PDA

View Full Version : Classics that you grew up with

OllieO
12-19-00, 06:59 PM
Hi, just surfed on in from SitePoint and like what I see - this is a great forum. My friends and I are real 80s classics fans - the films that we grew up watching. Everytime they're on the telly we're watching them, if we seem them in a video shop, we buy them. There's a great market near the college that sells some of the greatest for £3-4.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys grew up watching. Amongst our list of classics are:

Karate Kid 1 (been trying to find it everywhere but can't! :( )
All the 80s Arnie films + Conan, and especially Predator
CaddyShack
Road House
Kickboxer + most JCVD films
Heartbreak Ridge
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard
Teen Wolf, Back to the Future (Michael J. Fox stuff in general)
Rocky 1 and 2 - maybe 4 - 3 and 5 were jokes
Rambo: First Blood - take or leave 2 and 3

There are more, and I realise that this list seems like the intellectual equivalent of a nursery exam, but these were things that we enjoyed when we were less than 10 years old (I'm 20 now). Our conversations these days tend to revolve or somehow incorporate quotations from these classics. ;)

No doubt I'll post some more when they come to me, but this is what springs to mind now. What about you? What films did you love growing up and make an effort to enjoy whenever you can now?

PooPooMaster
12-19-00, 11:55 PM
Yeah I watched all those too !!!

I loved them all !!!

It's cool to watch those old movies with your buddies to catch up on old times. Then before you know it, you'll all be outside taping a playing card to your old 80's BMX bike's tire out in your garage. You'll all take turns riding around the block pretending the BMX is a motorbike. I just got in the mood to throw on my Jam's shorts and Allstar Shoes.

sadesdrk
01-16-02, 04:58 PM
Firstly, this thread is cool because there is a memeber called PooPooMaster. Secondly, it was a great idea for a thread.

Classic Movies I Grew Up With:

The Princess Bride
The Neverending Story
The Dark Crystal
The Labyrinth
The Navigator
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Big Top Pee Wee
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Karate Kid
Goonies
Nightmare on Elm Street
Tremors
Stand By Me
The Cutting Edge
Back to the Future(s)

These are all movies I've watched at least 20 times.

Deckard
01-17-02, 02:13 AM
As a child of the 70's and 80's I ofcourse watched all teh usual like Star Wars, Superman, Back To The Future, Goonies, Stand By Me and any other number of films that came out as I was growing up....

Some of the true classics I loved by my teen years were:

The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape
Rio Bravo
Red River
The Man With No Name trilogy
The Connery Bonds (still the best)
The Odd Couple
Kurosawa's Seven Samurai
Sparticus
The Vikings
The Rise and Fall Of The Roman Empire
The original Robin Hood (Still The best)
The Big Sleep
Cool hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen

plus tons more that I owned and watched repeatedly on tV and video tape.

Yoda
01-17-02, 05:52 PM
There are many I'm forgetting, I'm sure, but below are a few of the movies that I saw at least a dozen times as a young child, and therefore will have trouble appreciating the way I wish I could: "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
"Back to the Future."
"Star Wars: Return of the Jedi."
"Pee Wee's Big Adventue." (it's still funny)
"The Princess Bride." (didn't get half the jokes until I was, say, 13 or so, though)
"Gremlins." (I want a smokeless ashtray!)Not exactly all classics, but, well, I don't care. :)

mecurdius
01-17-02, 06:45 PM
Star Wars
Back to the Future trilogy
An American tale 1&2
Turtles 2

Yoda
01-17-02, 06:46 PM
Fival! Or whatever his blasted name was. Are those the ones you're talking about? I'll never be able to spell it properly. Man, I loved those as a kid. "The Rats of Nymn" is another good one...though I suspect I've butchered that as well.

sadesdrk
01-17-02, 06:58 PM
T! It's, "An American Tail" & "Fival Goes West"

and The Secret of Nimh. Wait, I think I spelled that wrong too.:laugh:

B&W
02-10-02, 11:33 PM
home alone
home alone 2
jurasic park
terminator 2
universal soldier
lion king (disney)
aladin (disney)
beauty and the beast (disney)
turtles
gremlins
cheetah

hmmm,

jrs
02-10-02, 11:56 PM
"E.T. The Extra Terrestrial" - rereleasing this March.

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

L .B . Jeffries
02-11-02, 12:00 AM
THE GREAT OUTDOORS

mightymose
02-11-02, 05:00 PM
An 80's movie list (I think that's when most of us were young, LOL) without mention of The Breakfast Club (my personal favorite of the brat pack)!

Gotta give it up for the old action flicks that Ollie mentioned... movies like Bloodspoort and Kickboxer may not be quite as impressive now (after the HK invasion), but damn were they ever fun when I was a kid!

I still consider most of Arnie's flicks classics though... Two of my favorites were Commando and Predator... they just don't make 'em like that anymore!

jaidiar
02-11-02, 07:29 PM
I loved The Secret of Nimh! I used to watch The Goonies all the time, its classic.

sadesdrk
02-11-02, 07:51 PM
I think I lived on The Goonies, for about a month. Love the Truffle-Shuffle.:D

mightymose
02-11-02, 10:45 PM
Data (pretty sure that was his name, LOL) was always my favorite... love the booby trap :)

jaidiar
02-12-02, 11:28 PM
More like "boobie twap." :D My pinchers of pow!

filmfreak
02-14-02, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by OllieO
My friends and I are real 80s classics fans - the films that we grew up watching. Everytime they're on the telly we're watching them, if we seem them in a video shop, we buy them. There's a great market near the college that sells some of the greatest for £3-4.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys grew up watching. Amongst our list of classics are:

Karate Kid 1 (been trying to find it everywhere but can't! :( )
All the 80s Arnie films + Conan, and especially Predator
CaddyShack
Road House
Kickboxer + most JCVD films
Heartbreak Ridge
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard
Teen Wolf, Back to the Future (Michael J. Fox stuff in general)
Rocky 1 and 2 - maybe 4 - 3 and 5 were jokes
Rambo: First Blood - take or leave 2 and 3

There are more, and I realise that this list seems like the intellectual equivalent of a nursery exam, but these were things that we enjoyed when we were less than 10 years old (I'm 20 now).

Youre right on my wavelength OllieO. I have spent muchos cash trying to get as many stupid 80s movies as possible, especially the John Hughes films, Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink and Ferris. Whatever happened to Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald?

Also:

The Sure Thing
Wierd Science
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
The Revenge Of The Nerds Trilogy
Sixteen Candles
The American Ninja movies
Top Gun
King Frat
Animal House (Ok it was 70s but what the heck)
Ghoulies

Also i cant believe someone mentioned BMXs without mentioning BMX Bandits!

I wouldnt go as far as calling them classics maybe but they sure are fun!

Yoda
02-14-02, 11:47 AM
Whatever happened to Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald?
Well, Hall played Yankee pitcher (and Hall of Famer, if my memory serves me correctly) Whitey Ford in the HBO docudrama (or whatever you call it) 61*. He had a small role, I think, in Freddy Got Fingered, too. The last significant role I've seen him in is that of Bill Gates in the TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley. Apparently he's done lots of sub-par projects over the last few years, though...so I guess he's still making a good living off of it all.

Molly Ringwald had a cameo in Not Another Teen Movie. Apparently she was in Teaching Mrs. Tingle and Ring of Fire (the latter has been done for some time, but I don't know if it was ever released. If it was, I guess it didn't receive much fanfare).

She was good in Stephen King's TV Mini-Series The Stand, though, which I've probably seen 3 or 4 times, at least, despite its 8-hour length. You should check it out if you haven't already. She was well cast there, I think.

mightymose
02-14-02, 10:26 PM
Not sure of the exact date... but how about Heathers!!!

"Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?"

"What's your damage!"

I still quote that movie all the time... LOL

SultanBigPants
02-17-02, 06:33 AM
The Princees Bride was THE MOVIE to watch when I was a kid. And of course the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies. Anybody ever see The Gnomemobile?

Aniko
10-18-03, 09:44 PM
Just wanted to bumped this up, I'll post more later when I have the time.

The bond movies. My parents loved Connery, but my brother and I loved the Roger Moore years.

Also...

Star Wars
American Graffiti
The Poseidon Adventure
Superman
Jaws
Fame
Batman the Movie
Beach Blanket Bingo and Muscle Beach Party :D

I watched alot of black and white classics with my parents also.

linespalsy
10-18-03, 11:45 PM
guess the only ones i was really brought up on were star wars and the like. my family wasnt that big into disney but we had fantasia and dumbo, and i know i was a fan of pinnochio when i was young [though now i'm so very very old and grizzled]. when i was a teenager i started getting introduced to some other "classics" probably starting with the clockwork orange and taxi driver type stuff. also started getting into anime around then, i have to consider akira and wings of honeamise classics of the genre, they're the two canonical ones that really grabbed my fancy . found some other good ones as i went on through high school, like seven samurai, ikiru, seven beauties [not sure how much that one coutns but it definitely [i]should be a classic]. those are the main classics that i saw that really did somethign for me at the time. saw others too back then, like some chaplin and keaton, once upon a time in the west and a whole ton of others that didnt really do anything for me at the time but many of which i've since seen the significance of. particularly the keaton films from the 20s: the playhouse, sherlock, jr., the high sign, steamboat bill, jr. etc.

Piddzilla
10-19-03, 07:41 PM
Taxi Driver is a film that they have showed on swedish television on a regular basis now and then as far back as I can remember. I was probably not more than ten when I saw it the first time and I don't remember what I thought about it. I didn't have a clue about the film being considered a classic, that's for sure though.

It is very hard for me to view this film objectively. It's like having a friend that is a celebrity but that you have known long before he became a celebrity. You know it is great, but you know it too well to be swept off your feet.

I have always liked films a lot. Actually, I have liked films for all my life so it's not until recent years that I have realized that perhaps I like them more than normal people do and I decided to study film at uni. So, after having studied film for a while I decided to watch Taxi Driver once again, but this time with my "film studies glasses". And, yes, I understand why it is a classic. I understand it completely, but I still can't escape that feeling of sitting in front of the tv in the basement in my parents home. Me on the couch beside my sleeping dad, listening to Travis Bickle going: "You talking to me?? You talking to me??". Oh, it's my old pal Taxi Driver... what's so special with that? Hmmmm... Maybe the fact that I have seen it at least ten times but I wouldn't hesitate putting it on right now for the eleventh time.

http://www.the-fan.net/deniro/gallery/79/taxi/td14.jpg

Golgot
10-19-03, 09:00 PM
heheheh, i'm so low brow. I was brought up on repeat viewings of:

Flash Gordan. (and i can't even remember if that's how you spell it :))

Holden Pike
10-19-03, 09:51 PM
"He'll save every one of us!..."

And it's Flash Gordon (1980).

Ezikiel
10-19-03, 09:55 PM
I grew up with a few classics but my favorites were The Star Wars and Back to The Future Trilogies.

Fugitive
10-21-03, 06:35 PM
When in the hell did Back to the Future become a classic? ah well, must be gettin' old...
I can remember 'classics' when I was a kid like Ben Hur and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Ezikiel
10-21-03, 06:47 PM
When in the hell did Back to the Future become a classic? ah well, must be gettin' old...
I can remember 'classics' when I was a kid like Ben Hur and To Kill A Mockingbird.
Well I always considered it a classic :)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6300184234.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

blibblobblib
10-21-03, 08:32 PM
Definatly Back to the future was a classic trilogy for me. Other films that seem to be ones that i always used to watch when i was a child were -

Poseidon Adventure
Naked Gun
Most Disney films
Teenage Mutant hero turtles
The Thing
Terminator
Alien trilogy
All Dogs go to heaven (Animated film and first film i ever cried at)
Shorty Circuit one and two
Legend
Dark Crystal
Gremilins one and two

thats all i can think of for now.....

cradle
10-22-03, 06:52 AM
I grew up just watchign old movies with my dad all the time or sitting in my rocking chair getting scared out of my wits. i grew up on mostly black and white movies and horror movies.
Frankenstein
the Bad Seed
The Fly
King Kong
Rumpelstilsken
killerclowns from outter space
monsters
friday the 13th movies
children of the corns
jasons
a whoel lot i could never think of the names just recognize all the time on the old movie channels.

Johnlindsey289
11-30-04, 12:16 PM
The Last Unicorn.
The Dark Crystal.
The secret of NIMH.
Labyrinth.
The Princess Bride.
Big Trouble in Little China.
Wizard of Oz & Return to Oz.
Willy Wonka.
Gremlins.
Ghostbusters.
An American Tail.
The Land Before Time.
Transformers: The Movie.
Oliver and Company. ( Saw this 4 times in a theater as a child back when it hit theaters back in 1988)
Making Contact. ( It's an extremely overlooked fantasy horror gem from Germany about a kid with psychic powers battles an evil ventriloquist dummy and demons from another dimension, it's directed by Roland Emmerich and i recommend it but only in the 2-Disc DVD which contains the Uncut German language version).

LillyVon
11-30-04, 08:06 PM
I have the memory of a fish, but from what I can recall the movies I grew up with were (to name a few):

The Muppet Movie: "It's a myth, myth" "Yes!?!?!"

The Life of Brian: (honestly. We watched what my parents watched and they watched that on Beta all the time)

Flash Gordon (and when my parents weren't around) Flesh Gordon.

Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink & Less Than Zero were my teen pleasures.

Kingpin
11-30-04, 08:13 PM
Little Nemo
Rock-a-Doodle
Peter Pan
The Wizard of Oz
An American Tail
All Dogs Go to Heaven

These are the only movies that I watched, in rotation, for months everyday when I was younger. As a result of watching them so much, my VCR ate them and I don't own any of them as of today.

Monkeypunch
11-30-04, 08:20 PM
I grew up on Star Wars trilogy, Back to the Future, GhostBusters, The Muppet Movie, Gremlins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Popeye, Howard the Duck, The Three Stooges, Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin), the Smurfs and The Magic Flute, Superman 1, 2, and 3, Three Amigos!, Spaceballs (I get MUCH more of this movie now! LOL), Little Shop Of Horrors (My tape of this is DEAD.), Young Frankenstein, Monty Python and the Holy Grail...there are so many of them!

susan
11-30-04, 08:24 PM
gwtw
wizard of oz
ten commandment
to kill a mockingbird
african queen
casablanca
seven brides for seven brothers
carousel
music man
singin' in the rain

LillyVon
11-30-04, 08:34 PM
I grew up on Star Wars trilogy, Back to the Future, GhostBusters, The Muppet Movie, Gremlins, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Popeye, Howard the Duck, The Three Stooges, Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin), the Smurfs and The Magic Flute, Superman 1, 2, and 3, Three Amigos!, Spaceballs (I get MUCH more of this movie now! LOL), Little Shop Of Horrors (My tape of this is DEAD.), Young Frankenstein, Monty Python and the Holy Grail...there are so many of them!

Damn, I forgot Little Shop of Horrors. My brother and I could not just sing all the songs, but knew the entire movie off by heart.
"Like shooting puppies with a bb gun..."
Hey, it wasn't too sad then! Just now!!! :D

SamsoniteDelilah
11-30-04, 08:39 PM
The Wizard of Oz was on TV every year, and I always begged to watch it.
Song of the South was the first film I left home to see.
Benji was an early one...
I was the age of the casts of The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, Risky Business... Saw all of those many times.

chingutee
02-13-05, 03:48 AM
Sixteen Candles
Teen Witch
Back to the Future I-III
Star Wars Trilogy
Indiana Jones movies
Child's Play
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elm Street 1-whatever
Ghostbusters
TMNT
Legend
She-ra
Superman III
Prom Night
etc . . .

Lance McCool
02-13-05, 01:55 PM
http://www.geocities.com/birgittesc/Images/Ghostbusters.jpg

AND

http://www.petesmoviepage.com/Jurassic/jurpark.gif

Conformist
02-13-05, 10:32 PM
Well I always considered it a classic :)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6300184234.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Def the only movie I can remember from my childhood where I would watch it over and over again!

Mose
02-13-05, 11:06 PM
I always watch movies with my youth with a tad of trepidation. All too often I am disappointed by them and would much rather have been left with my nostalgic memories.

A few that have stood the test of time.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - This was always in the free kids rental section at our local store and eventually they told me I couldn't rent it anymore :)

Star Wars - Of course I mean the original trilogy... Those Ewoks and epic battles between good and bad were as fantastic then as they are now.

James Bond - The old films are very disappointing to a jaded moviegoer such as myself, but the sense of cool exuded to a 12 year old by Sean Connery will never be equaled.

Spaceballs - One of Brooks' best films, especially to a prepubescent boy.

The Princess Bride - I'm not ashamed to admit this has been one of my favorite movies for as long as I can remember.

Cloak and Dagger - I loved this Dabney Coleman flick as a kid!

Gleaming the Cube - An 80's Christian Slater and skateboarding, what more could a kid ask for?

Goonies - One of the movies I am most looking forward to watching with my son.

The Great Escape - The movie that introduced me to Steve McQueen... Fond memories of watching this with my father.

Kickboxer - The best JCVD movie... still fun to watch every now and again.

Commando - One of my favorite action movies... Filled with one-liners!

Weird Science - An older neighbor let us watch this... Dreams of Ms. Lebrock ran rampant through my horny little mind for quite some time.

Terminator - Another film shown to me by an older neighbor... Arnie repairing his eye scared the crap out of me!

That's all for now... More to come later if I can think of any.

libralucilla
02-23-05, 05:30 PM
My Favorites are....
Back To The Future
The Cutting Edge
E.T.
The Princess Bride
Karate Kid
and definitely PeeWee Herman's Big Adventure!!

kevinkelly
02-24-05, 04:05 AM
This thread is a wet dream for this new breed of screenwriters who have no original ideas, but instead are remaking (and ruining, for the most part) everything that was good in the 70s and 80s.

I'm sure all of these films will soon be remade... or at least end up on t-shirts available for purchase at Hot Topic.

Oh... and it makes me feel funny inside when I hear people list "Terminator 2 and Jurrasic Park" as movies they grew up with.

undercoverlover
02-24-05, 07:42 AM
i did my growing up in the 90's so dunno if my films will be different to you guys

Scampi - a little puppy trying to find its way home
All dog's go to heaven
Every disney film i could get my hands on
Little Creeps, i think thats what it was called
The Labrynth
Jurassic Park
Dirty dancing strangely enough, i was too young to know what was really going on but i loved it anyway
Romy and Michelle's high school reunion - i found it at my video store once and got it out every week
Don't tell mom the babysitter's dead
Wizard of Oz
Neverending story - Bastian!
Homeward Bound
Robin Hood - The disney cartoon version i watched every single day - Robin hood and little john running through the forest!

Lone Wolf
02-24-05, 09:39 AM
The Connery and Moore Bond's
Ben Hur
The Great Escape
The Magnificent Seven
The Searchers
The Italian Job

Lone Wolf
02-24-05, 09:40 AM
Oh, sorry. The Quiet Man, and The Alamo.

Garrett
02-24-05, 11:47 AM
Oh... and it makes me feel funny inside when I hear people list "Terminator 2 and Jurrasic Park" as movies they grew up with.

Believe it or not there were several people that grew up in the 90's.

Linko
03-01-05, 01:52 AM
I grew up with...

The Star Wars Trilogy
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (yeah I was 7 when it came out but I loved it)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies
Ghostbusters 1 and 2
Back to the Future Trilogy
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Clue
Crocodile Dundee 1 and 2
Dick Tracy
Drop Dead Fred (why I liked it I have no idea)
Home Alone 1 and 2
The Goonies - my all-time favorite as a kid
Short Circuit 1 and 2
Weekend at Bernie's
Suburban Commando
Surf Ninjas

These were all movies I watched over and over as a kid

led_zeppelin
03-01-05, 09:37 AM
Believe it or not there were several people that grew up in the 90's.

I am one of those.

undercoverlover
03-01-05, 06:17 PM
feels like lots of the peeps on here are older than me, like theres not many youngens on here so i just figured the movies i watched when i grew up would be different from all ya'll

John22
03-01-05, 06:40 PM
Wow, you got a great list of 80's stuff there.....but you also forgot Michael Keaton in "Stone Cold Sober".

joshuafor
03-15-05, 07:31 PM
The Goonies
Top Gun
Sound of Music
Pee Wee
Indiana Jones

nebbit
06-12-05, 07:26 AM
I loved any movie with these guys in. :D

http://cine2020.espaciolatino.com/flynn_errol.jpg http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jul/12sab1.jpg http://www.ez-entertainment.net/features/gregory_peck_2.jpg

http://www.bfi.org.uk/showing/nft/featurearchive/grant/images/arsenic.jpghttp://www.reddisability.org.uk/MarilynM1.jpg http://www.frenchpix.com/images/David%20Niven.jpg

I know,:rolleyes: but hey, you asked ;)

ArchibaldTuttle
06-12-05, 03:45 PM
A couple that stick out in my mind:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Jurassic Park
Honey I Shrunk the Kids

LordSlaytan
06-12-05, 06:22 PM
Well…I was a kiddie in the 70s, so I saw some great classics first run with my Aunt (the only person to really take me to any movies). The biggies were Star Wars, Jaws, Logan’s Run, etc. My first rated R film was Conan: The Barbarian. my best friend and I went to that and all we could talk about after were the boobies. Hey…we were in the peak of puberty. But the films that I really ‘grew up’ with were the ones on TV during the weekends. I grew up watching Lewis and Martin, Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers. The movies I saw often and loved were Journey to the Center of the Earth, Ben-Hur, The Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments, The Dirty Dozen, The Great Escape, Hatari, and many more. It certainly could have been worse.

Lusty Argonian
02-05-09, 12:57 AM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/040924/131222__beauty_l.jpg

Beauty and the Beast for the epic win! I was raised on the Disney renaissance movies like this flick, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. Once I got a little "older" like eight years old, I got into stupid action movies (Beverly Hills Cop, Point Break) and Comedy Central matinee flicks that I can't recollect the names of for the most part. Revenge of the Nerds and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure were the some of the few worth remembering.

FeatureMe
02-05-09, 04:10 PM
the original "mighty morphin power rangers!"

onlinenow
02-05-09, 04:26 PM
Gi Joe

MichIMG
02-06-09, 01:15 PM
HOOK with Robin Williams, best movie ever that I watched when I was younger, probably seen it about 20 times. Hell I'd still watch it today :)

rice1245
02-06-09, 04:01 PM
these aren't necessarily classics but i watched them a LOT when i was younger

Star Wars
The Mummy
Home Alone 1 & 2
Jurrasic Park 1 & 2
E.T.
Poltergeist
Gladiator (I watched it over and over and over and over and over again)
Interview with a Vampire
Mission Impossible II
Heartbreakers
Bring it on
Donnie Darko
Drop Dead Gorgeous
George of the Jungle
Dudley Do Right
Edward Scissorhands
Silence of the Lambs
Jumanji
Man in the Iron Mask
Titanic
War of the Roses (don’t ask why)
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (I had a friend from India in elementary school)
The Crow (my angsty period)
The Swan Princess
Indiana Jones…all of them cept fourth obviously
Mars Attacks
Memento
Fargo
Princess Mononoke
The Perfect Storm
Planet of the Apes (2001 L)
Signs Benji
Milo and Otis
Halloween 1, 4 & 5 I saw the most when I was younger
The Sandlot
Romy and Michelle’s High School Renunion
10 Things I Hate about you
Hook
Sleepy Hollow
Toy Story
Speed
Zoolander
Tower of Terror and other such TV Disney/abc family/nikelodeon stuff
The Truman Show

martian leader
02-06-09, 04:27 PM
Mars Attacks

Puppet Master

Puppet Master 2

Puppet Master 3

Puppet Master 4

Puppet Master 5

Curse of the Puppet Master

Retro Puppet Master

Puppet Master the Legacy

Puppet master VS The Demonic Toys

The Spongebob movie

Etc.

:p:p:p

rufnek
02-06-09, 04:52 PM
I was born in 1943, became 21 in 1964, so the classics from my youth really were classics that I saw in theaters for the first time or in re-release.

Like the rereleases of the original Stagecoach, Casablanca, the Marx Brothers, Disney's Cinderella and Snow White. I was in elementary school when our teachers one day took several of our classes from our segreated school to a segregated theater downtown to see for the first time (for us) a rerelease of Gone With the Wind (I think I can safely say that gave us a perspective on that film that can't be matched by theater audiences today). Took a train trip once with my Cub Scout Pack from Gladewater in East Texas to a Dallas theater to see the first Cinerama film, a mix of roller coaster rides, white rapids, and flights through the Grand Canyon that was a super thrill on that wide, wide, wide screen. I also saw my first 3-D film, House of Wax, in a theater full of spectacled people trying to dodge that paddle-ball bouncing in our faces. Saw Steve McQueen in his first starring role in a theater full of teens at a mid-night showing of the original The Blob; at the time McQueen was the hot star of a TV Western series, Wanted: Dead or Alive. The moment he appeared on the screen, everyone shouted, "Hey, it's Josh Randall!" (his TV character.) I was working at that theater at another midnight show when I met Gabe, one of the Dead End Kids, who at the time was no longer a kid and had a traveling MC act in which he hired local teens to dress up as the mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula and come from behind the screen to "attack" the audience. That may have been the forerunner of audience participation ala The Rocky Horror Show. There also was an impromtu audience participation when a bunch of us in a primarily teenage audience started dancing in the aisles to Bill Haley and the Comets doing "Rock Arund the Clock" during the opening credits of Blackboard Jungle. Saw The Greatest Show on Earth when it first came out--the concession stand sold cotton candy and pink limonade (some of the Big City theaters even had circus acts in the lobby for that movie). Ogled Marilyn Monroe in Niagra and River of No Return, but comic Tom Ewell was the best thing in The Seven Year Itch. Saw all of Judy Holiday's films (she being smart and pretty and as funny as Ewell with whom she appeared in Adam's Rib). Caught Jack Lemmon in his first starring role opposite Holiday, then saw him in the role that made him a star in Mr. Roberts. Had the hots for Kim Novak all through my teens, especially her performance in Bell, Book, and Candle. Was totally floored with the "discoveries" of Brando in The Wild One, and Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. I'd never heard of these guys before, didn't know a thing about them--I was just going to the movies and bam! Saw Paul Newman in his first movie role in The Silver Chalice, where Jack Palance chewed up the scenery as the heavy. Caught Gary Cooper in High Noon and For Whom the Bell Tolls. Saw Sinatra become a real actor, not just a movie star, in From Here to Eternity, Suddenly!, and Man With the Golden Arm. Went to all of Randolph Scott's westerns to get an occational glimpse of Lee Marvin. Went to all of Audey Murphy's movies because to us then pre-teens, he was just the coolest thing ever. Was there to appreciate the superiority of the original 3:10 to Yuma and Moulin Rouge and The Thing. Saw the original The Haunting, which is still the scariest movie ever filmed. But then the Sci-Fi classics like Them!, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and It Came From Another World were fun, as was the series of films starting with The Creature from the Black Lagoon, who I thought of for years everytime I swam in a river, a lake, or just the deep end of the pool.

rufnek
02-06-09, 05:00 PM
I loved any movie with these guys in. :D

http://cine2020.espaciolatino.com/flynn_errol.jpg http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/jul/12sab1.jpg http://www.ez-entertainment.net/features/gregory_peck_2.jpg

http://www.bfi.org.uk/showing/nft/featurearchive/grant/images/arsenic.jpghttp://www.reddisability.org.uk/MarilynM1.jpg http://www.frenchpix.com/images/David%20Niven.jpg

I know,:rolleyes: but hey, you asked ;)

By the way, did you know that, while John Wayne took a deferment for a wife and family to avoid military service in World War II, Sabu (in picture 2) became a naturalized US citizen, joined the Army Air Corps, and flew bombing missions as the belly-gunner on B17s? Sabu is my idea of a real American.

LDGTwty
02-08-09, 05:48 PM
Movies that I was raised on are:

Terminater
Jaws
Overboard
Cash an tango
The goonies
Dawn of the dead
The princess bride
Old John Wayners an Clint Eastwood movies

Harry Lime
02-08-09, 06:00 PM
Star Wars Trilogy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
A Christmas Story
Ghostbusters

These were big when I was a kid.

zedlen
02-11-09, 03:10 AM
Terminator 2
Predator
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Aliens
The Breakfast Club
The Neverending Story
The Dark Crystal
The Labyrinth
Flight Of The Navigator
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, II, III
Aladin
Fern Gully
Hook
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Gremlins

Harry Lime
02-11-09, 03:32 AM
How did I forget Ferris Bueller, and Back to the Future?

zedlen
02-11-09, 07:01 AM
"Life moves pretty fast if you don't stop and look around once in a while you might miss it"

Iroquois
02-11-09, 08:46 AM
It doesn't get much more classic than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

rufnek
02-11-09, 03:55 PM
It doesn't get much more classic than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Well, to each his own, but films that I took my kids to see in their first release just don't seem to me old enough to be judged "classics." :)

Sedai
02-11-09, 04:13 PM
The films I consider classics these days didn't come out while I was growing up...

If I have to stick to that paradigm, I think I would have to choose Raiders of the Lost Ark, as well, as that came out when I was a teen.

mikeython1
02-11-09, 04:40 PM
I just watched Krull the other day(hence my new avatar) This movie is classic and I used to love watching it as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py5dRkvsAkM

also.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DcWtkKeIY

WSSlover
02-12-09, 08:51 PM
Okay...here we go again, folks:

Sound of Music
West Side Story
Georgy Girl
Lawrence of Arabia
Mutiny on the Bounty
Midnight Cowboy
The Graduate
How the West was Won
Cat Ballou
2001: A Space Odyssey
Planet of the Apes
James Bond movies
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Spartacus
The Incredible Journey
The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
A Hard Day's Night
Help!
Murder She Said
A Shot in the Dark
The Pink Panther
Endless Summer
Lion in Winter
Oliver
My Fair Lady
The Music Man
Merrill's Marauders
Bon Voyage!
The Monster that Challenged the World
Putney Swope
If
The Two of Us
Easy Rider
Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
True Grit
Charlie Chaplin movies: i. e. Gold Rush, Modern Times, The Great Dictator
Mary Poppins
Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
The Time Machine
The Mouse that Roared
Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck movies
Old Yeller

All these in addition to my ten favorite movies on my profile!

Iroquois
02-12-09, 11:24 PM
Well, to each his own, but films that I took my kids to see in their first release just don't seem to me old enough to be judged "classics." :)

Well, outside of whatever old Disney films or Bond films I watched on video (and maybe even Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm not entirely sure if that could really be deemed a "classic" - I guess it should be, though), Raiders of the Lost Ark seemed like an obvious choice to me.

rufnek
02-16-09, 05:13 PM
Well, outside of whatever old Disney films or Bond films I watched on video (and maybe even Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but I'm not entirely sure if that could really be deemed a "classic" - I guess it should be, though), Raiders of the Lost Ark seemed like an obvious choice to me.

Raiders is the only Spielberg film I've ever really liked. Don't know if it will prove to be a classic still being watched after those of us who saw its first run in the theaters are all gone (it might) or if it is really just a homage to the Saturday matinee serials or action classics like King Solomon's Mines that I grew up with as a kid. Actually, I think it may be both; It stands alone on its own merits, which is more than I can say about the two--no, three knockoffs that followed it. The original was good, but now it's time to put away the hat and whip.