Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Avengers Assemble (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=28442)

Pyro Tramp 04-26-12 08:07 PM

The Avengers Assemble

1) Joss Whedon has pulled off a seemingly impossible job successfully handling a huge ensemble, where no character feels sidelined or wasted and no single character hogs the spotlight
2) Sam L Jackson needs to stop pretending 'L' is his real initial, when it's 'BAMF'
3) It treads the very Whedon line of serious character driven stories and light-hearted humour very well, with some genuine laugh out loud scenes without ever falling into self parody
4) HDS cameo was the highlight, a nice surprise in a film that's promos revealed a lot of it's cards
5) Scarlet Johansens ass looks even more fabulous in 3D
6) (spoilerish) Whedon's penchant for killing secondary characters is sadly becoming predictable
7) LIEMAX is a disgraceful exploitation
8) Hulk smash. Ruffalo was a magnificent addition and managed to be the best Hulk of the 3
9) The post-credits scene was a nice lead in to future films, even though no-one seemed to have clue who the chap was, myself included

I'll post some more thoughts when have some time. So probably never.

BumbleBee 04-27-12 05:11 AM

The Avengers (2012)

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/120420/th...54mUIm.guq8Q--
THE AVENGERS
(2012)

Take Marvel's greatest superheroes and throw them all into one movie. Now take some of Hollywood's finest actors and cast them as those said heroes. If you've done this and find yourself excited, eager and intrigued beyond measure - the Avengers is the film for you. Realistically, if you're a fan of previous Marvel titles, or even just a fan of the actors being manipulated together in this explosion of Super-Action Greatness; you're in for a treat!

The Avengers is perhaps one of the most anticipated films over the last two to three years, drawing names such as Downey Jnr. (Iron Man), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) in to even further yet make this film something to look out for. The storyline of the film is simple enough; set up primarily by its predecessors. Loki finds himself traveling to Earth, more bitter, vindictive and cruel than ever with one sole intention; to destroy Earth and take its inhabitants as his servants as he rules over the planet. A war is imminent and growing as the days dawn, and Nick Fury and his beyond secret organization SHIELD have to stop the villainous Loki's plans before it's too late. But this time things are different. This time, Fury needs the help of some of the finest heroes Earth has ever known.

Director Joss Whedon invests a great deal of his Marvel know-how into this film. It's undeniable how brilliant this film is constructed and shot, but more than that, the locations and special effects given the immense overlooking of Whedon are phenomenal. How Whedon decided to set out with an all star cast such as the one he was presented with is beyond comprehensible thought, but by some miracle, the director of this comic-geek tranquil managed to incorporate every single character and actor into the film without making them seem unneeded or pointless in their additions. The essential nature and personal story arcs of the characters are really what make this film, and therefore, the direction and writing of this film have to be commended.

While it may be a given, the acting quality present in this film is sublime. Downey Jnr., Hemsworth and Hiddleston steal the show with their presence and Samuel L. Jackson's much more prominent presence as Fury is a welcomed change. Having the one-eyed director of SHIELD being present throughout the film rather than just appearing sparsely in the middle or at the very end of the credit role is extremely pleasant. Johansson, Renner, Ruffalo, Evans and Clark Gregg (who portrayed Agent Phil Coulson) all bring beautiful, unique and dynamic looks into their characters, and Gregg especially uses his excellent comedic timing and delivery to save the film from some of its more serious moments. A special prideful mention should be given to Mark Ruffalo who had the immense task of making the Hulk his own after the character had previously been played by Edward Norton who had been relinquished of the role. Regardless of the immense pressures, Ruffalo manages to make the Hulk true to the comic books but furthermore, create his own feel for the character so that he's lovable and constantly fitting to the film itself.

The film is by no means short on any scale, pushing for over two hours. While the duration is lengthy, the film itself is constantly entertaining and pleasant to watch - whether it's due to the beautiful scenery, excellent screen presence of the unfaltering stars or the witty dialogue masterfully weaved into the script by the writers. While the film is full of action with a balanced story that doesn't tire before the film comes to a elegant conclusion, it would have been a welcomed addition of the film itself could have received a more mature rating. Whilst, undeniably, this is a false hope, comic book fans (such as myself) can be hopeful for a little more push on the levels of glorious action that are infused into these amazing films.

While The Avengers is not faultless, its entertainment value saves it from anything of minor discrepancy. It's an excellent film to see on the big screen (2D or 3D) and proves to take a step away from some of the more regular-to-average films that may be facing release this year. The Avengers will not only entertain but trigger emotions of a wide array and have you smiling, cheering and clapping in delight at some of it's immaculate action sequences and outstanding special effects.

Well worth assembling with some of your friends at the local theater and giving this one a watch!

http://www.movieforums.com/images/popcorn/4box.gif

MovieMad16 04-27-12 03:21 PM

Re: The Avengers (2012)

Also saw this today. I'll post a review later.

Justin 04-27-12 07:07 PM

Seeing it on Monday.

Powderfinger 04-27-12 07:12 PM

My brother in law and his son, and another kid saw it. He didn't like it that much, though he said "my son and his mate, loved it".

ElmoLovesYou 04-27-12 08:49 PM

My review.

DexterRiley 04-29-12 01:36 PM

Re: The Avengers

Ok so i watched it yesterday and have been trying to figure out a way to review it without giving too much away. Its the sort of flick that will be fun to discuss once everyone has seen it.

As origin stories go in the comicstomovieverse, I feel comfy sayen its a distant 3rd as i believe Iron Man and batman begins are in a tier unto themselves.

the list i think would go

Iron Man
Batman Begins

The Avengers
Spiderman
Fantastic Four
Hellboy
Captain America-The First Avenger

Darkman
X-men
Thor
Daredevil

The Punisher
Green Lantern
Hulk
Green Hornet

Right off the bat i should mention that Mark Ruffalo was great. I didnt once think of Ed norton whilst watching it, in the same way that i did when Cheadle stepped in for Howard in iron man 2 for instance.

Theres a ton more to say, but again i dont want to spoil anything, except to say the scene with Hulk meeting Thor for the 1st time is effen awesome.

Matcat 05-03-12 04:56 PM

I watched it last Thursday and again Sunday. Completely blown away by how awesome it was. A great, entertaining and fun movie!

Masterman 05-05-12 10:24 AM

The Avengers Assemble

The Avengers: Assemble

4 out of 10

Well i checked out The Avengers last night at the cinema. Ime not great at reviews or anything like that but i thort i'd give it ago at and give my views of the movie. When i first heard about the Avengers i was thinking Meh, I loved Iron Man, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk, but Captain America and Iron Man 2 i found to be a big let down, i was really dissapointed in Captain America more than anything. I never thort that the Avengers would work with so many Characters trying to get the screen time, when Loki was announced as the villain that threw me completley of the movie. When the Avengers got released the reviews started flooding in ''Best Comic book Movie'' ''Better than the Dark Knight'' ''10 out of 10'' where a few quotes and reviews ive read around the web and magazines..... so now i had to check The Avengers out.

Well ime going to say the best thing about this movie was seeing The Dark Knight Rises trailer at the start of it. Its knowhere close to the Dark knight, its not 10 out of 10 and its not the best comic book movie out there, not even close. I will praise how well all the characters fitted into the movie, tho i think Tony Stark stealed the show with Iron Man. Captain America was the lamest character i've ever seen in a comic book movie and Loki as the Villain did nothing for the movie at all, he just didn't seem a big threat to them at all. The ending of the movie was like a rip off from Transformers 3, tho still very enjoyable and the best part of the movie. The praise this movie has recieved is crazy, i can't understand all the buzz at all, Iron Man was better, Thor was better and so was the hulk.

Overall entertaining, the movie in 3d was great, looked fantastic and the action towards the last half off the movie is great. The Avengers by no means is great tho and certainley doesn't deserve the praise.

Justin 05-05-12 11:13 AM

Re: The Avengers Assemble

Surprised. Given all of the good reviews I thought most people on here would be going crazy for it. Either way, I doubt I'll be seeing it any time soon. The amount of marketing has just about driven me insane.

DexterRiley 05-05-12 11:24 AM

You know, for those of us old enough to remember cringe-inducingly bad television versions of Captain America and Thor, along with a TV Hulk whose greatest physical feat was ripping his clothes and knocking down doors, it's a a pretty amazing thing to see such classic long-standing superheroes be rendered so faithfully on screen (and on such a satisfyingly appropriate epic scale no less) by top-notch directing and acting talent.

Yes thats right, im pullen out the age card.

also op link to this quote if you would :

When the Avengers got released the reviews started flooding in ''Best Comic book Movie'' ''Better than the Dark Knight'' ''10 out of 10'' where a few quotes and reviews ive read around the web and magazines..

rauldc14 05-05-12 12:16 PM

Great, great movie and popcorn flick. I'd like to say I think Iron Man and Hulk made the film a great one. As far as comic book movies go, I wouldn't put it at the top, but definitely in the top 5.

Yoda 05-05-12 12:43 PM

Heh. "Rip-off of Transformers 3"? A good chunk of this movie was based on some of the older comics, ya' know. Dunno if that part was, but it might be. Also, this film was written before the third Transformers film came out.

Not liking The Avengers is potentially understandable...but not liking it because it's not like Batman? To each their own, I guess. I'll try to have a review up this week. Was going to bang one out quickly but I might want to see it again first.

The Prestige 05-05-12 02:04 PM

Looks like i'll have to go and watch this now since you lot are providing the positive feedback. I had originally planned to avoid at all costs but I guess it can't be less than 3 stars at this point. May go on Orange Wednesday.

DexterRiley 05-05-12 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 809335)
Looks like i'll have to go and watch this now since you lot are providing the positive feedback. I had originally planned to avoid at all costs but I guess it can't be less than 3 stars at this point. May go on Orange Wednesday.
i would strongly suggest taking in Thor and Captain America-First Avenger before going to see it if these sorta flicks are outside of your wheelhouse.

The Avengers assumes you have done so. As a stand alone film it makes no sense whatsoever.

wintertriangles 05-05-12 02:57 PM

Would it be blasphemous to include the Green Lantern in the sequel? I mean, different universes, but any Green Lantern is capable of transcending that kind of barrier right? RIGHT?

What happened to Spiderman? Are they waiting for the reboot to cast him in or something?

Masterman 05-05-12 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 809316)
Heh. "Rip-off of Transformers 3"? A good chunk of this movie was based on some of the older comics, ya' know. Dunno if that part was, but it might be. Also, this film was written before the third Transformers film came out.

Not liking The Avengers is potentially understandable...but not liking it because it's not like Batman? To each their own, I guess. I'll try to have a review up this week. Was going to bang one out quickly but I might want to see it again first.

I wasn't comparing it to batman. Local newspaper reviews compared it better than the dark knight so I went in expecting alot, okay maybe I shouldn't have but I just didnt see anything special. Transformers came out first and maybe your right in saying the script was written first for avengers, but I sat watching the end thinking I've seen all this before.

Skepsis93 05-05-12 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 809336)
i would strongly suggest taking in Thor and Captain America-First Avenger before going to see it if these sorta flicks are outside of your wheelhouse.

The Avengers assumes you have done so. As a stand alone film it makes no sense whatsoever.
Well that rules me out. Already sat through Thor but I'm not seeing Captain America unless it's against my will. Expect my review for The Avengers in 3-4 years.

Yoda 05-05-12 02:58 PM

Sony owns the Spiderman film rights.

Frankly, I think Marvel's ownership of only most (but not all) of these franchises might be for the best, at least for now. As good as The Avengers was, it's hard to imagine it packing in more characters without shortchanging some.

wintertriangles 05-05-12 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 809349)
Well that rules me out. Already sat through Thor but I'm not seeing Captain America unless it's against my will. Expect my review for The Avengers in 3-4 years.
Yep, d/ling exists for the sole reason of things not being worth the money. Thor was a chore and I can't even imagine how worse Captain America will be if I ever see it.

rauldc14 05-05-12 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure Green Lantern is DC Comics, though I could be wrong.

DexterRiley 05-05-12 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Masterman (Post 809348)
I wasn't comparing it to batman. Local newspaper reviews compared it better than the dark knight
kindly post the link, would love to read that review.

but I sat watching the end thinking I've seen all this before.
well yeah its source material is a comic book cannon going back 50 years.

Yoda 05-05-12 03:07 PM

Yup, he is.

Masterman 05-05-12 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 809355)
kindly post the link, would love to read that review.

well yeah its source material is a comic book cannon going back 50 years.
It was a newspaper review, even
Tho that's the writers personal opinion he still got me pumped.

The Prestige 05-05-12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 809336)

I've only seen Thor and Iron Man. Didn't like the latter, but the former was actually alright. Didn't bother watching Captain America but i'm thinking that having seen those other films would be enough to prepare me for Avengers, surely?

rauldc14 05-05-12 05:32 PM

It does prepare you in a way. I didn't see Captain America before Avengers (actually haven't seen Captain) but I felt he had the least story ties to the movie, though I could be wrong and just didn't catch a lot of it.

I actually just watched Thor today and wish I would have seen it before I'd seen Avengers. There was a lot in that film that would have been useful going in.

I still think Iron Man is the best of the bunch, probably followed by The Avengers itself. Thor and Hulk were entertaining for me, and Iron Man 2 was entertaining but not without its flaws.

Pyro Tramp 05-05-12 07:44 PM

Thor the only one you really need and an understanding of the characters

Yoda 05-05-12 07:45 PM

Aye, with emphasis on the word "characters," seeing as how the Captain America movie explains the object that's central to The Avengers.

Pyro Tramp 05-05-12 07:49 PM

I didn't really see Captain America, in fact watching it tonight. It's seen at the end of Thor, though, isn't it? It was just essentially a MacGuffin. Obviously it's worth seeing them all but I think understanding Loki's the main thing you can't get from any of others and the thing that'll effect your enjoyment the most.

JayDee 05-05-12 08:33 PM

Absolutely loved it! Just tremendous entertainment. Working on a review just now, should be up sometime tomorrow hopefully

ElmoLovesYou 05-05-12 09:10 PM

A friend of mine said when he saw The Avengers he said it was boring, it dragged on too long and get this...he fell asleep. LMFAO. I cracked up laughing

JayDee 05-06-12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ElmoLovesYou (Post 809420)
A friend of mine said when he saw The Avengers he said it was boring, it dragged on too long and get this...he fell asleep. LMFAO. I cracked up laughing
Give him a slap!!! :D

And now I'd like to shamelessly plug my review. :p JayDee's Avengers Review

The Popcorn Preacher 05-06-12 02:40 PM

Meh. it followed the typical structure of any hero film, but it was still very fun to watch oh and do not go and watch it in 3D i did and as usual it did not add anything of any note.

bouncingbrick 05-06-12 03:39 PM

I loved it. Far better than Thor and Captain America (nothing against those films).

The bit after the credits had me rolling.

Justin 05-06-12 05:08 PM

I'll be writing a full review later, but to briefly sum it up I'd say I enjoyed it. Definitely a fun, entertaining movie, though ultimately kind of forgettable. I don't think I'll remember it in two days. One of the biggest issues is the lack of story which was all but thrown out the window. Nevertheless, the action was great and Whedon's humor was on-point as always. I'll admit, it was a little disappointing given Whedon's involvement.

Ash_Lee 05-06-12 05:40 PM

I enjoyed it a lot. Not perfect though, I thought far too much time was spent inside the SHIELD aircraft, it just wasn't that interesting a location and I was getting fidgety towards the end of it.

I also thought it suffered from the same problem I have with a lot of ensembles where by trying to be fair and equal to everyone, they all end up feeling like guest stars in their own movie. Not being a comic book reader I would have assumed that Captain America (the first Avenger) would have taken the central role (well, slightly more so than anyone else perhaps).

Saying that, all the characters seemed pretty cool to me. Tony Stark was back to his Iron Man 1 best, 'Cap Am was likeable and heroic, and I actually preferred the Loki/Thor relationship here than I did in Thor's own film (their scene on the mountain was quite touching).

Oh, and what a wonderfully timid and mild mannered performance from Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, he nailed it the second he appeared on screen. Just the way he rubs his hands together tells you everything we need to know about him.
His transformation too seemed more graphic here than it did in the previous 2 Hulk movies, where instead of simply getting angry and then turning green, here he appears to be fighting history's worst hangover and then SMASH!

Some HUGE laughs too, most of them courtesy of Mr Hulk himself :D Throwing bad guys around like rag dolls had me in tears, I've not laughed at a gag that much in a cinema in a long time.

Not perfect, some flaws, but when it's good it's good! Seriously good fun, I'm planning on seeing it again on Wednesday.

Sedai 05-06-12 06:05 PM

Absolutely STELLAR stuff. Well done, Whedon! :)

Powdered Water 05-06-12 06:20 PM

Ruffalo is one of those guys that's going to win an Oscar someday. He is to put it simply a very good actor. And I'd agree, he's the best banner yet. The difference in this movie and this just goes to show how much Whedon understands fans and the comics is this is the Marvel Avengers version of The Hulk. Not the ridiculous watered down version that's been presented in the first two films. The Hulk is bad ass and there's a reason why he's usually the last one standing when all else has failed.

honeykid 05-07-12 03:42 AM

Samuel L. Jackson fury over bad Avengers review
With films like ‘xXx: State of the Union’ and ‘Snakes on a Plane’ on his CV, you’d have thought Samuel L. Jackson would be used to bad reviews.

However, the world’s coolest movie star lost his temper with New York Times critic A. O. Scott, after he wrote a slightly negative review of Jackson’s new film ‘Avenger’s Assemble’.

On his Twitter page (which shows him standing next to a ladder), Jackson wrote: "#Avengers fans, NY Times critic AO Scott needs a new job! Let's help him find one! One he can ACTUALLY do!"

Scott’s review slammed “overdone combat sequences” and said: “The light, amusing bits cannot overcome the grinding, hectic emptiness, the bloated cynicism that is less a shortcoming of this particular film than a feature of the genre.”

He did however compare some of the dialogue scenes to Howard Hawks’s classic ensemble western ‘Rio Bravo’.

Despite the high profile criticism, Scott responded in a surprisingly reasonable manner.

He told E! Online: "Actors and filmmakers sometimes respond angrily to negative reviews - I can't say I blame them - and Twitter is a relatively new and very public forum for that. Rallying 'fans' against sceptical critics is a time-honoured tactic, and I don't take it personally."

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't seem to think his angry words will get the critic fired either apparently.

He responded to one of Scott's defenders (again on Twitter) by telling them: "They aren't going to fire his jaundiced ass & You & I Know It!"
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/-samuel-l...rs-review.html

wintertriangles 05-07-12 10:42 AM

Looks like Jackson belongs on the internet

Cenydd Ros 05-07-12 12:48 PM

Avengers Epic Effects: Battle for NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j62PuN_PIaY&feature=player_embedded

Sedai 05-07-12 02:24 PM

@ Honeykid - Email that author and let him now that it is grammatically incorrect to create a plural with an apostrophe. ;)

The movie rocked. That is all.

TheUsualSuspect 05-09-12 01:17 AM

2012 is the year of Whedon for me, with Cabin in the Woods and The Avengers sitting at my #1 and #2 spots respectively.

Perfect blend of humour, action and emotion. It raises the bar of what comic book films should be and shows how an epic battle in the big city can be done right. Boo to you Transformers.

At 2:20, it never dragged for me. People say they spent too much time on the heli-carrier, but where else would they go? Despite Whedon being known for killing off secondary characters, it still hurt to see it happen.

Loved the battles between each hero, loved the final battle sequences and loved Hulk. I don't see how the next batch of Marvel flicks can hold up in their own one character narratives after seeing this, other than to set up another Avengers flick.

Some people behind me thought it was Red Skull at the end, I sat there shaking my head no because I knew immediately who it was. Can't wait to see what
WARNING: "Avengers" spoilers below
THANOS
brings to the table in the next installment.

After the flick, I felt like getting Shawarma.

filmgirlinterrupted 05-09-12 09:25 PM

I never doubted you, Joss. Simply fantastic :cool:

Gabriella Lynn 05-09-12 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Masterman (Post 809348)
I wasn't comparing it to batman. Local newspaper reviews compared it better than the dark knight so I went in expecting alot, okay maybe I shouldn't have but I just didnt see anything special. Transformers came out first and maybe your right in saying the script was written first for avengers, but I sat watching the end thinking I've seen all this before.

I kind of feel like The Dark Night and The Avengers is on totally different sides of the spectrum. The style of the movies were completely different, so it's hard to see how any comparison is justifiable, IMO. The Avengers was a great movie full of a lot of funny jokes and scenes, it also gave a lot of good action and had some sentiment in it. I don't understand how anyone went into it expecting more and still didn't like it at least a 6 out of 10 but maybe I'm not a hard enough grader.

I feel like The Dark Night is darker, has barely any humor and that although it was a fantastic movie, it had a sad back story, which is the main reason why The Avengers is different, because I don't think you feel that in the movie.

wintertriangles 05-09-12 10:03 PM

Joss is the only reason I saw this. Easily the best comic book film but that isn't saying much at all. Should I review......

Justin 05-09-12 10:07 PM

Initially I was going to just refuse to see this on the basis of how annoying and in-your-face and all-over-the-frickin'-place the marketing is. I guess they suckered me into it.

The Prestige 05-10-12 08:21 AM

Lets just hope this is as good as you lot are saying. I should be seeing this next week.

MadMikeyD 05-10-12 04:06 PM

I had planned to wait to see this since taking a family of 6 to a film opening weekend is so expensive. But it was Free Comic Book Day and we were in full comic-geek mode so when my wife suggested it I didn't fight too hard. Naturally the only showing within an hour of our arriving at the theater was a 3-D showing, so we spent way more than we really wanted to, but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

The kids from 6-18 thought it was the best movie ever. My wife, not a comic fan or an action movie fan, fought hard to stay awake. Me, a life-long comic-geek, thought it was ok. It was loads of fun to watch. Action, humor, multiple super-heroes, lots of great stuff. 10 years ago I probably would've joined my kids in their assessment of it. But for some reason, I just think it was ok. It just came across to me as the big-screen equivilant of your standard comic book crossover "event." It's cool to see all your favorite characters together, but in the end it didn't really mean anything. Even the death of a popular character, who I liked, did nothing for me. I don't know if I really expected it to be any different, and I think they did an impressive job pulling it all together, but somehow it left me wanting something more that I can't quite put my finger on.

TheUsualSuspect 05-10-12 08:25 PM

How much damage was done to New York?

DexterRiley 05-10-12 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Prestige (Post 810504)
Lets just hope this is as good as you lot are saying. I should be seeing this next week.

if you read the comics as a kid, you'll love it. If you didn't chances are great It'll be meh.

Do me a favour though if you would, count how many times if any Thor is seen wearing his battle helmet. I was thinken about that today for no apparent reason, and yanno i don't think he donned it once.

TheUsualSuspect 05-10-12 08:54 PM

Not in this film, but he does in Thor.

linespalsy 05-11-12 11:32 AM

I really enjoyed it. Even characters who I thought were pretty boring in their own films (Captain America and Thor) were more fleshed out and interesting in this ensemble. It helped immensely that it had a nice serial-narrative feel to it, lots of little episodic story chunks, slowly building in intensity. Even the jokes get better as the movie progresses - for the first couple acts I was groaning and thinking it was pretty average sitcom banter, but it got downright witty towards the end. Or maybe it's just by that point I was hooked into the whole soap-opera aspect of the story so I was more forgiving to the cheesiness of its individual components. That fits with my perception of the defining genre-characteristics of superhero comics as well: not action movies, not classical mythology. Weepy daytime television for kids. With spandex-clad superbeings and (rarely these days) amazing illustrations. I'm not dying for more superhero movies, but this adaptation took a somewhat different approach (Nolan's Batman has a soapy/serial feel as well - in a good way) and it worked.

gandalf26 05-12-12 01:37 PM

Finally got round to seeing it last night.

It was a good fun summer blockbuster not trying to take itself too seriously.

Probably give it a solid 8/10

Some minor niggles I had though,

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
I didn't like the way they handled Thor, he seemed weaker than he was in his own film. Felt like he was holding back for a lot of the film, especially in his fights with Iron Man and Hulk. I mean he is the Thundergod afterall. His entrance could have been better, would have been nice to get Anthony Hopkins on board for a quick scene on Asguard.

Thought Captain America was fairly lame. I mean he only has a crappy shield and no weapon. They should have made him an errand boy or something, making cups of tea for the real heroes, shining/washing their outfits etc.

Iron Man and Hulk stole the show with their awesomeness.(not a complaint)

TheUsualSuspect 05-12-12 05:30 PM

Have you seen Captain America? He is a real hero, the point of him jumping on the live grenade before his "super abilities" shows his true colours. I love his do-gooder attitude and if you want to single out a non-hero, look to Black Widow.

Yoda 05-12-12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 810988)
Have you seen Captain America? He is a real hero, the point of him jumping on the live grenade before his "super abilities" shows his true colours. I love his do-gooder attitude and if you want to single out a non-hero, look to Black Widow.
This. Times a billion.

BumbleBee 05-12-12 08:29 PM

Having a crappy shield is one thing, but being able to bounce that shield off of objects and people whilst deflecting bullets with supreme accuracy even before you're in close range destroying enemies with your superhuman strength and physical ability? I'd say that's pretty bad-ass.
So I've gotta' go with TheUsualSuspect and Yoda on this one. ;)

Powdered Water 05-12-12 09:27 PM

What that Bee guy said.

yellowjacket1 05-13-12 12:00 AM

This movie is as 10/10 as it gets.

Quite simply, Avengers is an epic cinematic experience that more than lives up to the hype. The makers of this film certainly understand spectacle but they also get the intricacies and depth these type of characters can provide.

Marvel certainly delivered on their years of promises. Right from the close of Iron Man they were setting up this film and boy, did they manage to deliver! They deliver a movie the likes of which we've never seen before and as good of a film that's ever been made in its genre. The Avengers offers a little bit of everything and does it with intelligence, style and integrity.

There's a reason this grand of a movie has never been attempted before now. How do you fully flesh out, care about and establish this vast group and still deliver a fun, crisp and coherent story? It's extremely difficult to navigate that edge-of-your-seat excitement while at the same time caring about each one of the characters and their struggles. One of the most impressive aspects of The Avengers is that they managed to get each hero their time in the spotlight and their own character arc. Every single main lead steps up and is treated with remarkable intelligence and given room to shine. This extremely talented cast fits each character perfectly, both large and even the smaller roles.

I loved that the stakes in this film are ridiculously high and the threat so impressive that there really is a need for these diverse characters to come together. That could have been a stumbling block in terms of story but it's treated just right. It's also a great idea that they chose to introduce all the characters to the audience as if you've never seen them before. Sure, the other films set up and give depth to each character but even if you missed their solo films, you'll still know and care about them in this movie.

The story itself is told in a masterful and crisp manner. The dialogue is witty and the humor works its way seamlessly in to the natural order of the story but what else would you expect from Joss Whedon? The man has EARNED his master status with this jewel in his creative crown. The film is smart as anyone that knows Whedon would expect but it remembers to be fun. That’s not to say there aren’t dark elements because the gravity of what’s presented is immense and the interaction between the characters is actually complex. That’s why some are calling it a masterpiece. Comic book style slugfests are certainly part of the fun but are inserted as a vehicle for the story and not just to see CGI things explode. Things aren't blown up just for the sake of seeing them go boom. How can a movie like this pull that off? What makes a movie about a super soldier from World War Two, a futurist playboy in armor and a god of thunder really work are their relationship to one another and the incredibly good writing on display. Like Thor and the Iron Man films, it manages to ground high fantasy in to the realm of the believable.

Honestly, this is movie making of the most entertaining order and it easily deserves all the praise it has generated from both fans and critics alike. What’s also great is that the possibilities are endless from this point forward. Avengers teams of a different make-up are possible and the sequels that follow will no doubt be cool but they have a LOT to live up to now. This film really is that good.

gandalf26 05-13-12 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 810988)
Yes I have the DVD on my shelf. Only watched once though, probably never will again. Probably the worst of all the separate Avenger films, well maybe second worst after that Hulk crap with Edward Norton. Iron Man 2 was fairly crap aswell.

The Captain America movie was so unmmorable that I don't even remember him jumping on any grenade. His costume, his gay mask, his crappy shield, the crappy actor playing him. Just such a lame hero (would be unfair on the others to call him a "Superhero). Thats my 2 cents anyway. He should have been in the control room like co ordintaing and stuff or like covering breaks of the staff in the control room etc.

If I had to rate the Avengers movies in order they would be;

1) Iron Man

2) Avengers Assemble

3) Thor

4) Ang Lee's Hulk

5) Iron Man 2

6) Captain America (should be called Captain Lame)

7) Hulk (Edward Norton)

DexterRiley 05-13-12 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1 (Post 811070)
This movie is as 10/10 as it gets.

I loved that the stakes in this film are ridiculously high and the threat so impressive that there really is a need for these diverse characters to come together.
That was my main quibble with the flick oddly enough. Had the aliens been in cahoots with hydra.nazis in the Cap flick it would have made more of an impact i think.

Yoda 05-13-12 11:48 AM

His "gay mask"? You listed three things you didn't like, and two of them were about his uniform...even though the film is set 70 years ago? And you don't even remember one of the best moments of the movie?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it sounds like yours was formed by some pretty superficial stuff.

Pyro Tramp 05-13-12 12:18 PM

I get his jist though and agree with his inherent argument but then that maybe because i'm bias against the slightly outdated cultural imperialism/propaganda Cap represents in the standalone film. It's hard to make his costume work on screen and some of it was quite cringe worthy which does detract from making any attachment to the character. I enjoyed his film but it was a superficial one, I didn't really feel any meat to it or any particularly memorable moments- I preferred the flag scene over the grenade one. I like the message of it's not powers that make a hero but it's what's inside, just a shame it's too 'America f*ck yeah' that's inside :p

Yoda 05-13-12 12:25 PM

But the "cultural imperialism" (pretty loaded term, but okay...) you're talking about doesn't exist in his time. He fought in a particularly necessary, just, altruistic war. He has no connection to Vietnam, or Iraq, or anything else controversial. In fact, in The Avengers, there are strong hints that he's not thrilled with what the world as a whole has become. "They told me we won...they didn't tell me what we lost." The kind of thing you seem irked about is the kind of thing he's completely different from. If anything, this seems like it should make him like you more.

Pyro Tramp 05-13-12 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 811165)
But the "cultural imperialism" (pretty loaded term, but okay...) you're talking about doesn't exist in his time. He fought in a particularly necessary, just, altruistic war. He has no connection to Vietnam, or Iraq, or anything else controversial. In fact, in The Avengers, there are strong hints that he's not thrilled with what the world as a whole has become. "They told me we won...they didn't tell me what we lost." The kind of thing you seem irked about is the kind of thing he's completely different from. If anything, this seems like it should make him like you more.
Ok, replace that with propaganda, used the wrong term, my bad. Even though there's winks at that in the movie with his stage career, it's still what his character represents and it's not something I connected with. I like the disillusionment you refer to and will be interested to see his follow up film which read is to be more 'personal' and deal with his adjustments, just hope it's not made to patriotic.

But as a movie itself (Cap, the character, aside), it does show cultural imperialism to an extent, except for thge chick, I don't remember seeing any British soldiers in it or anything to suggest the War endeavour wasn't another 'America f*ck yeah' situation.

tramp 05-13-12 01:55 PM

Hi everyone! (haven't been here in a while...)

I'm so disappointed to read some of the negative comments here -- I think this film so totally rocked. But then again, I love Buffy. I'm so thrilled for Whedon's success :)

But the reason I came here is because I haven't been this excited about an actor since, well....a year ago when I watched Thor. I just think....

We should all bow at the mantle that is Tom Hiddleston. :D

I loved this movie, but maybe not for the reasons that others did. Every time Loki was on screen, I felt on fire. I absolutely love him! I loved the movie Thor, too, because of the relationship between Thor and Loki. Hiddleston's performance just flat-out amazes me. The way he speaks. His clearly defined turmoil. His clothes. His slicked black hair. OMG. :eek:

I also think that Captain America doesn't get enough love. So many say they didn't see his origin film. It's great. I think all of them are (Thor is my favorite along with Iron Man) but I like that old-fashioned soldier hero. I think it speaks to the glory that was once the USA; I'm not a comic fan, but I would think that would speak to all those comic fans out there and reflects on an entire generation of real-life "heroes." It was a time when a villain was really a villain and we could all get behind the soldiers.

Anyway... back to Loki. I wanted to post because I simply didn't see enough Loki love around here. He's working on the "Henriad" (Henry IV and Henry V) for BBC. I can't wait to hear him deliver the St. Crispin's Day Speech!!!

I want a poster of Loki to hang in my bedroom. ;)

http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/...e-Avengers.jpg

MadMikeyD 05-14-12 02:37 AM

Complaining about the patriotism angle of a character and film called Captain America? I'm not sure what you expected...

Pyro Tramp 05-14-12 05:36 AM

Not complaining, jus sayin', didn't warm to him as much as others

Yoda 05-14-12 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 811166)
Ok, replace that with propaganda, used the wrong term, my bad. Even though there's winks at that in the movie with his stage career, it's still what his character represents and it's not something I connected with. I like the disillusionment you refer to and will be interested to see his follow up film which read is to be more 'personal' and deal with his adjustments, just hope it's not made to patriotic.
Meh. To be frank, I think way too many people want way too many of their characters to be gritty and postmodern and angsty. I thought it was incredibly refreshing to have a throwback in there, not just for balance and for the interplay between them, but to remind us about how notions of heroism and even the nature of our fictional characters have changed. I really think people are underestimating the significance and power of that.

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 811166)
But as a movie itself (Cap, the character, aside), it does show cultural imperialism to an extent, except for thge chick, I don't remember seeing any British soldiers in it or anything to suggest the War endeavour wasn't another 'America f*ck yeah' situation.
Okay, but...how is World War 2 not an "America f**k yeah" situation? It's one thing to not like that sort of thing when it isn't warranted, but if ever a country had a war to celebrate in its stories, it was WW2.

earlsmoviepicks 05-14-12 10:14 AM

Just saw this yesterday--I looked down the line of kids to my left at one point, seeing 7 or 8 slack-jawed, glued-to-the-screen little faces all the way down the line. 8 little piles of drool on the floor. Always a good barometer for this kind of film.

I admire the way JW blended all these characters together and enjoyed the relationship between them, it was a treat. Fun dialogue. Thor's Hammer--awesome. Also, I don't think I ever remember a major laugh in a superhero movie as intense as the 2 big ones we got here; especially without pandering for it......And...Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner--casting genius.

I would watch it again for sure-- my only complaints -- I get a bit weary from overt-the-top CGI at times, finding it straying a bit into Transformers territory, and some of the quick C/U editing of close combat scenes bugged me a little.

All in all, Me likey.
I give it 9 piles of drool.

tramp 05-14-12 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 811292)
Meh. To be frank, I think way too many people want way too many of their characters to be gritty and postmodern and angsty. I thought it was incredibly refreshing to have a throwback in there, not just for balance and for the interplay between them, but to remind us about how notions of heroism and even the nature of our fictional characters have changed. I really think people are underestimating the significance and power of that.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, only you said it so much better, Yoda....as usual....;)

So nobody likes Loki as much as me? NOBODY???!!!!! :(

Yoda 05-14-12 11:01 AM

I'm totally with you on Loki. I mean, "like" is tough, because he's deliciously terrible. But yeah, in terms of performance Hiddleston really nailed it. I've heard a lot of reviewers single him out, too, which is nice.

ollanik 05-14-12 01:16 PM

If movie is only fun,entertaining blockbuster not trying to take itself too seriously,than it cant be epic or whatever...average movie this is,nothing more...

Sedai 05-14-12 01:30 PM

No. It's not average - it's awesome. I know it's your opinion, but it's wrong. :D

wintertriangles 05-14-12 01:49 PM

The only awesome thing about it is how it took the comic book approach of having numerous, small, complete sequences all moving towards an end goal. Other than that it tried too hard to frame shots like a comic book, but that can't work because this is a different medium and not a graphic like Sin City. It's a step in the right direction but we've not quite yet figured out how to adapt from comics.

MadMikeyD 05-14-12 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 811315)
It's a step in the right direction but we've not quite yet figured out how to adapt from comics.
I'll disagree with that. I think many films, including this one, have done an excellent job adapting comics. Superman: The Movie, X-Men 2, Fantastic Four, the first Spider-Man and Iron Man films, all very good comic adaptations, in my opinion.

As I said, I thought they did an excellent job on this movie. I just felt it was missing something I still can't put my finger on. I'll probably need to see it again to figure it out. It may just be the "crossover event" nature of it - lots of awesome sequences with little lasting effect.

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 811315)
this is a different medium and not a graphic (novel) like Sin City.
Actually, with the exception of "Family Values," all the Sin City stories - including the arcs the film was based on - were originally serialized just like Marvel's super hero books. Just sayin'...

wintertriangles 05-14-12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by MadMikeyD (Post 811318)
I'll disagree with that. I think many films, including this one, have done an excellent job adapting comics. Superman: The Movie, X-Men 2, Fantastic Four, the first Spider-Man and Iron Man films, all very good comic adaptations, in my opinion.
I'm referring to capturing the comic book feel in a cinematic way, not just having comic characters in a decent movie.

Actually, with the exception of "Family Values," all the Sin City stories - including the arcs the film was based on - were originally serialized just like Marvel's super hero books. Just sayin'...
I didn't mean how you inferred. I referred to the film Sin City's visual style.

Drastic 05-14-12 03:09 PM

Too be honest u said this 'hulk' was the best out of the 3. I disagree. Edward norton (not sure how his name is spelt) was best hulk iv seen so far he made the incredible hulk really interesting and made me love that movie when i first watched it. Overall hes a great actor too and has done many great performances. at the moment im going to look into the actor that plays hulk in the avengers.

Yoda 05-14-12 03:58 PM

So, I wanted to write this sooner, but things are exceptionally busy these days, and I ended up waiting to see the film again to get a clearer picture of the whole thing. Here's the review:

The Avengers

Whedon's reputation is one of upsetting convention, and in a media environment where more protagonists are self-aware the only way to go forward is to double back, with heroes so self-aware that they're aware of how tired self-awareness is. The result is a pre-postmodern masterpiece of mayhem....READ MORE

So yeah: liked it a whole lot. The second viewing did bring a few things into focus, though. The first being that the second half is significantly better than the first. The second being that it really does find a near-seamless way to give everyone a couple of moments, usually both one fun and one profound. And the third is that, yeah, the Hulk really does steal the show, even when you know what's coming.

Pyro Tramp 05-14-12 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 811292)

Okay, but...how is World War 2 not an "America f**k yeah" situation? It's one thing to not like that sort of thing when it isn't warranted, but if ever a country had a war to celebrate in its stories, it was WW2.
I'm not knocking the movie, well I am kind of, objectively as a film it was fine and I dig the notions and ideology it presents. Just thought if you were a kid watching it, not knowing the history, it would be easy to think WW2 was American v Germany, with no mention of England being involved. Obviously, the film is called Captain AMERICA but still, i'll put it down to our national perspectives and move on. It was more observation than an attack of the film, i'm not disagreeing with any of what you said, if it's seems to the contrary. And my point was levelled at Captain America and the presentation of the conflict, not The Avengers or his role in it :)

JayDee 05-14-12 05:11 PM

Came across this article on the film which I really liked. Perfectly summed up why I loved the film in many ways.

The Avengers and the Restoration of Wonder

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 811302)
I'm totally with you on Loki. I mean, "like" is tough, because he's deliciously terrible. But yeah, in terms of performance Hiddleston really nailed it. I've heard a lot of reviewers single him out, too, which is nice.
Spot on! :up: I actually feel bad for not mentioning him in my own personal review. He really does make for one of those great, villains you love to hate. I'd love him to stick around and be involved with the next Thor or Avengers film, though I'm not sure how many times we can see him defeated before he becomes a joke and a character with no real menace.

Really good review by the way Yoda. :yup: Though as is obvious from my gushing review I liked it more than you. :D Speaking of which I think I'll take the chance to again plug my own review for anyone who hasn't already seen it. :p

JayDee's Avengers Geek-out!

MadMikeyD 05-14-12 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 811319)
I didn't mean how you inferred. I referred to the film Sin City's visual style.
Ah. Yes, I misinterpreted.

Originally Posted by wintertriangles (Post 811319)
I'm referring to capturing the comic book feel in a cinematic way, not just having comic characters in a decent movie.
I was, too. Those all give me a similar experience to reading comics. In fact, I may argue that the whole "Avengers Cycle" is possibly the closest a cinematic adaptation can come to recreating the comic book experience - the interconnected mythology, the cameos, the big crossover. Those are all cornerstones of the Marvel and DC super hero universes, and these six films captured that pretty well, IMO.

tramp 05-14-12 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by JayDee (Post 811354)
Came across this article on the film which I really liked. Perfectly summed up why I loved the film in many ways.

The Avengers and the Restoration of Wonder
Wonderful article! He's right, it was the sense of wonder that makes this movie so much fun. He compared it to LOTR; I agree that these films invoke a sense of wonder. Thanks for posting that.

nice review, Yoda. :)

DexterRiley 05-14-12 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 811353)
I'm not knocking the movie, well I am kind of, objectively as a film it was fine and I dig the notions and ideology it presents. Just thought if you were a kid watching it, not knowing the history, it would be easy to think WW2 was American v Germany, with no mention of England being involved. Obviously, the film is called Captain AMERICA but still, i'll put it down to our national perspectives and move on. It was more observation than an attack of the film, i'm not disagreeing with any of what you said, if it's seems to the contrary. And my point was levelled at Captain America and the presentation of the conflict, not The Avengers or his role in it :)
I dont think its possible for a kid old enough to see this flick in the theatres to not know the combatants involved in ww2.

I mean its covered in grade 6 history class for cryen out loud.

wintertriangles 05-14-12 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 811427)
I dont think its possible for a kid old enough to see this flick in the theatres to not know the combatants involved in ww2.

I mean its covered in grade 6 history class for cryen out loud.
You'd be utterly astounded how little is covered in history classes

TheUsualSuspect 05-15-12 09:49 PM

A lot of people didn't realize that the Titanic was a real ship until all the specials came on the television with it being the 100th Anniversary.

gandalf26 05-16-12 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 811656)
A lot of people didn't realize that the Titanic was a real ship until all the specials came on the television with it being the 100th Anniversary.
I find it really worrying that too many young people today don't know anything about great people who were around 20,30,40,50 years ago. They have no idea who Malcolm X is, Muhammed Ali, JFK, RFK, John Lennon. Also great events that happened in recent history like The Berlin Wall coming down, Vietnam, Civil Rights Struggle, Chernoble etc. I even had an ex girlfriend who had forgotten that 9/11 happened.

Pyro Tramp 05-16-12 06:32 AM

I worked for someone who didn't know who the PM was. I'm accustomed to not being shocked at people's astounding ignorance these days.

gandalf26 05-16-12 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp (Post 811736)
I worked for someone who didn't know who the PM was. I'm accustomed to not being shocked at people's astounding ignorance these days.
Yep, so many young folk are 24/7 plugged into Facebook or Twitter, on their iphone etc, they don't watch the news and are completely unaware of MAJOR news stories going on in the World.

honeykid 05-16-12 05:37 PM

Who is the best paid Avenger?

Not all the Avengers are equal, according to their pay packets anyway.

Sources have revealed to trade mag The Hollywood Reporter that Robert Downey Jr. was the top paid star in ‘Avengers Assemble’... but it’s a shock by just how much. The ‘Iron Man’ star picked up $50m (£31m) once bonuses and his share of the profits are totted up - and this will rise as the film makes more cash.

The rest of the cast picked up just a fraction of this though.

Reportedly Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Chris Evans (Captain America) and Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) will earn between $2m and $3m (£1.25m - £1.9m); while Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Scarlett Johansson (Black Widow) fare slightly better with a reported $4m - $6m (£2.5m - £3.8m).

So what's the reason for this disparity?

According to THR, after the success of 'Iron Man' Downey Jr.'s canny reps negotiated a deal that will see him take a percentage of Marvel's profits from any film in which he plays the metal-suited hero. The exact figure is debated, and neither Marvel nor the star's reps have commented, but when a film rakes in over $1bn in a few weeks any percentage is a cause for celebration.

The report will do nothing to dispel Marvel’s reputation for being cheap with star salaries.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/who-is-th...-avenger-.html

Yoda 05-16-12 06:18 PM

Can't really blame 'em. Most of the actors were making good--but not great--money before. Roles like this are as much a boon to the actors who get them as they are to the studios, and they'll see inevitable pay bumps going forward, anyway. Plus, it's probably pretty hard to get the stars of four different franchises together (plus a few secondary characters cast by big names) without destroying the budget if they don't start at a few million.

Kudos to Downey, though. If anyone involved deserved it, it was him.

wintertriangles 05-16-12 07:49 PM

No actor deserves that much for a movie

DexterRiley 05-16-12 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by gandalf26 (Post 811719)
I find it really worrying that too many young people today don't know anything about great people who were around 20,30,40,50 years ago. They have no idea who Malcolm X is, Muhammed Ali, JFK, RFK, John Lennon. Also great events that happened in recent history like The Berlin Wall coming down, Vietnam, Civil Rights Struggle, Chernoble etc. I even had an ex girlfriend who had forgotten that 9/11 happened.
not sure your source for this claim, but im callen shenanigans.

wintertriangles 05-16-12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 811883)
I went to school with my peers, they don't know anything. There's your source.

MadMikeyD 05-16-12 09:23 PM

I have kids ages 6-18. I'm appalled at the amount of history they don't learn in school. The oldest only learned who Hitler was in his senior year and has no clue what the holocaust was. Future generations are going to be doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past because no one is yelling them what they were.

ManOf1000Faces 05-16-12 09:30 PM

It's not the kid's fault. It's the parent's. No kid can just think of him Hitler..people need to know about him first just Vincent Price or Roy Orbison. People today don't know who they are but most parents knew or even met Price or Orbison.

MadMikeyD 05-16-12 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ManOf1000Faces (Post 811891)
It's not the kid's fault. It's the parent's. No kid can just think of him Hitler..people need to know about him first just Vincent Price or Roy Orbison. People today don't know who they are but most parents knew or even met Price or Orbison.
I kind of see your point, but Hitler's rule and World War II are major points of human history that are barely being touched on in history classes. With very few exceptions, I wouldn't expect schools to talk about entertainers. The deaths of millions of people caused by the crazed views of one man is a little more significant than who originally sang "Oh, Pretty Woman."

honeykid 05-16-12 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by DexterRiley (Post 811883)
It's seems to be true, Dex. Kids don't know **** about history. Ten years ago I was talking to kids who'd just left school (16/17) and wondered just what the hell they did know, so I can only imagine how bad it is now.

I know it's not every child, and I don't know which children didn't know the answer to which question, but here's a few of articles that might give you an idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011..._n_997700.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-howlers.html
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/u...insurance-dog/

The Prestige 05-17-12 03:27 AM

Best Superhero film of all time, lol. Ok.

TheUsualSuspect 05-17-12 02:17 PM

I don't get how it's the parents fault the kids don't know history. Parents are suppose to raise their kids, schools are suppose to teach them history. It's not like I'm going to sit my kid down with a book about Hitler and talk about how bad he was.

I have no idea about the first time I learned about Hitler, whether it was school or television.

Only on Mofo can a thread about a a comic book film and turn it into a history lesson about Hitler.

Okay, maybe Captain America has something to do with it.