Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Robin Williams RIP (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=36853)

honeykid 08-11-14 07:56 PM

Robin Williams RIP

Just heard this. Is it true? Suicide apparently.

The Rodent 08-11-14 07:59 PM

Re: Robin Williams RIP?

It's the regular Hoax thang....

Yoda 08-11-14 08:00 PM

That was my first thought, but I think this might be real:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...suicide-724724

Cobpyth 08-11-14 08:00 PM

Where did you hear that from?

gbgoodies 08-11-14 08:00 PM

I can't find any official news source with this story. It's only being reported by a couple of unknown sites.

Do you have a link to a "real" news site with this story?

honeykid 08-11-14 08:01 PM

Just heard it as Breaking News on Sky News.

Cobpyth 08-11-14 08:01 PM

IT'S REAL?

R.I.P.

Derek Vinyard 08-11-14 08:01 PM

Yes he is dead .... RIP Robin Williams i'ts confirmed by The Sheriff ...

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews

honeykid 08-11-14 08:03 PM

It does appear so. :( Depression, you're a ****ing ****. As they're saying suicide, I'm assuming it was due to his constant battle with depression.

R.I.P. Robin.. When in his prime, he was one of the funniest stand ups I've ever seen. He was always a good interview, too.

Skepsis93 08-11-14 08:05 PM

Yeah, it's everywhere. F*cking hell.

Lucas 08-11-14 08:05 PM

.................my lord this is really tragic. I was honestly shocked when I read this a few minutes ago. Damn

Cobpyth 08-11-14 08:06 PM

Shocking news.

I wonder what the cause of his death is... I hope it wasn't suicide.

gbgoodies 08-11-14 08:06 PM

This is so sad. I was hoping that this was just another hoax. :bawling:

He's been one of my favorite comedians for as long as I can remember.

Pussy Galore 08-11-14 08:07 PM

Damn he was the one that really got me into cinema with his performance in Dead Poets Society that really changed my life. Irronic that the Carpe Diem message the his character was evoking in this movie couldn't get to him.

Derek Vinyard 08-11-14 08:08 PM

Literally shocked right now ... An important man for the world of the cinema I always appreciate him as an actor R.I.P

gbgoodies 08-11-14 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1145451)
Shocking news.

According to Variety's article, "The cause of death is believed to be suicide via asphyxiation, according to the coroner’s office in Tiburon, Calif."

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...de-1201280386/

honeykid 08-11-14 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cobpyth (Post 1145451)
Shocking news.

Coronor is saying suspected suicide. Asphyxia is what I've heard so far, so you can have a decent guess at how.

Swan 08-11-14 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1145448)
R.I.P. Robin.. When in his prime, he was one of the funniest stand ups I've ever seen. He was always a good interview, too.
I agree with this. The dude was hilarious, and a great actor to boot. I was always a fan.

RIP, he'll be seriously missed.

The Gunslinger45 08-11-14 08:11 PM

Oh hell! I have loved Robin Williams ever since I saw Aladdin as a kid.

RIP funny man.

mark f 08-11-14 08:12 PM

i'd rather remember him like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf2iFHG44M
R.I.P.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:14 PM

WHAT?!

mrtylerdurden 08-11-14 08:14 PM

No. please just, no. This is horrible news.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:16 PM

Okay, I know everyone's tired of hearing it, but it's that damn curse again. I know it is. I love Robin Williams. This is the worst.

cricket 08-11-14 08:18 PM

I just woke up to see this on the news:bawling:

Don't even know what to say

RIP

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:18 PM

He hung himself. It was suicide.

Skepsis93 08-11-14 08:19 PM

Tears of a clown. Rest in peace, Robin.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:19 PM

So much for Mrs. Doubtfire 2. :( :bawling:

TheUsualSuspect 08-11-14 08:20 PM

Suicide. Wow. Rest in Peace. He battled some demons.

TONGO 08-11-14 08:21 PM

Oh no

jiraffejustin 08-11-14 08:21 PM

Wow. R.I.P.

rauldc14 08-11-14 08:23 PM

This is too sad for me to believe.

Derek Vinyard 08-11-14 08:25 PM

http://cdn.hollywoodpq.com/wp-conten...14/09/will.gif

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:25 PM

He was 63 years old.

OMG. Robin Williams committed suicide. What is wrong with this world?!

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1407799679

WHY, MRS. DOUBTFIRE??? WHY?!?!?!

Sedai 08-11-14 08:30 PM

RIP Robin Williams.

:(

The Rodent 08-11-14 08:31 PM

I think I was wrong then. It's all over the net...

Rest In Peace, Robin.

Many a boring day has been bettered by your presence. Your screen time was a joy, your comedy was perfect, and you fit every occasion...

Lot's of hugs, Pal

The Rodent

jrs 08-11-14 08:32 PM

This is sad. And especially you know it's real when you read reports from every major news outlet that he is.....And that it was on the television too no less.

The Sci-Fi Slob 08-11-14 08:34 PM

Very sad news. He was a great actor. R.I.P.

Two of my favorite scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQTOrS8z5DQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM-gZintWDc

Yoda 08-11-14 08:36 PM

Terrible news. :( Rest in peace.

Seeing this image pop up all over the Internet now:

http://i.imgur.com/yAfeZQ8.jpg

Yasashii 08-11-14 08:37 PM

I thought I'd be a middle aged man by the time I see him go. :(

Somebody fix the world, please!

Yoda 08-11-14 08:37 PM

For those who are more familiar with his film work, he was a heck of a standup, too. This isn't just my favorite of his bits, but one of my favorite standup bits of all time.

It's fairly funny at first, but definitely make sure to listen long enough to get to the golf stuff (and note: lots of language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

The Rodent 08-11-14 08:37 PM

11/08/14

MoFo Robin Williams Day... dig out those old DVDs guys! August 11th 2015 should be a remembrance day.

Cobpyth 08-11-14 08:38 PM

Sometimes I'd just like to comprehend what kind of grief can cause that ultimate self-destructive act.

It seems so unreal, so unbelievable. He's one of the actors that brought me so much joy and empathy for his characters. Through his films he seemed to want to make this world a better place. For me, as a child, he was the image of the ultimate optimist, who was still aware of what was happening around him.

It's so sad to realize now that sadness and negativity had overcome all that positivity, all that strength.

Sometimes I just wish I could understand...

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pu...ets_l_7721.jpg

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary!"

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:39 PM

I actually saw him on What Dreams May Come the other day. I watched a little of it. That movie where he dies and goes to Heaven. I saw it when it was released in theaters, too. It must have been a sign that this was coming.

Swan 08-11-14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1145494)
I actually saw him on What Dreams May Come the other day. I watched a little of it. That movie where he dies and goes to Heaven. I saw it when it was released in theaters, too. It must have been a sign that this was coming.
I wonder how many people are going to be watching that tonight.

The Rodent 08-11-14 08:42 PM

Gooooooooooooood Morning Vietnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam!

The guy was a Godsend.

I reviewed One Hour Photo not long ago... gave it 92%. All down to his performance. Actor, comedian, Man.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1145497)
I wonder how many people are going to be watching that tonight.
I'll probably be watching something Robin Williamsy tonight, but not that.

Anyone want to do a Robin Williams commentary?

I still haven't seen Good Morning, Vietnam, but I don't have it.

rauldc14 08-11-14 08:43 PM

The wife and I just bought three Robin Williams movies.

Swan 08-11-14 08:45 PM

I could continue my Altman streak with Popeye.

The Sci-Fi Slob 08-11-14 08:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWwhA2v9UFQ

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:45 PM

There's a movie called World's Greatest Dad starring him. It came out in 2009. It reminds me of this because in the movie, the plot is all about how his son dies by hanging himself. Accidental hanging, that is. That's all I'm gonna say because this is a R.I.P. thread.

Swan 08-11-14 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1145505)
There's a movie called World's Greatest Dad starring him. It came out in 2009. It reminds me of this because in the movie, the plot is all about how his son dies by hanging himself. Accidental hanging, that is. That's all I'm gonna say because this is a R.I.P. thread.
The kid in that movie is messed up. Pretty good flick though.

Skepsis93 08-11-14 08:47 PM

First on my list is a long overdue revisit of a childhood favourite: Jumanji.

teeter_g 08-11-14 08:47 PM

wow.

Rest In Peace, Sir.

TONGO 08-11-14 08:48 PM

It just stops me cold when I realize someone that brought such laughter and joy could end his life because he felt depression unimaginable. Oh man, what a blow to life.

From Mork & MIndy, to his incredible stand up, to his hilarious films, and his serious chops as an actor displayed later. There is nothing "right" in this ending.

RIP Robin

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:48 PM

This feels like the worst celebrity death I've experienced so far. I think it's the circumstances and the fact that it's suicide that makes it worse. And unreal.

gbgoodies 08-11-14 08:48 PM

This is one of my favorite scenes from "Mork and Mindy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9g1yRXF8I8

skivvy69 08-11-14 08:48 PM

Oh my god. I had no idea that he died, that's awful. Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet's Society, and Good Morning Vietnam are some of my favorites, I can't believe this.

Lucas 08-11-14 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 1145507)
First on my list is a long overdue revisit of a childhood favourite: Jumanji.
I feel you on that one. One of my favorite childhood nostalgia movies.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 08:50 PM

Oh, I just watched that Kevin Spacey movie, Shrink. Probably nobody's seen it. Don't need to. Anyway, Robin Williams was in that. He played an actor seeing a shrink (Kevin Spacey) because he had a sex addiction or something like that.

rauldc14 08-11-14 08:50 PM

We will be watching Robots or Flubber

Swan 08-11-14 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1145516)
Oh, I just watched that Kevin Spacey movie, Shrink. Probably nobody's seen it. Don't need to. Anyway, Robin Williams was in that. He played an actor seeing a shrink (Kevin Spacey) because he had a sex addiction or something like that.
I've seen it. I remember Williams in that.

jiraffejustin 08-11-14 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1145502)
I could continue my Altman streak with Popeye.
Good choice. It's a fun, underrated film. It's weird as hell too. It also has this gem of a line "I ain't man enough to be a mother."

Miss Vicky 08-11-14 08:56 PM

Shame to read this. He was quite a talent. My favorite of his movies is Death the Smoochy.

rauldc14 08-11-14 08:58 PM

Let's not forget Aladdin. Perhaps the best voice acting ever.

jrs 08-11-14 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1145488)
Terrible news. :( Rest in peace.

Seeing this image pop up all over the Internet now:

http://i.imgur.com/yAfeZQ8.jpg
This is the one I think is sort of better. The other one makes Aladdin look too happy.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-11-14 09:02 PM

Re: Robin Williams RIP

no words

donniedarko 08-11-14 09:02 PM

This one really hit me where it hurts.

I always felt empathy for Robin's characters, great actor and comedian.

R.I.P

doubledenim 08-11-14 09:03 PM

It has been said before that the comedian is often the saddest person in a room full of laughter. His standup was unmistakable and the world never got enough of him and Jonathan Winters.

akatemple 08-11-14 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1145460)
i'd rather remember him like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erf2iFHG44M
R.I.P.
Just watched this a couple nights ago, I really did not see this coming.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 09:08 PM

Tell me if anyone hears any good Robin Williams suicide jokes. This is the kind of thing you (or at least, I) need a good laugh over. Robin would have wanted people to laugh about it.

Nostromo87 08-11-14 09:11 PM

the saddest part about this, to me, is that it's only after a person is gone that people really celebrate them

i mean, everyone is talking about Robin Williams now. but in his last few years, while people certainly still recognized him and knew who he was, it's not like he was a hot topic of conversation or front page news

if he hadn't killed himself, people wouldn't be posting all about Robin Williams and watching his movies now

maybe that's why he did it. The longing to be recognized and celebrated. This could be a difficult thing for someone to cope with who has tasted maximum fame... may be a total shot in the dark, as i know little about the man Robin Williams. But it's easy to see how, especially those in the acting profession, might crave a taste of recognition. acknowledgment. And he wasn't likely to get that to this degree, unless he did what he did.

And it just makes me think, it's a strange world. Are we all capable of sharing appreciation for each other while people are still alive? Or are we all hogging each other's spotlight, in a sort of selfish way. Maybe the answer is to find it within ourselves to appreciate each other more than we do. Be willing to look outward and appreciate those around us, as opposed to focusing so much inwards on the self. Perhaps some people don't need that acknowledgment to be happy, yet maybe some people do.

Anyhow, those were my thoughts about Robin Williams

weeman 08-11-14 09:11 PM

This is terrible. So bad. So, so bad.

RIP Robin Williams, so many childhoods shattered.

TylerDurden99 08-11-14 09:15 PM

I was really, really hoping this wasn't true.

R.I.P Robin Williams.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by nostromo87
maybe that's why he did it. The longing to be recognized and celebrated.
I dare say it's possible that on some level, that could have factored into his decision to do it. He is ROBIN WILLIAMS afterall. He may go dormant at times, but Robin Williams is like a God. He WILL be a God now. He is the Charlie Chaplin/Groucho Marx of our generation.

And actually, this makes me wish I had seen all of his movies. And owned them. Or at least see Good Morning, Vietnam. I need to see if I can... find that somewhere to watch.

Mr Minio 08-11-14 09:18 PM

Hoffman died - everyone would watch his movies
Now Wiliams dies - everyone will be watching his movies for a while

Same goes for music and Winehouse & Jackson.

rauldc14 08-11-14 09:19 PM

I still have yet to see Good Morning Vietnam or Dead Poets Society.

Godoggo 08-11-14 09:30 PM

Really truly sad. I hope he gets some peace now. There was always a sadness about Robin that even showed through all the mania.

He was gifted. Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam, One Hour Photo and of course, The World According to Garp are my favorites.

RIP all the good ones are leaving us.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 09:30 PM

Wait a minute. I've been thinking Robin hung himself, but that's not what asphyxiation is. That's where you use the plastic bag over your head. Sorry for being graphic, but I don't know why I immediately thought "hanged himself." It must have just seemed more dramatic.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-11-14 09:31 PM

even though i think Dead Poets' Society is pretty bad, his performance makes it watchable. i haven't seen Good Will Hunting in a long time, but i loved it at the time and i think his performance was my favorite part then too. he's never been a favorite comedian of mine outside of a few bits and Mork and Mindy, but i've always had serious respect for him, mostly based on his dramatic roles and things like his fantastic guest appearance on Louie. in interviews he always seemed like such a down to earth and honest guy who just liked acting out occasionally.

rauldc14 08-11-14 09:33 PM

Growing up two of my favorite movies were Mrs. Doubtfire and Aladdin. I distinctly remember watching Mrs. Doubtfire over and over at my grandmas house, laughing time and time again even though I knew everything that was coming up. I actually use a few of his quotes when joking around with my friends now that I just thought of it.

And the genie. Who could ever forget a voice performance like that. In perhaps one of the better Disney movies pre-Pixar. The man was great in this and I thought it was maybe even oscar nominee worthy stuff.

I was just introduced to Good Will Hunting about 2 or 3 years ago, not sure but I know it wasn't until I had joined this forum. His performance in that film blew me away and I consider it probably one of the top ten best supporting actor winners of all time that I have seen. It's not your fault. Its not your fault.

Those are the main three that I truly enjoyed him in but I also liked him in Final Cut, RV, Night at the Museum, Jumanji, and The Birdcage. I am just sad that we won't be able to see anymore of his comedic greatness. Truly a legend and I honestly do agree with SC when he compares him to Chaplin and Groucho Marx for our era.

R.I.P. Robin Williams

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-11-14 09:37 PM

gonna watch death to smoochy tonight. 1960 can wait.

rauldc14 08-11-14 09:40 PM

We are thinking Hook, Flubber, or Robots. Haven't seen any of the three.

Nostromo87 08-11-14 09:42 PM

editing this post bc now i think it's weird

basically i just think it's strange that we only seem to celebrate a person to this degree once they've passed on. not that i think there's anything wrong with doing so

rauldc14 08-11-14 09:44 PM

I don't think it was a woe is me, let me get recognized death. I think it's silly to think that. Sure, it could have potentially been the case but I think it was more of a mental/psychological reason gone wrong.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1407804203
Picture of Robin Williams posing with a Dairy Queen employee in Lindstrom, Minnesota on June 29th, 2014.

I was trying to find a recent photo of him and could only find this.

Story behind this photo:

LINDSTROM, Minn. (WCCO) — No one really knows what he was doing in Lindstrom, but the evidence is pretty clear that actor and comedian Robin Williams was there.

Williams stopped in to the Lindstrom Dairy Queen Sunday night.

Fifteen-year old Abby Albers was working the counter when Williams walked in.

“I didn’t think it was actually him (at first), because I didn’t understand why he would be in Lindstrom at the Dairy Queen,” she said.

But after consulting with a co-worker and hearing Williams’ voice, Albers was convinced.

Albers says Williams wasn’t the zany, utlra-hyper guy he usually comes across as on talk shows, but he was gracious enough to pose for a photo with Albers and her co-worker.

His order? A small vanilla cone.

Source

Nostromo87 08-11-14 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1145554)
I don't think it was a woe is me, let me get recognized death. I think it's silly to think that. Sure, it could have potentially been the case but I think it was more of a mental/psychological reason gone wrong.
what would that be though?

i don't know the answer

rauldc14 08-11-14 09:51 PM

He needed help. Anybody that needs help please needs to get help. I hate this.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 09:52 PM

I think Robin Williams was just depressed and mentally ill. I think. If that's really what led to his suicide. If it involved anything else, like trying to immortalize himself forever, that's just something that comes with the depression and illness. Just another symptom of the problem. There's no reason really to contemplate about what he might have been doing or trying to say with this. I think he just wanted to die. That's what's so hard to understand and believe -- how could Robin Williams commit suicide? A man who seems to always burst with happiness.

He doesn't look very happy in that photo I just posted, though.

Nostromo87 08-11-14 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 1145559)
He needed help. Anybody that needs help please needs to get help. I hate this.
right, but what did he need help about? maybe we shouldn't think about such things, but maybe it would be enlightening and we could learn something from it

VFN 08-11-14 10:01 PM

A shame.

Frightened Inmate No. 2 08-11-14 10:03 PM

he's had some bad drug problems in the past though so it's not really hard to believe that he also had some depression. hasn't it always been known that his funny guy persona was likely covering up some serious personal issues?

TONGO 08-11-14 10:03 PM

To think he struggled with mental illness isnt a stretch. He was wired to the point at times there was no controlling him. His mind exploded with the best improvisation comedy, possibly ever, and when that slows in time like all things, maybe thats why he wasnt happy. Was it the rush? I dont know.

Cobpyth 08-11-14 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by nostromo87 (Post 1145563)
right, but what did he need help about? maybe we shouldn't think about such things, but maybe it would be enlightening and we could learn something from it
It's depression. I don't think it can be understood by people who've never experienced it. I certainly can't understand it. I never could.

Sexy Celebrity 08-11-14 10:17 PM

It might have been depression on his part, but ultimately, I know this was the Sexy Curse. I was counting on someone else big dying this month because for the past several months, we have had weird deaths. Deadite, Meshach Taylor, the director of Mannequin, Philip Seymour Hoffman. The other day, the final girl from Texas Chainsaw Massacre croaked. I mean, this has just been really crazy. I'm really spooked.

rauldc14 08-11-14 10:19 PM

The wife chose Robots

Monkeypunch 08-11-14 10:25 PM

This is hitting me hard, you know? I've been a fan since...ever! I saw Mork and Mindy when it was a new show, and Robin Williams has been a constant favorite of mine.

My favorite films of his?

- Good Morning Vietnam
-The Fisher King
-Good Will Hunting
-Bicentennial Man
-Hook
-Jumanji

...plus any I'm forgetting. I thought he'd have a lot more years left. It's not fair.

SamsoniteDelilah 08-11-14 11:20 PM

Mindy McConnell: Why would you want to leave here? Are you unhappy? Is it something I've done?
Mork: Oh, no. It's something you have. Emotions.
Mindy McConnell: That doesn't make sense.
Mork: Oh, yes, it does. See, one day I'm going to have to leave the Earth, and it's going to hurt you very much. And I've only been here a few months, and look how you feel. Imagine what it would be like after ten years. The longer I stay, the harder it'll be for you.
Mindy McConnell: Well, what about you?
Mork: [he gives a fake little laugh and deepens his voice] Me? The cosmic Charles Bronson?

Citizen Rules 08-11-14 11:23 PM

How very sad.

I was a teenager the first time I saw Robin Williams, he was a guest star on Happy Days as Mork. Latter I watched him every week on Mork and Mindy. He's humor was unlike anything I had ever seen.

But, I will always remember Robin Williams as the funny but tragically sad, Garp in
The World According to Garp.

TONGO 08-11-14 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1145627)
How very sad.

I was a teenager the first time I saw Robin Williams, he was a guest star on Happy Days as Mork. Latter I watched him every week on Mork and Mindy. He's humor was unlike anything I had ever seen.

But, I will always remember Robin Williams as the funny but tragically sad, Garp in
The World According to Garp.
http://assets.flicks.co.nz/images/mo...92_567x210.jpg

Ya damn right. Garp was my favorite movie of all time, and I know he is the largest part of that.