Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   best feel good movies (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=9935)

Strummer521 02-22-05 12:48 PM

best feel good movies

what are the movies that are just fun or make you feel good for one reason or another?

Two that come to mind for me are Big Daddy and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Holden Pike 02-22-05 01:23 PM

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

uconjack 02-22-05 01:27 PM

Se7en

SamsoniteDelilah 02-22-05 04:20 PM

Harold and Maude

chingutee 02-22-05 04:22 PM

50 First Dates

Forrest Gump

Daylight

Practical Magic

Oscar (starring Sylvester Stallone)

And so many more.

:D

LordSlaytan 02-22-05 04:27 PM

For me, nothing beats Amélie. Nothing.

Sedai 02-22-05 06:20 PM

I'm with the Amelie as well. The Goonies always puts me in a good mood too....

Uncle Rico 02-22-05 06:38 PM

Lord of the Rings Return of the King. you really get the feeling if you watch all three of them in a row.

LordSlaytan 02-22-05 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by chingutee
Oscar (starring Sylvester Stallone)
I didn't notice this earlier...what a great choice! I've always loved this one. Quick, witty, and very, very, funny. This is my favorite Sly film. Period.

susan 02-22-05 07:08 PM

i have to agree with oscar...that moviie makes me laugh every time i see it..

zorro the gay blade
blazing saddles
what a girl wants
10 things i hate about you
doc hollywood
life of brian
holy grail

LordSlaytan 02-22-05 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by susan
zorro the gay blade
It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but I do remember a scene that used to make me laugh; when Zorro's apprentice was wearing the teddy bear suit and was hopping up and down outside. You can see his head with his teddy ears bobbing up...then gone...up...then gone. When I was a kid I'd have giggling fits that I couldn't stop whenever that scene came up.

Speaking of the funny man named George: What about Love at First Bite? I remember laughing a lot when I was kid watching that one too...but I don't really know if it's anything that can be considered 'feel good', but funny rather. Though funny does 'feel' good...but there has to be some sort of line drawn in order to tell the two apart.

Strummer521 02-22-05 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
It's been a long time since I've seen this one, but I do remember a scene that used to make me laugh; when Zorro's apprentice was wearing the teddy bear suit and was hopping up and down outside. You can see his head with his teddy ears bobbing up...then gone...up...then gone. When I was a kid I'd have giggling fits that I couldn't stop whenever that scene came up.

Speaking of the funny man named George: What about Love at First Bite? I remember laughing a lot when I was kid watching that one too...but I don't really know if it's anything that can be considered 'feel good', but funny rather. Though funny does 'feel' good...but there has to be some sort of line drawn in order to tell the two apart.
I guess the line would be that the movie has to be fairly bright and sunny and has to have a happy ending. It should be fun and not too serious. But then again you could argue that any movie that makes you feel good could be considered a feel good movie.

susan 02-22-05 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan

love at first bite didn't really have the same impact on me as zorro had..it had it's moments, i guess...i just prefer zorro

to add

a little romance
just one of the guys
victor/victoria

Strummer521 02-23-05 12:05 AM

It's a wonderful Life can always make you feel good around Christmas time.

SpoOkY 02-23-05 05:50 AM

I definately agree with Forest Gump, it's a very uplifting story. Also I felt Garden State, Dead Poet's Society, 50 First Dates and Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind have made me feel good as of late :D.

libralucilla 02-23-05 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
I definately agree with Forest Gump, it's a very uplifting story. Also I felt Garden State, Dead Poet's Society, 50 First Dates and Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind have made me feel good as of late :D.
I would have to agree with you on Forest Gump! A very good movie.
Very sweet and uplifting!!
ANother one I agree to is Dead Poets Society!!! I love this one!
quote......"Oh, Captain My Captain!"
Here's one I thought was really good to and that is a feel good movie,
A Walk To Remember. A wonderful story I can relate to!!

undercoverlover 02-23-05 03:51 PM

Chocolat, a most excellent feel good movie
Practical Magic makes me feel all happy
You've got mail, love it

Godsend 02-23-05 05:05 PM

Garden State

Donnie Brasco for a reason

Oceans 11

Strummer521 02-23-05 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Godsend
Garden State

Donnie Brasco for a reason

Oceans 11
I agree heartily with Garden State. Even though it was a bit sappy I got sucked into it and the characters were great. I love scrubs and I was glad to see Zach Braff in a movie.

MovieMaker5087 02-23-05 05:31 PM

I don't know... for me, it's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Any agree with me on that one?

SamsoniteDelilah 02-23-05 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
I don't know... for me, it's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Any agree with me on that one?
Yup. Also the first Indiana Jones one.

Lost In Translation
The Princess Bride
The Neverending Story

Creed 02-28-05 12:27 AM

The Princess Bride is a bloody good choice. "...Send for the Brute Squad!..."

Shawshank Redemption always made me smiley for the rest of the day.

chingutee 02-28-05 04:05 AM

Just recently for me:

The Joy Luck Club

Oh yeah.

hayward 02-28-05 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
eternal sunshine is such a good feel-good movie.

saying that, Groundhog day has got to be the best

For Remembrance 03-03-05 07:57 PM

Amelie is a definite, even listening to the soundtrack is enough to make me smile.

A Little Princess. I've loved for more than half my life.

Fight Club. I watch it every now and then when I get peeved at how shallow some people can get and it makes me laugh. Especially Bob. "We're still men!"

Lance McCool 03-03-05 11:19 PM

The Goonies...nothing even comes close. If I'm in a sh*tty mood, that one never fails to put a smile on my face.

Uncle Rico 03-03-05 11:24 PM

Forrest Gump is awesome and I love Gary Sinise in that. It makes me feel good at the end but not through the whole movie if anyone follows me.

nebbit 03-05-05 02:36 AM

http://www.filmposterworld.co.uk/movieposters/kate.jpg

Escape 03-05-05 05:00 AM

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/.../h/hidalgo.jpg
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/...frequency4.jpg
http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/...firstdates.jpg

undercoverlover 03-05-05 12:32 PM

escape, ur pics arent showing up

loopie 03-05-05 03:06 PM

Ocean's 11
Thomas Crown Affair
Love Actually
What a Girl Wants
Bridget Jones

loopie 03-05-05 03:07 PM

I agree :laugh:

SAS Operative 03-18-05 10:30 PM

Wedding Singer
Serendipity
Notting Hill
I.Q.
Parent Trap
Cutting Edge
Kate & Leopold

Mose 03-18-05 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Yup. Also the first Indiana Jones one.

Lost In Translation
The Princess Bride
The Neverending Story
Of course YOU would be the one to take my top choice... The Princess Bride :)

Others that spring to mind as always putting a smile on my face:

High Fidelity
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Bringing up Baby
Best in Show
Harvey
Philadelphia Story
When Harry Met Sally
This is Spinal Tap
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Brain Donors
Clueless
Hoosiers
Arsenic and Old Lace
Babe
The Sting
Rocky IV

Field of Dreams (any American boy who doesn't get a little teared up at 'You wanna have a catch?' is missing a very important part of his soul)

and all Kevin Smith movies.

Just a few that came to mind.

JANthology 03-19-05 02:31 AM

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle
Van Wilder
Garden State
Barbershop

LordOfADown 03-19-05 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
The Goonies...nothing even comes close. If I'm in a sh*tty mood, that one never fails to put a smile on my face.
Goonies is the best answer, i agree. But if i had to pick another i'd say Cool Runnings. Like they finished in last place, but on some other level.... they really finished first O.o

trotskyist 03-24-05 01:24 AM

Mrs Doubtfire
Forest Gump

undercoverlover 03-24-05 09:53 AM

Miss Congeniality
Clueless
Legally Blonde 1&2
American Pie
Addams Family, this choice scares me but oh well

Kalena 03-24-05 03:12 PM

Films that spring to mind are:

A Night at the Roxbury (Just hearing the song "What is Love?" brings a smile to my face)
The Wedding Singer
Both the Wayne's World films
Both the Bill and Ted films
Say Anything
Zoolander
Godzilla

Magnum P.I. 04-05-05 03:11 AM

Oh man! When I need my "feel good fix", I definitely turn to good ol' 80's movies (Top Gun, Revenge of The Nerds, The Golden Child, Big Trouble In Little China, Back To The Future and Ghostbusters, just to name a few of my favourites) and I'd say my ultimate feel good movie is Coming To America with Eddie Murphy. A classic!

I don't know. There's just something with 80's movies that's so unique in the way they were filmed.

Knoxville 04-05-05 08:20 AM

As Good As It Gets
Bridget Jones (Both of them)
Love Actually

firegod 04-05-05 09:24 AM

How about Bruce Almighty? When Bruce first gets his powers, it is a feel good movie for the vengeful part of us, to see him give certain people what they have coming. Then, of course, Bruce has his predictable little reformation, and we all feel gooey inside.

firegod 04-08-05 01:56 PM

Scratch that. BA doesn't even compare to The Miracle Worker for me. It made me cry, but they were good tears.

Samara_Morgan 04-11-05 11:20 AM

I would have to say LOVE ACTUALLY made me feel good, as did THE NOTEBOOK

FRAME 04-11-05 11:55 AM

French Kiss

Caitlyn 04-11-05 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by firegod
Scratch that. BA doesn't even compare to The Miracle Worker for me. It made me cry, but they were good tears.

The Miracle Worker is awesome and no matter how many times I watch it, I always tear up... but like you, they're good tears... :)

A few more that make me feel good are:

Amélie (2001)
City Lights (1931)
The General (1927)
Duck Soup (1933)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
Chocolat (2000)
Big Fish (2003)
Benny & Joon (1993)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

GL2814 04-12-05 02:11 AM

Forrest Gump
Searching for Bobby Fischer
Simon Birch
Bicenntential Man

fireyhope 04-17-05 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definately Hands down My Sassy Girl
A great Koren Drama Comedy

http://www.movieforums.com/community...tid=4815&stc=1

i reccomend this movie to ANYBODY who likes watching Romance Comedy! because My Sassy Girl will give you a TREAT of a LIFETIME

Aurovon 04-17-05 07:12 PM

Office Space!

chuckyjason 04-21-05 09:11 PM

Dumb and Dumber.

chuckyjason 04-21-05 09:12 PM

I also like Princess Diaries.

chuckyjason 04-21-05 09:13 PM

Hey hey hey hey hey hey!!! DUMB AND DUMBER.

Othelo 04-22-05 07:09 AM

Rudy
The Incredibles
It's a Wonderful Life

bigcheese 04-25-05 05:50 PM

Amelie is the best feel good movie ever

HellboyUnleashed 04-25-05 07:57 PM

I think that it is Austin Powers. Any of them.

lucy_jaimes 04-25-05 10:52 PM

10 things i hate aobut you. BUT i also love the Breakfast Club. It is the orginal feel good movie!

trotskyist 04-25-05 10:54 PM

i just saw eternal sunshine of the spottless mind, thats gotta be one of the best in my book.

SAS Operative 04-27-05 12:44 AM

Serendipity. Parent Trap.

Cousin Avi 04-30-05 10:51 AM

Coffee and Cigarettes

vd853 04-30-05 09:55 PM

Just saw Pulp Fiction, and that made me "feel good",but I still don't know what a "feel good movie" means.

led_zeppelin 04-30-05 11:39 PM

Princess Diaries for an actual feel good movie. Or Requiem for a Dream because it made me feel good to be alive and sober.

ofekslayer 05-01-05 11:37 AM

I'd have to say that one movie that makes me feel good is "The safety of objects". It's a wonderful movie, which I have seen many times, and still I enjoy it every time I see it. The movie is about four families living together in a suburb, when one car accident controls all of their lives, and combines them together. I found this movie to be real, funny, and very touching.
I also recommend reading the book by A.M. Homes, which actually inspired the movie. The book is a collection of short stories, all written with great sense of humor, and a unique look on life: http://www.fetchbook.info/the_safety_of_objects.html.

Lessa 05-07-05 01:33 PM

1. 10 things I hate about you
2. The Goonies Quote "HEY YOU GUYS!"
3. Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind
4. Sherk
5. The Princess Bride
6. KingPin
Are all movies that when I finish watching them I feel really good. Along with so many others I can't think of right now.

adidasss 05-08-05 12:50 PM

amelie
4 weddings and a funeral
love acctualy
bridget jones diary

Austruck 05-08-05 01:49 PM

Gone With the Wind
It's a Wonderful Life
Wizard of Oz
The first three Star Wars flicks (collectively) ... or Episode 4 or 6 individually
When Harry Met Sally
Sleepless in Seattle

Hartagan7607 05-08-05 06:03 PM

My feel good movie would probably have to be Kill Bill Vol. 1.

nebbit 05-08-05 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hartagan7607
My feel good movie would probably have to be Kill Bill Vol. 1.

:eek:

brian2004 05-14-05 12:29 PM

Eternal Sunshine
Remember the Titans
Short Circuit 1 and 2

Lance McCool 09-01-05 09:23 PM

Misirlou 09-01-05 10:13 PM

Peter Pan (2003) - Always puts me in a better mood :D

MovieDan82 09-01-05 10:36 PM

Singin' in the Rain
The Thin Man
This is Spinal Tap
It's a Wonderful Life
Casablanca
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Thunder Chunky 09-01-05 10:44 PM

Singin' in the Rain, Top Hat, An American in Paris, and Rushmore are my favorite feel good movies.

Monkeypunch 09-01-05 10:45 PM

The Goonies is my all time favourite "Feel Good" type film. When I worked at the video shop, you could tell what mood I was in by what I put on the monitors. If I needed cheering up, it was the Goonies, every time.

Other feel good type flicks:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Ghost Busters
Young Frankenstein
the Blues Brothers
Legend of The Drunken Master
Shanghai Noon
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Kung Fu Hustle

MovieDan82 09-01-05 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder Chunky
Top Hat
You just like the scene where Astaire takes on the Irish accent!

taco70g 09-11-05 02:34 PM

ray
forest gump

CELM02 09-11-05 03:12 PM

I've got loads, my two favourites are:

Others include: Donnie Darko, Ghostbusters, BASEketball, Dodgeball and All the Star Trek Movies.

Ash_Lee 09-11-05 03:21 PM

Cool Runnings and American Pie.

coolbreeze 09-11-05 06:29 PM

I have a soft spot for Shirly Temple movies. Used to watch them as a kid and return to watching them in my VCR when I need a 'sweet' fix.

Another feel good fave is Gigi. Geez, does any realize what that movie was really about? They were raising a girl to become a mistress, a call girl, a coquette! Anyway, I like the ending. And they lived happily ever after......