Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Quote of the Day (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=3998)

Austruck 03-26-03 03:05 PM

Quote of the Day

Quote of the day....(source unknown)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white man, the best golfer is a black man, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance, and the Germans don't want to go to war!"

Sir Toose 03-26-03 03:25 PM

That's absolutely poetic.

thank you, maam.

Aniko 03-26-03 04:27 PM

:laugh:

Caitlyn 03-26-03 04:33 PM

Thanks... I needed that... :laugh:

nebbit 03-27-03 03:35 AM

quote of the day

Thats good, but what if the English were pronounced the chefs of the world thats all we need.

No offence to the English, both my parents and Brother came from England. :laugh:

fascistpig 03-27-03 05:44 AM

The English would never make good chefs!

It is a well-known fact (at least to fascist pigs such as myself) that the English are all homosexuals! As such, the English would never make good chefs because they are too busy screwing each other!

To be a good chef, you have to have to like food. A pig like me likes food. However, I could never make a good chef because though I like to eat (being a fascist pig), I lack the culinary sensitivity and taste to make a good chef. So, I guess, I have to settle for lying back on the couch and stuffing myself silly with junk food while watching sitcoms on TV!

My favorite quote, by the way, is: "I am not a crook" - Richard Nixon.

Revenge of Mr M 03-27-03 06:43 AM

If you have nothing good to say, don't say nothing at all

jrs 03-28-03 12:50 AM

"Treat those the way you would like to be treated"

Nikki 03-28-03 07:58 AM

There is one post in this thread that I'm just going to say....

:eek: ......OMGGGGGGG.....

hmmmmmmm.......something is going to hit the fan.......

:yup:

Caitlyn 03-29-03 04:26 PM

Quote of the day....(source unknown)

"You know the world's gone mad when the best rapper is a white man, the best golfer is a black man, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the USA of arrogance, and the Germans don't want to go to war!"

I read the other day that Charles Barkley originally said that…

A friend of mine sent me this and I thought I would share:

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying that,

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

Austruck 03-29-03 06:37 PM

Oh, that one is wonderful. Thanks for posting it. Amen to Powell's comments.

nebbit 03-30-03 12:10 AM

I like Cailtin's foot note

Not all those who wander are lost.....Tolkien
:D

Django 03-30-03 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Caitlyn

I read the other day that Charles Barkley originally said that…

A friend of mine sent me this and I thought I would share:

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building by George Bush. He answered by saying that,

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
Caitlyn, I really respect and admire the fact that you have high, noble ideals. That's fantastic. However, I think you need to be aware of the fact that ideals can be manipulated by people who have no personal scruples or interests other than the profit margin. It's wonderful to have high ideals, but, I think, it isn't so wonderful to be naive in one's idealism.

Take it easy.

Yoda 03-30-03 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Django
Caitlyn, I really respect and admire the fact that you have high, noble ideals. That's fantastic. However, I think you need to be aware of the fact that ideals can be manipulated by people who have no personal scruples or interests other than the profit margin. It's wonderful to have high ideals, but, I think, it isn't so wonderful to be naive in one's idealism.
Huh? She said nothing to imply that her ideals are naive. In fact, I'd venture to say she's as far removed from naive as just about anyone here. I don't think you realize just how condescending the above paragraph is. Perhaps you forget that, though naivete is bad, so is pessimism to the point of paranoia in regards to one's leaders.

Her ideals are high and noble, indeed, and I'm proud to call them my own as well. FYI: if it seems like I'm targetting you for disagreement, it's because you routinely say things I disagree with.

Django 03-31-03 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Yoda

Huh? She said nothing to imply that her ideals are naive. In fact, I'd venture to say she's as far removed from naive as just about anyone here. I don't think you realize just how condescending the above paragraph is. Perhaps you forget that, though naivete is bad, so is pessimism to the point of paranoia in regards to one's leaders.

Her ideals are high and noble, indeed, and I'm proud to call them my own as well. FYI: if it seems like I'm targetting you for disagreement, it's because you routinely say things I disagree with.
Okay, Yoda, you have said a number of things above that are flat-out untrue. a) I am being not at all condescending in my statements above. All I'm trying to do is point out that noble though Caitlyn's ideals are, she might be unaware of just how low politicians can sink in manipulating idealism to their advantage. b) I am in no way being pessimistic or paranoid. On the contrary, I am one of the most optimistic and realistic people I know. I'm just being very, very skeptical about the motives behind the current administration. Given what I know about George W. Bush and his comrades, you would have to do a lot (and I do mean a lot) to convince me that he is acting out of idealistic concerns himself. I'm glad that you have high and noble ideals too. I, too, believe in freedom and democracy. And I love those ideals. However, there is no way that I would allow myself to be manipulated by cynical, ruthless, mercenary politicians like those in the current administration. Yoda, if you are so supportive of the Bush administration, I wonder what you would have said about the Nixon administration! Would you have silenced critics of the Nixon administration the same way that you refute everything I say?

Yoda 03-31-03 01:37 AM

a) I am being not at all condescending in my statements above. All I'm trying to do is point out that noble though Caitlyn's ideals are, she might be unaware of just how low politicians can sink in manipulating idealism to their advantage.
...yes, I know that's what you're trying to point out. That's condescending. She'd have to be remarkably sheltered to be unaware of the fact that politicans are at times very self-interested.

Given what I know about George W. Bush and his comrades
Your unsubtle jab would be clever if Bush has exhibited even minor communistic tendencies. However, he hasn't.

you would have to do a lot (and I do mean a lot) to convince me that he is acting out of idealistic concerns himself
I wouldn't bother to try much. You will not be convinced.

However, there is no way that I would allow myself to be manipulated by cynical, ruthless, mercenary politicians like those in the current administration.
There you go again: those who support Bush are being "manipulated." In other words, he's fooling us. Again, condescending. I doubt you do it conciously. But you do do it...make no mistake about that.

Yoda, if you are so supportive of the Bush administration, I wonder what you would have said about the Nixon administration! Would you have silenced critics of the Nixon administration the same way that you refute everything I say?
Why would you wonder about that? The two are completely different. What you're saying is "you're defending a politican. I wonder if that means you would defend this other politican!" The answer: no. The question: silly.

Yoda 03-31-03 01:43 AM

I'd also add that I can't see any real link between what you're ranting about and the quote Caitlyn posted. Powell's words were not just eloquent, but completely valid. Yet your response insinuates disagreement.

It's as if you feel the need to add a "but" to every pro-American statement.

nebbit 03-31-03 01:48 AM

'My Nerves could do use a drink'

Grace Kelly: To Catch a Thief:)

nebbit 03-31-03 01:50 AM

Sorry, It is.

'My Nerves could use a drink': :D

Django 03-31-03 02:07 AM

...yes, I know that's what you're trying to point out. That's condescending. She'd have to be remarkably sheltered to be unaware of the fact that politicans are at times very self-interested.
I didn't in the least imply that Caitlyn has led a sheltered life. All I'm saying is that sometimes politicians can be very expert at concealing their true motives behind a show of patriotism and idealism. It can be so convincing as to fool even the most hardened skeptic, sometimes. I'm just trying to point out that anyone can be taken in by the hollow rhetoric and advertising--even the best of us (more often than not).

Your unsubtle jab would be clever if Bush has exhibited even minor communistic tendencies. However, he hasn't.
Now what do I say to that! :rolleyes: LOL! Communistic tendencies??? Do you think I'd be comparing Bush to Nixon if I believed he exhibited communistic tendencies? Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words on my part. Should I use "crew"? "colleagues"? "party"? You tell me!

I wouldn't bother to try much. You will not be convinced.
Try me!

There you go again: those who support Bush are being "manipulated." In other words, he's fooling us. Again, condescending. I doubt you do it conciously. But you do do it...make no mistake about that.
Well... yeah. I do think the Bushies are being seriously manipulated. But I don't think it's condescending on my part to point that out. Actually, in the wake of 9/11, it's very understandable. Perhaps that's why it takes a guy like me--someone external to the American cultural milieu in my origins--to point out just how manipulative the administration can be!

Why would you wonder about that? The two are completely different. What you're saying is "you're defending a politican. I wonder if that means you would defend this other politican!" The answer: no. The question: silly.
I would argue that Dubya carries with him the legacy of the Nixon administration. The two are very, very similar! I was trying to draw an analogy between the two politicians. What I was trying to say was that you are so supportive of the current Bush administration, suggesting that I am paranoid and pessimistic to be critical of its policies, what would you have said were I to be voicing a similar criticism of the policies of the Nixon (or Johnson) administration, esp. pertaining to the Vietnam War?

Django 03-31-03 02:12 AM

I'd also add that I can't see any real link between what you're ranting about and the quote Caitlyn posted. Powell's words were not just eloquent, but completely valid. Yet your response insinuates disagreement.

It's as if you feel the need to add a "but" to every pro-American statement.
a) I'm not ranting
b) Look a little more closely and you'll see the link
c) Powell's words were admirable, but, in the context of the current war, they are more than a little ironic and tragic
d) My response insinuates skepticism regarding the idealism voiced by Powell--not that I believe Powell to be less than admirable, but with respect to the administration as a whole and, in particular, President Bush.
e) My intention is, in no way, to contradict every pro-American statement! If you read through my posts, you will find that I have made numerous pro-American posts myself. It seems to me that you are insinuating that I am anti-American--that's just plain ludicrous. My purpose is to voice my deep skepticism with respect to the policies of the current administration. That's all.

Django 03-31-03 02:13 AM

Originally posted by nebbit
'My Nerves could do use a drink'

Grace Kelly: To Catch a Thief:)
You said it, man! :yup:

r3port3r66 03-31-03 02:18 AM

"When you argue with a fool, remember he is doing the same."

--Chinese Proverb

Django 03-31-03 02:23 AM

Okay, what're you implying here? :mad:

r3port3r66 03-31-03 02:33 AM

What?! It's my "Quote of the Day". After all that is the title of this thread isn't it? Of course, your being angry means I may have touched a nerve. Sorry.

Django 03-31-03 02:51 AM

A very strategically place "quote of the day". If you are suggesting that my words are foolish, then explain yourself!

Caitlyn 03-31-03 02:54 AM

a) I am being not at all condescending in my statements above. All I'm trying to do is point out that noble though Caitlyn's ideals are, she might be unaware of just how low politicians can sink in manipulating idealism to their advantage.
Django… let me set you straight on something… I am half Tsalagi… if you don’t know what that is… look it up and then come back here and tell me if there is any possible way I could be naïve enough not to know how low some politicians can sink…

Powell's words were admirable, but, in the context of the current war, they are more than a little ironic and tragic.
There are many things I could say to you… but my Enisi taught me never to scalp an unarmed opponent…

BTW... r66, I like your quote... :D

r3port3r66 03-31-03 03:06 AM

Django please...that is not what the quote means.

Django 03-31-03 03:07 AM

Well, Caitlyn, I would think you would be in a position to appreciate my sentiments all the more! How in God's name could you possibly support the belligerent policies of the current administration?

Django 03-31-03 03:11 AM

Originally posted by r3port3r66
Django please...that is not what the quote means.
Well, maybe I'm just not smart enough to understand what it means! Maybe you could do me the favor of explaining what, exactly, it means! :confused: :indifferent:

Caitlyn 03-31-03 03:21 AM

Well, Caitlyn, I would think you would be in a position to appreciate my sentiments all the more! How in God's name could you possibly support the belligerent policies of the current administration?

And I would ask you why you would deny the people of Iraq the same thing you apparently came to America in search of…

r3port3r66 03-31-03 03:28 AM

If you're not smart enough to figure it out, then what would be the use of me explaining it to you?

You know, I think your views are much needed. I can see a lot of what you're saying. But Yoda's views are just as important and I think he represents his position very well too. Now if you go back and forth long enough with each other, you end up doing nobody any good and your leadership gets lost among your voices. Therefore it is sort of foolish to argue among yourselves for so long when your messages are clearly meant for different masses.

Also, you kind of scare me. You seem to get angry very quickly.

Django 03-31-03 03:29 AM

And I would ask you why you would deny the people of Iraq the same thing you apparently came to America in search of…
With all due respect, Caitlyn, that's a gross oversimplification of the situation!

Django 03-31-03 03:35 AM

If you're not smart enough to figure it out, then what would be the use of me explaining it to you?

You know, I think your views are much needed. I agree with a lot of what you say. But Yoda's views are just as important and I think he represents his position very well too. Now if you go back and forth long enough with each other, you end up doing nobody any good and your leadership gets lost among your voices. Therefore it is sort of foolish to argue among yourselves for so long when your messages are clearly meant for different masses.

Also, you kind of scare me. You seem to get angry very quickly.
Hey, those are words that Yoda needs to hear, not me! I've been trying to avoid argument all this while. I finally decided to take on Yoda's gauntlet after he has been slapping me in the face with it for quite awhile. Also, I didn't mean to scare you! I guess I just got a little touchy after debating with the esteemed Yoda and his profound intellect! Sorry! :D

Caitlyn 03-31-03 03:35 AM

With all due respect, Caitlyn, that's a gross oversimplification of the situation!

No… it’s not a gross oversimplification of the situation… it’s a simple question…

Django 03-31-03 03:42 AM

Caitlyn, you're talking about ideals, I'm referring to politics. Not the same thing at all. Like I said above, politicians use ideals and idealism to justify their agenda. Their agenda is seldom what they would want you to believe. It's a complex issue and I, sadly, don't have the time to go into it in depth right now, but I hope I have got the point across.

Caitlyn 03-31-03 03:47 AM

Caitlyn, you're talking about ideals, I'm referring to politics. Not the same thing at all. Like I said above, politicians use ideals and idealism to justify their agenda. Their agenda is seldom what they would want you to believe. It's a complex issue and I, sadly, don't have the time to go into it in depth right now, but I hope I have got the point across.

All I did was ask you a simple question but I am not at all surprised that you don’t have the time nor the inclination to answer it...

nebbit 03-31-03 04:09 AM

"Let there be dancing in the streets, drinking in the saloons, and necking in the parlor.

Groucho Marx : A night at the Opera.:)

Django 03-31-03 04:29 AM

All I did was ask you a simple question but I am not at all surprised that you don’t have the time nor the inclination to answer it...
Ah, Caitlyn, Caitlyn! It's not that I don't have the time or inclination! It's just that a message board is just not the place for that kind of a discussion. If you ever drop by San Francisco, I'd be glad to take you out for a drink or dinner and explain it to you in depth, but it just wouldn't be the same on a message board! :)

nebbit 03-31-03 04:33 AM

Now my nerves really need a drink:yup:

Django 03-31-03 05:26 AM

:modest: ;D

nebbit 03-31-03 06:21 AM

So now does anyone have a quote of the day please.:rolleyes:

Yoda 03-31-03 09:45 AM

1 - I maintain that it was condescending. You'd have to be hopelessly naive, or hopelessly immature, to not realize the things you say she "perhaps" does not realize.

2 - I find it a little hard to believe you don't know that "comrade" was the friend synonym of choice for communists and is often used as a slight in situations like these.

3 - If you want to argue about the war, post in one of the war threads again and you'll be met with much debate. But this thread serves another purpose.

4 - If you can't see how claiming that everyone who disagrees with you is just being fooled and manipulated is condescending, then there's no way I'll be able to explain it to you.

5 - Dubya does not carry Nixon's "legacy" in any way whatsoever. They're not similar, either. That's patently ridiculous and merely repeating it does not constitute a genuine "link."

Austruck 03-31-03 09:50 AM

Well, now I'm certainly glad I started this thread.... :rolleyes:

Yoda 03-31-03 09:55 AM

Ah, Caitlyn, Caitlyn! It's not that I don't have the time or inclination! It's just that a message board is just not the place for that kind of a discussion.
"Fear not those who argue but those who dodge."
-- Dale Carnegie

If you ever drop by San Francisco, I'd be glad to take you out for a drink or dinner and explain it to you in depth, but it just wouldn't be the same on a message board! :)
"Arguing is really saying, "If you were really more like me, then I could like you better.'"
-- Wayne Dyer

Caitlyn 03-31-03 12:26 PM

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~ John Stuart Mill

r3port3r66 03-31-03 12:58 PM

"What distinguishes war, is not that man is slain, but that he is slain, spoiled, crushed by the cruelty, the injustice, the treachery, the murderous hand of man."
--William Ellery Channing

"A bad peace is even worse than war"
--Tacitus

Steve 03-31-03 02:22 PM

I'm sorry I missed the Django-Caitlyn conflict here earlier, as I have disagreements with both of them & it would be interesting to watch them go at each others' throats. But I digress.

5 - Dubya does not carry Nixon's "legacy" in any way whatsoever. They're not similar, either. That's patently ridiculous and merely repeating it does not constitute a genuine "link."
I like that even though you have firm allegiances to your party, you still recognize a tool when you see one. Nixon sucked, Nixon the movie sucked, and Henry Kissinger isn't in Bush's cabinet. Which makes me agree with you, 100%. Hooray.

Now, enough foreplay:

Fiat justitia - ruat caelum. "Let justice be done, though heaven falls."

Yoda 03-31-03 07:45 PM

*can't resist entering another float in the quote parade*

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-- GK Chesterton

(former signature of mine.)

Django 03-31-03 09:22 PM

I'm sorry, but I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, NOTHING justifies war--not "moral decay" or any of the other high-sounding rhetorical sound-bites you are flinging at me. Basically, it's easy enough for us to justify war when we are comfortably cushioned in our suburban homes far, far away from the war and watching it all on TV like some bad action movie. Dubya is out of is bloomin' mind, is all I can say. He is playing with human lives as if they were chess pieces and he is so obviously using the war against Iraq for his own personal political ends, it isn't funny. Again, it's easy enough to voice ideals and patriotic rhetoric to justify and rationalize a totally unjustified war when you are far away from the war itself--not so easy when you are in the thick of it, witnessing human brutality--the ugliness of war--firsthand. And believe me, it doesn't get much uglier than war, however "justifiable" that war may be or however expertly you may rationalize it. Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about! :yup:

Yoda 03-31-03 09:32 PM

I'm sorry, but I disagree with all of you. In my opinion, NOTHING justifies war
Please tell me you're not advocating utter pacifism.

Basically, it's easy enough for us to justify war when we are comfortably cushioned in our suburban homes far, far away from the war and watching it all on TV like some bad action movie.
Not half as easy as preaching peace at all costs when YOU don't have a brutal dictator with a penchant for dipping your friends in acid living next door.

When you're dealing with a mass-murderer, more people die under peace than war. Why can't you understand that? It's simple logic.

Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about! :yup:
Nope, no condescenion there.

r3port3r66 03-31-03 09:33 PM

My quotes are from people who haved lived and learned through war, making them wise enough for me to interpret their findings.

Django, you can't stop the consequences from happening now. It's too late. Please, take your passion and figure out how you can use that to mold the future. It's much too late to argue about things that are already in progress.

Django 03-31-03 09:45 PM

Please tell me you're not advocating utter pacifism.
No, I'm not advocating utter pacifism. War is, sometimes, a necessary evil, but nothing justifies war. You may rationalize the war you are fighting how you wish--every side does--but, in the end, nothing really justifies war.

Not half as easy as preaching peace at all costs when YOU don't have a brutal dictator with a penchant for dipping your friends in acid living next door.
Oh, give me a break! :rolleyes: "Living next door"? Like where? On the opposite side of the globe?

When you're dealing with a mass-murderer, more people die under peace than war. Why can't you understand that? It's simple logic..
No, it's not simple logic. It's more hollow rhetoric.

Nope, no condescenion there.
No condescension from me, at least! I am never condescending towards anybody. However, I look around me right now and I see a WHOLE lot of people being condescending towards ME! So, please, no more of this garbage accusing me of condescension! I can only take so much of it!

Django 03-31-03 10:02 PM

My quotes are from people who haved lived and learned through war, making them wise enough for me to interpret their findings.
Oh, really? But have you actually fought in a war yourself? Or, for that matter, have any of the people you are quoting actually fought in war themselves? It's one thing to live through a war, in the sense that other people fight the war while you sit back and enjoy the show. It's a very different thing to be in Baghdad right now with shells falling all around you, while you happen to be just another innocent civilian caught in the crossfire--just another statistic, another casualty of war. Then you turn on the TV and you see politicians in a distant land speaking in a foreign language blandly justifying and rationalizing the war you are currently in, after which, they return to their comfortable homes in their comfortable limousines and carry on with their comfortable lives, while the entire city you used to call home has been torn to the ground in an attempt, supposedly, to liberate you from your oppressive government which, apparently, happens to constitute a threat to the stability of the civilized world. PLEASE try quoting your quotes to the people who are actually INVOLVED in this war--the citizens of Iraq, the allied soldiers, the journalists covering the war, the relatives of MIA soldiers, etc. Your words are wasted on the likes of me! It doesn't really affect me in the least--no more than it does any of you!

Django, you can't stop the consequences from happening now. It's too late. Please, take your passion and figure out how you can use that to mold the future. It's much too late to argue about things that are already in progress.
Well, all I can say is that I did my best! So it didn't make much of a difference, perhaps. But at least I followed my conscience. Some day, perhaps, George W. Bush will be called upon to answer to his conscience. I would be interested in hearing his side of the story when the time comes. That's all I have to say on this issue.

By the way, if you happen to be a fan of George W. Bush, do check out this link: http://www.whitehouse.org/administration/georgew.asp! That's especially for those of you so convinced about Bush's high moral idealism, etc. (Of course, this is intended to be tongue-in-cheek, so I hope I don't get lambasted by the hard-core Republicans in here!)

Otherwise, take it easy! :D

Yoda 03-31-03 10:07 PM

No, I'm not advocating utter pacifism. War is, sometimes, a necessary evil, but nothing justifies war. You may rationalize the war you are fighting how you wish--every side does--but, in the end, nothing really justifies war.
You're contradicting yourself. By definition, if it cannot be justified, then it's not really necessary.

"Living next door"? Like where? On the opposite side of the globe?
You're misunderstanding. You live in a country of peace and freedom. The Iraqi people do not. You say it's easy for us to sit and justify the war. I say it's easy for you to justify standing idle, because you're not the one being oppressed.

No, it's not simple logic. It's more hollow rhetoric.
Pot, kettle, black, etc. Cait asked you a direct question, you danced around it. I've asked you for evidence in the past, and you've failed to provide it. Your excuse of a lack of time doesn't appear to hold water, either.

I am never condescending towards anybody.
"Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!"

Austruck 03-31-03 10:11 PM

Ahhh, as I said before, I'm so glad I started this thread. :rolleyes:

When I said "Quote of the Day," I didn't mean for everyone to start quoting EACH OTHER.

Sheesh.

sunfrog 03-31-03 10:16 PM

http://www.whitehouse.org/administra...s/georgew3.jpg

Don't leave Django! I love you! :love: :love:
Why Bush sucks part 2

Django 03-31-03 10:19 PM

You're contradicting yourself. By definition, if it cannot be justified, then it's not really necessary.
Oh, wow! You got me there! I'm sorry! Of course, you're right, as usual! :rolleyes:

You're misunderstanding. You live in a country of peace and freedom. The Iraqi people do not. You say it's easy for us to sit and justify the war. I say it's easy for you to justify standing idle, because you're not the one being oppressed.
It's easier for you to justify bombing the crap out of a country in a so-called attempt to liberate it from oppression, it seems!

Pot, kettle, black, etc. Cait asked you a direct question, you danced around it. I've asked you for evidence in the past, and you've failed to provide it. Your excuse of a lack of time doesn't appear to hold water, either.
Believe me, I have more important things to do than dance around the issues. Like I told Caitlyn, it's too complex to go into on a message board.

"Sorry you folks disagree with me, but you obviously do not know what you are talking about!"
That's not being condescending, it's being frank. I'm sorry if I touched a nerve! :laugh:

Django 03-31-03 10:24 PM

Originally posted by sunfrog
http://www.whitehouse.org/administra...s/georgew3.jpg

Don't leave Django! I love you! :love: :love:
Why Bush sucks part 2
"Preemptive Impeachment"! LOL! :laugh: I like that!

Incidentally, I was going to post that picture of Bush myself! Brilliant expression! :laugh:

sunfrog 03-31-03 10:38 PM

Why Yoda, everything out of my mouth is a conspiracy theory you know that. Politicians are never self-interested. Is there a sarcasm smiley? Where's your proof they're self-interested Yoda? Where? Where?

Austruck 03-31-03 10:49 PM

Ummm ... I think I'll unsubscribe from my own thread now...

(skulking off without even being noticed)..... :skeptical:

Yoda 03-31-03 10:51 PM

It's easier for you to justify bombing the crap out of a country in a so-called attempt to liberate it from oppression, it seems!
Uh, there's really no doubt over the fact that the Iraqi people will, in fact, be liberated. My statement stands.

Believe me, I have more important things to do than dance around the issues. Like I told Caitlyn, it's too complex to go into on a message board.
There is no logical reason why you cannot make your case on a message board. There is nothing you cannot say here that you CAN say in real life. Furthermore, if it's too complex to get into, why did you get into it?

That's not being condescending, it's being frank. I'm sorry if I touched a nerve!
Just because it's frank, it doesn't mean it's also not condescending. You seem to have it in your head that, if you believe something honestly, it's therefore okay. This simply isn't the case. You speak with tremendous condescension. There's really no way around it.

Yoda 03-31-03 10:52 PM

Why Yoda, everything out of my mouth is a conspiracy theory you know that. Politicians are never self-interested. Is there a sarcasm smiley? Where's your proof they're self-interested Yoda? Where? Where?
Uh, it lies in the fact that every human on the face of the Earth is largely self-interested.

Either you are purposely withholding real arguments, or you are simply uinformed and incapable of giving any real reason for your beliefs. Either way, you're only hurting your own cause with each post.

Django 03-31-03 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Austruck
Ummm ... I think I'll unsubscribe from my own thread now...

(skulking off without even being noticed)..... :skeptical:
Austruck, please don't go! We owe this thread to you and your remarkably insightful quote!

Django 03-31-03 10:59 PM

Uh, there's really no doubt over the fact that the Iraqi people will, in fact, be liberated. My statement stands.
If your statement still stands, it's standing on one leg and kind of limping and hobbling about, I'm sorry to say! :D

There is no logical reason why you cannot make your case on a message board. There is nothing you cannot say here that you CAN say in real life. Furthermore, if it's too complex to get into, why did you get into it?
Like I SAID, I'm too BUSY to get into it right now! Comprendez?

Just because it's frank, it doesn't mean it's also not condescending. You seem to have it in your head that, if you believe something honestly, it's therefore okay. This simply isn't the case. You speak with tremendous condescension. There's really no way around it.
No, it's frank without being condescending. That's all, folks. I have to run. Ciao!

Yoda 03-31-03 11:04 PM

If your statement still stands, it's standing on one leg and kind of limping and hobbling about, I'm sorry to say! :D
How? You've done nothing to even TRY to refute it. You've basically just said "yeah right!"

Like I SAID, I'm too BUSY to get into it right now! Comprendez?
So which is it? First you're too busy, then it's too complicated to get into on a message board, and then you're too busy again. However, you were not too busy to post six times in this thread alone during the last hour and a half. Funny how you have time to do everything except reply to the pointed questions.

No, it's frank without being condescending. That's all, folks. I have to run. Ciao!
I hope someone gets you a Dictionary for Christmas. Ciao, indeed.

Django 03-31-03 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How's this for Nixon vs. Bush?

"I am not a crook"

Django 03-31-03 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"I am not a crook?"

Django 03-31-03 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or how about this?

"I am not a crook!"

Yoda 03-31-03 11:40 PM

So which is it? First you're too busy, then it's too complicated to get into on a message board, and then you're too busy again. However, you were not too busy to post six times in this thread alone during the last hour and a half. Funny how you have time to do everything except reply to the pointed questions.

r3port3r66 03-31-03 11:45 PM

My goodness Django, I think you're just being too defensive. If you re-read my first quote on the previous page--

"What distinguishes war, is not that man is slain, but that he is slain, spoiled, crushed by the cruelty, the injustice, the treachery, the murderous hand of man."

--you would see that this statement represents, to me, a protest of war. I think this statement by William Channing means; The real atrocity of of battle is not that men are killed, but that men are killing men. It's an anti-war statement.
So, I don't even think you're taking the time to actually read the posts or the quotes. You just see a quote, skim over it and automatically assume it's pro-war.

I'm starting to suspect that there are personal reasons for your protests. We have to face it pal; Your voice, my voice, they don't matter anymore--we are at war!

But personally, If Yoda is a rep for those taking the opposite view, I'm glad to listen and learn from him. You shouldn't assume that just because people support the President that they're happy lives are being lost. Show Yoda a little more respect than that. The man is as passionate as you are, and he has brains to boot. Besides, I know some people who support the war that aren't as restrained as Yoda. Heck, he's shown great restraint while debating with you. It's you that seem overly heated about something that's already happened, and you have no control over.
So again, I think there are issues that are more personal to you about this war than you are revealing to us, or else you, like the rest of us who think this conflict in Iraq could have been resolved another way, would be thinking about how we will deal with the future of this country.

sunfrog 03-31-03 11:53 PM

Either you are purposely withholding real arguments
I only came to fight with you Yoda, not debate the issues. Why waste my time?

"None are so blind as those that will not see." -Matthew

And

"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions."
-Charles Steinmetz

Django 04-01-03 12:02 AM

My goodness Django, I think you're just being too defensive. If you re-read my first quote on the previous page--

--you would see that this statement represents, to me, a protest of war. I think this statement by William Channing means; The real atrocity of of battle is not that men are killed, but that men are killing men. It's an anti-war statement.
So, I don't even think you're taking the time to actually read the posts or the quotes. You just see a quote, skim over it and automatically assume it's pro-war.

I'm starting to suspect that there are personal reasons for your protests. We have to face it pal; Your voice, my voice, they don't matter anymore--we are at war!

But personally, If Yoda is a rep for those taking the opposite view, I'm glad to listen and learn from him. You shouldn't assume that just because people support the President that they're happy lives are being lost. Show Yoda a little more respect than that. The man is as passionate as you are, and he has brains to boot. Besides, I know some people who support the war that aren't as restrained as Yoda. Heck, he's shown great restraint while debating with you. It's you that seem overly heated about something that's already happened, and you have no control over.
So again, I think there are issues that are more personal to you about this war than you are revealing to us, or else you, like the rest of us who think this conflict in Iraq could have been resolved another way, would be thinking about how we will deal with the future of this country.
I have shown a great deal of restraint and respect towards Yoda, a lot more than he has shown towards me, I can tell you that! I haven't been "yelling" my quotes at 5 times the size!

reporter, Yoda, I am way too busy to be posting on this forum, which I am doing in between my work. I really should quit, but something, some unknown force, keeps drawing me back. If I misread your quotes, reporter, again, it's because I simply don't have the time to read them carefully. Yes, I am skimming through your posts--simply because I don't have the time to read them carefully. Yoda, to formulate an adequate argument to satisfy your relentless intellect, not to mention go through a grueling cross-examination that will inevitably ensue, will take up more time than I can spare. When I have a day or two to spare, I'll take you on. Till then, we will have to put your project on hold, I'm sorry to say.

sunfrog 04-01-03 12:09 AM

The majority, oppressing an individual, is guilty of a crime, abuses its strength, and by acting on the law of the strongest breaks up the foundations of society.
-Thomas Jefferson

Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the state becomes lawless or corrupt.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Yoda 04-01-03 12:15 AM

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

I only came to fight with you Yoda, not debate the issues. Why waste my time?
Time has nothing to do with it. Your posts show that you are incapable. I wouldn't harp on this if you didn't relentlessly pretend that your claims have substance. The whole thing is stunningly pretentious. Deny away, but it's obvious.

Either prove me wrong or admit it. Any other response will most likely be ignored, at least by me. Ta-ta.

"No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions."
I keep asking you and Django questions, yet you refuse to answer them. Oops. Accidental irony.

nebbit 04-01-03 12:37 AM

I noticed Austruck I feel the same, Some one please close this down or come with a quote of the day PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSE:D

sunfrog 04-01-03 04:30 PM

I love quotes!

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.
-Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

nebbit 04-01-03 06:59 PM

Good old Abe what a good person he was.:)

Caitlyn 04-02-03 01:36 AM

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." ~ Abraham Lincoln

nebbit 04-02-03 10:51 PM

'Meet me down in the bar! We'll drink breakfast together.

W C Fields:The Big Broadcast of 1938. :cool:

Django 04-05-03 05:16 AM

"The death of one man is a tragedy;
the death of a million men is a statistic."
- Josef Stalin

Yoda 04-05-03 03:39 PM

"Peace and justice are two sides of the same coin."
-- Dwight Eisenhower

Piddzilla 04-06-03 08:33 AM

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."

Friedrich Hegel

Yoda 04-06-03 12:33 PM

"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history."
-- Aldous Huxley

sunfrog 04-06-03 07:25 PM

Fifty-one percent of a nation can establish a totalitarian regime, suppress minorities and still remain democratic.

-Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

Yoda 04-06-03 07:32 PM

"There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government."
-- Benjamin Franklin

(free advice: these quotes meant to implicate that our government is oppressive are pretty weak. Good luck trying to demonstrate said oppression)

sunfrog 04-12-03 07:42 PM

People always have been and they always will be stupid victims of deceit and self-deception in politics.
-V. I. Lenin

Piddzilla 04-14-03 09:46 AM

"You can fool some people sometimes, but you can not fool all the people all the time"

Peter Tosh

nebbit 04-14-03 11:42 PM

I was in love with a beautiful Blonde once, dear. She drove me to drink.That's the one thing I'm indebted to her for.

W. C. Field's.:rotfl:

sunfrog 04-15-03 12:28 AM

Evolution of democracy is not possible if we are not prepared to hear the other side.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Yoda 04-15-03 12:31 AM

This bears repeating:

"Even peace may be purchased at too high a price."
-- Benjamin Franklin

sunfrog 04-19-03 04:32 AM

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin

That's what Ben thinks of your Patriot Act.

Yoda 04-19-03 11:31 AM

Way to ignore all the other Franklin quotes and single one out. Do you make a sport of intellectual dishonesty these days?

Let's examine your quote:

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."

Tell me, Sunny, what ESSENTIAL liberties have we sacrified? Or were you just trying to say someting pithy?

r3port3r66 04-19-03 12:52 PM

"Even peace may be purchased at too high a price."
Love this Quote Yoda. See? this is why I like you. You've got heart.

Sunfrog; I'm thinking Franklin said this because no one ever gives up essential liberties. It was more motivational than antagonistic.
What do you think it means?

Nikki 04-20-03 08:11 AM

Money talks all languages...............

frutkake 04-20-03 11:44 AM

Quack, Quack, QUack................. A Duck

sunfrog 04-21-03 03:54 AM

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
-George Carlin

I just like this one. :laugh:

(Ben ment don't fight in the quote thread or Austruck will smack you)

sunfrog 04-24-03 08:16 PM

I was unaware the last dozen years didn't count as part of your "entire life."
-Chris Yoda

:D

Yoda 04-24-03 10:18 PM

Still no answer concerning your comment on the Franklin quote. Do you read the questions and DECIDE to ignore them? Or are you too wrapped up in your own views to notice?

Austruck 04-24-03 11:28 PM

sunfrog,

I only smack people I like...

:kiss: <------BIG smack!

Linda (who really isn't reading this thread any more---am I missing anything??)