 AM

"so much blah blah blah :bored: I am saddened by you guys." -- genya

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins (Post 173934)
Wasn't it Mary Jane first, then Gwen Stacy? Peter met MJ in high school, before collage.
I don't know if this has been pointed out elsewhere, but to clarify, Gwen Stacy was first. Mary Jane came along of being hinted at for several months. Gwen's death (kind of at the hands of the Goblin, kind of not) was as important an event in Peter's life as the death of Uncle Ben. Hopefully they get this part right in the reboot.

Yes, comic book movies mess up our favorite stories from the comics, because Hollywood won't film them just as they were presented on the page. They want to mash different stories together, and change things up to make them "less comic-bookie." You just have to enjoy them for what they are, and hope they have the essence of the characters right. Since this thread is like 6 years old, I'm guessing there is still some life left in the comic book movie, though this year might test the limits with the onslaught of them.

Oh, and about that family tree - I read every X-Men comic for years (though it's now been years since I read any) and it's still confusing.

TONGO 01-19-11 01:25 PM

Comic book movies. Thats a much larger scope of material than most realize. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles began as a small independent black and white comic full of gore and was hardly made for young children. Blade wasnt even a comic book but a supporting character in the Tomb Of Dracula series (great run of books there). Heck even the tv series The Walking Dead on AMC was a comic.

Truth be told there are some incredible comics that would be awesome films. The only one that have been made is Sin City, Versus, 300, and Watchmen. The rest of the comic movies just use the characters and 20% of the time get that right. At this point they havent even scratched the surface of great comic adaptations to film, and hollywood will have to get their head out of their ass to realize the true potential.

I heard Hugh Jackmans going to finally go back to basics and the next Wolverine flick will be the 4 part limited series done by Frank Miller in the late 80s. Lets hope they dont fack it up, but theres a 50-50 chance it will be cool as screenplays change daily at times when making a flick. The fact that Frank Millers "Dark Knight Returns" hasnt been made into a film just shows how out of touch the business is to the large source of quality material thats available.

The comic book movies will keep coming as long as they make money. The next big dud will take the a.d.d. decisionmakers (producers) away from comics as a story source material for movies regardless of what classics are untold, unseen, or unheard of.

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 01:45 PM

I wouldn't call TMNT "full of gore." It was kind of violent and showed blood as a result of battles, but there weren't internal organs strewn about or anything. My kids have read my old TMNT comics and the first movie was actually just a mildly toned down mash up of the first dozen or so issues.

Comic book movies is even more far reaching than you've indicated. From Hell was based on a comic book. So were The Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, 30 Days of Night, The Crow, Men in Black, Wanted, Whiteout. The list could almost literally go on and on. Comic book movie is different than super hero movie, even if one term automatically is associated with the other.

(Caveat: I'm not saying those were all good or bad movies, as most of them I have not actually seen, just saying they're based on comics.)

rufnek 01-19-11 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 709429)
I wouldn't call TMNT "full of gore." It was kind of violent and showed blood as a result of battles, but there weren't internal organs strewn about or anything. My kids have read my old TMNT comics and the first movie was actually just a mildly toned down mash up of the first dozen or so issues.

Comic book movies is even more far reaching than you've indicated. From Hell was based on a comic book. So were The Road to Perdition, American Splendor, Ghost World, 30 Days of Night, The Crow, Men in Black, Wanted, Whiteout. The list could almost literally go on and on. Comic book movie is different than super hero movie, even if one term automatically is associated with the other.

(Caveat: I'm not saying those were all good or bad movies, as most of them I have not actually seen, just saying they're based on comics.)

Last comic I think I read was Sgt. Rock back in the '50s. There are many like me who don't keep up with the comics. For instance, I didn't know Road to Perdition or Men in Black (the only 2 of those films I've seen) were based on comic books, but that sort of puts those films in perspective for me. I think MIB probably worked best because it stuck with the outlandish imaginations possible in comic books. I enjoyed the first Batman, who was a comic hero even when I was a boy, primarily because of Jack Nicholson's performance. But I disliked Superman from the start.

Most of the other comic heros y'all mentioned came in their current forms long after I gave up reading comics, so they just don't interest me.

genesis_pig 01-19-11 03:20 PM

I have always hated Superman as a comic.. The movies were okay.
But i love Christopher Reeve as Superman, he made the role special.

Someone suggested me to read All Star Superman, & my whole POV on Superman has changed... I recommend the book to all.

I don't care about the adaptations of mainstream comics, cos they always seem to re-adapt it.
But it's the lesser known comics that concern me..

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 709428)
Blade wasnt even a comic book but a supporting character in the Tomb Of Dracula series (great run of books there).
Actually, you are wrong. Tomb of Dracula #10 was his first appearance. But, Blade did have his own comic book ... Blade: The Vampire Hunter. He was also one of the 3 main characters in the comic book ... Nightstalkers.

will.15 01-19-11 04:58 PM

Gwenn Stacy or Mary Jane, who came first?

I think it is a little confusing. I'm doing this without researching, purely from memory, so I could be wrong.

Gwen Stacy was not in Parker's high school I don't think, but was introduced in college. She didn't like him. Mary Jane dated Parker first, but not seriously. Then Gwen and Parker became an item. Stacey died and MJ was back in the picture.

linespalsy 01-19-11 05:06 PM

I think Betty Brant dated him briefly first, followed by Gwen Stacy. Not sure when Mary Jane came in as a serious love interest. Why do you ask?

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709467)
Gwenn Stacy or Mary Jane, who came first?
Mary Jane came first, only a few months before Gwen.

First Appearances:
Mary Jane (Amazing Spider-Man #25, June 1965)
Gwen (Amazing Spider-Man #31, December 1965)

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 709469)
I think Betty Brant dated him briefly first, followed by Gwen Stacy. Not sure when Mary Jane came in as a serious love interest.
If we are going by only who Spiderman dated. It would be ... Mary Jane --> Gwen --> Betty ---> Mary Jane. Betty Brant appeared before both Gwen & Mary Jane though (Amazing Spider-Man #4, September 1963).

linespalsy 01-19-11 05:10 PM

I could be miss-remembering this but I think Mary Jane started as kind of a set-up/blind date thing by Aunt May and friends of the family (?) but didn't amount to anything until later on. Probably after Gwen given that 5-issue time-frame.

will.15 01-19-11 05:14 PM

Betty Briant was around quite a while. But I never quite figured out how old she was. She appeared to be Jameson's full time secreatary, but Parker was still in high school. Was she older?

I looked up the chronolgy and it is MJ before Stacy as far as dating, but Stacy introduced first. Apparently she was attracted to him from the start, but in typical early Marvel style she found him aloof when she made a pass at him as Parker was worried about sick Aunt May again and didn't notice.

I wasn't asking. Someone else was earlier.

Dating MJ was casual. Gwen more serious. MJ and Parker heated up after Gwen died.

Aunt May had been trying to fix him up with Mary Jane a long time and figuring she was dog city tried to avoid it. When he finally met her she said, "Face it, tiger, you just hit the jackpot!"

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 709473)
I could be miss-remembering this but I think Mary Jane started as kind of a set-up/blind date thing by Aunt May and friends of the family (?) but didn't amount to anything until later on. Probably after Gwen given that 5-issue time-frame.
Yes, MJ was a blind-date, the daughter or granddaughter (I don't remember exactly) of a friend of Aunt May. Peter tried to avoid meeting her forever, resulting in the famous "Face it Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!" reveal. It was still several years before Gwen died and romance really blossomed between the two.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 709473)
That is correct ... Aunt May was always mentioning he should meet "That nice Watson girl next door."

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709474)
I looked up the chronolgy and it is MJ before Stacy as far as dating, but Stacy introduced first.
Huh? I already listed the first appearances (it is MJ before Gwen) ... unless time went backwards in the '60s.

will.15 01-19-11 05:31 PM

Romita first drew MJ.

Ditko first drew Gwen Stacy.

Romita replaced Ditko so Gwen must be first.

Her name may appear before Gwen becuse Aunt May was trying to fix him up for a long time. But she makes her first appearance after Gwen.

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 05:40 PM

I think the sticking point here is who he dated first. Gwen was introduced first, but Peter kind of ignored her initially. He tried to avoid be set up with MJ for a long time. I'm not sure which he actually went out with first, but Gwen was definitely Peter's first meaningful relationship. His romance with MJ didn't start until a long time after Gwen's death.

Harry Lime 01-19-11 05:44 PM

Wow, you guys are super nerds.

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime (Post 709481)
Wow, you guys are super nerds.
Well, someone has to be, or you normal people wouldn't have anyone to make fun of. :D

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709479)
Romita first drew MJ.

Ditko first drew Gwen Stacy.

Romita replaced Ditko so Gwen must be first.

Regardless of who drew who ... Mary Jane appeared in comics before Gwen. The only argument you can make is that you don't except the first appearance because her face wasn't shown. Both appearances were drawn by Romita though. So, I'm not sure how who drew who effects any of this. I mean hell, for all we really know Stan Lee could have made a doodle of both Mary Jane & Gwen before both Romita & Ditko. But the first drawings don't always mean the first appearances.

will.15 01-19-11 05:53 PM

He didn't meet her until after Gwen. She was around in a pane or two with Aunt May i think with her face not shown. We were talking about when he actually met MJ and it was after Gwen.

genesis_pig 01-19-11 05:54 PM

Gwen Stacy
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #31

Mary Jane Watson
Notes:
First cameoed in Amazing Spider-Man #25. First full appearance in ASM #42. Should be used for appearances before her marriage to Peter Parker and after the "One More Day" storyline.
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #25

Source: http://www.comicbookdb.com

Harry Lime 01-19-11 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 709482)
Well, someone has to be, or you normal people wouldn't have anyone to make fun of. :D
Oh, I'm far from normal.

Loner 01-19-11 06:01 PM

http://dealbreaker.com/_old/images/e...book%20guy.jpg

I've spent my entire life doing nothing but collecting comic books... and now there's only time to say... LIFE WELL SPENT!

will.15 01-19-11 06:03 PM

Peter Parker didn't meet Gwen Stacy until after Mary Jane. She appears without her face shown in a few panels by Ditko as Aunt May is trying to set them up, but Parker is not in the panel.

We were talking about when he first met which girl, not when a faceless Mj appeared.

If you are saying Romita first drew Gwen Stacy, you are wrong. I just looked at Ditko art with Stacy. Ditko was artist on Spiderman until he quit Marvel. MJ first met Peter at the end of a two part Goblin story that was the first Romita drew.

We are super nerds, aren't we?

genesis_pig 01-19-11 06:10 PM

I can be a supernerd sometimes.. but not so much in detail.
Besides I hate Spiderman.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709484)
He didn't meet her until after Gwen. She was around in a pane or two with Aunt May i think with her face not shown. We were talking about when he actually met MJ and it was after Gwen.
That is correct her face wasn't shown in her first appearance, but it's still her first appearance.

I'm so confused ... First appearance / first met / first dated ... which one do you want?

First Appearances: Mary Jane then Gwen
First Meetings: Gwen then Mary Jane
First Dated: Mary Jane then Gwen then Mary Jane again. (Their first time dating wasn't serious).

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709489)
We are super nerds, aren't we?
Yes, yet this was possibly the most invigorating discussion I will take part in this week.

will.15 01-19-11 06:16 PM

Beats debating who caused the bank crisis.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709484)
Peter Parker didn't meet Gwen Stacy until after Mary Jane. She appears without her face shown in a few panels by Ditko as Aunt May is trying to set them up, but Parker is not in the panel.

LMFAO! Which is it? ... you're getting yourself confused.

If you are saying Romita first drew Gwen Stacy, you are wrong.
Not saying that at all ... I may not have explained it well though.

will.15 01-19-11 06:18 PM

I mistyped the second one.

will.15 01-19-11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 709492)
I can be a supernerd sometimes.. but not so much in detail.
Besides I hate Spiderman.
I was there. I read most of those early ones although I preferred DC in general. Spiderman back then was easily the best Marvel book.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709499)
I mistyped the second one.
Okay ... I figured it was something like that. You are correct on your first one about meetings though. I swear, Peter Parker's love life is more complicated than a soap opera.

MadMikeyD 01-19-11 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by will.15 (Post 709501)
I was there. I read most of those early ones although I preferred DC in general. Spiderman back then was easily the best Marvel book.
I have no such excuse. I'm just a super nerd. At least my kids will likely escape that label. My 17 year old asked me yesterday, "who's William Shatner?" Either we've done a good job there, or a horrible one, I'm undecided as to which.

linespalsy 01-19-11 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by D34DT0Y (Post 709502)
Okay ... I figured it was something like that. You are correct on your first one about meetings though. I swear, Peter Parker's love life is more complicated than a soap opera.
That's because it is basically a soap opera with radioactive mutation thrown in. That's pretty much the marvel formula, exhaustively convoluted but shallow continuity with romance between hot people, and plot twists.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 709504)
That's pretty much the marvel formula, exhaustively convoluted but shallow continuity with romance between hot people, and plot twists.
Sounds like real life to me. :up:

genesis_pig 01-19-11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by linespalsy (Post 709504)
That's because it is basically a soap opera with radioactive mutation thrown in. That's pretty much the marvel formula, exhaustively convoluted but shallow continuity with romance between hot people, and plot twists.
That was the biggest problem I had with the Spiderman movies.

I have always loved Thor, Silver Surfer, Hulk & Captain America as characters.. Don't care about the rest of the Marvel characters..
I like Ditko's run on Dr. Strange, only ended up reading it after Tom Wolfe mentioned it in Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

I prefer reading specific storylines from the mainstream comics rather than reading all the issues.

Marvel did have some nice titles decades ago, like:

ROM the space Knight.
Warlock
Dreadstar

& my all time favorite 'NAM.

will.15 01-19-11 06:51 PM

Spiderman got more soap operaish after Ditko left. It had a more realistic feel under him as the focus was less on Parker's romantic life and more on his hellish high school existence and need for money with Aunt May having a heart attack every three or four months. Once Parker went to college, even under Ditko, the tone became less grim as PP became less of a loser. I liked that at the time, but in retrospect it took a lot of the edge and distinctiveness away from the series. Romita was known primarily then for drawing romance comics so his style influenced the direction the series went.

D34DT0Y 01-19-11 06:59 PM

I'd say Ditko was the critics favorite, but Romita was more popular. At the time though ... I never thought about who was drawing or writing the comic books. It just wasn't important to me as a child. I simply loved the Marvel characters.

linespalsy 01-19-11 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by genesis_pig (Post 709506)
That was the biggest problem I had with the Spiderman movies.

I have always loved Thor, Silver Surfer, Hulk & Captain America as characters.. Don't care about the rest of the Marvel characters..
I like Ditko's run on Dr. Strange, only ended up reading it after Tom Wolfe mentioned it in Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

I prefer reading specific storylines from the mainstream comics rather than reading all the issues.

Marvel did have some nice titles decades ago, like:

ROM the space Knight.
Warlock
Dreadstar

& my all time favorite 'NAM.
the soap-opera factor is probably where the initial appeal was for me in the first place and then paradoxically the reason for losing interest in super-hero comics. it was the same with manga and most tv shows, really. after a while it just gets to be "i'm only still reading this because of the commitment of watching the previous 500 episodes" and then by the end it's almost inevitably "that's it?" With Marvel it's even worse because there's no real cohesion between the various writers/artists/editors the story passes through and there is no end, just a beginning and an interminable middle. I can see the appeal of just following certain runs (I enjoy the Sienkiewicz run of New Mutants) but it's really hard to extricate that from what came before and after in the story, which is *****. I'll take the novelistic/movie form any day. That's why Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen (and especially Miller/Sienkiewicz's Elektra) work. They imply and draw from a larger cosmology without relying directly on it, you can read them without caring who the heck Batman or Daredevil are, in the franchise.

With manga my rule of thumb now is to just not read anything that runs over 10-volumes long, with a few exceptions (that may sound long but you can usually read 200 pages of a manga in around a half of an hour). When I read superhero comics now (which is really rare) it's usually just to look at the art.

I tried reading one of those volumes of early Spider Man stories several years ago but the melodramatic Stan Lee-isms killed it for me pretty fast.

Caption: "Spider Man swings towards the open window and..." Thought Balloon: "I must make it through that open window" Picture: Spider Man swinging towards an open window.

DexterRiley 01-26-11 04:00 AM

So once upon a time there was a guy that liked comics, and he also was into Vespas, and wanted to somehow combine his 2 loves.

http://www.rincontatuajes.com/uploadimagen/64.jpg

lol

Odyssey 01-26-11 07:17 AM

6 year + bump Dexter, solid effort.

will.15 01-27-11 12:13 AM

When are they going to make movie of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl and their nemesis, Spider Lady (if Marvel doesn't sue)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FELZEaT7ew

DexterRiley 01-27-11 01:05 AM

katey Perry was born to play that role.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_30PRmkOl4r...grammys_00.jpg