Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Greatest Things That Happened To Film? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=46495)

banality 08-20-16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1564565)
How sound would help them? Would you mind giving examples of films?
Like The General has title cards too often, and von Stroheim uses close-ups of signs etc. when diagetic sound would be a more artful way to set the scene. The lack of sound makes the gap between a films intentions and its achievement larger. Great directors have used black and white after it's time, it enriches the performances, but they never lose the soundtrack, you know?

Topsy 08-20-16 07:02 PM

Re: Greatest Things That Happened To Film?

when they stopped the theatrical acting they did in the older movies and when the themes and plots of movies got more realistic aswell as the colours.

Mr Minio 08-20-16 07:30 PM

Can't remember The General's number of title cards, since I've seen it quite some time ago, but generally Buster Keaton can be watched without any title cards and you can still grasp it. However, it's quite weird you mentioned it, since I always thought Keaton films have very little intertitles. The close-ups to show some signs were a very common practice, not only specific to von Stroheim. I can't see anything wrong about it and somebody saying "there's butcher's" instead of a sign saying "butchery" makes no difference (saying this with a sign visible makes talking not only unnecessary, but even useless). The lack of sound has impact on achieving intentions, since the method must be different. However, it doesn't make the gap any larger. Or at least it doesn't have to in hands of a skilled director.

Of course, there's been a handful of modern silents made, but sadly not too many (I wondered about it the other day and I guess if I was a director I'd have made at least one silent). Guy Maddin, however, shows that silent movies not only have their place in contemporary cinema, but also that they work exceptionally well, even if tackling rather surreal and complex plots. He does it playfully, but he's full of respect for old masters. The thing is, modern directors don't want to give up sound, because it's become an irreplaceable part of films. It doesn't mean, however, that you can't make a masterpiece without it.

gbgoodies 08-21-16 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1563964)
But my answer would be synchronized sound is the one greatest thing to happen to movies. Yes I love silent movies but synchronized sound opened up a whole new world to movie goers.

For some reason, when I read this, this was the first thing that popped into my mind. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egB0Dmfoq6k

banality 08-21-16 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1564620)
Can't remember The General's number of title cards, since I've seen it quite some time ago, but generally Buster Keaton can be watched without any title cards and you can still grasp it. However, it's quite weird you mentioned it, since I always thought Keaton films have very little intertitles. The close-ups to show some signs were a very common practice, not only specific to von Stroheim. I can't see anything wrong about it and somebody saying "there's butcher's" instead of a sign saying "butchery" makes no difference (saying this with a sign visible makes talking not only unnecessary, but even useless). The lack of sound has impact on achieving intentions, since the method must be different. However, it doesn't make the gap any larger. Or at least it doesn't have to in hands of a skilled director.

Of course, there's been a handful of modern silents made, but sadly not too many (I wondered about it the other day and I guess if I was a director I'd have made at least one silent). Guy Maddin, however, shows that silent movies not only have their place in contemporary cinema, but also that they work exceptionally well, even if tackling rather surreal and complex plots. He does it playfully, but he's full of respect for old masters. The thing is, modern directors don't want to give up sound, because it's become an irreplaceable part of films. It doesn't mean, however, that you can't make a masterpiece without it.
I'm talking about ambience, not dialogue, and I mentioned von Stroheim because you wanted examples. Some directors do require talking pictures to reach the full measure of their gift for directing - Gance for example.

Mr Minio 08-23-16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by banality (Post 1565115)
Some directors do require talking pictures to reach the full measure of their gift for directing - Gance for example.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...9530681729.gif

It's just now that I see this. Maybe it's good that the conversation stopped after this. I usually am very understandable and liberal when it comes to other people's tastes and opinions, but you seem like an extremely ignorant person plus you hate every other film you watch. Not to mention most of them are great films. Not too sure if you're trolling, or something.

Gatsby 08-23-16 11:22 PM

Filmmakers realizing that editing and moving the camera makes a film much more interesting. Took them a long time to figure that one out.

banality 08-23-16 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1566423)
It's just now that I see this. Maybe it's good that the conversation stopped after this. I usually am very understandable and liberal when it comes to other people's tastes and opinions, but you seem like an extremely ignorant person plus you hate every other film you watch. Not to mention most of them are great films. Not too sure if you're trolling, or something.
i'm a charlatan

banality 08-23-16 11:27 PM

Greatest Things That Happened To Film?

The discovery of the value of boredom as an artistic subject.

mark f 08-23-16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1566474)
Filmmakers realizing that editing and moving the camera makes a film much more interesting. Took them a long time to figure that one out.
They did that in the '20s. :cool:

Gatsby 08-24-16 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1566483)
Still, that's like, 25 years.

Mr Minio 08-24-16 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1566483)
Actually, way earlier. They perfected it in the 20's, though.

Swan 08-24-16 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1564248)
By the late 20's silent cinema reached its artistic peak as a visual medium. It told stories, built character's psychology and did it profoundly with no need of sound. Music played by a pianist or orchestra were enough as these films worked entirely on visual level -- beautiful frames, stories told through images, great camerawork and glorious montage (films of Vertov, Eisenstein, Gance are some of the best edited movies in history). Most of it died when sound cinema emerged. You couldn't move camera too much and actors couldn't move that much neither, since microphones were pretty insensitive and you had to hide them somewhere. Besides, since sound was a novelty, talkies started coming up and story instead of being told visually begun to be just told verbally - mostly in dialogues, which severely damaged film as a visual medium. Some directors still managed to maintain former glory and even sound didn't disturb them, but many new films, even though some of them were masterpieces, were pretty unimaginative and just plain visually. Filmmakers started to rely on speech too much, which resulted in films with hundreds of dialogue lines that could've been replaced with one or two intertitles in silent era (and these intertitles would have much more power, because would be all substance and no talking just for the sake of talking). In American cinema this talking mania lasted through the 40's, up to even the 60's (second best decade of cinema besides the 20's) and it can be seen, not to look far, in films of Alfred Hitchcock. At least Hitchcock had a good eye for visuals, too, but his silent masterpiece Lodger was much better than most, if not all, of his sound movies. Of course, with time filmmakers learnt how to master sound and combine it with visuals to make sound only one of the layers that in the end enriched cinema as a whole. However, there are some aspects of silent cinema, like montage, that very rarely were topped in sound cinema.
I was thinking about this the other day. You say it far more eloquently than I thought it, though. But yeah, I think we kind of backpedaled and became more uncinematic with the birth of sound, unfortunately. Though I like sound, a lot of directors just don't know how to utilize it. Cinema is first and foremost a visual form of storytelling.

NedStark09 08-24-16 08:55 AM

I use too always felt that Star Wars and George Lucas kinda changed film and made movies kinda what they were too some degree and Then when LOTR came along and Spiderman 1 It Kicked the door open too how effects in film are done today. While CGI has become an amazing tool too where all manor of movies can be done. I do think in the modern era things have changed where Writing and Acting has suffered a bit. In Older movies even in the Times Of The Original Star Wars up too Spiderman good movies were written and made. However I do fear that what now passes for Good Scripts and Acting are well coming second if you can trick an audience with good effects that seem so real. Allot of Todays Action and Comic Book films suffer from this flaw in effects inhancement. Look at lets say World Of Warcraft an Amazing looking film where I enjoyed it more then some but to be honest the acting by the human characters and the overall writing of the story Sucked terribly.

Citizen Rules 08-24-16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Swan (Post 1566591)
... I think we kind of backpedaled and became more uncinematic with the birth of sound, unfortunately...
The reason for that was, the microphone, in the early days of sound they hadn't perfected the sound boom, so actors had to keep within a short distance of the microphone.

Swan 08-24-16 12:39 PM

I don't mean for technical reasons, but storytelling reasons.

Camo 08-24-16 12:41 PM

so actors had to keep within a short distance of the microphone.
Loved that part in Singing In The Rain. It's pretty great that they weren't just making baseless jokes but were deriving the humour from real problems in the early days of talkies.

TONGO 08-24-16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by banality (Post 1566478)
Greatest Things That Happened To Film?

The discovery of the value of boredom as an artistic subject.
Henh?!

Do you mean like the guy putting a camcorder on the beach, letting it run for 6 and a half hours, then releasing it as the longest movie ever made, and its considered as art?

Really? If you wish to totally disempower storytelling, yknow where it reaches you on an emotional level, so you can relate to what youre watching....whats left that can be considered? An intellectual introspection that is really a search for a point?

matt72582 08-24-16 12:56 PM

If a movie is junk, just label it "art-house" :)

Swan 08-24-16 12:59 PM

Perfect, I already like junk.